MERGED ---> So how is it? + Now that it has soaked in, what's your review of Windows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Angtre01 said:
The Chorus is unreal. Beautiful Day meets the Beatles. Bono's voice has NEVER been better...

i love the song and all, but i'm not gonna go as far as to say his voice has never been better... it is very clear, as it is on the studio version of saints... but i believe that's due to the production, not his voice.

as far as power and range, the period from UF through ZooTV is still his high point.

It's.... good. I can't say it's anything more than that with a straight face :| It will definitely make top 5 in the UK. I do think it is a better song than electrical storm but better than Streets or The Fly? NO way. "Solid" is the word that comes to mind regarding Window in the Skies.

Good song, but not album-worthy, imo...I actually like Electrical Storm better. I think the only reason I don't like it is because it's a pop song, and not the shimmering guitar-driven stuff that I love. Hopefully the new album won't sound just like this.

How is this a song that 'only U2 could do'? This is one of the few U2 songs that sounds like it could be from just any pop-rock band around the corner. Aside from some of the lyrics.

I'm starting to really love this song. :drool: It's gorgeous, has great atmosphere, interestingly structured...I just really like it. Great lyrics too. :combust:

I don't understand how anyone could say this is not a good song. I CAN understand that it's not what some people were looking for. For me, it's exactly what I was hoping for. For those of us who love the poppy U2, it doesn't get much better than this. Those who love the rock/dark U2 will have to wait until the next album. Likely it will be a mix of rock and pop songs. There's enough U2 to go around.

U2freakboy said:
I don't understand how anyone could say this is not a good song. I CAN understand that it's not what some people were looking for. For me, it's exactly what I was hoping for. For those of us who love the poppy U2, it doesn't get much better than this. Those who love the rock/dark U2 will have to wait until the next album. Likely it will be a mix of rock and pop songs. There's enough U2 to go around.

:up: I'm craving the dark U2, but this will tide me over just fine.

October 2007. It will be one of the greatest months ever.

Catman said:
^^^ who the hell said it was better than Streets? lol...

Ummm... people saying it is up there with U2's best? And since Streets is almost universally regarded as one of U2 best songs....

LemonMelon said:

October 2007. It will be one of the greatest months ever.

Possibly. But U2 won´t for sure be the reason for that.

2008 the earliest for the new album, mark my words.

Rastat said:
The ORIGINAL EDGE DEMO of Streets was 6/8, and it pissed off the band, but they changed it to 4/4 and that's what it is.

according to the making of the joshua tree, the song still goes from 6/8 to 4/4. they said is shouldn't work but it does.

I agree with a lot of the comments on here. Good poppy tune, but nothing special, U2 by numbers. Compilation album filler...

Swan269 said:

according to the making of the joshua tree, the song still goes from 6/8 to 4/4. they said is shouldn't work but it does.

True, the intro (most of it at least) is in 6/8. Listen to larry playing it on rattle and hum, he puts his sticks together five times between every hi-hat stroke. (1+5=6.) It changes to 4/4 in the last part of the intro.

On the album the change from 6/8 to 4/4 comes roughly at 1:10.

If anybody is interested:wink:

Martinuk100 said:
I agree with a lot of the comments on here. Good poppy tune, but nothing special, U2 by numbers. Compilation album filler...
how can a song that dosent sound like anything U2 have done be U2 by numbers? IMO of course

I place it on the same level as the Sweetest Thing. Not great, not bad, decent for a Best Of I guess. Hope they change direction on the new record.

Chizip said:
I place it on the same level as the Sweetest Thing. Not great, not bad, decent for a Best Of I guess. Hope they change direction on the new record.

wits is the sweetest thing.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i can hear the original of the species comparison... don't here sweetest thing at all

oots = mccartney composition with lennon cascading guitars.

wits = lennon composition.

agree?

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i can hear the original of the species comparison... don't here sweetest thing at all

Ooooh cant you seeee..

Ooooh ooh the sweetest thing...

You can almost sing the Oooh ohhh the sweetest thing part over the Oooh cant you see part.

Plus, the Sweetest Thing is poppier and more upbeat than OOTS, and so is Windows, so thats where I think that comes in.

Probably not a perfect equation, but it works in my mind :wink:

everything is better in wits compared to sweetest thing.

- the chorus

- the verses

- the ending, especially the ending.

I read one or two Oasis comparisons... Gallagher bros can only dream of coming up with WITS. Eat your heart out Noel.

:huh: E. Storm was U2 by the numbers. This isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom