MERGED ---> So how is it? + Now that it has soaked in, what's your review of Windows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also love the quiet chorus, but something does sound off about Edge's part, too loud or something.
I think its wonderful that within the first two days of hearing the new track we've already heard people proclaim it is either about God, love (romantic) or justice (Africa).
I think its one of those great U2 songs that will mean something different for everyone.

Thank you Caroni and my apologies, I went back one page and saw the comment about not request on this thread. Oops! Thanks again.

my favorite part so faR:

don;t like the "oh oh oh" part, i think they do it too much, could have done without it, but after it:

Please don't ever let me out of here
I've got no shame oh no, oh no!

love that part and how he sings the next line...and edge's guitar during that part

growing on me even more, love how it ends with bono singing and edge in the background....or whatever :) sounds great

Yep listened to it a couple of times and as first thought its pretty damn ordinary. Uninspiring is what comes to mind.

rjhbonovox said:
Yep listened to it a couple of times and as first thought its pretty damn ordinary. Uninspiring is what comes to mind.

"I know I hurt you and I made you cry
Did everything but murder you and I
But love left a window in the skies
And to love I rhapsodize"

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Uninspired? Never! :angry:

I have listened to it alot tonight. I have to say my opinion isnt changing much. Its alright, not great, not bad. Like I said before I can see why this was put on the Greatest hits and not saved for the next studio album. Will be interesting to see if they do it live.

LemonMelon said:

"I know I hurt you and I made you cry
Did everything but murder you and I
But love left a window in the skies
And to love I rhapsodize"

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Uninspired? Never! :angry:

Am I the only person who has to dictionary .com rhapsodize? :shifty:

An amazing, beautiful, soaring U2 song. This really is one of their best. I am blown away. I've been listening to it non-stop since it was leaked.

Their best 3 songs from the 2000s are Beautiful Day, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, and now Window in the Skies has to be included as well.

Imagine a stadium of 80,000 people, screaming the chorus, "Oh can't you see what love has done" as Bono holds up the microphone. Just the thought gives me chills.

justinlacy said:
My thoughts on the song...

Sound seems to have a strong Beatles influence...

Message is about the the love of God...through the death and ressurection of Christ (..the is stone it has been moved, the grave is now a groove, all debts are now removed...), reminds me of the message presented by the Rev. Billy Graham

Christ took on our sins, died for them, and then overcame death. Christ states there is only "one" way to the Father - through the Son. The one "Window".

That is why I think the word "Window" is singular and not plural.

Interesting ideas.

...One comment, though - the lyric is actually "the grade is now a groove." I've seen it transcribed as "grain" and now "grave," but it is GRADE. Just wanted to clear that up!

:)

Am I the only one that thinks that the line "to love I rhapsodize" is embarassingly horrible? It sounds so forced to me. Reminds me of the lyrics to a song a 14 year old would write while trying to sound deep, poetic and grammatically sophisticated only to look back 5 years later in utter horror.

Now that it has soaked in, what's your review of Windows?

Now that it has been nearly 48 hours since most of us first heard "Windows," and you've had time to let it soak in, what's your review? I also thought it was time to start a new review thread, since the others are bogged down with links and e-mail addresses, which shouldn't be a problem now.

Now that I've listened to it at least 20 times, I can say with near 100 percent certainty that it is my favorite U2 song since Beautiful Day. I like it better than everything on Bomb, and most everything on ATYCLB. I loved Windows the first time I heard it, and I can honestly say I love it more everytime I listen to it. Considering this was my second favorite beach clip, I can only imagine what they will do with 404. Hopefully we'll find out about a year from now. In the meantime, "Windows" will definitely keep me happy.

shart1780 said:
Am I the only one that thinks that the line "to love I rhapsodize" is embarassingly horrible? It sounds so forced to me. Reminds me of the lyrics to a song a 14 year old would write while trying to sound deep, poetic and grammatically sophisticated only to look back 5 years later in utter horror.

Eh, I know what you mean, and I've criticized Bono a lot over the last 2 albums for half-assing it on his lyrics, but I don't mind this line. The only part about it that's weird to me is that it is a clear, explicit, and direct explanation of what the song is all about: God's love.

Historically, U2 songs were intentionally vague, and the band was always coy when asked what a lyric meant. Lately, though, Bono has gotten a lot more blunt. He doesn't hide what he's talking about, and doesn't dress up his ideas in poetic phrasings.

"To love I rhapsodize" just means that Bono is giving praise to God: love = God, and rhapsodize = to give praise. The lyric "love left a window in the skies" is another clue that love = God. It's Bono's way of saying God gives everyone a path to salvation if they want to take it.

I'm not religious or anything, but Jesus, what a hell of a song. Absolutely effing mind blowing. I was very skeptical about the whole Rick Rubin idea, but if this song is any indication of how well he and U2 work together, they had BETTER bring him back for the new album.

A monster track. And as amazing as it is, it would sound even more mind-blowing in a stadium. Imagine Bono holding up the mic, as 80,000 of us sing out "Oh can't you see / what love has done..."

I had no idea this song was going to be so good. I assumed it would be another "Electrical Storm" or "The Hands That Built America" -- an interesting song that I listened to a few times, but that was it. And instead we get a landmark U2 song.

LyricalDrug, I totally agree. This blows the other "Best of" tracks out of the water. To me, the only one within shouting distance is "The Sweetest Thing," and even that is far behind this one.

I still think it's a great song, brilliant even, probably better than anything on HTDAAB and right up their with the top tracks on ATYCLB, it's already my most listened to song on last.fm

Chizip said:
ask me again in 6 months

That is so true for me also. Although I generally know if I like or dislike a song within a few listens, to really get a good, solid feel for a song takes quite a while (unless it's utter crap). I have to listen to it, listen to other songs (by the same artist and by other artists), listen to it some more -- just give it a bit of space so it can settle in with all the other songs I've heard.

Sometimes it take me years to realise a song or album is really great or just mediocre. Certainly the newness has to wear off before I am able to really give a fair assessment.

I'll try to get my glowing review in before someone drops a crap grenade in to the mix for the sake of ball hopping....

It's uplifting, it's bright, it's everything we've come to hope from U2 & more. If this single was from any other act we would be drolling in envy but instead those following me have there clubs out to beat it down.

LyricalDrug said:

Eh, I know what you mean, and I've criticized Bono a lot over the last 2 albums for half-assing it on his lyrics, but I don't mind this line. The only part about it that's weird to me is that it is a clear, explicit, and direct explanation of what the song is all about: God's love.

Historically, U2 songs were intentionally vague, and the band was always coy when asked what a lyric meant. Lately, though, Bono has gotten a lot more blunt. He doesn't hide what he's talking about, and doesn't dress up his ideas in poetic phrasings.

"To love I rhapsodize" just means that Bono is giving praise to God: love = God, and rhapsodize = to give praise. The lyric "love left a window in the skies" is another clue that love = God. It's Bono's way of saying God gives everyone a path to salvation if they want to take it.

I'm not religious or anything, but Jesus, what a hell of a song. Absolutely effing mind blowing. I was very skeptical about the whole Rick Rubin idea, but if this song is any indication of how well he and U2 work together, they had BETTER bring him back for the new album.
I agree, Lyrical Drug. This song, especially the falsetto chorus, practically implores you to come along for a bit of a trip (I think I can see what Bono meant about it being a "psychedelic pop tune" now)....it pulls you up onto a sort of hypnotic ferris wheel en masse, and just throws you up...slowly, slowly, higher and higher with each listen. And eventually, you're way up there, and you get lost in the joy of just being up there, if not just being....without even realizing how you got there. And that's the essence of joy. Only the moment can create joy, because that's where it is born. Without that moment, it's dead. And here U2 have captured that moment and somehow kept it intact throughout the production. It's a bit of genius, and when it comes to pop songs, they have to rouse you. And this one does gallantly.

LyricalDrug said:
:up: I'm not really religious, but I know religion, and I know the bible, so I'm always good at picking up Bono's religious references in songs (in fact, that's what got me into U2, randomly hearing a song, and going 'WTF, that's about God!' and being surprised to hear that from a secular band) so I picked up on what Window in the Skies is about immediately.
Though I have to say, I had a humourous moment when it also reminded me of this quote from the movie "Saved!":

Lillian: I keep trying to remind myself that when Jesus closes a door he opens a window.
Mary: Yeah, so we have something to jump out of.

LyricalDrug said:
I'm not religious or anything, but Jesus, what a hell of a song.
Nice wording there :lol:

shart1780 said:

When I heard "rhapsodize," I instantly thought of Rhapsody, on which Saints was released early on. I'm kind of surprised that no one else has commented on that (and I didn't at first because I didn't want to start an onslaught of "U2 have sold out," and all that crap). I honestly believe that they were probably working on the Rhapsody/Saints deal while Bono was finishing the lyrics for Window & the word just struck a chord with him. I steal words for songs like that all the time. The fact that "rhapsodize" fits with meanings that LyricalDrug & others have posted probably gave an extra push for using the word.

Is there any link on the net where i can listen to the song? I still haven't heard it!

Catman said:

You have no idea how much I agree with that statement! While I do enjoy ES - it's got that classic slow-building, up to a climax thing going on - it also contains possibly the worst lyric Bono has ever written ("heavy as a truck"? WTF bono?).

I completely agree too. ES is the quintessential "U2-by-numbers" song for me, which by the way doesn't make it a bad song at all, even when it's 'by numbers' U2 is still better than 95% of other bands ! :wink:

I really feel something more with WITS, it sounds real to me, not forced. And the tempo, melody and production are really different from the usual 'U2-by-number' song, a category in which I would put ES, Walk On, Kite, Miracle Drug, COBL, Crumbs, Yahweh (all good or very good songs btw), but not WITS.

But it's just impossible to compare and rank U2 songs properly anyways. Of course WITS is no Streets, WOWY, or One, but I think it could be compared to BD (although hard to say if it will stand the test of time as BD did): a really high quality, feel good pop song from U2-00s, that has a strong chance to stand among some of their best. But then again I think I could put about 65% of U2 songs in the 'some of their best' category :wink: They ARE really that good!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom