MERGED ---> So how is it? + Now that it has soaked in, what's your review of Windows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jacobus said:
another eunuch song. i am so sad and angry wtf is this crap? ...lalalalaalala ooooh can't you seeeeeeeee blablabla
too much jinglebells too much falsetto too much OOTS too much TST too much the same again. omg one of their worst songs ever.

totally AMU :down:
well i dont think anyone expected a different opinion from you to be honest

Just listened 3 times!!! Any new U2 exciting to me! :hyper: Very catchy song.

Now I have to get ready for school. :shifty: If anyone has a better recording of it, I'd love a PM! :wink:

Not really sure what to think so far. It's energetic and catchy, so it has every chance to do well on radio. But on the other hand I think it lacks some "emotionell weight". (If I wasn't so happy right now I would perhaps say that the average spice girls song has more emotionell weight, but that might be a little bit to much:wink: )

I'm glad that they put it on the singles collection, I think it makes more sense there than on a regular album.

Perhaps it would have been better for me to keep quit for a while and give it some more time before saying anything, cause time will tell how good the song is.

I love this song. It has a post-beatles Lennon vibe to it.
Great (dense) production too. Way better than Lillywhite's shit job on the Bomb.

One of the best U2000 songs yet, maybe only second best to Ground Beneath her feet...

Oh, and an AWESOME vocal. What a great falsetto, reminiscent of CHFIL...

KUEFC09U2: well i dont think anyone expected a different opinion from you to be honest
i am sorry but i hoped for a quality song...and all i got is a stinker.
WITS is just another song for all the casual schicki-micky clientele. its a pompous song with all the bad ingredients of the last few album sessions. its boring and lame...sorry for my harsh critic.
but this song is on the same low level as e.g THTBA, ES, MD, POE, SYCMIOYO, CFYT...
where has all the creativity gone:scratch:

OK here are my initial impressions, keeping in mind that it takes time to properly judge any song, especially to compare it to older stuff.

Some context:
-Favourite album AB, closely followed by JT.
-I think overall U2 is still making absolutely fantastic music, and it never cease to amaze me, that being said they HAVE taken an 'pop-adult-contemporary' direction with the last two albums and I do wish they would go back to darker/deeper stuff.
-I LOVED BD when I first hear it and still do today. But the first time I listened to ATYCLB it was a bit of a let down, and although there are a few really good songs on that album I don't listen to it much anymore.
-I LOVED Vertigo when I first heard it and still do, awesome rock song. I had a pretty good feeling over other Bomb songs after first listen, and I think it's far superior to ATYCLB, but there is still *something* missing, some kind of spark, and I don't like the production either. But overall very strong collection of songs.
-Other recent non-album songs: Hands is their worst song ever, Electrical Storm and TGBHF are reasonably good U2 songs, but nothing massive. I liked them at first but wasn't blown away.
-I wasn't too excited about the beach clips at all, and even a bit worried. 400 was the most promising to me though.

Window in the Skies: I LOVE IT!
-It's a fantastic pop song.
-GREAT vocals, I love the fact that Bono is not pushing too much (which he was on most of Bomb)
-GREAT production, GREAT drums, GREAT melody.
-It's super catchy, I think it could be a massive hit, maybe bigger than anything since BD. It's a song that I think can reach many, U2 fans and non-U2 fans alike.

And most importantly, I think it has that 'spark' that most of the last two albums were missing somehow. I can't get it out of my head, and it has that effect on me that only great U2 songs have: it puts a smile on my face, a tear in my eye, and gives me chills all at the same time.

I can sort of understand that some people who really prefer the darker and deeper 90s stuff would be a bit dissapointed, because there is nothing revolutionary about this song. But what was needed was a powerful, universal, catchy song for the U218 compilation, and WITS is actually really exceeding my expectations on that front.

I do kind of hope they get more experimental with the next album, but really this song feels natural, not forced, and IT'S MAKING ME SO HAPPY! :happy: And no, I don't say that every time I hear a new U2 song.

Only time will really tell, but really so far I am impressed.

I love U2 :heart:

jacobus said:
WITS is just another song for all the casual schicki-micky clientele. its a pompous song with all the bad ingredients of the last few album sessions. its boring and lame...sorry for my harsh critic.
but this song is on the same low level as e.g THTBA, ES, MD, POE, SYCMIOYO, CFYT...
ok but i like those songs, so does that make me such a bad person? that i actually have a totally different taste in music to you? and i do actually find this a quality song so again am i bad for that?

what amazes me the most the likes of yourself and mr shaun vox despise this period so much, yet after 6 years of it your still floating around just critisising EVERYTHING they do?, would your time not be better spent doing something you do like?

jacobus said:
I hate to say it, but I agree with you. I actually don't mind the song, but its an average pop song at best. What I fail to understand is how the same band who rock out stadiums on a nightly basis, and have a lead guitarist who has been on fire lately and cuts loose on songs like Electric Co and The Fly then goes into a studio and writes a song which is just so tame.

I reckon these guys need to be locked up in a big brother type scenario, spend some real time with each other to the point of wanting to punch each others lights out, and then write a song about how they feel.

oceane said:
OK here are my initial impressions, keeping in mind that it takes time to properly judge any song, especially to compare it to older stuff.

Some context:
-Favourite album AB, closely followed by JT.
-I think overall U2 is still making absolutely fantastic music, and it never cease to amaze me, that being said they HAVE taken an 'pop-adult-contemporary' direction with the last two albums and I do wish they would go back to darker/deeper stuff.
-I LOVED BD when I first hear it and still do today. But the first time I listened to ATYCLB it was a bit of a let down, and although there are a few really good songs on that album I don't listen to it much anymore.
-I LOVED Vertigo when I first heard it and still do, awesome rock song. I had a pretty good feeling over other Bomb songs after first listen, and I think it's far superior to ATYCLB, but there is still *something* missing, some kind of spark, and I don't like the production either. But overall very strong collection of songs.
-Other recent non-album songs: Hands is their worst song ever, Electrical Storm and TGBHF are reasonably good U2 songs, but nothing massive. I liked them at first but wasn't blown away.
-I wasn't too excited about the beach clips at all, and even a bit worried. 400 was the most promising to me though.

Window in the Skies: I LOVE IT!
-It's a fantastic pop song.
-GREAT vocals, I love the fact that Bono is not pushing too much (which he was on most of Bomb)
-GREAT production, GREAT drums, GREAT melody.
-It's super catchy, I think it could be a massive hit, maybe bigger than anything since BD. It's a song that I think can reach many, U2 fans and non-U2 fans alike.

And most importantly, I think it has that 'spark' that most of the last two albums were missing somehow. I can't get it out of my head, and it has that effect on me that only great U2 songs have: it puts a smile on my face, a tear in my eye, and gives me chills all at the same time.

I can sort of understand that some people who really prefer the darker and deeper 90s stuff would be a bit dissapointed, because there is nothing revolutionary about this song. But what was needed was a powerful, universal, catchy song for the U218 compilation, and WITS is actually really exceeding my expectations on that front.

I do kind of hope they get more experimental with the next album, but really this song feels natural, not forced, and IT'S MAKING ME SO HAPPY! :happy: And no, I don't say that every time I hear a new U2 song.

Only time will really tell, but really so far I am impressed.

I love U2 :heart:

:applaud:

Agree with everything, save for the beach clip comment---I was excited by them, esp 402 and 404. But the rest of your post is pretty dead-on for me.

It's catchy and has great vocals, I like the song very much and cannot get it out of my head. Maybe they wanted to make a Beatles tribute, recoring in Abbey Road and all, so the Beatles reference surely is no coincidence. I like it because it's so totally different from Saints, which is the second "new" song on the album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom