MERGED-->RARHOF Broadcast + rock n hall of fame... u2 at the rock n roll hall of fame

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
unosdostres14 said:
The third u2 kodak moment made me almost cry. Bono was describing a concert they did in Arizona when they were campaigning for MLK's birthday to be a national holiday. The FBI and people were telling him not to play the show but they did anyways. During the third verse of Pride, he closed his eyes, awaiting the chance to meet his creator, and when he opened his eyes, Adam Clayton was standing in front of him, playing his bass.

The rest of my family had never heard that story before, so when Bono shared it tonight, they thought it was a really neat story :).

Originally posted by unosdostres14
U2 absolutely is the greatest band of all time....

Damn right, they are. That was freakin' AMAZING tonight. The band sounded fantastic and looked fantastic ("I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" actually got me a little teary-eyed tonight, which is interesting, 'cause while I've always loved that song, it's never done that to me before, so...)-there wasn't a bad note in any of their songs. And I loved it when Bono sprayed the champange all over the place-yeah! You're being inducted, why not celebrate a little, go a little crazy, right? :up: to the crowd, too-a standing ovation, wow. And they were having fun during the songs and everything-happy to see that.

Bruce's speech was absolutely wonderful-humorous and heartfelt and all that good stuff-he proved yet again why he is one of the coolest people ever. And I thought this was so neat-when Bruce was singing on "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For", you noticed Edge at one point looking in his direction and smiling-U2 looked so awed and thrilled to be performing with Bruce, and Bruce looked just as awed and thrilled to be performing with them. Their friendship was very noticeable tonight, and I thought that was so cool. And U2 gave some nice little acceptance speeches, too-made some excellent points regarding music's importance and everything, and they seemed genuinely touched and honored to be there, as they should be.

I was thinking about this tonight, too-okay, I've only been really into these guys' music for almost 3 years, but I've been alive for most of their career and have always liked their music, so seeing this was pretty cool for me as is, same with those who became fans later on in U2's career and all that, but I can't imagine how those of you who've been fans since the very beginning must be feeling right now-you got the first chances to watch the band developing each and every step of the way and all that. My dad's always loved this band's music-been into them from the beginning, and he was very happy to see these guys inducted tonight.

In regards to other parts of the show-the mixing of the performances and acceptance speeches bothered me a bit at first, but after a while, I got used to it and it stopped bothering me, personally. And I thought all the speeches from both the presenters (yes, even Justin's) and the performers were great. And each artist being inducted tonight sounded great, too. My sister and I did think it would've been cool if, at the end, each artist that was there tonight either as a presenter or a performer picked one of their own songs that sounded the most like something Bo Diddley-inspired (i.e., U2's "Desire", for example) and they'd all come out on stage with those who were doing Bo Diddley songs and did a little medley of them all or something. But the ending they had was still cool nonetheless, and I can't really think of any major complaints I have with this show.

Okay, so yeah, long-winded post over-congratulations to every single artist inducted tonight :applaud:. And seeing as the focus in this thread is obviously mainly on U2, you guys kicked arse tonight, you totally deserve this honor, and I think I speak for everyone here when I say that we're all very proud of you guys :). Rock on.

Angela

i just read on U2's official message board that bono "aped" jim kerr from simple minds (I guess regarding the issue where jim attacked bono for backslapping tony blair a few weeks back, etc). when or where did this happen?

Greenslimer, I think I read the post to which you were refering. The way I read it sounds like Bono impersonated (aped) Jim Kerr. That doesn't mean that it was negative, or positive, just that he impersonated him. I guess we can see with our own eyes once the tv show is available for download.

Amazing! Great speeches, great performances!!!! Jut when I thought I couldn't love this band anymore!

Thank you Gorman!

It was absolutley amazing last night. I dont think it could have been any better.

Curious, does anyone know where I can find a transcript of the Boss' speach?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Who's Jojo? The little part about Ali and something that sounded like Jojo? Any clue?

I believe he said JOFO.

:wink:

Does anyone know what Bono was talking about when he mentioned fights in the bathroom? He didn't look very happy when he was talking. I got the feeling he was talking to someone in particular. That section of the speech seemed very strange to me.

Teta040 said:
For me, the scariest thing was finding out that the United States Supreme Court court actually heard a similar case, "Sony Vs Betamax", in 1984, to decide whether VCR's could be declared illegal. The court, which had a more left-leaning makeup than today (think about that, it was the heightof the Reagan era, and Congress was also Democratic), decided, as we all know, in favor of Betamax. SONY was concerned that the prospect of people being allowed to tape programs off of TV would hurt film and TV viewersip.

All your points are excellent. I'm just writing to make a correction. SONY made the Betamax - so I highly doubt they'd sue their own creation. ;) I believe it was Universal vs. Sony over the BetaMax.

The irony is that while Sony won, since they limited their technology and refused to make it more "universal". The same problem is occurring with Sony's new music player. The iPod may only work with iTunes, but it will upload about any mp3 - from a download or from a CD. This more universal aspect has made the iPod dominant in the marketplace. In contrast, Sony is having the same problem again.

Nonetheless, your points stand. Movie studios ultimately discovered that they can make more $$ from video rentals and purchases than they can from theaters. In fact, some movies are often big hits on DVD's than they were in theaters. Two popular movies, "Fight Club" and "Shawshank Redepmtion", were not big money-makers in the U.S. (could even be considered flops). But both made more in DVD sales that they did in the theater and are now well known films as a result. Analogously, the DVD sales for "Family Guy" was SO good that FOX decided to bring back this series!! Had the court case gone against SONY, studios would've lost a fortune.

For years I argued that the music industry was behind the times. The 'net wasn't going away. People were already downloading and trading boots and .wav or realaudio files in the mid and late 90's. The 'net made these trades (or purchases) so much easier. Then came mp3 fils and file sharing networks. Suddenly people could get any song they wanted in minutes! So what was the music industry doing? Were they trying to tap into this? NO! They filed lawsuits and wasted years and years before iTunes *finally* came along. iTunes proved to the industry that there's a fortune to be made from the 'net and that people are willing to pay for songs!

Now the movie industry is doing the same thing the music industry is doing. Sure, places like MovieLink allow downloads - but only of much older films - movies people have either bought or seen months if not years ago. Hollywood needs to make movie downloads of NEW films available. Release them to theaters as normal. Just like CD's, people still like going to the movies. The two formats aren't dead. But also make these items available for a reasonable price online. Then watch the $$ pour in. Will there still be piracy? You bet! But at least now they are tapping into some of that - whereas now they aren't.

But the big wigs in music and film are so afraid of new technology (which is even more ironic given the nature of their work) and afraid of how they can get $$ from said technology, that they'd rather fight it than work with it. You'd think by now they would have learned their lessons (from cassette taps and videotapes and DVD's and iTunes), but alas...

Also important in the RRHofF speeches is Bono's comment about the music industry overall. There are a ton of great new bands out there right now. Some are making a dent on the U.K. charts at least, but not so much here in the U.S. And I can't help but wonder how much longer these bands will be around because they aren't yet widely successful. Gone are the days of a band building an audience base until they break out. If they don't have a hit song by their second album, they're out. If this thinking was true years ago, we would have lost out on some brilliant music. Even in TV this is true. "Seinfeld" was not a mega-hit at first. It slowly built an audience and then became the #1 show on TV. NBC made a fortune from "Seinfeld". These days, though, chances are the show would've been cancelled after the first or second season - if that. There've been a lot of good programs cancelled after 6-10 airings because they didn't blow out the competition. But did the network advertise the show enough? Did the network even allow an audience to form? This type of thinking - where it's $$ now at the expense of later - is hurting everyone and it's a shame. I see some major problems down the road...

Sorry, I just want to add that I know he was referencing Irish weddings but the look on his face, and the seriousness.....

The EasyTree video link is on the previous page. I got to say, these are some of the best performances of U2 I've seen ever. The tour is going to blow everyone into the next milliennium...:yes:

The easytree link doesn't make sense to me. It says 'Error: not logged in'. Can somebody please post a ysi link?

For easytree to work, you need a bit torrent client and to register an account at the easytree site (it's free, but you have to wait for a slot to open up). The actual file is too big for so unless someone re-encodes it or releases a smaller file, you are out of luck.

MissMoo said:
Does anyone know what Bono was talking about when he mentioned fights in the bathroom? He didn't look very happy when he was talking. I got the feeling he was talking to someone in particular. That section of the speech seemed very strange to me.

It was a joke. Irish weddings are exactly what he described. No one was fighting in the bathroom however.

Anyone making mp3s? Video is too much for me (I have dial-up), but I'd love to download the audio for the songs. ..

@ gorman any chance of another video link if possible please?
the one's you posted are a no go

easytree gonna take ages..

if you could help me out

cheers BB Mac

For anyone who's interested in recording it to VCR/DVD it does come on again tonight at 9pm(ET) - 8 central.

Rock On TV has it listed for the following date's and time:

Monday: 1pm ET: (12 noon C)
Tuesday: 8pm ET - (7 pm C)
Wed: 11 am ET/ (10 C)
Thursday: 1:am ET - (12 Midnight C) and (9pm ET - 8 C)

MTV jammed is also being shown on MTV2 this week. Which means I have to start looking for someone who carries that channel on their cable and will let me come over and record it. My cable company doesn't carry it and it was accidently taped over, when I was trying to figure out a different VCR with no instructions, during the Grammys.
Got to have the mtvjammed back.

Wed :1:30 pm (ET)
Mon 3/28 @ 1am (ET) and 10:30am (ET)
Wed. 3/30 @ 3:30am (ET):sad:

Now keep in mind, sometimes (most times) VH1 will schedule stuff and never show it, or they change it..
So please don't shoot the messenger.:wink:

When I first read about this Adam story in one of the earlier books or mags, (it's been so long ago) I did cry.

It so rare that someone can honestly say they could do this for someone other than a family - a friend, then again, prove it.
You hope you could, really would, do this, but who knows??
With that said, I don't believe there is any debate.
This is a family/band and it's all encompassing :heart:
Like Ali said in her Edun interview, they have 4 children, etc - and a rock band. :heart:
Adam proved he would take the risk, and I know they all would.
That I understand. :up:

What a great job they did. I'm so proud of the boys. Only makes me want November 13th to come all that much quicker though. Their speeches were great and I loved the Boss bit on Still Haven't Found. I watched it again today on VH-1 just in case I missed something last night. Great show.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom