MERGED-->New Song titles - Q Magazine + New song titles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

windylad

Babyface
New Song titles - Q Magazine

New song titles in the September Q Magazine are : -

Crumbs from your table
City of Burning lights
Man & Woman
Yahweh
Vertigo
Sometimes you cant make it on your own

enjoy!!!!!!

New Song Titles

Just read this on u2log.com

U2 album details in Q magazine
Q Magazine has published various details on U2?s upcoming album in their October 2004 issue, due to hit the newsstands in the next few days.

Q state that the album is released November 22nd and has eleven tracks of which they mention 6 by name:

Vertigo (the single)

Sometimes You Can?t Make It On Your Own

City Of Burning Lights

Man & A Woman

Yaweh

Crumbs From Your Table

http://www.u2log.com/

Sounds different and political. :drool:

damn, thanks for that. Haven't seen a few of these, I can't wait to hear "crumbs from your table." But where is "full metal jacket" or "Native son?" DAMMMN ITT!!!!

I will be a happy camper is "Full Metal Jacket" makes it. I really do like "City of Burning Lights". Sounds very UF.

Add to that "All because of you" and there are only four left! Tough, Full Metal Jacket, etc...

Ya, theres only five left, and I think you have to add:
1. All Because of You
2. Tough
3. Miracle Drug
4. Full Metal Jacket (or native son)
5. ????

Where's Xanax and Wine? Did that become miracle drug? anyone know. FMJ or whatever they changed it to has to make it. How did it go from "the mother of rock n roll tunes" to not making the final cut? Dont see that hapenning.

Last edited:
No chance IMO. Refer to Edge's first postcard. Yahweh was first reported by U2log in January and they said, "One source made a case for it as ?one of the greatest songs U2 have ever recorded.? "

U2DMfan said:
I'll bet you guys a beer that Full Metal Jacket is now called Vertigo.

yup, I was just thinking that too. I thought FMJ turned into Native son, but I have a feeling its now Vertigo as well.

Full Tracklisting:

Vertigo
Sometimes You Can Make It On Your Own
Crumbs from your table
City of Burning lights
Man & Woman
Yahweh
All Because Of You
Love Peace or Else
Miracle Drug
Native Son
Tough

And that makes a total of eleven, Bono call me when I'm wrong :wave:

Interesting tracklisting.
Basically we should know 8 tracks on the album, you would think.
the 6 from this article plus ABOY and Love and Peace or Else
plus Miracle Drug (might be a b-side) could be a 9th track.

IMO Native Son=Vertigo also (the same song as FMJ)
"a scorching 45" "possibly lead off the album"

Tough is also one of those songs that was mentioned in artciles that are 2 years old, possible it might not make the album or be called something completely different.

Then you have the ATYCLB leftovers, Original of the Species, Bulldozer, The Sun, The Moon, The Stars

ya, I forgot about "Love and PEace or Else." So add that one. Didn;t someone on this forum meet Bono, who told him that "Miracle Drug" was on the album? So these two and ABOY make it 9.

Tough was just mentioned in Rollingstone not too long ago as the song Bono wrote for his father. Of course the same article mentioned Full Metal Jacket, so who knows?

I thought that Origin Of The Species was turned into Native Son and now maybe turned into Vertigo!?!?

If that's true, Vertigo is a leftover of ATYCLB :ohmy:

That's my point, it was regurgitation. Most of these articles just reprint inofrmation that they read elsewhere.

Yahweh was first reported on this site by Ignoreland over a year ago, and it has certainly given validity to his posts. Also, he reported Xanax and Wine, which very possibly could be the song 'Miracle Drug'- makes sense.

But furthermore he mentioned that Full Metal Jacket turned into Native Son. I think that this song was destined to be the single. And in typical Bono fashion, he always rewrites lyrics as the recording progress. Maybe when Damien Hirst mentioned Vertigo as an idea, he rewrote the lyrics, or at least changed some of them and the song formerly known as FMJ/Native Son is now Vertigo. I'll dig up those old quotes later on tonight.

Basically all I'm getting at is that the FMJ/Tough article is very old, even if it was reprinted recently. These writers don't do their homework as much as just repeat shit. So an article mentioning FMJ, in my opinion isn't very reliable, especially when both of those songs came from an article that was published in 2002.

It's possible that Tough is the same as Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own. Both songs were mentioned as being about Bono's father, I don't know if they would have two songs about his father, but it very well could.

Just ideas, it's good to have some new news, though isn't it?

Herco said:
I thought that Origin Of The Species was turned into Native Son and now maybe turned into Vertigo!?!?

I have never heard that, where did you hear that?

Original of the Species was described as a low key song, a mellow track, I think it was described as 'slinky' or something to that effect.

However, FMJ and Native Son, were described as rockers in all of the artciles. If it's the same song (and I think it most defintely is) then it makes sense.

I'm not fully sure anymore.
But I thought I've read that in 2003, when U2 received a call, about there Oscar nominations for THTBA. And something about a old song that turned into a new inspiration called: Native Son.

And my memory tells me there also was something to do with Origin(al) Of The Species and that song (Native Song).

Although I don't think Vertigo is a leftover of ATYCLB, otherwise I don't think they will present it as there first single. And it doesn't sound and feel likes ATYCLB

U2DMfan said:
Tough is also one of those songs that was mentioned in artciles that are 2 years old, possible it might not make the album or be called something completely different.

Then you have the ATYCLB leftovers, Original of the Species, Bulldozer, The Sun, The Moon, The Stars

I've said this before, and I'll probably say it a hundred more times. Tough is also a leftover from ATYCLB. Yes it is about Bono's father, but it was written long BEFORE he died. I remember in the summer of 2000, when we were all speculating on the tracklisting for ATYCLB, Tough was one of the songs -- along with the others you mentioned here, and Home (which became Walk On).

Can somebody back me up on this one?

I think that vertifo wasn't suposed to be the lead single, but since the media and all of us went crazy over the rumored title of the album being vetigo, they dicided to to confuse any of us and release the song first.

Also U2DMfan, wasn't Bulldozer changed into Electrical Storm?
I also thought I read that somewhere, but maybe not, it's about more than two years ago, my memory isin't that good :wink:

Well, if those are the true titles, than we now know the chorus to some new songs since U2 always have terrible names for their material.

-"Full Metal Jacket" was rumored to have turned into "Native Son," I know that. I never heard of it getting turned into "Original of the Species"
-I do remember "tough" talked about during ATYLCB, so it was made awhile back. While also proves the point that rolling stone article a fews weeks back was recycled.
-I do believe that "Xanax & Wine" turned into "Miracle Drug," even though I love the former title.

Then again, we're all just having fun dissecting the supposed tracklisting. We could be wrong.

here is the blurb on OOTS

Edge buries his navy blue skull-capped head into a bulging slip-case of CD-Rs and locates his favourite mix of "Original of the Species," a slinky pop song built around a primitive riff, with shades of Bowie's "Aladdin Sane." Bono is on his feet in an instant and monkey-stepping to the loping groove, singing away and proudly declaring, "This one's about Edge's daughter."

The recent article mentioning FMJ and Tough quoted Bono as calling FMJ the "mother of all rock tunes" which is actually something he said in Nov 2002. It's old news, end of story.

Herco said:
Also U2DMfan, wasn't Bulldozer changed into Electrical Storm?
I also thought I read that somewhere, but maybe not, it's about more than two years ago, my memory isin't that good :wink:

There were a bunch of song titles that were supposedly leftover from ATYCLB. How much structure those songs actually had is anyones guess.

I will verify that Tough was one of those, all I was saying is that it may or may not end up on the album, but that article that mentioned Tough and FMJ is old news. I think MTV was the one who printed that article. My guess is some young hack writer was given the task of finding new info on the album, got lazy and looked it up online and quoted an article that is almost 2 years old.

All I want to say is that I'm extremely relieved to hear some song titles. The titles definetly give you the feeling of an aggressive record. Titles such as Crumbs from your Table, City of Burning Lights, Vertigo and the thought of How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb as the working title gives me a similar feeling I had when I first bought the WAR album. Songs such as Surrender, Sunday Bloody Sunday and Drowning Man gave you the essence of what the album was about.

YES!!! I can't wait!!

The weird thing about the Rollingstone article was that it was released in late May when no one in the press was saying anything about the new album unlike now when everybody is recycling everybody elses shit. Also the article had a new photo from the Anton Corbijn photo shoot in Portugal. Hopefully both songs will be on the album.

Back
Top Bottom