MERGED->A bunch of threads about Vertigo being played twice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blue Room said:
zwervers2

1. you are lucky to see them
2. you are lucky they are touring
3. sell your ticket then

:laugh:

Sorry, couldnt resist. What I dont get though is why you waited in line for 8 hours for tickets for a band that disappoints you so much with their setlist choices?? I mean, this tour is no different that prior ones with the semi static setlists. Did someone have a gun to your head or something camp out so you could be disappointed? If anything there is a tad more variety than usual at this stage for a U2 tour. :shrug:

I think he was joking. People are making a billion of these threads...

I think personelly they should mixed up the set list a bit..maybe play songs like Exit, When love comes to town, and play Bad everynight. I think Bad is a special song, and is a great message for people who are addicted to drugs...

I posted this on another thread but anyway:

0 Everyone
1 All because of you
2 Out of control or I will follow
3 Elec co.
4 Gloria/ocean or An cat dubh/into the heart
5 Elevation
6 Beautiful day
7 Miracle drug
8 SYCMIOYO
9 LAPOE
10 Sunday bloody sunday
11 Bullet the blue sky
12 Running to stand still
-----human rights-----
13 Crumbs or Pride
14 Streets
15 One
--------------------
16 Zoostation
17 The Fly
18 Untill the end of the world
19 Mysterious ways or Who's gonna ride or Gone
---------------------
20 City of Binding lights
21 Vertigo
22 Original of the species or Yahweh or WOWY
23 Bad+40 snippet or 40 or 11 o'clock(on very special ocasions)

of the 23 songs there are 6 places they could change each night and keep the rest at their place. They don't have to learn anything new for this. The lightning can be used for the optional songs and it flows pretty well I think...Aboy is a nice rocky opener which is followed by a couple of songs from their first albums..
You see it is almost the same material but I would be very happy with this...The lighting for Vertigo, City of blinding lights can be used to full effect due to their late placement in the set..I personally believe this would rock big time

Look at the possibilities for a dreamset without changing too much..it IS very simple

I don't understand why some people dislike the fact that they're playing Vertigo twice...

1. As most of you know, back in the early days, they opened and closed with The Ocean. Sure, this was partly because they didn't have a lot of songs, but now they're doing it with Vertigo because they feel HTDAAB harkens back to Boy, even going to the extent of calling HTDAAB their first album! So opening and closing with Vertigo is a nod to their early setlists, which I think is :cool: .

2. Vertigo is their most rockin' song off HTDAAB so it makes for a rockin' opener and a rockin' closer, which is what they feel like doing on some nights. To which I say: :rockon: !

3. U2 has "acquired" a lot of new fans because of Vertigo, so to play it at the beginning AND at the end means that they are pleasing these new fans in a way that some rare, obscure song cannot.

4. The surprise element! MOST people wouldn't expect to hear Vertigo played a 2nd time, and again since it's such a rockin', upbeat song it surprises then energizes the crowd! :hyper:

5. If you're thinking about the money you spent and how it's not a good "deal" to hear the same song twice, well that's just sad, and very cheap of you might I add... :rolleyes:

6. Hello, Hello? It's CALLED the VERTIGO TOUR! :wink:

Last edited:
the reason for vertigo being played twice?

if you remember with the old shows, i think before boy, or during boy, u2 performed '11 o'clock tick tock' twice, both as a show opener and a show closer, because they didn't have enough songs.

i think with the whole 'boy flashbacks' they are doing, i think it make sense a little sense and the hardcore u2 fan would recognize this. except '11 o'clock tick tock' is now vertigo.

MarcusOneTree said:
I don't understand why some people dislike the fact that they're playing Vertigo twice...

1. As most of you know, back in the early days, they opened and closed with The Ocean. Sure, this was partly because they didn't have a lot of songs, but now they're doing it with Vertigo because they feel HTDAAB harkens back to Boy, even going to the extent of calling HTDAAB their first album! So opening and closing with Vertigo is a nod to their early setlists, which I think is :cool: .

2. Vertigo is their most rockin' song off HTDAAB so it makes for a rockin' opener and a rockin' closer, which is what they feel like doing on some nights. To which I say: :rockon: !

3. U2 has "acquired" a lot of new fans because of Vertigo, so to play it at the beginning AND at the end means that they are pleasing these new fans in a way that some rare, obscure song cannot.

4. The surprise element! MOST people wouldn't expect to hear Vertigo played a 2nd time, and again since it's such a rockin', upbeat song it surprises then energizes the crowd! :hyper:

5. If you're thinking about the money you spent and how it's not a good "deal" to hear the same song twice, well that's just sad, and very cheap of you might I add... :rolleyes:

75 euro a night is hardly cheap wouldn't you say :wink:

6. Hello, Hello? It's CALLED the VERTIGO TOUR! :wink:

Thank God they dindn't call it "the hands that built america tour" or "the all because of you tour"...I can not think of a single good reason for a band with 350+ songs to play a mediocre song(in comparrisson to their whole repetoire) twice a night.

Re: the reason for vertigo being played twice?

theu2fly said:
if you remember with the old shows, i think before boy, or during boy, u2 performed '11 o'clock tick tock' twice, both as a show opener and a show closer, because they didn't have enough songs.

i think with the whole 'boy flashbacks' they are doing, i think it make sense a little sense and the hardcore u2 fan would recognize this. except '11 o'clock tick tock' is now vertigo.

If they are so keen on doing boyflashbacks maybe it would be better if they actually would play more then elec co on this leg.
For the 125th time: there is no reason for them to play a mediocre song (in comparrisson to stuff of their beautifull collection) twice...let Vertigo be an song for later in the set. the visuals are simply stunning and play boysongs in the beginning. It IS rather suiting that they would play boyonsgs without all the xtra effects and screens etc. In the beginning they didn't have shit. Now THAT would be a boyflashback.:wink:

Actually, I think that the original poster is quite funny :)
He's going to 20 shows this tour, has obviously seen them on previous tours and yet is still surprised that they don't shake up the setlist more?
Wow, that's funny.

Happy for you that you're going to so many shows, obviously U2 means a lot to you. I genuinly hope that you'll get to enjoy some of it.

ricj said:
yeh i'm going on the 18th. You get the best deal with the support band tho! Interpol -wicked band, Athlete - bag of shite!

hope the setlist changes at least a bit by then.....

Am checking out Interpol now, they're surprisingly gothish.

Heh heh - the setlist stays! :wink:

check out the songs 'Evil' and 'NYC' -Fookin awesome!!

I am quite gutted about the setlist not changing -really wanted to hear Ultraviolet and Dirty Day -thought theyd fit in pretty well on this tour....

ah well -guess i'l just have to put up with the regular setlist.. :wink:

the soul waits said:
Actually, I think that the original poster is quite funny :)
He's going to 20 shows this tour, has obviously seen them on previous tours and yet is still surprised that they don't shake up the setlist more?
Wow, that's funny.

Happy for you that you're going to so many shows, obviously U2 means a lot to you. I genuinly hope that you'll get to enjoy some of it.

You hit the nail bang on the head there soul waits.

Has this person been to see U2 before on previous tours? You only have to check out the set lists to see that they do not change that much at all.

U2 are playing approximately the same 16 songs every night and changing around 6-8 other songs depending on the length of the set list. This means if you go and see 20 shows on one tour, you will see those 16 songs played 20 times. If you didn't know that was going to happen, then I really do not know what to say!!!

I've been going to see U2 since the Unforgettable Fire Tour. My first time was the Milton Keynes Bowl. I was fortunate to have cool parents who were willing to accompany their 11 year old son to that gig (I lived in MK). Thanks to them I saw countless live bands when I was growing up. I have seen U2 on every tour since, and not once have I come away disappointed by the set list.

Ask Axver, he was consistently having something negative to say about the set lists on this tour....and then he went to see them in Boston. Read his reviews, he had an amazing time and loved every minute of the shows he attended.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, don't get me wrong, but this set list debate has just gone on too long. Go to your show and enjoy it, if you've seen the set lists and don't like what you see and have tickets to a show, offer them to a fan who will really appreciate them.

Rant done. Over and Out!!

look, they had enough songs then, and they have it now.

1. the ocean
2. 11 O'clock
3. touch
4. stories for boys
5. another time another place
6. an cat dubh
7. into the heart
8. a day without me
9. twilight
10. I will follow
11. things to make and do
12. Boy/girl
13. another day
14. shadows and tall trees
15. the electric co
16. Out of control

but no, shadows and tall trees & another day were totally absent and boy/girl, things to make and do & a day without me rare.

Conversation overheared last night backstage

A conversation overheared last night backstage before they went into the limo's

The boys were sitting backstage after the concert and talking about the setlist ..

Bono:"well I'm glad we played a lot a HTDAAB"
Larry:"Did we do all the songs inc fast cars?"
Bono:"I think so"
Adam:"I don't know, I still believe we missed out on a couple of songs, have we played crumbs?"
Bono:"Hell yeah and that song about the cars to"
Larry:"Did we do Crumbs?"
Bono:"and we played Vertigo"
Edge:"You ordered us to play that annoying song twice again you idiot for the third time in a row. Nobody wants to listen to it anymore. Oh and we didn't play Crumbs, fast car, man and woman and one step closer eventhouhg we rehearsed our butts of. I'll see you tomorrow.

Looks like things are heating up between the guys

You missed the following excerpt from later on:

The Edge: You dumb f**k you missed that chord change again.
Adam: F**k you. I quit!

financeguy said:
You missed the following excerpt from later on:

The Edge: You dumb f**k you missed that chord change again.
Adam: F**k you. I quit!

My friend only heared this..:wink:

andyuk said:
vertigo the second time was class! i was there!

oh boy...I'm glad that people enjoy it I mean the people should be satisfied after leaving a concert. but I can not see any reason to play this twice...Vertigo IS a nice song but come on.two times is a bit much and if it was a spontanious act and it would mean that another song wouldn't be skipped of course then it's fun but this is just annoying. there is nothing anyone can say which might make me change my mind...Vertigo should be played at the end of the show(just once) and not twice..350 songs..come one boys..

Nisse said:
look, they had enough songs then, and they have it now.

1. the ocean
2. 11 O'clock
3. touch
4. stories for boys
5. another time another place
6. an cat dubh
7. into the heart
8. a day without me
9. twilight
10. I will follow
11. things to make and do
12. Boy/girl
13. another day
14. shadows and tall trees
15. the electric co
16. Out of control

but no, shadows and tall trees & another day were totally absent and boy/girl, things to make and do & a day without me rare.

I hope I'm wrong but you wouldn't be comparing U2 "1980" with the superstatus band they are now in 2005 would you? This is just ridicoulous sorry to say. 16 songs compared to what? 350 songs? ehh yeah..13 albums later 140 million albums..

HyperU2 said:
Someone that was there loved it and someone that wasn't, didn't. Only one of those opinions matter.

wow...That's a tiny bit narrowminded. Just because someone is blinded by pure adoration and enthousiasme and doens't give a damn what is played because of that during a concert doens't mean his or her opinion doensn't count...:scratch:

menelaos said:
And I must add that this is not a surprise anymore since the there is a pic. of a printed setlist of the German show that shows the only surprise was with or without you that day...

And THAT'S what annoying.NO ONE could have a problem with Vertigo played twice a night if it was just a couple of times and it wasn't premeditated..this is just ridiculous and for the 425643th time there is absolutely no reason to do it.it's no a classic, not the current single, not the best live song ever..And even if one of the three just named was true, even then would it be s stupid decision by the band. I can't imagnie that everybody within the band is 100% commfortable with this strange choice, that is what this thread is about.

the song is played in sunlight to start with with no screen on then it is played in the dark at the end with an amazing light shown on the screen. I was there as although it was played twice it felt very different each time and the crowd loved it!

andyuk said:
the song is played in sunlight to start with with no screen on then it is played in the dark at the end with an amazing light shown on the screen. I was there as although it was played twice it felt very different each time and the crowd loved it!

I can imagine that it feels different because of the light effects and the screens. That's the way the song should be presented, in all the futuristic glory they can pull of. That still is no reason to do it twice. Start out with aboy and (look at the resemblence) boy songs. city of blinding ligths and vertigo should be preserved for later in the set when the darkness has set in.

I don't have a doubt it was great haring it two times, but that is not the isue I believe, it just sevrves no purpose whatsoever

Back
Top Bottom