Manganui-o-te-Ao River, New Zealand Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Excellent! I'm wasting time when I probably should be stressing about uni.

I should be stressed about my PhD application but I'm doing it in my own good time.

Research essays for subjects I don't want to do can blow me. So glad that shit's almost done.

I figure I'll just go straight on to PhD, since I've got the marks to do it ... no point dragging things out with a Masters first, you know?

Plus, 80,000 word thesis, awww yeah.

I may be slightly mad, but I'm worried it won't be enough.

I'll be writing on the history and demise of the New Zealand provinces.

They existed in the 19th century and were an important part in establishing the political institutions that made New Zealand such a progressive society by the start of the 20th century. Since they were roughly analogous to Australia's present-day states, you'd think a lot would've been written on them, no? Especially because they went from the focus of political power to being wholly abolished in a mere six years. Imagine if our states didn't exist by the end of 2016!

But there's only ONE book. From 1932. That doesn't use numerous important sources.

To call this a gaping hole is an understatement, but it's perfect for me to make a mark.

I can do a lot from Australia due to numerous sources now being digitised, but I'll definitely have to go to New Zealand multiple times to look at the government records and things. The 1932 book completely fails to use the journals of proceedings from any of the ten provinces apart from Otago. I'm not making that mistake.

I'm hoping to use this as a springboard for more work on 19th century progressive politics and society in New Zealand. I think it will ultimately result in a lot of insights about exactly WHY progressive politics arises and succeeds when it does. I mean, this is where women first got the vote, where various forms of social welfare were pioneered, and so on. That sort of thing doesn't happen by accident, you know? But we have a very incomplete knowledge of how it happens, let alone how to apply that to today.

Plus I need to make a case for the practical usefulness of my history to any grants board. :wink:

Doing work on 19th century New Zealand is extremely unfashionable in pretty much any History department at present. But like I say, I think some really deep, rigorous analysis will actually tell us a lot about societies - especially settler colonial societies like Australia and New Zealand - that we previously didn't understand all that much, and point to how to deal with the future just as much as they point to the past.

Have a good night! I won't be around much longer myself, unless I get on another roll of late night writing. :wave:

Not too bad, yourself?

Oh, except for these jerkass girls that were sitting on the bus behind me a couple of hours ago. You're welcome to hear a rant, if you want. :D

Okay so...this girl is giving me the shits big time. Her boyfriend is my boys best friend so we can't get away from her.
Today she called to pick her up from just around the corner cause she was too sick to walk....it's maybe a three minute walk. Had to get petrol so swung by on our way back. She whimpered and carried on but refused to go to the docs. Then proceeded to whine about the noise and smoke here.. .it's always noisy and smoky here. When we bought back lunch she sat in the middle of the loungeroom with her head over a bucket trying to throw up. She's been gobbing in the bucket all afternoon. :sick: Earlier she made a huge deal about asking me to take her to the Docs. We all stopped what we were doing to take her...then she thinks it over and decides not to go after all. Now she's whining about having a cough and feeling all tired and achey...didn't stop her wanting my grog when I brought it out. :crack:
Anyway, she rubs me the wrong way constantly and today was almost enough to bring out my bad side. My sweet justice will come when housing arrangements change and she's out on the street. No more freeloading :drool:

Lo, it's Bonnaios and Cinner! :wave:

:caught up with History stuff:

I really should have made better use of punctuation or paragraphs or something there!

Was that your longest post ever? :wink:

I'm surprised you haven't snapped and turfed that woman out already! It seems she's an endless source of the shits.

Was that your longest post ever? :wink:

I'm surprised you haven't snapped and turfed that woman out already! It seems she's an endless source of the shits.

:lol:
nah, I've done longer than that. I think.

Yes she is a constant annoyance. The worst part is that somehow she and her boy end up sleeping at my place most nights and I'm here with the boy. I lurve cuddling up with him but it's not really ideal. Neither of us wanted a serious relationship but it's kinda been thrust upon us. It doesn't even feel like my place when I go back.....:angry: But.....Clint's prolly gonna be forced out of this place within the next few weeks so......he's gonna stay with me temporarily. My place is fine for two but no way is it big enough for four. They'll try to force their way in but no way.

Oh I loves me a good old fashioned rant. You do yours while I type mine. Deal?

Fuckin' deal hell yes please.

Okay, so, so fuck, I was like, I was on the fucking O-BAHN coming back from spending way too long at a mate's place doing absolutely nothing (well, we got some Domino's and watched some idol performances by that poxy fat drama guy they've got now, so it wasn't a complete waste) and so I'm all on a motherfucking bus that goes straight through the CBD to the southern suburbs near where I live, so I was just expecting a pretty relaxing warm evening cruise in which I could ponder about the day's earlier activities (i.e. going to youtube with the sole purpose of rewatching Australian Idol performances; having a brisk stroll at Glenelg), and that was really great and all, if a bit boring. Then we stop on King William St. and these two girls rocked up on the bus amongst another large group... one I originally thought was someone who did the same art course as me, and the last thing anyone wants to do is talk to someone who took the same course as them, so I wasn't looking forward to that. However, things were considerably worse than that.

These girls were loud, obnoxious and swore all over the fucking place, in public, in a bus nearly full of people. I was sitting in the second to last row, and they decided to sit right fucking behind me, and they were complaining on how the bus smelt, and they fucking smelt like alcohol and sweat, and it was DISGUSTING. THESE FUCKING GIRLS. It was impossible not to eavesdrop because they were louder than Jeremy Clarkson crashing an Aston Martin into a caravan. They were fucking drunk! And when the bus sided up next to a police van at the stoplights in Vic square/Tarndanyangga, they were all like
"oooooh shit haha! I'm breaking like two laws right now!"
"I'm banned from Noarlunga because of theft! Even though I'm meant to do TAFE in Noarlunga, those bitches!"
"That's super gay! Those fuckers are super gay!"
"I know, so gay. They got like secret agents looking for me. Super gay."

All this while they both periodically coughed on my neck, without covering their hands. Shit doesn't seem like it can get any worse... UNTIL ANOTHER ONE JOINS THEM AND SITS NEXT TO ME OH MY GOD

"Hey guys, oh hey [this one grrl's name], do you think you could get some trips for me from [this one dealer's name] sometime?" It was around this time I learned that the girl with the dealer friend who had been drinking goon and pre-mixed pina coladas since 3pm in the Adelaide CBD was the ripe old age of 14, and I have no doubt she was puffing on some Winnie Blues while doing so. She was just one of those 14 year olds that could probably pass for 18. Then she started to recount some of her hilarious acid experiences, really loudly and swearing a lot, and how it's so cool to get crunk and smoke durries, and that she's soooo sick of this one guy she knows doing morphine all the time and it hella bothers her, but fuck his problems and shit, and all the while reminding us all that she's! four! teen! and wow I'm 14 and I'm doing all this crazy shit, I'm so fucking cool! My parents don't even check on me until like 2am so I break my curfew ev-e-ry night! and after I got off at my bus stop I started ranting about them to my brother because THESE GIRLS, THESE GODDAMN FUCKING GIRLS.

FUCK YOUR FUCKING PRE-MIXED PINA COLADAS, YOU LOUD, SLAGGY BITCHES.

Back
Top Bottom