Lypton Village pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Achtung_Meggie said:
[B
prunes10.jpg
[/B]

This pic freaked me out... :huh:

Eamon Dunphy's book mentions that Larry, at this point in time, had his own friends and tended to hang out with them, rather than with the rest of these guys. Who knows how much salt to take that with, but given that he was 2-3 years younger than most of them, it might make some sense--that can be a pretty big difference at that age.

You can certainly see from these pictures that Adam and Edge did hang around with them, though, so I'm not sure it would really have been a question of "Bono's friends." Dunphy's book (again, for what it's worth) also suggests that Adam and the Evans brothers were sort of lost souls, socially speaking, who just kind of fell very comfortably into all this.

blueeyedgirl said:
Yes, very. It is performance art. :| I'm sorry, I find that a curious question.
Ditto...

That particular act was partly based on Lord of the Flies actually, and sometimes included a real pig's head onstage, just like in the book...as you say, it was performance art. Certainly not random drug-fueled emoting or something...

:shrug: And it ought to go without saying that you can't tell if someone has drug problems just by looking at photos. As far as that goes, Adam eventually developed worse substance abuse issues than anyone else in this circle apparently ever had...

Last edited:
Because I'm bored at the moment, here's a little of what Bono had to say about Lypton Village, and how the band related to that world.

Aside from music, what were the things the four of you enjoyed doing together?
Nothing at first, but then, we realised we shared the same surreal sense of humour.
I never imagined you'd say that. You mean you'd make practical jokes together?
Yeah, we'd do some mad shit together.
Like what?
I think Edge was with me once when we got into Guggi's car. He was seventeen years old and had a car. His father just collected these jalopies, broken down cars and would fix them up. I remember we snuck out of the school into his car and drove to a girls' school with a painting we had done, and went into the school, and knocked on class doors to sell them the painting. So before they got a chance to call the police, we had hit several classes at the girls' school: "Excuse me. We were round here, we have a painting and we're advised that we might find a buyer here in Class C English. [changes tone] Hi girls!" [laughs] Just teenage stuff, but surreal. Or we'd do mad theatrical stuff.
What do you mean, 'mad'?
Well, I remember, in one of our early gigs, we put on Christmas concerts in the middle of summer. They were called "The Jingle Balls." And so we got on at this nightclub and we did it up with a Christmas tree. We just pretended it was winter in the middle of summer. Childish things... In Lypton Village, we gave eachother names and we spoke this other language. Edge fit into that very well in the end, and so did Adam, because they were all very surreal. Larry was just a little more suspicious, but he would be, anyway.

Okay, at least you can't say that they were shy! xD
I think Gavn looks like he could have been Bono' brother :ohmy: :wink:

Thanks Megs, for all the great LV pics! You must have quite the collection.

And without trying to come off sounding like someone's Mom here, it bears repeating that just because some form of art isn't your cup of tea doesn't make it bad or wrong.

Remember, some folks back in the '50s thought Elvis was the devil.

:wink:

PopDaisy said:
Thanks Megs, for all the great LV pics! You must have quite the collection.

Thank you! I have far fewer Prunes pics than I'd like. I had a big amazing Guggi pic before my pc crashed and now I can't find it anywhere. meh

Back
Top Bottom