Linear (DISCUSSION ONLY)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Picking this fucker up in about an hour and watching it over lunch on a massive screen in the boardroom at work. Loudly. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :up:

Where you getting yours from.

I've looked EVERYWHERE in Sydney city and non-one will have it until next week. According to one store, Aussies get the UK import version and it hasn't arrived yet.

Do you have a good version of Winter to send me please ? The YouTube version sucks!
my email : laugend2 at gmail.com :hug:

The version that I have was ripped directly from the video and isn't the greatest quality, I'm not sure if there is a better quality one out there or not...

Sorry if i came across as snippy, i after rereading what i wrote, I sounded like a bit of a bastard :tsk: I've just always been a visual person, so I really appreciate Anton's style in stills and in film. He was the reason I became a photographer myself, so i mightve gotten a little defensive :hug:

Don't worry, I get it, I'm a very visual person myself...

Personally, I like a lot of Anton's music videos(although still sometimes too literal), I think he does pretty well in short format but I think his longer format videos suffer a little...

Honestly, I'm trying to wait until D-Day for this...my rationale is that, even though I downloaded the leak, this (and my preordered vinyl copy-:drool::drool::drool:) will make the release day a bit special.
It sounds pretty cool in an "art film" sort of way, though. Shame we didn't get Tripoli or EBW...oh, well, there are still two mysterious iTunes bonus tracks to look forward to! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Where you getting yours from.

I've looked EVERYWHERE in Sydney city and non-one will have it until next week. According to one store, Aussies get the UK import version and it hasn't arrived yet.

Really? There were a couple of posters in here last night from Sydney who said they picked theirs up from JB Hi Fi. It’s how we have Winter, came via one of those. I just assumed I’d be able to wander down to my local JB here (Chatswood) and grab it. I’m going in about 20 minutes, so I’ll let you know how I go in this thread.

Honestly, I'm trying to wait until D-Day for this...my rationale is that, even though I downloaded the leak, this (and my preordered vinyl copy-:drool::drool::drool:) will make the release day a bit special.
It sounds pretty cool in an "art film" sort of way, though. Shame we didn't get Tripoli or EBW...oh, well, there are still two mysterious iTunes bonus tracks to look forward to! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

I have a question on the bonus tracks. I just checked the Ireland iTunes store and the "bonus tracks" are the Linear video and a video titled Fez. Are we getting any additional bonus tracks or is that it? :reject:

it's boring - but it is still better than i thought it would be.
the 60 page book is the only thing i got that even remotely makes this 'deluxe' box set i was gullible enough to fork out $120 AUD for.

don't get me wrong - the album is great; but I could've got that for $22.

Sorry for taking the hit for us man. You just saved me some money. Thanks! :up:

Hrm. I was hoping there would be a few new songs. Oh well. Since I pre-ordered the deluxe version off Amazon today I will be getting it none-the-less.

The box set is kinda like buying a show bag are the fairground. Looks good but when you really think about it, the cost isn't justified.

In JB Hifi (where I got mine) the digipack is going for $22 and the deluxe box set is $120 (pre-orders were $90).

So what do you get for an incremental $98?

- hardcover book: $25 if available separately at Borders
- DVD version of the film rather than download: maybe $10 extra
- foldout poster: $3
- cardboard box to put it in: $60!!

Well, my pre-order with Amazon was 70 dollars so I don't totally feel like I spent a huge chunk of cash on nothing.

I know some guys asked earlier about some details on the DVD. Here they are:

- NTSC
- Aspect 16:9 / Sound: PCM Stereo 57 Minutes DVD: 1 x DVD 5 (is this the zone??)

As for it not being available. I got mine YESTERDAY at Jb-Hi Fi. (This is the deluxe box set).

The Linear DVD does have some German(?) on it.

The book is good. Probably best thing about it. Lots of photos of songs on whiteboards. Never heard of these 'potential' track names:

- Not as Yet
- House of Abraham
- thank you for the Day
- Songs of Ascent
- I was lost (Coldplay cover??? :sexywink:)

DVD 5 means it is a single layer, rather than dual layer DVD :)

That's only a problem if the movie is 16:9 and longer than around 1 1/2 hours. They didn't bother with the sound because you need to make a seperate mix and think about the seperation on the surround speakers.

That's only a problem if the movie is 16:9 and longer than around 1 1/2 hours. They didn't bother with the sound because you need to make a seperate mix and think about the seperation on the surround speakers.

Just on the sound. I've listened to only mp3s and the linear version thus far. But the sound on the DVD is far, far superior to the mp3s.

Breathe sounds more spacious; less claustrophobic. Same with MOS. I'd assume the normal CD will be the same.

For those you have brought / downloaded only mp3 quality, I strongly recommend getting the CD. It has changed my opinion of the album - it's now in my top 3 U2 albums; just not sure what number.

The book is good. Probably best thing about it. Lots of photos of songs on whiteboards. Never heard of these 'potential' track names:

- Not as Yet
- House of Abraham
- thank you for the Day
- Songs of Ascent
- I was lost (Coldplay cover??? :sexywink:)

HEY! This is really interesting information. THERE's something that deserves a thread!
Thanks for sharing!

I'm watching Linear right now.

And yeah, the CD sound is way, way, way better than the mp3's going around.

For those in Sydney who can't find this anywhere, I'm amazed. I went into JB Hi Fi at Chatswood, and there's a big display right at the front of the store. They have 4 versions. I foolishly bought the mega expensive one. Larry Mullen owes me a drink.

Nice to finally have the real deal though.

I'm watching Linear right now.

And yeah, the CD sound is way, way, way better than the mp3's going around.

For those in Sydney who can't find this anywhere, I'm amazed. I went into JB Hi Fi at Chatswood, and there's a big display right at the front of the store. They have 4 versions. I foolishly bought the mega expensive one. Larry Mullen owes me a drink.

Nice to finally have the real deal though.

Hey Ernie, you've got the Deluxe version? Just a couple of quick questions/statements:

1. The = sign on your slip cover, Does it look right? It looks like the plastic has been folded incorrectly. E.g. The white equal signs are on the inside, and the grey / reflective rainbow colour appears over the sea. Very unprofessional.

2. I can still see lines on the horizon on ALL shots bar one - the big poster that you get.

Just on the sound. I've listened to only mp3s and the linear version thus far. But the sound on the DVD is far, far superior to the mp3s.

Breathe sounds more spacious; less claustrophobic. Same with MOS. I'd assume the normal CD will be the same.

For those you have brought / downloaded only mp3 quality, I strongly recommend getting the CD. It has changed my opinion of the album - it's now in my top 3 U2 albums; just not sure what number.

Actually the CD sounds quite similar to the mp3's actually, unlike the film which sounds better, (especially UC, the ohh's really leap out.)

I played both on the same set and thought that the film (downloaded copy) sounded better at the same volume levels than the album.

Sorry, but this odes not seem like it is worth $60+ more than the CD proper--even with the book.

It doesn't, I pity the poor suckers who ordered the box set.
The digipack with magazine is basically the same thing, at a 3rd of the price.
All that cardboard packaging costs megabucks.

Well I've listened to Linear both as the 800 mb download, which I downloaded myself and the DVD from the box set.

The audio quality is far superior on the DVD then on the download. That said, I have burnt the DVD and CD and will never use the Box Set again.

In 06 I ordered the RH In Rainbow's double CD / LP Deluxe Box set. Cost me approx 100 AUD to get order.

I sold in on ebay last November for 285 AUD.

Nice little profit. Doubt I'll make much on NLOTH though. IR is a brilliant album.

Well I've listened to Linear both as the 800 mb download, which I downloaded myself and the DVD from the box set.

The audio quality is far superior on the DVD then on the download. That said, I have burnt the DVD and CD and will never use the Box Set again.

In 06 I ordered the RH In Rainbow's double CD / LP Deluxe Box set. Cost me approx 100 AUD to get order.

I sold in on ebay last November for 285 AUD.

Nice little profit. Doubt I'll make much on NLOTH though. IR is a brilliant album.

Well DVD will be much higher bitrate, so it should sound better. Could you make an audio rip of Winter from the DVD?

The box set is kinda like buying a show bag are the fairground. Looks good but when you really think about it, the cost isn't justified.

In JB Hifi (where I got mine) the digipack is going for $22 and the deluxe box set is $120 (pre-orders were $90).

So what do you get for an incremental $98?

- hardcover book: $25 if available separately at Borders
- DVD version of the film rather than download: maybe $10 extra
- foldout poster: $3
- cardboard box to put it in: $60!!

I'm stunned anybody in Australia still buys these deluxe editions locally, especially after the experience of the BOctoWar, UABRS, and JT remasters. I scored BOctoWar off Amazon US for about half the price you could get them at JB (and with a bonus case to keep them in and a poster). So I hunted around for the deluxe edition, and scored a good price off Amazon UK - it's gone up since I ordered, but I get the cheap price, and it's roughly AUS$60. Half the price of picking it up JB. Sure, I have to wait a bit for it to get to me, but I can be patient for the sake of $60!

So much for Aussie retail outlets. I haven't bought a thing at an Aussie store since ... 2004, I think. Been ordering from overseas ever since. The postage costs are easily offset by the price savings.

I'm stunned anybody in Australia still buys these deluxe editions locally, especially after the experience of the BOctoWar, UABRS, and JT remasters. I scored BOctoWar off Amazon US for about half the price you could get them at JB (and with a bonus case to keep them in and a poster). So I hunted around for the deluxe edition, and scored a good price off Amazon UK - it's gone up since I ordered, but I get the cheap price, and it's roughly AUS$60. Half the price of picking it up JB. Sure, I have to wait a bit for it to get to me, but I can be patient for the sake of $60!

So much for Aussie retail outlets. I haven't bought a thing at an Aussie store since ... 2004, I think. Been ordering from overseas ever since. The postage costs are easily offset by the price savings.

And it's because people like you that Mr Rudd has had to hand out money to kick start our economy :sexywink:

I'm with you; normally I buy from OS. This time however I couldn't wait for album - had to get it now.

Example I bought 4gig ram for my Mac from a US seller. Lifetime warranty, express courier delivery. All up cost me $71 US. Ordered Monday, FedEx had it in my hands by the Thursday.

I couldn't find anyone (reputable) in Aust who could supply me with same name ram for even double the price (after conversion).

We do get ripped off. That said JB Hi-Fi now selling deluxe Boy, Oct and War for $39.

Does the band appear in the movie and if yes, how often?

Only once, they perform Magnificent, seen on a TV. I don't like that part though, the editing gives me a headache. It makes it look like the TV has that double vision effect and the colours are oversaturated.

And the GOYB segment will give you nightmares, they should have left that bit out. :huh:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom