Larry and Bono: no album in 2007, Popmart and no Milan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aygo said:

6 albuns since 1991?
1 - AB, 2 - Zooropa, 3- Pop, 4 - ATYCLB, 5 - HTDAAB.
Passengers is a side project, and I think U2 doesn't consider it a proper U2 album.

Yes, but they still had to spend time recording it. It may not be a U2 release, but it's a release involving Bono/Edge/Adam/Larry.

^ Yes, that's right, but it's not published under the U2 name and the elements (Eno inc.) used pseudonyms. Plus, almost anyone knows this project and it didn't receive much attention because it passed unperceived.

MrBrau1 said:

Yes, but they still had to spend time recording it. It may not be a U2 release, but it's a release involving Bono/Edge/Adam/Larry.

"file under U2"

Also, tracks from it made the Best-Of. The fact is, U2 had a major release that year, a full length album.

man I thought the new album was coming out like next week or something

bono totally told me that

i don't even care when it's gonna come out. I'm sure whenever it does I'll download it when it leaks and then I'll buy it and I'll love it and I'll go see U2 and it'll be awesome. When is insignificant. Unless I die or something.

Funny that people are believing what somebody that could very well be lying is coming up with in his daily reports talking to the band....sounds far fetched to me...dont see any album coming out this year but I certainly could see one coming out next year.

As for the reason they cancelled the Milan DVD maybe they didnt like Hamish Hamiltons take on it after reading this forum and all the bashing that happens of Hamish Hamilton they probably wont have him doing a DVD again :wink:

MrBrau1 said:

EXACTLY. :yes: Besides the also important fact that Niceman made that the Best Of album as music from Passengers, and that they've played this music ON A U2 TOUR, it's key to point out that when it comes to recording, Passengers counts as an album for the boys. The whole argument that the band "needs" 4 years between albums essentially insinuates that they need 4 years for the creative process. True, Passengers had some other creative minds involved. However, U2 were involved heavily in the creative process, thus showing that they can design and record multiple albums only 2 years apart from each other. :yes: Whether they called it 'U2' or not, all four bandmembers were there writing music & recording it in the studio.

biff said:

Don't forget Spiderman: The Musical. I actually think that's going to happen, although I'm not too sure how I feel about that.:huh:

I doubt this'll happen. The press release was from 2 years ago and only said that the people behind it "wanted" Bono & U2. Plus, I believe the Universal Studios Theme Park tried a small version of this at the parks & it failed miserably.

Yahweh said:
As for the reason they cancelled the Milan DVD maybe they didnt like Hamish Hamiltons take on it after reading this forum and all the bashing that happens of Hamish Hamilton they probably wont have him doing a DVD again :wink:

:lmao: We can only hope!

Yahweh said:
Bring back Mallet!!

Utoo said:

I doubt this'll happen. The press release was from 2 years ago and only said that the people behind it "wanted" Bono & U2. Plus, I believe the Universal Studios Theme Park tried a small version of this at the parks & it failed miserably.

Here's a link to a site the provides an up-to-date bio of Julie Taymor, the person slated to create/direct the Spiderman musical.
(She was the creative brains behind the stage version of The Lion King.)

http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/tay0bio-1

Here's the last paragraph:

"Julie Taymor shows no signs of slowing down her work pace in any medium. She has now completed her third feature film, Across the Universe, a musical story of the 1960s with music by the Beatles, starring U2 lead singer Bono and American actress Evan Rachel Wood. Taymor is also preparing a film version of Transposed Heads and a stage musical of Spiderman, with songs by Bono and U2 guitarist The Edge."

Here's a quote from Taymor, in an interview dated Spetember 12, 2006:

"Then -- if it happens, it happens -- but I've been slated to direct a Broadway musical Spiderman with Bono and the Edge writing the music. It just hasn't quite been signed off on; it's been in development for a while. But I would like to do that. I look forward to that. I've got a weird take on it."

So it looks like it's still very much a possibility. :shrug:

schnumi said:
Bring back Mallet!!

:yes: :yes: :rockon:

Let's start the petition

But one thing , just coz I 'm not a big fan of Hamilton , doesn't mean I don't want Milan , HELL I DO ! Just point out this again

biff said:

Here's a link to a site the provides an up-to-date bio of Julie Taymor, the person slated to create/direct the Spiderman musical.
(She was the creative brains behind the stage version of The Lion King.)

http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/tay0bio-1

Here's the last paragraph:

"Julie Taymor shows no signs of slowing down her work pace in any medium. She has now completed her third feature film, Across the Universe, a musical story of the 1960s with music by the Beatles, starring U2 lead singer Bono and American actress Evan Rachel Wood. Taymor is also preparing a film version of Transposed Heads and a stage musical of Spiderman, with songs by Bono and U2 guitarist The Edge."

Here's a quote from Taymor, in an interview dated Spetember 12, 2006:

"Then -- if it happens, it happens -- but I've been slated to direct a Broadway musical Spiderman with Bono and the Edge writing the music. It just hasn't quite been signed off on; it's been in development for a while. But I would like to do that. I look forward to that. I've got a weird take on it."

So it looks like it's still very much a possibility. :shrug:

Hmm...interesting! Curious to see how it pans out!

Last edited:
I think you summed it pretty much, Utoo. Maybe add :bono: "possibly 2006" from 2005 and "2007" when he was in Sarajevo for the movie festival in August.

I wonder what "other stuff" according to :edge: the band is working and if :edge: "departure" quote means the usual album trilogy will break down.

Utoo said:

:ohmy:

So, here's a tally:

Official reports

:edge: - No timetable
- Early days
- But don't want to spend too much time on it

:u2.com's abbey road week one: - Some songs seem really early, others seem further along

Fan reports

:adam: - A couple of months

:bono: - Sooner than you think

:bono: :larry: - Not in 2007

Take from that what you will. Add in any I've missed.

Ok, but let's add in:

The Beach clips showed 4 fairly well developed songs.

Mercy

Bono in 2004 saying that he expected a 2006 album because they were "already on it."

The long list of song titles over the last 6 years that haven't surfaced yet.

And let's not all forget that the Million Dollar Hotel took up time, as well. So it's kind of like U2 were involved in 7 albums, not 5 or 6. In some ways, Million Dollar Hotel feels even more like a U2 project than does Passengers. It involved Lanois, not just Eno as well - and both were producing ATYCLB at around the same time.

When will all of us learn that we may as well not even speculate? I bet you that almost every rumor we hear no matter who it's from is false in one way or another.

I'm just gonna assume we'll get an album in 2008, that way I won't be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom