Kite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kite is their best song made in the 2000's.
It's perfect for me, incredible music but has so much emotion.
Took on even more with the live performances.

Yes. :shrug: Why is it hard to imagine? Don't you read poetry?

:lol:

yes, I read poetry. I'm just saying that when I read those lines, it doesn't have nearly the effect on me as it does when I'm listening to Running to Stand Still and that part comes up. I can't possibly see how reading the liner notes would have the same effect...it's such a drastic difference in my mind....:shrug:

:lol:

yes, I read poetry. I'm just saying that when I read those lines, it doesn't have nearly the effect on me as it does when I'm listening to Running to Stand Still and that part comes up. I can't possibly see how reading the liner notes would have the same effect...it's such a drastic difference in my mind....:shrug:

Is there any reason why it couldn't produce the same effect? I think it's a beautiful piece of poetry that Bono should feel very proud of. I often quote it on profile pages and such. It's probably my favourite U2 lyric of all time. I agree with you that the vocal delivery is perfect, but the thematic strength of those words would be the same no matter what the delivery. That's the marker of a truly great set of lyrics. It's the reason, for instance, why someone can read Leonard Cohen's words and still be moved to tears without even hearing that great voice of his.

Everyone appreciates music differently. It's all about personal preference and interpretation. Some people find it hard to separate the lyrics from the melodies - I guess you would fall into that category. Other people (like me) place greater emphasis on lyrics than others do and are able to appreciate them with or without the accompanying music. And then there are people who don't give a toss about lyrics at all, and listen to songs for the music and nothing else. Some people are even a mixture of all three, depending on what band/artist they're listening to. I know I certainly fall into that category sometimes. Neither preference is more right than the other, so we should perhaps be a little bit more open to that fact and not ignorantly pass off these personal differences with statements like "that's hard to imagine, headscratch."

Everyone appreciates music differently. It's all about personal preference and interpretation. Some people find it hard to separate the lyrics from the melodies - I guess you would fall into that category. Other people (like me) place greater emphasis on lyrics than others do and are able to appreciate them with or without the accompanying music. And then there are people who don't give a toss about lyrics at all, and listen to songs for the music and nothing else. Some people are even a mixture of all three, depending on what band/artist they're listening to. I know I certainly fall into that category sometimes. Neither preference is more right than the other, so we should perhaps be a little bit more open to that fact and not ignorantly pass off these personal differences with statements like "that's hard to imagine, headscratch."

I agree with you. And, you're overreacting to my comment. It is difficult for me to imagine...wouldn't that make sense? Since it is about "personal preference and interpretation," reading liner notes and listening to Bono sing the actual lyrics with instrumentation behind them are two totally different things for me. Not just for these lyrics, but usually any lyrics. And, like you say, Bono sings it perfectly, it makes it all the more effective. :shrug:

but the thematic strength of those words would be the same no matter what the delivery. That's the marker of a truly great set of lyrics.

So, if "Disturbed" covered "Running To Stand Still", that section would have the same effect on you as U2's recording? Because the words themselves are so powerful?

Not buying it.

I'd argue delivery is more important than lyrics. The lyric may give you something to believe in, but the delivery makes you believe.

I agree with you. And, you're overreacting to my comment. It is difficult for me to imagine...wouldn't that make sense? Since it is about "personal preference and interpretation," reading liner notes and listening to Bono sing the actual lyrics with instrumentation behind them are two totally different things for me. Not just for these lyrics, but usually any lyrics. And, like you say, Bono sings it perfectly, it makes it all the more effective. :shrug:

Sorry, I'm just cranky tonight. :wink: I thought your "that's hard to imagine" comment was written in a sarcastic way (especially since the :scratch: smiley generally has the same connotation that :happy: does, around here.) Apologies.

Anyway, uh...back to Kite. 65980 is going to accuse me of hijacking the thread any moment now. :uhoh:

So, if "Disturbed" covered "Running To Stand Still", that section would have the same effect on you as U2's recording? Because the words themselves are so powerful?

Not buying it.

I'd argue delivery is more important than lyrics. The lyric may give you something to believe in, but the delivery makes you believe.

I don't care if you don't buy it - it's personal preference. I think Bob Dylan has a fucking awful voice and can't stand some of his vocal quirks, but I love what he writes. That's why I focus on what he's saying when I listen to his albums, rather than the way he sounds. I think Roger Waters has a fucking awful voice (1992-present), but I think his lyrics are extremely thought-provoking and powerful. That's one of the reasons why Amused To Death is probably my favourite album of all time.

Edit: Just to add, of course I'd prefer to listen to the original version over subpar cover version. I don't like Disturbed's musical style one bit. The actual message of the song remains the same, though, no matter how it's performed or who performs it. And it's a strong message that, I feel, works equally well on paper and within the context of U2's performance. Is that really such a foreign concept?

Kite is their best song made in the 2000's.
It's perfect for me, incredible music but has so much emotion.
Took on even more with the live performances.

I agree with everything said here...

On almost every album they release a song that I am not to crazy about when I first hear on the album but fall in love with when I see it live:

AB - UTEOTW
Zooropa - Dirty Day
Pop - Gone
ATYCLB - Kite
HTDAAB – OOTS

great song :up:

I think when you read (not: listen to) U2 lyrics then they often come across as either cheesy, adolescent or awkward (there are of course many singular exceptions)
been the same through their entire career
Joshua Tree might actually be most guilty of this
actually, many of their most brilliant lyrics have some of the most painful lines when you just read them out ("please, please, get off of your knees")
never understood why their post 2000 work gets picked out to complain about this

anyway
Kite is such a deeply emotional song that I've actually started to really appreciate the "Last of the rockstars ..." verse as a way to prevent it from becoming an overly emotional affair

Back
Top Bottom