Kite vs. Sometimes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2One

War Child
What do you think is more powerful, when Bono sings "I'm a maaaaaannnnnnnnnn" from Kite, or when he sings "when I sinnnnnnnnngggggggggg" from SYCMIOYO?

I thought Kite was more powerful, until I learned the story behind SYCMIOYO.

gah, i can't decide. 'sometimes' is still too new, i'm still in the butterflies-falling in love phase, so it's hard to talk about it objectively just yet.

that line in 'kite' is the best line on ATYCLB, and i suspect the 'sometimes' line is the best on the bomb.

never was all that impressed with Kite. I'm a big fan of Sometimes though. Kite just felt a little too slick. But i did notice the similarities.

I love both greatly, but to choose between the 2 lines mentioned above: I have to go with the Sometimes "siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing" part..sends an absolute tingle down my spine. :wink:

While Kite is a fine song, SYCMIOYO is an instant classic, the best song since Achtung Baby IMO....so yeah the bit in Sometimes is more powerful and affecting to me ;)

Sleep Over Jack said:
While Kite is a fine song, SYCMIOYO is an instant classic, the best song since Achtung Baby IMO....so yeah the bit in Sometimes is more powerful and affecting to me ;)
Me too!

Sometimes gives me tingles when I listen to it.

I never got Kite.

Didn't like it when it came out, and I don't like it particularly now.

Last edited:
Kite is a great tune, but it doesn't have that extra "something" to enable it to rival the great U2 songs..Sometimes has that ingredient in spades :D

Sometimes is ten times better than Kite. Sometimes is bound to be a classic. Kite is a good song, but never gets into the stratosphere of U2.

Kite just doesn't have the U2 DNA.

Id say Kite is probably the best song on ATYCLB but I think that Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own is one of the best songs U2 has written in 15 years....so I will go with Sometimes.

I think the "siiiing" line is better than "i'm a maaaan". Having said that, I think Kite is a way, way WAY better song. Better lyrics, better music, far more original. No comparison for me at all.

I think Sometimes builds effectively, whereas Kite throws all the intruments in from the get-go, which makes it less interesting IMO.

Alright now, Kite is a powerful, emotional piece. And the "I'm a maaaaaan, not a child" lyric was strong. But for sheer vocal power the "siiiiinggg" part of Sometimes, hell the whole vocal is years ahead of Kite. I love Kite (hell my 8-year old makes me play this song all the time), but Sometimes just rings a little more with me....maybe it's due to the fact I just lost my grandfather, so I have placed a stronger meaning to it?

I dont know, love both of the lines and songs. I'll go with Kite, I think it's just a powerful line and one of the greatest songs I've ever heard

the 2 best songs on the past 2 albums.....

very tough to decide....kite tonight, SYCMIOYO tommorrow morning.....

Who's to say where the wind will take you
Who's to say what it is will break you
I don't know where the wind will blow
All I know is
Sometimes you can't make it on your own

Well, I for one think the studio version of Kite was weak(except for the "I'm a maaannn" part)Live was amazing. Album version of Sometimes is beautiful. So I'm going for the latter in this one.
Can't wait to compare the live versions on the next tour.

All of the songs from ATYCLB were better live than they were in the studio. I really did hate the way they were produced on the record. They all sounded weak and thin. Maybe someone with some audio knowledge can let me know why.

-Miggy D

there´s no comparison between Kite and SYCMIOYO... sometimes is 100000000000000 better than kite, the unique song that could be compared with sometimes is One... and One is much better than all of them

SYCMIOYO is a classic

Back
Top Bottom