King of Leon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn Bonneau

New Yorker
Just saw them on Last Call. They aren't bad but not great. Awesome bass lines. Bad singing. Sloppy guitars and good drums.

SMB

Couldnt we have said the same thing about U2 when they were the age of Kings Of Leon....I believe so....infact the vocalist is even younger then Bono when he first started. I am still looking forward to seeing them live.

Originally posted by H
KOL are miles better than U2 were at that stage in their careers.

Bullshit. U2 could play their instruments. KOL are absolute crap and their lyrics are worse than U2's were at the time. And Bono sounded a whole lot better on Boy than the KOL singer sounds, though admittedly, Bono was pretty poor around 1978 on the Street Mission clip.

Last edited:
Kings of LEon are a fantastic band i have seen them live many times! i don't think u can compare them to U2 though. I think kings of leon are a top act who can play and have great tunes! but not the something special that U2 have

Yahweh said:
infact the vocalist is even younger then Bono when he first started.

Caleb, the singer of KOL, is actually 23. Bono as 23 when "War" came out. Still very young either way.

Axver said:

Bullshit. U2 could play their instruments. KOL are absolute crap and their lyrics are worse than U2's were at the time. And Bono sounded a whole lot better on Boy than the KOL singer sounds, though admittedly, Bono was pretty poor around 1978 on the Street Mission clip.
The songs on their first 2 records are far far better thatn the songs on Boy or October.

Axver said:

Opinions are like assholes.....

Kings of Leon are head and shoulders above any of those "newer" rock bands out there.

Kings of Leon are a good band, I'm getting into their latest record. Still, Europe gets Snow Patrol, Killers, Franz Ferdinand...I'd rather have those bands, but I'm not complaining.

U2Girl1978 said:
Didn't U2 have alot of opening acts in the US on their Elevation Tour? Why is it we only have 1??

Because the 1st leg is hardly a full tour. It's only a "few" shows in comparison to the 1st leg of Elevation. Also, acts like Franz are in the studio right now, and the Killers have their own headlining tour to worry about throughout March, April and May.

There will be different openers on the 2nd US leg, Oasis being one of them and Franz Ferdinand will likely be doing a few dates as well.

Last edited:
H said:

The songs on their first 2 records are far far better thatn the songs on Boy or October.

Hm, no. Boy and October are U2's fourth and sixth best albums. KOL couldn't produce one song to even compare to feckin' MIAMI. They'd be hard-pressed to recreate Boy/Girl!

Useless, incompetent bastards. I should go into music. I can play guitar, sing better, and write better lyrics than those hacks.

I never heard anything about Oasis opening for U2 next fall. Althought that would be awesome, and they have before, they have their own tour to worry about.

SMB

I think KoL are terrible! I've tried to get into them - but I can't get past the horrible singing... Shudder...

Sigh - the things I'll sit through to hear U2! ;)

Shawn Bonneau said:
I never heard anything about Oasis opening for U2 next fall. Althought that would be awesome, and they have before, they have their own tour to worry about.

SMB

yea a whole 8 shows in the states in June, they have no dates set up for fall at all, they'll be done with the UK and Europe by the time U2 come back to the states.

no, Oasis just played two nights openning for U2 on Popmart in Oakland, California June 18th and 19 1997. I was at the first night.

Kings of Leon suck. Hopefully the crowd at San Diego will boo them off.

nuke126 said:
no, Oasis just played two nights openning for U2 on Popmart in Oakland, California June 18th and 19 1997. I was at the first night.

I was at both nights, but what does this have to do with the discussion at hand? We're talking about their 2005 tour.

H said:

You forgot the smiley.

I was hooked on U2 by the first album when it first came out, not one thing the Kings of Leon have released comes close.

Europe gets listenable support acts. I thank U2 for allowing me to nto have ot take a few hours off work in order to catch the support act. Sitting in traffic on the 5 will be a lot better than putting up the Kings of Leon.

I don't mind them but I don't think they are as good as any of Elevations opening acts. The lead singer sounds like a cross between Bob Dylan and Steven Tyler to me in many of their songs.:wink:

Actually, wasn't PJ Harvey scheduled to be the sole opener for the 1st leg of Elevation? My memory is that only an illness forced other bands to step in to play the first few shows.

There were many more openers for the 3rd leg of the tour (ie, the 2nd North American leg)

jon_lemire said:
Actually, wasn't PJ Harvey scheduled to be the sole opener for the 1st leg of Elevation? My memory is that only an illness forced other bands to step in to play the first few shows.

There were many more openers for the 3rd leg of the tour (ie, the 2nd North American leg)

Yep that's true, except the Miami shows (The Corrs had those), PJ was supposed to open everywhere on that leg. Nonetheless I was happy in Charlotte that Nelly Furtado was filling in as I know her personally and got to go backstage albeit for a very short period of time, didnt meet any of U2 though cept Dallas Schoo lol.

I like Kings of Leon a lot. I've liked them for several years, and I'm looking forward to seeing them, though I never expected they'd open for U2. They've got a much different sound, and a much different image, but I hope at least some fans will be open to their music.

They're young and they're still growing as musicians, but they've already been maturing quickly. Their first album was much more polished than their EP, and their new album is even stronger.

Nobody has an easy time opening for U2--by the time the opening act goes on, everybody's ready for what they really came for--but I think Kings of Leon will put on a good show.

Axver I think you best go do some research on the years when U2 formed. The contract demos U2 put out when they were trying to get signed are some of the worst most laughable songs ever. Now you may chose to ignore this fact and say U2 could play their insterments but really they couldnt they only learned to play them through years of practice, and the band has said themselves many times "we were a band before we knew how to play our insterments", and that is exactly what they were.

None the less it wouldnt make any difference who was opening up for U2 there would be plenty of people that would be disappointed and in the end it really doesnt make any difference because only about 20 percent of the crowd will be there until U2 hits the stage anyways.

I will tell you one thing...Kings Of Leon are 10 times better then the shit I had to sit through in Popmart when Fun Lovin Criminals opened. Keep up your complaining though it actually is quite entertaining.

Yahweh said:
Axver I think you best go do some research on the years when U2 formed. The contract demos U2 put out when they were trying to get signed are some of the worst most laughable songs ever. Now you may chose to ignore this fact and say U2 could play their insterments but really they couldnt they only learned to play them through years of practice, and the band has said themselves many times "we were a band before we knew how to play our insterments", and that is exactly what they were.

Go listen to the solo in Street Mission. Edge could play.

That's a whole lot more than I can say for that KOL hack.

Ive listened to the Street Mission solo it really doesnt do much for me, and Street Mission was the best song of a real bad bunch of tracks.

In the end Street Mission sounds like a very bad mix of Oasis and Green Day....Oasis in instermentation and Green Day in vocals...U2 got very lucky when they were signed and I promise you that if U2 came out today at the same quality they came out then they wouldnt have got that break.

Im not saying Kings Of Leon are the greatest band in the world because they arent what I am saying though is that U2 could have done much worse when picking an opening act. It really doesnt matter if it was up to me there would be no opening act...I didnt particuarly think PJ Harvey was anything special outside of 1 or 2 tracks last tour either.

I think its really unfair to compare Kings of the Leon to U2. There 2 completly different bands. U2 rocks for what they do and Kings of the Leon rocks for what they do. I think the least you guys can do is so some respect for there set (what is it, 40 minutes) and quit wishing for fans to boo them of stage???? Every band does not have a singer with a voice of Bono's or guitar style of the Edge. Its what makes music so great, difference. Just show enough respect for any band that opens for U2. Booing any opening act before U2 is not going to get our boys out anytime sooner, its just going to make you look like a closed minded fool.

I would never boo a musician or band unless they did something offensive. I will listen to some of their songs before the tour to get comfortable with their music and applaud after each song. I can't play air guitar so I have total respect for all these artists whether I like their music or not. except for Ashlee Simpson:wink:

Back
Top Bottom