Kardinia Park, Geelong, Victoria, Australia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stereotypes in the first song alone:

Good neighbours: 4
This is my home: 3
Away from home: 3
Things slower in the country: 1
Bars: 1
Country folk: 1

Second song is disappointing from a lulz perspective ... it's just a song about relationshop troubles (ergo the title, Vicious Circles) that isn't even particularly country-ish and could be the downtempo sad ballad on any otherwise heavy rock band's album.

All I got for my stereotypes count was:

Christian reference: 2
Relationship trouble: 4

But the next song is called Country Boy, sooo ...

Oh my god! :lmao:

That had more stereotypes than you could shake a stick (or rifle) at. Here's the best count I could muster - practically everything managed to sneak in to this spoken word bit at the end. "I love my country, I love my guns, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me. That should be all of our attitudes, 'cause this is America, and a country boy is good enough for me, son." :crack:

Dirt road: 2
Home in the country: 2
Drinking/alcohol: 3
War: 2
Smoking: 1
Country boy: 5
Family: 3
Tatty clothes: 1
Gun/hunting reference: 3
Tractor: 1
Truck: 1
US patriotism: 6
Christianity: 1
Small government: 1

I will say I am not at all shocked that he released a country album. It's been a while managed to gain them a pretty country based audience.

Nothing's going to top I love your love the most for country stereotype references, I do believe.

Fourth song is like the second, but instead of being the troubled relationship ballad, it's the "I love and need you" ballad that practically any band could have. Disappointing on the stereotype count.

But oh my god, that Country Boy song, it's as if he literally just brainstormed a whole bunch of things that rural Americans stereotypically like and turned it into lyrics. It's agonising!

Oh thank fuck, done! Final song is his ode to Massachusetts and his family. At least it's Massachusetts rather than a stereotypical southern state pick?

Away from home/longing for home: 3
Home: 5
Daughters: 5
Wife: 4
Parents: 1
US patriotism: 1
Country folk: 1

Musically the whole thing is just completely bland and derivative. I'm glad that's done and dusted! 1/5.

Axver said:
Oh my god! :lmao:

That had more stereotypes than you could shake a stick (or rifle) at. Here's the best count I could muster - practically everything managed to sneak in to this spoken word bit at the end. "I love my country, I love my guns, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me. That should be all of our attitudes, 'cause this is America, and a country boy is good enough for me, son." :crack:

Dirt road: 2
Home in the country: 2
Drinking/alcohol: 3
War: 2
Smoking: 1
Country boy: 5
Family: 3
Tatty clothes: 1
Gun/hunting reference: 3
Tractor: 1
Truck: 1
US patriotism: 6
Christianity: 1
Small government: 1

:lol::lol:

Chinderwear! Frank's wearing the basic brief, and Dr Forrester's wearing the bikini cut. They also come in boxer, Italian bun-hugger, and of course, the Joe Namath knitted slingshot brief. They're affordable, comfortable and leave no visible panty line.

We watched some mst3k last night. Tears were shed.

I had an allergic reaction to a sandwich (WTF?) and my mouth started to swell something awful, so I took half a dose of children's benadryl and got completely plastered, like I'd done four shots of tequila or something. Children's benadryl. Half the dose! Anyway, the swelling in my mouth went down, I watched the Poopie Reel, and then I tried to get through the "Manos" Hands of Fate episode and not even Joel and The Bots riffing (not that there's much to riff on) could keep me awake. I was in bed, sound asleep by 10:30 on Halloween. Oh, my God. I'm getting old.

Which one did you guys watch?

Also: my listening to Lady Gaga tonight was ruined with thoughts of Friggin' Cobbler. Her song Paper Gangsta kinda fits him perfectly, though.

AND ANOTHER THING! Helped out in my brother's class all day Monday (probably the main reason I was exhausted, aside from taking him trick-or-treating for an hour). Eight boys between the ages of 8 and 12 with autism. Aidan, who doesn't initiate conversations with people came up to me and said "You're funny" with a grin on his face. The teacher said he was flirting with me. Aleck got upset and climbed me like a spider monkey. And Jack climbed in my lap every chance he got to try to charm me into giving him candy and donuts. But the teacher was impressed with how well the kids took to me and that I just went with the flow that she's calling her friend up at the University of Utah who can get me scholarships and grants to be a special education teacher. Special Ed's not exactly what I want to do, but it can't hurt to have the extra certification, even if I teach a regular class. So, kind of cool.

Cool news, Region :up:

For me, regardless of how good the riff on hands of Fate is, the movie's just TOO dull, can't really enjoy that one.

We watched Cave Dwellers. The beginning was hilarious, but by the middle the same thing with Hands of Fate happened, and Travis and I both fell asleep.

I fantasised 'bout this back in Chicago
Mercy mercy me that Murcielago
That's me the first year that I blow
How do you spell broke in Spanish me no hablo

My favourite bit of that is "we can't say words like STREWTH! or CORKER!"

Actually, my favourite bit of it is every second.

If that was still on, I would deliberately stay home every Saturday night.

What scares me is how relevant the Bruce Macavaney at the Barcelona Olympics sketch still is to practically every Australian sport.

It's time to watch The Beast of Yucca Flats. MST3K style, though I do own it on its own as well.

I think it's time for you to watch The Late Show's champagne comedy!

I'll just go ahead and co-sign this from Cobbler too.

Yes, do yourself the greatest favour.

Axver said:
What scares me is how relevant the Bruce Macavaney at the Barcelona Olympics sketch still is to practically every Australian sport.

I had a good one: imagine if Lucas Cranach and Mayenne Corniche got married. I'd pass out!

Pure Reason Revolution have broken up.

You have no idea how sad I am. One of my favourite bands and their music has just been a constant for me during the last six years. They never even came to Australia.

I wrote a longer post on the B&C thread. Just ... damn, I wish I could justify blowing my savings on a trip to England to see their final show. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom