Kardinia Park, Geelong, Victoria, Australia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My condolences, Ax. I can't imagine how I'd feel when one of my favourite bands calls it a day (apart from you-know-who, Splean and MSP).

To get both Charlotte and I to PRR's last gig is just ... I think it would exhaust every last cent. As in, to the point where we wouldn't be able to pay regular bills. It's right during our New Zealand holiday too. I wish it were feasible but it isn't. God fucking damn. Wish I were on first name basis with a promoter who could coax them down here for a final hurrah.

The Neon Indian news is good though. Presume national dates shall follow.

A "what are you smelling?" thread has made it to a fifth installment?

Wow, people really will post in anything.

Found this shit for $1.50 tonight and was literally on the floor laughing:

20110405-051424.jpg

"DESIGNED FOR MAINTENANCE"

Evidently, all this does is prolong the unspeakably horrible life your cat leads in a poor household led by an owner who invariably eats nothing but beans and the newspaper he covers himself with. Check out the cat's incredulous look, amazed that this shit is actually being sold. I feel bad for laughing. I feel bad for that cat.

Comcast customers are a special bunch. Very special. Especially the guy today who called in and asked if we broadcast MTV Jams in HD. Well, Viacom doesn't so we don't. I told him so. He starts bawling. Not crying, not angrily screaming, bawling like I've just told him he has butt cancer and three hours to live. In between bawls, he keeps alternating between asking me again if we carry it, telling me his Mommy will know the number for MTV to call them, and asking me to knock $20 off his bill. This went on for ten minutes. I sat there trying not to giggle, but also feeling like I had been punk'd hard. When he finally stopped bawling, I tempted fate by asking him if there was something else I could help him with. He muttered some nonsequitur about English muffins and hung up. See? Special.

The Neon Indian news is good though. Presume national dates shall follow.

Praying so fucking hard you won't even believe it. Well, not praying, but you get the idea.

When is the Perth festival? If, in the extremely unlikely event he announces a show for Adelaide, I better not be in Sydney when it's on (early January).

Praying so fucking hard you won't even believe it. Well, not praying, but you get the idea.

When is the Perth festival? If, in the extremely unlikely event he announces a show for Adelaide, I better not be in Sydney when it's on (early January).

His Perth Festival appearance is 26/02, so I imagine that will either be the start or finish of a national tour. But yeah, now the big question for you is whether he'll hit up Adelaide. Surely he'll stop over on the way to/from Perth!

Cheers for that. I'll be inconsolable if he doesn't stop by. :( After going to Sydney I won't be able to afford another interstate trip too soon afterwards.

Goddamn, I just went to use an iTunes gift card ... only to find that it's for iTunes New Zealand and my account is iTunes Australia. Any attempt to change and iTunes gets shirty with me.

So somebody made a thread on RYM about pre-1960s singles. I have ... about four pre-1960s ratings. I'm going to go through some of these singles and see how this all works out. Given my previous feelings towards pre-1960s music that I've heard, I'm not sure I expect to give out many good scores. :uhoh:

(Honestly, for me, with a few notable exceptions, it's not until the mid to late 1970s that I start to give consistently good ratings.)

Looking through that list of best songs from the last century, I knew and loved quite a few of them.

So I've just padded out my 1 to 2.5 star ratings rather well with stuff from the 1900s to 1950s ... a few 3s, one 3.5, and since the list I was working from was actually a "pre-Beatles" list rather than a strict "pre-sixties" list, it included a Link Wray single from the early sixties that I gave a 4.

It's just amazing how staggeringly different musical aesthetics were a mere sixty or seventy years ago.

Finally listening to Fables of the Reconstruction. Lazy me.

About bloody time, young man!

If you asked me to make a list of my favourite REM songs, Feeling Gravity's Pull would be #1 and Driver 8 would make the top five.

Almost all of the rest of the album is amazing too. Auctioneer is agonisingly under-rated.

I pretty much never rate singles, but making a list might be fun. Favorite pre -50s is probably "Wonderful World". Favorite from the 50s is "Beyond the Sea" by Bobby Darin.

If you asked me to make a list of my favourite REM songs, Feeling Gravity's Pull would be #1 and Driver 8 would make the top five.

Almost all of the rest of the album is amazing too. Auctioneer is agonisingly under-rated.

I found Feeling Gravity's Pull to be excellent.

The album as a whole, is good, but it's hard to judge an album from first listen as the music, in this case, is purely in the background unlike in further listens. Just something I've noticed in my album listenings.

I've been playing a lot of R.E.M. today and yesterday, I'm in love with I Took Your Name and Let Me In and I listened to Up for the first time.

I pretty much never rate singles, but making a list might be fun. Favorite pre -50s is probably "Wonderful World". Favorite from the 50s is "Beyond the Sea" by Bobby Darin.

I don't get the thing some people on RYM have against rating singles. Music is music, who cares about the format? Especially when you consider that pre-sixties, singles were the main format, and pre-forties, the album as we know it did not exist.

I found Feeling Gravity's Pull to be excellent.

The album as a whole, is good, but it's hard to judge an album from first listen as the music, in this case, is purely in the background unlike in further listens. Just something I've noticed in my album listenings.

I've been playing a lot of R.E.M. today and yesterday, I'm in love with I Took Your Name and Let Me In and I listened to Up for the first time.

For me, all of REM's first three albums took time to grow on me. I liked them all from the start, but with the exception of Fables, didn't rate them that highly. In fact, Murmur was once one of my lowest rated REM albums. Now it's second only to Fables. Point being, you'll definitely get more from Fables with future listens.

Up does little for me.

I don't rate singles, BTW, because singles are a two part component, the A-side and the B-side. If I don't know both songs, I don't rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom