Just got back from dress rehearsal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rita's dad

Babyface
ok - so there were approx. 150-200 people outside the Sports Arena a little after 6pm L.A. time when a security guard came out and announced everyone would be allowed in if they put away their cellphones and cameras. as I had my dog with me, I stashed her and my phone back in my car and ran back to the Arena - I was the last person to get in.

everyone was directed to Section 16 and there were enough people to fill three sections at the side of the arena. Across the way, radio contest winners filled up two sections on the other side. Crew members and management, etc. sat in a row of seats in front of sound board or scattered in a section of seats behind the sound board.

The stage and catwalk are almost identical to the last tour.

At approx. 6:40 pm, the lights went off and all five sections cheered as loudly as possible.

Here's the setlist to the best of my memory:

City of Blinding Lights

Electric Co. (the band rocks this song hard)

An Cat Dubh

Into the Heart (these two songs are done seamlessly with Bono lying down on the catwalk during the transition)

Beautiful Day

Miracle Drug (Edge starts this one bare with just his guitar and Bono decided not to give the back story about this song because he knew the audience was made up of hardcore fans, "You all know the story anyway.")

Sometimes You Can't Make It....(dedicated to Mr. Hewson)

Love and Peace or Else (Larry is pounding a portable bass drum on the catwalk - when Larry goes back to his drum kit, Bono takes over pounding on the bass drum - this song is much better live than on the record)

Elevation

Stuck in a Moment (done with Edge on keyboards - Bono calls it a beautiful song that they messed up tonight)

Yahweh (done acoustically with Larry playing keyboards)

Bullet the Blue Sky

Running to Stand Still (done Joshua Tree style with Edge on keyboards - the smoke pours out at the end of this song a la the Zoo TV tour)

Zoo Station (the intro to this song is a video which concerns a U.N. human rights declaration of 1948 that is alternately read by a man and woman - Bono marches on the catwalk through the smoke during this song. He is joined by Edge on the catwalk)

The Fly (words are flashed on the curtains of light beads - you'll understand when you see the show - a la Zoo TV)

Vertigo (after the band finished the song, Bono had the band re-start the ending of the song as he put in lyrics from "Stories For Boys" - I kid you not)

encore break

Pride (I wish they would have done Gloria here instead. Bono talks about Dr. King's dream 40 yrs ago and has the crowd sing the vocals on Oh, oh, oh)

Where The Streets Have No Name (different nation's flags are scrolled on the curtains of lights)

One (Bono asks everyone to text msg their name to a specific number flashed on the video screen - and all the names will scroll across the video screen. He said that he wants to sign up 1 million Americans to the human rights cause)

All Because of You (Bono intros the song saying they're a band from Ireland called U2 a la his monologue in the middle of Out of Control on the last tour)

40 (the song is done identically as it was on the Joshua Tree tour with Edge & Adam switchings sides & guitars; Bono using the hand-held stage light to send a beam of light into the crowd and Larry pounding the drums before departing. Bono stops towards the end of the song and says that he's reminded of a t-shirt that he saw on Venice Beach which said, "There are no rehearsals" - so he said that tonite was show 1 of the Vertigo tour.)

At 8:40pm, Larry left the stage, the crowd continued to sing "How Long to sing this song" and the house lights came on.

Overall, I have different thoughts about this show. There's nothing new about the staging from the last tour. The lighting is interesting and unique with these curtains of LED beads that the band actually has to walk through to get on the catwalk. It's unbelieveable to me that songs 2-4 are from the early days - I have been to thirty shows since the Joshua Tree tour and I've never heard those songs done live. Bono doing bits of "Stories For Boys" was definitely a treat for the old-school fans. It's really weird to see the band do a full show with only five sections of the arena filled. I'm looking forward to seeing the band rock out with the energy of an arena filled with fans. I'm hoping the set list changes a bit on Monday night in San Diego.

I am still in shock that they are doing Electric Co., An Cat Dubh / Into The Heart, and "40", the same way they used to! I especially never expected ACD/ITH again. Ever.

:up:

Fantastic review, thanks so much, and well done for getting in!

By the way, was The Electric Co. done by itself or with The Cry?

Wow!
I am so jealous of you!
:bow:

That had to be an amazing experience!
Stories for Boys??? Incredible!
I don't know how I'm going to be able to wait until Sept. 21 in Chicago but I guess living vicariously through you guys will have to do until then.

Thank you SO much for the detailed report. I know if I were you I probably wouldn't get ANY sleep tonight. Heck, I'd probably go help out the Easter bunny with all of the energy I'd have.:dance:

some quick answers to questions just posed:

a) no photos - security insisted on cameras or cell phones. they frisked everyone going into the arena.

b) Electric Co. was done by itself - no The Cry.

rita's dad said:
some quick answers to questions just posed:

a) no photos - security insisted on cameras or cell phones. they frisked everyone going into the arena.

b) Electric Co. was done by itself - no The Cry.

Thanks for the answer! I also see someone else on this site said Bullet had a snippet of Hands That Built America and a verse of other (probably new) lyrics in it. Could you make out those other lyrics?

Bono definitely incorporated some new lyrics in Bullet - but the sound mix was very muddy at the Sports Arena (it's an old building) and I couldn't make the words out - if others posted that they came from Hands That Built America - then I'll go along. Edge's solo on the song was the Star Spangled Banner.

njelevation - it's funny - I don't feel particularly lucky. On Fri night, I just showed up at 12:30 am just when Adam and Bono were leaving the arena. Within five minutes of arriving, I was shaking hands with Bono and asking him about his voice and the World Bank. Amazingly, there were only 25 fans waiting outside.

Today, I showed up around 3:30pm and - within a few hours - they allowed all the fans to enter the arena.

I think luck is determined sometimes by just showing up.

On a side note, I went to Penn as well - but I graduated back in '90.

Edge does a guitar solo during Bullet and tonight, the solo morphed into the Star Spangled Banner (the U.S. national anthem).

fyi, there were a handful of Brazilians at the show tonight and waiting for the band on Fri. night. One Brazilian girl got Bono to sign her cd and he wrote, "I love Brazil". She asked Bono if U2 were going to come to Brazil on this tour and he told her that if the band felt strong at the end of this year, they would try to extend the tour to South America. Tonight, a gentleman yelled "Brazil!!" during the show.

rita's dad said:
Bono definitely incorporated some new lyrics in Bullet - but the sound mix was very muddy at the Sports Arena (it's an old building) and I couldn't make the words out - if others posted that they came from Hands That Built America - then I'll go along. Edge's solo on the song was the Star Spangled Banner.

njelevation - it's funny - I don't feel particularly lucky. On Fri night, I just showed up at 12:30 am just when Adam and Bono were leaving the arena. Within five minutes of arriving, I was shaking hands with Bono and asking him about his voice and the World Bank. Amazingly, there were only 25 fans waiting outside.

Today, I showed up around 3:30pm and - within a few hours - they allowed all the fans to enter the arena.

I think luck is determined sometimes by just showing up.

On a side note, I went to Penn as well - but I graduated back in '90.

Speaking of Bono's voice, how'd he sound tonight? After all, this is the longest set he's had to sing through since the Elevation tour ended. Also, just out of curiosity, what had you asked him about his voice?

This is all so awesome. I can't wait for Monday and the first bootlegs :)

thanks again for all the info, I think everything sounds too good to be true. All this info and add to it the possibility of switching up setlists, this tour might be more than amazing

rita's dad said:
fyi, there were a handful of Brazilians at the show tonight and waiting for the band on Fri. night. One Brazilian girl got Bono to sign her cd and he wrote, "I love Brazil". She asked Bono if U2 were going to come to Brazil on this tour and he told her that if the band felt strong at the end of this year, they would try to extend the tour to South America. Tonight, a gentleman yelled "Brazil!!" during the show.

:faint: :combust: :crack: :sad: Thank you so much for that! :hug: :bow:

Bono's voice sounded strong tonight. There was really only one moment during the show where I felt his voice sounded weak (I forgot which song) - but he started and finished strong. He even did the high-pitched "whoo's" during Elevation - which I believe were pre-recorded on the last tour.

On Fri night, I asked him how his voice was doing. He told me that it was feeling great and how unusual that was at the start of a tour.

could you imagine if some shows you get electric co, i will follow, an cat dubh, 40

and then on other shows you get unforgettable fire, a sort of homecoming, gloria?

that would be awesome

I got in too, and one nice story was Bono came out to the fans at about 2:30pm - 3:00pm or so, and saw that there were about 60 of us. (I was the 2nd person there this morning at 10am) Someone mentioned "Do you think we can get in" and he said, he would try and get us in, if the crowd didn't get too big. Well most folks strolled in after that, and it might have been 200 at the end, but not much more than that. True to the word, they came and got us, once the Radio Station folks got in and were seated.

A nice screw up during Pride had most of us laughing, Edge wasn't playing and was talking to the Dallas? on the side of the stage, and Bono said something along the lines, of "You coulda solved the whole Civil Rights Movement while you were talking."

Hightlights:
Stuck
The Fly
Zoo Station
LOVE AND PEACE OR ELSE was my favorite though...

I had brought my DAT, but left it in the car based on I didn't really wanna chance getting kicked out of line once we were let in.

rita's dad said:
Bono's voice sounded strong tonight. There was really only one moment during the show where I felt his voice sounded weak (I forgot which song) - but he started and finished strong. He even did the high-pitched "whoo's" during Elevation - which I believe were pre-recorded on the last tour.

On Fri night, I asked him how his voice was doing. He told me that it was feeling great and how unusual that was at the start of a tour.

Rita's dad, you are the man!
I can't imagine being able to actually meet Bono and be able to have an actual conversation with him without stuttering all over the place.
Incredible! Way to go!

And by the way, did Rita go with you?

Rita is actually my dog. On Fri night, she was the only one who really didn't give a damn who Bono, Adam or Edge were. Today, she just hung out on the grass, played with a cocker spaniel that belonged to one of the road crew and spent the show asleep in my car. There was no way security was going to allow a golden retriever into the arena....

IMG_3814med.jpg

Can you guys talk more about the stage production? Did they give away all the surprises as in effects and lights? I still can't believe they played Zoo Station.

rita's dad said:
Rita is actually my dog. On Fri night, she was the only one who really didn't give a damn who Bono, Adam or Edge were. Today, she just hung out on the grass, played with a cocker spaniel that belonged to one of the road crew and spent the show asleep in my car. There was no way security was going to allow a golden retriever into the arena....

Thanks for the clarification on Rita.
Golden retrievers are the most beautiful dogs in the world in my opinion.
But I'm sure rita likes it when Bono sings, "Little sister. I've been sleeping in the street again. Just like a stray dog."

Right?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom