It's GA "line" shenanigan time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to the show tomorrow here in Houston, what time should I lineup to help my chances on getting a rail spot on B stage..? You'll think 4:00-5:00 AM would do it..? I obviously won't hold you'll to anything, but anything helps.. THX

I just saw that the line has already started! There's people on my facebook posing with numbers on there hands in double digits

what

a

surprise..

Don't be fooled. This numbering on hand BS does happen in Europe, case in point Dublin; Croke Park 2009 & 3Arena 2015. It's VERY annoying.

Add , Brussels, Frankfurt, Hannover, Amsterdam, Antwerp and more.
Its the same system, just different faces of entitled and full of themselves people.

I've never encountered the line police anywhere in Europe, because we aimed for gold circle not barrier perhaps is why I've never noticed it. For the IE shows i would have thought being further back was better

I have just read that the GA line/check-in for Houston has already started!

It DID !! I just saw a bunch of pictures with people flaunting their numbers.

And guess what , they are inside :) How surprising.

Look, at the end of the day, here's the thing: I very much appreciate the fan's working to try and make sure that there's a way for those of us who want to get there early to line up, despite the venue not wanting us on the premises. That's really not a big deal to me. It's the entitlement, the secret lists, and the general lack of transparency that pisses me off so much.

I will say, though, that I had no issues this year with the lines, mostly because I didn't try to get there too early. Hopefully no one else is getting much trouble, either.

A few posts here have said that a lot of this trouble could be fixed by U2's security guys playing an active role to ensure fair play.

That does happen with the Springsteen shows in Europe. One of his security guys (Graham Quinn) has that role at every show and his presence has on many occasions rescued the number system by insisting venue staff to walk those with numbers in first, in order.

However that has its downside also. Because all fans know that they have that safety blanket of Graham Quinn, every one knows they will get to the front, if they put the time in, so the number system has grown to ridiculous levels. Lines/Numbers starting 6 days in advance is common place with always the same faces getting single digits on the front row.

this is why they need to randomize the entries by ticket, just as the airlines do with boarding groups.

Hopefully they can avoid overselling the show and dragging people out...

This night before and 5am morning of crap for a STADIUM show is ridiculous.

A few posts here have said that a lot of this trouble could be fixed by U2's security guys playing an active role to ensure fair play.

That does happen with the Springsteen shows in Europe. One of his security guys (Graham Quinn) has that role at every show and his presence has on many occasions rescued the number system by insisting venue staff to walk those with numbers in first, in order.

However that has its downside also. Because all fans know that they have that safety blanket of Graham Quinn, every one knows they will get to the front, if they put the time in, so the number system has grown to ridiculous levels. Lines/Numbers starting 6 days in advance is common place with always the same faces getting single digits on the front row.

So they don't do the lottery in Europe? :down:

I'm not sure if it's comforting or disheartening to know other fandoms have this fuckery.

Can confirm about no lottery and people camping out a WEEK before a springsteen gig starts.

A little bit of the Euro Springsteen shenanigans here:

Note at 41 seconds - "The list for the first 2000 access is closed"
i.e. if you are not on it, get out of here.
:shifty:

this is why they need to randomize the entries by ticket, just as the airlines do with boarding groups.

Hopefully they can avoid overselling the show and dragging people out...
:lol: Let's not get United to run the lines please.

As for the lottery, I don't mind rewarding those that are prepared to line up the day of the show, but multiple days in line is craziness. So I'd like to see an early morning lottery. You'd get different faces at the front each show, even if the lotto number didn't fall well for you you'd still have a decent spot, & the craziness of multiple nights of camping would be stopped. I wouldn't want a 4pm lottery. A bad number & you could be miles back, I'm too short for that!

Still after Manchester I wonder if venues might try to do something to limit crowds in GA lines. That Springsteen line is crazy, & definitely a soft target. Once the crowd is through the security check they're much safer. Although, I guess exciting the venue is the biggest problem, when crowds are their greatest, as we've just seen :sad:

Last edited:

How on earth did I end up almost being able to give Bruce a prostate exam after buying a ticket the day before the show, and sitting outside drinking beer and second handing weed during the opener?

I'm ok with this. I was in the 2009 stampede too (was on the "original" list), and the line was certainly handled way better this time, although we didnt get in it until 4-ish on Sat. because of the heat so the list was irrelevant to us. We still got a great spot near the b-stage.

Anyway, what bothers me is that even though the RB was working with the fans for a week, their late in the day Friday email said nothing of it and for GA people to just show up at 8am. This was my 4th GA so I know about the lists, etc. and I chose not to be on it this time.

But if this were my first time in GA, and I didnt know about all these list shenanigans but wanted to show up early to get a good place in line and get close to the band for the first time in my life, I'd be pretty pissed showing up at 8 as instructed by the venue only to find an army of Starbucks-latte-holding wrist-number-wearing superfans already in line that were privy to some special secret list that was arranged in cahoots with the venue.

I guess I'd hope that the RB would find a way to make it fair for everyone by being more open about it, but I get that there are a lot of factors and ultimately people will always find a way to game the system.

The RB was organized because of the half dozen fans that had been working with U2 security and RB venue staff for a week to assure that 2009 didn't repeat itself.

The folks that started and maintained the RB lines should be thanked for their efforts, not maligned.

But hey, haters gonna hate.

What pisses me off is that the venue has a policy against camping, and doesn't want the GA line to start until 8AM of show day, but they all just allow the violators of this policy to get away with it. Why even have the policy if it doesn't matter whether anyone follows it?

What would be great, sweet justice is if anyone shows up before 8AM of show day, they can start their "list", but when the line actually officially forms, those folks have to start at number 501, 502, 503 or some such as punishment. Anyone showing up at 8AM (or near-abouts) as instructed can get the actual beginning of the line. That way those that follow the rules are rewarded, and those that don't are punished, as it should be. Rather than right now where it's the opposite.

If this policy was made CLEAR ahead of time, before people start lining up, maybe they won't. And then if they do anyway, they have no right to whine when they get bumped back to 500, because they were told exactly what would happen, but chose to start their nonsense anyway.

Springsteen fans queue early....the gold circle for Wembley was full by 8am last year...

What pisses me off is that the venue has a policy against camping, and doesn't want the GA line to start until 8AM of show day, but they all just allow the violators of this policy to get away with it. Why even have the policy if it doesn't matter whether anyone follows it?

What would be great, sweet justice is if anyone shows up before 8AM of show day, they can start their "list", but when the line actually officially forms, those folks have to start at number 501, 502, 503 or some such as punishment. Anyone showing up at 8AM (or near-abouts) as instructed can get the actual beginning of the line. That way those that follow the rules are rewarded, and those that don't are punished, as it should be. Rather than right now where it's the opposite.

If this policy was made CLEAR ahead of time, before people start lining up, maybe they won't. And then if they do anyway, they have no right to whine when they get bumped back to 500, because they were told exactly what would happen, but chose to start their nonsense anyway.
The problem is you can't tell people to arrive at 8am, & organize themselves into an orderly line. There will be tonnes of people there, & it'll be chaos. So I think you need an early morning lottery, to get everyone organized, or use the unofficial line. My preference would be a lottery. I don't mind the unofficial line that much, it's better than chaos. But to make it fair I think the start time needs to be communicated on social media (Twitter & multiple forums) before the line starts, not after all their friends are on the list. Some of these people who run the lines aren't too nice, & feel self important. But others are very nice & put quite a bit of work into it. Just look at GA Joe who runs the line on occasions. A great guy, who has helped many, many noob GA'ers with his website.

Totally agree that the rose bowl's communication sucked. No email until the night before the show, & that email contradicted what actually happened the next day.

Last edited:
How on earth did I end up almost being able to give Bruce a prostate exam ?
Got to hand it to you Dr. Fingerman.

lxph4zl9ix6fd8xjurlf.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom