Is U2's Best Work Still To Come?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been a U2 fanatic since 1982. I too think AB and JT are their best albums, but I think the last two releases are a very close 3rd and 4th, lacking only the single focus and cohesiveness of their two masterpieces.

Yet in a lot of ways this band is improving. Musicianship improves with every album. Bono's vocals have improved to the level I haven't heard since War. And, despite their age, they remain aware of what's happening on the cutting edge of music.

I not only think it's possible for them to top their best work, I fully expect it.

So music is now judged by how many Grammies you win?

That's a sad commentary.

not necessarily but the point is that if you haven't produed anything that is any good, it is very easy to fluke something and then say look at us we have peaked as geriatrics.:up:

Just from one of the floating titles "The Cedars Of Lebanon" - it should that U2 are in an untapped dimension of creativity.

How often has a band used the word "cedars" in their lyrics, let alone the title? And what about "Lebanon"?

Remember, during ATYCLB, Bono used the lyric "parapet" in the song Always - and that was only a B-side!

U2's command of the Enlgish vocabulary is indeed getting deeper, and this can only mean better lyric writing. And there is also Edge's chord-playing that is already starting to get to stratospheric proportions and rivaling that of the great country artists of this generation.

Yes, the best is yet to come. And you can bet your bottom dollar on that.

...qg

U2's command of the Enlgish vocabulary is indeed getting deeper, and this can only mean better lyric writing. And there is also Edge's chord-playing that is already starting to get to stratospheric proportions and rivaling that of the great country artists of this generation.

I've not been round here that long but is it just me or are others starting to think bottlebono and qg might be taking the piss.......? :doh:

Honestly, "qg", you should've stayed quiet because you're pretty damn clueless about guitar playing. No self-respecting guitarist gives a shit about striking every string in a guitar chord at the precise moment every single time. NONE. There are more important things to worry about, like playing in rhythm or nailing difficult chord progressions. Playing chords correctly is a beginner lesson. So please, drop your amateur analysis and move on. Perhaps you can explain to us why the Edge rarely bends strings or why his acoustic guitar strumming patterns are so boring (ala Summer Rain and Electrical Storm)?

Desire opens with an urgent D-chord. Actually too urgent because it wasn't really strummed with the right spacing and balance. The last strum right before the riff is a bit "dirty" . But its still a three-chord song and it is what makes the song. Yes, it was their first UK#1.

For your information, the opening chord of Desire is an E chord, not D.

For your information, the opening chord of Desire is an E chord, not D.

Thanks for the correction. Now wonder I thought the time and spacing was off. D only involves 4 strings while E involves 6 strings. There is a big different in both chords. Sorry for confusing both. I will give the album version of the song a hard listen again, and then reassess my evaluation of the chord playing.

...qg

In the past, U2 had to finish the album to make pre-booked tour schedules (POP) and make contractual studio obligations (the last 40 minutes of the War album). Wasn't the Joshua Tree released shortly before the tour was to start?

In the early years, U2 had to churn out a lot of new material one after the other: U23, Boy, October, War, Under A Blood Red Sky, The Unforgettable Fire, Wide Awake In America - perhaps because they were not financially stable yet.

Zooropa was a burst of creative energy, but they still had to complete it before the next leg of their tour would start.

The Best Of 1990 to 2000, and then U2 18 were just to meet contractual obligations which was 3 compilations albums. Would you really consider a collaboration cover with Green Day or Electrical Storm as among their "best"? Surely not.

Every album U2 ever made before All That You Can't Leave Behind, can be characterized by one word: COMPROMISE.

Concessions had to be made and some corners had to be cut.

Now, U2 own their own studio. They are already filthy rich. They manage their own time and destiny, and are bigger than any producer or record label or entity to pressure them. No one can dictate to them what to do anymore. Not even Nelson Mandela could get them to his birthday bash.

Ever since All That You Can't Leave Behind, they have learned to make music just for the sake of music. They never sacrificed their artistic integrity. I know so many fans are so harsh with that album. If you look at the bigger picture, that was really U2's FIRST album - the one without any compromises.

So HTDAAB was just their sophomore effort.

As it has been the case with most bands, the third is always the best. The reason they are delaying the album is because they don't feel it is ready. Who are we to question them? Even if it takes two more years, I can wait. Because I know it will be U2's best work ever.

Bono's lyrical vocabulary and cohesion is at its all-time best.

The Edge's chords are as accurately played as ever, and he continues to be a student of guitar effects with tremendous mastery.

Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr. are forever the tightest rhythm section in the industry, but in a good way, Adam has proven in the Vertigo Tour that he can play loose, and Larry can ride on unrehearsed songs (such as Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses in the Hawaii closer). There are new tricks in the playbook of these two musical prodigies.

So what else can we expect? Surely it will be the best work, free of artistic compromise, and without a care in the world if they sell 100 or 100million copies - as long as their musical urges are satisfied. 100 days more or 100 years more, I will wait because I am sure it will be U2's best work yet.

In the past, U2 had to finish the album to make pre-booked tour schedules (POP) and make contractual studio obligations (the last 40 minutes of the War album). Wasn't the Joshua Tree released shortly before the tour was to start?

In the early years, U2 had to churn out a lot of new material one after the other: U23, Boy, October, War, Under A Blood Red Sky, The Unforgettable Fire, Wide Awake In America - perhaps because they were not financially stable yet.

Zooropa was a burst of creative energy, but they still had to complete it before the next leg of their tour would start.

The Best Of 1990 to 2000, and then U2 18 were just to meet contractual obligations which was 3 compilations albums. Would you really consider a collaboration cover with Green Day or Electrical Storm as among their "best"? Surely not.

Every album U2 ever made before All That You Can't Leave Behind, can be characterized by one word: COMPROMISE.

Concessions had to be made and some corners had to be cut.

Now, U2 own their own studio. They are already filthy rich. They manage their own time and destiny, and are bigger than any producer or record label or entity to pressure them. No one can dictate to them what to do anymore. Not even Nelson Mandela could get them to his birthday bash.

Ever since All That You Can't Leave Behind, they have learned to make music just for the sake of music. They never sacrificed their artistic integrity. I know so many fans are so harsh with that album. If you look at the bigger picture, that was really U2's FIRST album - the one without any compromises.

So HTDAAB was just their sophomore effort.

As it has been the case with most bands, the third is always the best. The reason they are delaying the album is because they don't feel it is ready. Who are we to question them? Even if it takes two more years, I can wait. Because I know it will be U2's best work ever.

Bono's lyrical vocabulary and cohesion is at its all-time best.

The Edge's chords are as accurately played as ever, and he continues to be a student of guitar effects with tremendous mastery.

Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr. are forever the tightest rhythm section in the industry, but in a good way, Adam has proven in the Vertigo Tour that he can play loose, and Larry can ride on unrehearsed songs (such as Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses in the Hawaii closer). There are new tricks in the playbook of these two musical prodigies.

So what else can we expect? Surely it will be the best work, free of artistic compromise, and without a care in the world if they sell 100 or 100million copies - as long as their musical urges are satisfied. 100 days more or 100 years more, I will wait because I am sure it will be U2's best work yet.

wat

Dude wtf are you talking about. Is this a joke?

I don't know where to start. So U2 have been making music up until 2000 and it wasn't even really their music? The band only really started up in their 40s? You're making it sound like ATYCLB and Atomic Bomb are creative triumphs and AB and JT were just a taste of how incredible albums like ATYCLB really are. Of course AB and JT are considered a couple of the greatest albums in rock. You're right. Songs like One, With or Without You, Where the Streets Have No Name and The Fly were just a taste of the musical masterpieces that are Elevation, Wild Honey, Miracle Drug and A Man and A Woman. And you're saying the third is always the best, when according to your way of thinking most bands have never even released a "real" album yet because they've had to cut corners due to studio and label restrictions.

Bono's lyrical vocabulary and cohesion are best now? W.T.F.

Listen to Miracle Drug and Elevation. Then listen to With or Without You and The Fly. Are you nuts? And Adam and Larry are about as far from musical prodigies as you see in the industry. Yeah, the band as a whole adds up to an amazing whole, but the best rhythm section in the industry? Do you listen to other music... at all?

And you think the band couldn't care less whether they sell a ton of records? For how much you love this band (to a dillusional level) you understand them so little. The band is money hungry. Period. Paul McGuinne$$ is their manager for frick's sake.

I feel stupid for even replying. I'm sure I'll regret it when I find out this guy is either joking or mentally disturbed.

*EDITED FOR BREVITY*

This is the most hilarious post I have ever read on this website I think. Comedy Gold!

To each his own...yet i can't see how any lifelong fan could possibly believe ATYCLB is U2's first album without compromise. Maybe for a newcomer who is more in tune with what is happening today in rock and has limited to no knowledge of anything that existed before the year 2000. But whatever.

Kinda reminds me of what Bono said about the Bomb on the DVD. "This is our first album, and Vertigo is our first single from our first album." I wanted to jump thru the screen and strangle him.

Not that i want to strangle this guy too. Haha, just making that clear.

My assessment of ATYCLB as U2's "first album without compromises" doesn't mean that I prefer it over The Joshua Tree. I just said what I felt after giving the situation a thorough analysis.

Please do not condemn the person for being "unnecessarily rude." I completely understand the rage and fire in this forum caused by the album delay. That announcement has certainly brought rage among the hardcore fans, and even the softcore ones still face bouts with anxiety, tantrums, and moody behavior. It is something akin to U2 withdrawal symptoms. It is all natural, so let us not be quick to find fault. I myself am guilty of this because of the unfortunate news.

Nevertheless, since I am confident this album will be U2's finest to date, when the opening chord of the first song is struck by The Edge for everyone to hear, not only will it have a soothing feeling it will also have a unifying effect among forum fans.

...qg

Sometimes people like to turn these discussions into a popularity contest, but honestly, going by my playlist count, Bomb is probably my favorite album. I thought Bomb was their best since Baby, though I know most U2-heads disagree (part of it is because the original title was How to BUILD an Atomic Bomb, then Bono took a more personal approach than political).

So I strongly believe, not only is their work getting better, but some of their best songs are around the corner.

But, alas, I am an island.

Best,
Wishful Thinker

My assessment of ATYCLB as U2's "first album without compromises" doesn't mean that I prefer it over The Joshua Tree. I just said what I felt after giving the situation a thorough analysis.

Please do not condemn the person for being "unnecessarily rude." I completely understand the rage and fire in this forum caused by the album delay. That announcement has certainly brought rage among the hardcore fans, and even the softcore ones still face bouts with anxiety, tantrums, and moody behavior. It is something akin to U2 withdrawal symptoms. It is all natural, so let us not be quick to find fault. I myself am guilty of this because of the unfortunate news.

Do not lecture me. Personal attacks/flaming/etc are against the rules here and it's my job to say something when they happen. Thanks for understanding.

...qg

No it's NOT. There is no excuse for being rude, even if you are pissed at U2. Don't let it out on other board members. If you cannot handle your emotions, go and book a anger management course. You write as if U2 were the most important thing in the world and their album postponement is a personal catastrophe to people. Excuse me, I LOVE U2 and they are a huge part of my life, but I'd be happy if this was the most horrible thing I have to worry about. Withdrawal symptoms? Don't people have other stuff to do in their lives?

There's no need for rudeness. But it's the usual suspects anyway.

Back
Top Bottom