Is U2 in trouble of losing the tittle of worlds...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zooropa man

Refugee
Ok, Coldplay's album is about to be released. Now, I love coldplay. They are my second favorite band. But, from hearing around, the buzz is that they can snatch the tittle of world's biggest band with this new release. A lot has been said that they are good but maybe not good enough to re-invent themselves and move from their sounds that they have laid down so far. Can they snatch the attention away from U2 and then leaving them to hand over the baton to Coldplay at Live8?What are your thoughts?

fuck that.

3 ok albums a superpower does not make.

media darlings they are right now; let the hype pass.

they're ok; just over hyped and full of themselves.

U2 has no competition right now.

Hey, U2 were taken serious by their third album too. I've heard some of their songs and so far they sound really good. U2 is still at the top of their game though.

JOFO said:
fuck that.

media darlings they are right now; let the hype pass.

they're ok; just over hyped and full of themselves.

U2 has no competition right now.

perfect post

JOFO said:

...media darlings they are right now...

:giggle: Sorry, just sounds like Yoda is answering the question here. No offense intended!!! :reject:

But I agree 100% with your point! :yes: :up:

Last edited:
Good article here:

Hot For Coldplay
They want to be the best, biggest band in the world. Ridiculous, right? But then the last people to talk like that were U2.

By Devin Gordon
Newsweek

May 30 issue - It's a March afternoon in Los Angeles, and Coldplay has just announced on a local radio station that the band will perform its first live show in a year and a half this evening at the tiny Troubadour, on Sunset Boulevard. Up until now the concert has been a "secret," meaning that only half the city knew about it. The 300 lucky souls who manage to get in the door—a group that will naturally include singer Chris Martin's wife, Gwyneth Paltrow, and, completely unnaturally, Don Johnson—will be the first to hear songs from Coldplay's long-anticipated new CD, "X&Y." But at the moment the band's racing through a sound check, and there are only two people in the audience: Coldplay's publicist, who's tapping out an apology on her BlackBerry to a prominent magazine editor who's irked he didn't know about the gig, and a NEWSWEEK reporter. "Hi," Martin says into the microphone, "thanks to both of you for coming. I don't know if you remember us. We used to be big."

advertisement

Once "X&Y" arrives on June 7, big is going to seem awfully small. About 60 seconds into the opening track, "Square One," a rush of guitar transforms Coldplay into something that, for all its gifts, it has never been: a thunderous rock-and-roll band. It's a deep, propulsive riff—a far cry from the bewitching melodies that have become Coldplay's stock in trade—and it sets the tone for an album that is, to put it as simply as possible, huge. Martin has never been shy about his belief that he's in "the best band in the world," and "X&Y" is a conscious effort to seize that title by force. "You want to be able to hold your head up high in a room with McCartney and Bono. That's one of the main things that drives me," says the singer, 28. "Are we trying to get to the next level? Yes. We're trying to get to the very highest level. We want to be better than Mozart. That doesn't mean we are, but that's what we're trying for. To me, there's no point in trying for anything less."

Coldplay doesn't have a reputation for mind-blowing live shows—a major flaw in its resume—but the muscular tunes on "X&Y" should take care of that. It is an album of anthems, built to be heard at supersonic volumes in arenas with 20,000 people. And on song after song, it's the guitar that puts the band over the top, turning mid-tempo rockers ("White Shadows," "Talk") into five-alarm blazes and giving heft to the CD's two obviously-about-Gwyneth tracks, "What If" and "Fix You." Both are lovely, but "Fix You," which is slated to be the second single, is the band's most elementally moving song since their breakthrough hit "Yellow." A close reading ("Tears stream/ down your face/when you lose something you can't replace") suggests it may be about the death of Paltrow's father in 2002. Like many of Coldplay's best songs, it skates on the brink of sentimentality with every note but never tips over. At a recent taping of VH1's "Storytellers," Martin called it "probably the most important song we've ever written." He's right. It's Coldplay's "With or Without You."

The only thing missing from "X&Y" is a teensy bit of daring. With the exception of the operatic title track, there's nothing here to match the structural originality of "Politik" from their last CD. Bands like U2 have been able to shed their skin once they've explored a sound for all it could offer; Coldplay is early in its career, but it hasn't hinted at a similar capacity for reinvention. If the band still sounds like this in five years, it won't have the same impact. At the moment, though, Coldplay may be the only rock band on the planet, U2 excepted, capable of galvanizing a broad, multigenerational audience. Evolution can wait.

The Band Speaks
Four Web-exclusive interviews with the members of Coldplay

Martin is indisputably Coldplay's engine, but there are, of course, three other people in the band. A guitarist, a bassist and a drummer—the usual. But it's a safe bet that you don't have the slightest idea what their names are. This is probably true even if you own both of Coldplay's two previous CDs, 2000's "Parachutes" and 2002's "A Rush of Blood to the Head," which have sold a combined 20 million copies worldwide, and even if you've read other articles about the band in which they've been quoted. By name. At least one of the three men—the guitarist—thinks this is just fine.

"Nobody knows the other members of bands," he says an hour after sound check, stretching out his 6-foot-3 frame on a sofa in a cozy suite at L.A.'s Chateau Marmont. "Only the singer. Look at R.E.M. Which one's the guitarist? The only reason I know Peter Buck's name is because of that time he got mad on a plane. The only way I could do it"—and by "it" he means achieving the level of fame enjoyed by Martin, who is so famous that his infant daughter, Apple, is better known than the rest of Coldplay combined—"is by getting into some kind of trouble. It could only be infamy." This is, of course, preposterous. Guitarists, especially, are often just as renowned as the singer. What about Keith Richards? "Massive drug habit." Come on, he's not known only for his drug habit. "But if he didn't have one, would he be as famous?" OK, Jimmy Page? "Witchcraft." The Edge? "Mustache." He laughs. "And how many people know his real name? Dave Evans, or whatever it is?"

Singers, rock-historically, are helium balloons—and guitarists are the guys with the rope around their waist keeping everyone anchored to the ground. The great thing about dynamic duos is that if you hate one of them, you can love the other. Coldplay could be even more compelling, notorious or whatever if its guitarist wasn't so damn... quiet. Right, Chris? "People who say that are c---s," says Martin. "It's the quiet ones you have to watch. China's pretty quiet, but it's also very great. When we're all speaking Chinese in 20 years, people will say, 'Well, I didn't realize—they were awfully quiet.' And when our guitarist is etched in marble all across England, people will say the same thing." Not if they don't know what to call him. But the guitar work on "X&Y" is so essential that anonymity won't be an issue much longer for Jonny Buckland.

advertisement

By the way, now that you know it, isn't that a great name for a guitarist?

One frigid February afternoon in Manhattan, the members of Coldplay gather in a mixing studio to finish work on "X&Y." Martin, who's clad in a black turtleneck and black slacks, has been a dad less than a year. Fatherhood, he says, "is f---ing amazing," and he insists he wasn't the least bit petrified the moment he learned he was about to become a parent. "Nobody's ready for anything," he says. "That's life. But we're talking about a thing in my life—my daughter—that is nothing but positive, that brings me nothing but happiness. I know I have to work hard. I know I can't quit the band now and become a crack addict. But there are bigger things to fear in life, you know? Going deaf. Having to sit through an Anthony Minghella film."

Lyrically, "X&Y" pulses with the anxiety of a man confronting the reality that life will inevitably snatch away the things most dear to him. "With every album we do, we're two years closer to death," Martin says with a grin. While he is happy to talk about fatherhood, he gets cagey when asked, point blank, if certain songs on "X&Y" are about his wife and child. "No, not really," he begins. Then his irritation rises. "I mean, I don't know. I don't give a f--- what they're about. They're about what they're about." His bandmates expect to face the same question ad nauseam. "We haven't practiced any responses—Britney Spears does that sort of thing," says bassist Guy Berryman, 27. "But if you listen to the lyrics, you can pretty well tell."

Domesticity isn't the only thing that's changed Coldplay over the past few years. It returned from its 2003 world tour a much different band than when it left. "A Rush of Blood" was a slow-building smash that peaked with its last single, the cascading, piano-driven "Clocks." "If we tried really hard, I'm sure we could've been even more ubiquitous," says drummer Will Champion, 27, laughing. "But we knew it was time to kind of go away for a bit." The band had to adjust to life as a mainstream cog, loved and loathed in equal measure. "We're not a cool band anymore like the Strokes or the White Stripes, and sometimes I feel insecure about that," says Berryman. "But only occasionally." Then his eyes gleam. "And we'll just see who's around the longest, eh?" Martin admits he winced when Radiohead's Thom Yorke, one of his heroes, labeled Coldplay "lifestyle music"—a dig at the band's universality in films, stores, airports and Mom's iPod. "We're like an eager dog just yapping around their heels, and they're trying to kick us away," he jokes. "It's like unrequited love. I'm in love with a lot of things. Some of those things love me back. And some of them don't—and one of them is Radiohead."

The Band Speaks
Four Web-exclusive interviews with the members of Coldplay

Trying to raise its game with "X&Y," Coldplay got off to a sluggish start. (Martin will disclose only two things about the album title: that it refers to the "tension of opposites" and that it was chosen over "The Outstanding Pectorals of Guy Berryman.") The guys went into the studio less than two weeks after the end of their tour and were still, according to Buckland, a bit too high on the fumes of their own awesomeness. "You get off tour and you think you're the greatest band ever because you've just been playing the same thing over and over, so you're really good at it," says the guitarist, 27. "And then you go into the studio, still thinking you're the greatest ever. So you think—or at least I certainly thought that everything I was writing was great. Then you play it back and you slowly realize, 'Actually, that's... that's not very good'." After a break to recharge, the guys gathered in a dingy north London rehearsal space, where they spent weeks jamming until things started to click.

At the mixing studio this evening, Coldplay is finally nearing the finish line with "X&Y." As Buckland and Champion muck around on their laptops in the next room, Martin and Berryman scrutinize the latest pass at "Fix You." As the song booms through the speakers, Martin yells out instructions to the engineer. "The first line of the chorus is a bit too... wet. Also, the bass needs to be just a little crisper. It's meant to sound New Order-ish." Berryman nods as the engineer fiddles with a dial. There. Perfect. "I can't listen to it anymore," says the singer. "There comes a point when you've heard something 8 million times and you've got to let it go." It's late and the band is craving dinner. Martin gets up to leave and grabs his jacket. But if he doesn't listen to a song more than 8 million times, are we going to? He puts his jacket back down. "OK, one more time."

© 2005 Newsweek, Inc.

Here's an article that is not quite so flattering for Coldplay. There is a huge backlash facing Coldplay right now.... (and not just on this site) :wink:

New York Times

June 5, 2005

The Case Against Coldplay

By JON PARELES

THERE'S nothing wrong with self-pity. As a spur to songwriting, it's right up there with lust, anger and greed, and probably better than the remaining deadly sins. There's nothing wrong, either, with striving for musical grandeur, using every bit of skill and studio illusion to create a sound large enough to get lost in. Male sensitivity, a quality that's under siege in a pop culture full of unrepentant bullying and machismo, shouldn't be dismissed out of hand, no matter how risible it can be in practice. And building a sound on the lessons of past bands is virtually unavoidable.

But put them all together and they add up to Coldplay, the most insufferable band of the decade.

This week Coldplay releases its painstakingly recorded third album, "X&Y" (Capitol), a virtually surefire blockbuster that has corporate fortunes riding on it. (The stock price plunged for EMI Group, Capitol's parent company, when Coldplay announced that the album's release date would be moved from February to June, as it continued to rework the songs.)

"X&Y" is the work of a band that's acutely conscious of the worldwide popularity it cemented with its 2002 album, "A Rush of Blood to the Head," which has sold three million copies in the United States alone. Along with its 2000 debut album, "Parachutes," Coldplay claims sales of 20 million albums worldwide. "X&Y" makes no secret of grand ambition.

Clearly, Coldplay is beloved: by moony high school girls and their solace-seeking parents, by hip-hop producers who sample its rich instrumental sounds and by emo rockers who admire Chris Martin's heart-on-sleeve lyrics. The band emanates good intentions, from Mr. Martin's political statements to lyrics insisting on its own benevolence. Coldplay is admired by everyone - everyone except me.

It's not for lack of skill. The band proffers melodies as imposing as Romanesque architecture, solid and symmetrical. Mr. Martin on keyboards, Jonny Buckland on guitar, Guy Berryman on bass and Will Champion on drums have mastered all the mechanics of pop songwriting, from the instrumental hook that announces nearly every song they've recorded to the reassurance of a chorus to the revitalizing contrast of a bridge. Their arrangements ascend and surge, measuring out the song's yearning and tension, cresting and easing back and then moving toward a chiming resolution. Coldplay is meticulously unified, and its songs have been rigorously cleared of anything that distracts from the musical drama.

Unfortunately, all that sonic splendor orchestrates Mr. Martin's voice and lyrics. He places his melodies near the top of his range to sound more fragile, so the tunes straddle the break between his radiant tenor voice and his falsetto. As he hops between them - in what may be Coldplay's most annoying tic - he makes a sound somewhere between a yodel and a hiccup. And the lyrics can make me wish I didn't understand English. Coldplay's countless fans seem to take comfort when Mr. Martin sings lines like, "Is there anybody out there who / Is lost and hurt and lonely too," while a strummed acoustic guitar telegraphs his aching sincerity. Me, I hear a passive-aggressive blowhard, immoderately proud as he flaunts humility. "I feel low," he announces in the chorus of "Low," belied by the peak of a crescendo that couldn't be more triumphant about it.

In its early days, Coldplay could easily be summed up as Radiohead minus Radiohead's beat, dissonance or arty subterfuge. Both bands looked to the overarching melodies of 1970's British rock and to the guitar dynamics of U2, and Mr. Martin had clearly heard both Bono's delivery and the way Radiohead's Thom Yorke stretched his voice to the creaking point.

Unlike Radiohead, though, Coldplay had no interest in being oblique or barbed. From the beginning, Coldplay's songs topped majesty with moping: "We're sinking like stones," Mr. Martin proclaimed. Hardly alone among British rock bands as the 1990's ended, Coldplay could have been singing not only about private sorrows but also about the final sunset on the British empire: the old opulence meeting newly shrunken horizons. Coldplay's songs wallowed happily in their unhappiness.

"Am I a part of the cure / Or am I part of the disease," Mr. Martin pondered in "Clocks" on "A Rush of Blood to the Head." Actually, he's contagious. Particularly in its native England, Coldplay has spawned a generation of one-word bands - Athlete, Embrace, Keane, Starsailor, Travis and Aqualung among them - that are more than eager to follow through on Coldplay's tremulous, ringing anthems of insecurity. The emulation is spreading overseas to bands like the Perishers from Sweden and the American band Blue Merle, which tries to be Coldplay unplugged.

A band shouldn't necessarily be blamed for its imitators - ask the Cure or the Grateful Dead. But Coldplay follow-throughs are redundant; from the beginning, Coldplay has verged on self-parody. When he moans his verses, Mr. Martin can sound so sorry for himself that there's hardly room to sympathize for him, and when he's not mixing metaphors, he fearlessly slings clichés. "Are you lost or incomplete," Mr. Martin sings in "Talk," which won't be cited in any rhyming dictionaries. "Do you feel like a puzzle / you can't find your missing piece."

Coldplay reached its musical zenith with the widely sampled piano arpeggios that open "Clocks": a passage that rings gladly and, as it descends the scale and switches from major to minor chords, turns incipiently mournful. Of course, it's followed by plaints: "Tides that I tried to swim against / Brought me down upon my knees."

On "X&Y," Coldplay strives to carry the beauty of "Clocks" across an entire album - not least in its first single, "Speed of Sound," which isn't the only song on the album to borrow the "Clocks" drumbeat. The album is faultless to a fault, with instrumental tracks purged of any glimmer of human frailty. There is not an unconsidered or misplaced note on "X&Y," and every song (except the obligatory acoustic "hidden track" at the end, which is still by no means casual) takes place on a monumental soundstage.

As Coldplay's recording budgets have grown, so have its reverberation times. On "X&Y," it plays as if it can already hear the songs echoing across the world. "Square One," which opens the album, actually begins with guitar notes hinting at the cosmic fanfare of "Also Sprach Zarathustra" (and "2001: A Space Odyssey"). Then Mr. Martin, never someone to evade the obvious, sings about "the space in which we're traveling."

As a blockbuster band, Coldplay is now looking over its shoulder at titanic predecessors like U2, Pink Floyd and the Beatles, pilfering freely from all of them. It also looks to an older legacy; in many songs, organ chords resonate in the spaces around Mr. Martin's voice, insisting on churchly reverence.

As Coldplay's music has grown more colossal, its lyrics have quietly made a shift on "X&Y." On previous albums, Mr. Martin sang mostly in the first person, confessing to private vulnerabilities. This time, he sings a lot about "you": a lover, a brother, a random acquaintance. He has a lot of pronouncements and advice for all of them: "You just want somebody listening to what you say," and "Every step that you take could be your biggest mistake," and "Maybe you'll get what you wanted, maybe you'll stumble upon it" and "You don't have to be alone." It's supposed to be compassionate, empathetic, magnanimous, inspirational. But when the music swells up once more with tremolo guitars and chiming keyboards, and Mr. Martin's voice breaks for the umpteenth time, it sounds like hokum to me.

interesting article...... hmmmm.... Yeah, certainly can't top bands like Pink Floyd, Beatles and ofcourse, our favorite U2.

The new album isn't good enough to propel them to that status. All the songs sound very similar.

caragriff said:
I'm going to see Coldplay live for the first time this summer. I like them, but I cannot imagine the live experience will be able to measure up to any type of U2-sized ecstasy for me. We'll see :)

Yeah, I hear you. They are really good live. I heard them play at the Hollywood bowl in '03. It's like if you were listening to their CD but it dosen't come close to the U2 experience.

The media wants to hype coldplay up just because there one of
the only bands around these days that can write decent songs.
I think coldplay definatley lacks a punch in their music,they need to stop putting themselves in the shadow of u2 and try to their own thing a bit more i think.(but there still a good band)

Zooropa man said:

Yeah, I hear you. They are really good live. I heard them play at the Hollywood bowl in '03. It's like if you were listening to their CD but it dosen't come close to the U2 experience.

agreed! i saw them in '03 in philly (camden, NJ, actually). was lucky enough to score front row seats. i've been front row at a U2 concert, too, so i've seen both bands performing live from an up-close position. even though coldplay were very good- very technically 'accurate'- there was something missing. the main difference, i think, was the lack of crowd interaction. bono loves interacting with the audience- he feeds off of the crowd's energy. if the crowd is a bit dead, bono will work so hard to get everyone singing and chanting.

by contrast, chris martin did not interact with the audience at all. that's not to say that he's not a passionate performer- he is. but he seemed kind of to be in a zone. there's just a major difference in intensity b/w a U2 show and a Coldplay concert.

those are just my thoughts on the live experience... :)

well said. Although when I went with my girlfriend, after watching the U2 DVD, videos and going to the elevation concert she pointed out something very intersting. That Chris try's to imulate bono's act. He does not interact with the crowd in the sense that bono does. I agree on that but did you notice that aswell....

edgeboy said:
The media wants to hype coldplay up just because there one of
the only bands around these days that can write decent songs.
I think coldplay definatley lacks a punch in their music,they need to stop putting themselves in the shadow of u2 and try to their own thing a bit more i think.(but there still a good band)

True, they're in a way trying to out-do U2 it seems. Not gonna happen. I mean, U2 admired The Clash, Led Zepplin and such and they came out with their "own" sound. That is why U2 are on a stage of their own. Nobody can join them their. I mean, they are their with the Beatles but they are defenitely on a stage of their own.

i used to like coldplay until recently. their cd is okay and the hype is waaaaaaaay too early and wrong. plus...their sound can not propel them to the status of best band in the world.

When they lose this title given by the media, they' answer appropriate - with the next strong album and an even stronger tour. So, who cares? When fans would leave the band because of that hype-a-go-go, they're no true fans at all. So, U2, just do one thing: WALK ON!

I've had X&Y for a couple weeks, and a like-hate relationship with Coldplay for a couple years. I like a couple songs off Parachutes, I think Rush of Blood is a VERY strong album, and I think X&Y...is boring. When Martin says things like "we'll have a hard time topping this album (which he did in EW), I feel sorry for him. X&Y has 3 or 4 good/great songs, but they all sound the same. Very self-indulgent, full of unneccessary lulls and strings.

AND, they blow in concert. I've seen them twice. Playing for 75-80 minutes each time. Martin is awkward and his voice doesn't hold up.

I love all this talk about "biggest band in the world" now, only because it makes U2 look even better.

Last edited:
I find the "quaking" about Coldplay being the biggest band in the world (when many would argue they already were prior to either of the new albums by U2 or Coldplay) interesting. Unheard of in my time here at interference.

I find most of the comments completely biased towards U2, with an emphasis on pointing out what Coldplay lacks rather than hoping that there is another great album to listen to this year.

Both bands are media juggernauts, and to deny that it is a PR move for both bands to lay claim to the biggest band in the world title is shortsighted in my opinion.

They both want to sell a lot of their albums and be very popular, and leave a great legacy.

The line that I find the most interesting was the review that stated X&Y (I paraphrase) is the blockbuster album that HTDAAB was supposed to be.

Why is everyone tearing down another world class band, for the sake of U2? Why can't we have multiple great bands that we can enjoy(or hell, not enjoy if that's the case too)? I hear many people on this board bitch daily about the state of music and how horrible it is, and here is Coldplay poised to give us what promises to at least be an interesting album...and all many of you can do is tear them down for rivaling U2 as the biggest band in the world. The same thing happened when Green Day was competing with U2 for some grammy nods...that album is brilliant (the best American album in years in my estimation) and all many did was tear it down, tear it down...instead of enjoying it for what it was and not hating it for being a perceived (and poorly so) threat to U2's self/media made throne.

Is U2 being the biggest, baddest, and most famously exposed so great? Do your friends compliment you daily on your wonderful foresight and good luck for betting on the winning horse that is U2? I find that U2 being what they are now is a bit annoying Tickets are harder to get, most of my interaction with non-U2 fans is defensive now, constant scrutiny by everyone in the media...I could use a little less mass media in my U2 these days. I liked the idea of the Ipod commercial, loved the actual video, even yearn for one of my own...but I hate defending that damn song and ad. I liked the underdog feeling of U2 when they were fighting for their audience during Popmart and rejoicing with them during Elevation. I choose to celebrate the fact that there is a growing trend in my favorite genre of music towards quality once again and not a moment too soon. I embrace all good music, regardless of the self titled, media titled or untitled. I haven't heard the rest of Coldplay's album, but I don't want to lose out on enjoying it because I am scared or pissed off about Chris Martin and his Bono-sized ego.

Last edited:
lancerla said:
When Martin says things like "we'll have a hard time topping this album (which he did in EW), I feel sorry for him.

I feel a little bit like this when I hear Edge talk about the Bomb being possibly their best work.

Flame on!

cmb737 said:
I find the "quaking" about Coldplay being the biggest band in the world (when many would argue they already were prior to either of the new albums by U2 or Coldplay) interesting. Unheard of in my time here at interference.

I find most of the comments completely biased towards U2, with an emphasis on pointing out what Coldplay lacks rather than hoping that there is another great album to listen to this year.

Both bands are media juggernauts, and to deny that it is a PR move for both bands to lay claim to the biggest band in the world title is shortsighted in my opinion.

They both want to sell a lot of their albums and be very popular, and leave a great legacy.

The line that I find the most interesting was the review that stated X&Y (I paraphrase) is the blockbuster album that HTDAAB was supposed to be.

Why is everyone tearing down another world class band, for the sake of U2? Why can't we have multiple great bands that we can enjoy(or hell, not enjoy if that's the case too)? I hear many people on this board bitch daily about the state of music and how horrible it is, and here is Coldplay poised to give us what promises to at least be an interesting album...and all many of you can do is tear them down for rivaling U2 as the biggest band in the world. The same thing happened when Green Day was competing with U2 for some grammy nods...that album is brilliant (the best American album in years in my estimation) and all many did was tear it down, tear it down...instead of enjoying it for what it was and not hating it for being a perceived (and poorly so) threat to U2's self/media made throne.

Is U2 being the biggest, baddest, and most famously exposed so great? Do your friends compliment you daily on your wonderful foresight and good luck for betting on the winning horse that is U2? I find that U2 being what they are now is a bit annoying Tickets are harder to get, most of my interaction with non-U2 fans is defensive now, constant scrutiny by everyone in the media...I could use a little less mass media in my U2 these days. I liked the idea of the Ipod commercial, loved the actual video, even yearn for one of my own...but I hate defending that damn song and ad. I liked the underdog feeling of U2 when they were fighting for their audience during Popmart and rejoicing with them during Elevation. I choose to celebrate the fact that there is a growing trend in my favorite genre of music towards quality once again and not a moment too soon. I embrace all good music, regardless of the self titled, media titled or untitled. I haven't heard the rest of Coldplay's album, but I don't want to lose out on enjoying it because I am scared or pissed off about Chris Martin and his Bono-sized ego.

As ever, the best post about this annoying subject!

If you all don't like Coldplay, power to you. If you don't like the media juggernaut from the record company to crown Coldplay a great band, fair enough. Just shut the fuck up about it will ya! Why, do you all want to turn around 6 months down the track and say "Told you so" so you can feel better about yourself as a latter day Nostradamus? If you all you Coldplay, Oasis, Greenday (insert band name here) haters want to keep your narrow U2-view of the world, don't be surprised if others who wish to take full advantage of all the great new music out there, slag you off about it.

cmb737 said:

I feel a little bit like this when I hear Edge talk about the Bomb being possibly their best work.

Flame on!

I think almost every band will say their current album is the best, no matter how much it actually blows (see Oasis and the Standing on the Shoulder of Giants album).

Bomb is their best since Achtung, though.

Musically while a bit safe I quite like coldplay...the melodies are good and simple, and some of the piano and guitar riffs are excellent...

but the man's lyrics are abysmal, I mean really. Most of it is gibberish, the rest sentimental nonsense. Bono gets accused of writing bad sixth form poetry sometimes, yet its all that Chris Martin ever does and the world bows at his feet. I mean come on.

The other fact while their new is ok, it sounds almost exactly the same as their first album...this will be their biggest album unless they radically change their sound there's no where else for them to go but down.

While it is better to have Coldplay than any of the rap/pop groups on the charts... :| I feel like Coldplay is playing the same song all the time, sorry...
Like I said, it's good they are there, but I don't think they have more than 1 album more in them if they wont change their style...

I like coldplay, but only if I'm in the right mood. Their songs sound a lot alike. I really wish CM could play some different notes on the piano. He really likes those cold "ice" notes. And Speed of Sound is just "Clocks pt 2". And the drummer plays the same beats over and over. I want to hear something else. And play some powerchords!

I don't like bashing on a band that actually has some talent and plays music, but the hype is just too much. But this happens every now and then. Remember the Verve? They were supposed to be the next big thing, Richard Ascroft (was that his name?) was on the cover of magazines and people just loved Bitter Sweet Symphony. Where are they now?

I'm glad coldplay want to be big, but I'll give them much more props when they actually try something different, even if it means they fail. At least U2 has, and IMO, still take chances.

Unfortunately, all that sonic splendor orchestrates Mr. Martin's voice and lyrics. He places his melodies near the top of his range to sound more fragile, so the tunes straddle the break between his radiant tenor voice and his falsetto. As he hops between them - in what may be Coldplay's most annoying tic - he makes a sound somewhere between a yodel and a hiccup. And the lyrics can make me wish I didn't understand English. Coldplay's countless fans seem to take comfort when Mr. Martin sings lines like, "Is there anybody out there who / Is lost and hurt and lonely too," while a strummed acoustic guitar telegraphs his aching sincerity. Me, I hear a passive-aggressive blowhard, immoderately proud as he flaunts humility. "I feel low," he announces in the chorus of "Low," belied by the peak of a crescendo that couldn't be more triumphant about it.

One of the funniest things I have ever read. I like Coldplay, but this was freakin' hilarious. The line about wishing he didn't understand English is awesome!

Look people, I didn't intend in any way to bash coldplay. Like I said, they are my second favorite. I never said that there is anything wrong with having multiple bands enjoying the moment. From what I've heard so far it's a good solid album, just like their first. A rush of blood.... is better IMO but that's just me. U2 is a big band that get a lot of attention and well deserved. They are a media giant now but they use it wisely. Coldplay is trying to play that filed too and you know what, good for them. But I brought this topic simply because I wanted to hear some constructive criticism. Im not flaming other bands. Every band has talent and it makes you better if you know how to use it and explore different sounds and see to what level it takes you to. U2 have done their re-incarnation several times and it's worked for them all the time. If Coldplay wants to excel, they must dig even deeper and see what they've got. They have the talent and I know that they have potential just like U2 did 18 years ago and here we are, with album #14.

Back
Top Bottom