intro to streets , not that good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:| THe fact you call this a Mandela speech says enough.

oh shit - so sorry - total screw up on my part - i did not take the time to check my facts:doh:

i have not seen the show yet. i have listened to a few live recordings. the point i was trying to make was that the speech intro has less emotional punch then a musical transition.

Well, the speech in person is actually quite emotional. Desmond Tutu has a great way of saying things, and he's building up tension by the way he speaks. Definitely worked at the four concerts I've been to so far!

i think that streets intro is fantastic in every way but for me the zoo-tv combination (running to stand still-streets) was the best

The Zoo TV, Popmart, and Elevation Streets segues were awesome, and I think that's why we all expect a great Streets segue from now on. However, it does seem the the Streets lead-ins for Vertigo and 360 have been pretty lackluster.

i didn't even think elevation segue was as good as zoo tv and popmart. what was the lead in on joshua tree and rattle and hum tour again?

I believe streets opened most of the joshua tree shows and it moved around during Lovetown; openings some and in the middle for others.

the speech intro sucks, but hey its better than the bono speech during the veritgo tour with all the flags and no red lights. that was really bad.

but i'd love to see MLK or bad into streets...UC would be :drool:

the speech intro sucks, but hey its better than the bono speech during the veritgo tour with all the flags and no red lights. that was really bad.

Why do people keep saying there was a "Bono speech" during Streets last tour? There was no speech at the 22 shows I saw, just Bono leading the crowd in an acapella outtro to Pride and then Terry came in with the strings on the Streets intro. He didn't speak at all, just let out a huge wail and in some shows added some ad lib chanting. He didn't even do the scriptural recital he did during the Elevation tour. Why is it that people get all in knots about a speech by an African that doesn't even cut into the intro at all (Tutu's speech has no bearing on how the intro to Streets is being played, it's been that short for the last 2 tours at least.) But they didn't bat an eye when Bono spoke during the entire intro during the Elevation tour?

Maybe they were mesmerized by the red lights :lol:

I can't for the life of me understand how 20,000+ people chanting 'oh oh oh-ohs' to the outtro of Pride to bring in the intro (Vertigo tour) is in anyway a 'lacklustre lead in'. How is that any more/less effective segue than the crowd singing the "you" in all I want is you during the Elevation tour?? Chanting Pride outtro and waiting for those heavenly strings was a tour highlight for me and it never got stale. Bono's opening wail on the Vertigo tour most nights was amazing, more powerful than he's been in decades and, to top it all off, they were performing it in album key/tuning for the first time since...forever?? And people bitch about the flags? Crazy.

maybe it should back to opening? lol. hell close with streets. or don;t play it all, but snippet it in some other song. lol. oh yea, that would go over great.

Why do people keep saying there was a "Bono speech" during Streets last tour? There was no speech at the 22 shows I saw, just Bono leading the crowd in an acapella outtro to Pride and then Terry came in with the strings on the Streets intro. He didn't speak at all, just let out a huge wail and in some shows added some ad lib chanting. He didn't even do the scriptural recital he did during the Elevation tour. Why is it that people get all in knots about a speech by an African that doesn't even cut into the intro at all (Tutu's speech has no bearing on how the intro to Streets is being played, it's been that short for the last 2 tours at least.) But they didn't bat an eye when Bono spoke during the entire intro during the Elevation tour?

Maybe they were mesmerized by the red lights :lol:

I can't for the life of me understand how 20,000+ people chanting 'oh oh oh-ohs' to the outtro of Pride to bring in the intro (Vertigo tour) is in anyway a 'lacklustre lead in'. How is that any more/less effective segue than the crowd singing the "you" in all I want is you during the Elevation tour?? Chanting Pride outtro and waiting for those heavenly strings was a tour highlight for me and it never got stale. Bono's opening wail on the Vertigo tour most nights was amazing, more powerful than he's been in decades and, to top it all off, they were performing it in album key/tuning for the first time since...forever?? And people bitch about the flags? Crazy.

wow calm down...did i come off as being in knots? thought this was a forum to have an opinion. i went to like 10 vertigo tour shows and loved them, but yes....I DO like AIWIY into streets SO MUCH BETTER than pride. Why? b/c pride I never liked it live and its also boring to me, and I just didnt like the segue. sorry for having that opinion. And 1/2 the shows I went to Bono did in fact talk before streets started with the flags in the back.

dont get me wrong, i'll be at Giant Stadium going crazy to Streets when they play it, but if i had a choice, yes...i would cut the Africa speech. just a preference. im not losing sleep over it, just replying to the topic.

I'm perfectly calm. Merely stating my own opinion, which, to summarize, is that to bitch about a few flags after coming out of a moment like chanting the outtro to Pride and going into what is arguably one of their best (musically speaking) renditions of Streets in a long time...well, that's just crazy.

And Bono did not stop the show to speak before Streets (if you have audio of this, let's hear it). He spoke during the part of Pride that used to be normally reserved for Dr King's speech or other ad-libbing, and then Pride was shortened in order to allow the crowd to chant to bring in Streets.

In fact, that was the biggest 'difference', the ending of Pride. I like the 'big ending' Pride, but I appreciated the moment as a very good segue and so didn't mind it so much..

after listening to yesterday's performance, what I can't figure out is why Larry isn't even hitting the hi hat cymbals during the guitar intro.....he waits to the very end of the already abbreviated guitar intro right before the song takes off and then the drums come in right after that.....

also, is it just me...or does Edge's guitar tone seem a little off for the intro? It sounds sorta weak to me :shrug:

holy fuck. They actually changed the intro back to how it should be, and it sounds fucking brilliant.

Also, notice the end, Bono sings that beautiful outro melody :love:

anyway...streets is back...I guess the Tutu speech was causing the problem?

I haven't looked up youtube clips of streets since they changed the Tutu speech, but damn, this just made the setlist a LOT better for me. Way to go U2...I can't believe they actually changed the intro back. I just never thought they'd actually do it!

YouTube - U2 London 2009-08-15 Where The Streets Have No Name

Streets as it appears in Rattle and Hum is fabulous - with the full length intro. As someone else said earlier, the intro should be long, and should be savoured. Another one I really like is the final Dublin Lovetown show (where, again, Streets opened the show) - Auld Lang Syne segues into some gorgeous chiming Edge harmonics, before the main riff starts. Then, Larry's drums kick in...wow. He batters the crap out of the drums, and the sound is epic, like his kit is toppling down stairs.

Streets at its best is - in my opinion - the most thrilling, transcendent live song that there is. It's just a shame that the band themselves don't play the full length intro any more. The Vertigo version lacked the traditional red background, and had Bono's (heartfelt but still distracting) Make Poverty History speech. I don't mind the Desmond Tutu speech at all, I thought he was very passionate, and it certainly didn't take away from the song itself. The truncated intro should be allowed to breathe though, and then the song can really take flight.

Streets at its best is - in my opinion - the most thrilling, transcendent live song that there is. It's just a shame that the band themselves don't play the full length intro any more. The Vertigo version lacked the traditional red background, and had Bono's (heartfelt but still distracting) Make Poverty History speech. I don't mind the Desmond Tutu speech at all, I thought he was very passionate, and it certainly didn't take away from the song itself. The truncated intro should be allowed to breathe though, and then the song can really take flight.

Did you not read my post? The extended intro is back, with the red, with the lights...etc. And the Tutu speech is not before Streets anymore either.

Did you not read my post? The extended intro is back, with the red, with the lights...etc. And the Tutu speech is not before Streets anymore either.

Yeah, I read your post. Can't watch YT clips at work, and (in regard to the Tutu speech) I was commenting on my own impressions. The concert I went to had the speech before Streets.

The transition from walk on to streets with bono singing you'll never walk alone is pretty good imo, and thats coming from an evertonian who cannot stand you'll never walk alone.

:heart: i get so teary eyed when i hear this song.

rob, can you explain what you mean by the outro melody?

Every so often Bono sings this melody at the end of Streets. He doesn't really sing it with as much conviction these days...I'm not sure why, but it's very prominent in this video, for example, at about the 5:20 mark when he sings "I wanna go there with you" -

YouTube - U2 - Where The Streets Have No Name (ZOO TV,Adelaide 1993)

I hope for this at the end of every performance of Streets but usually he doesn't do it...in the 8/15 Wembley performance, he sings (around 5:08 mark) "it's all I can do....I wanna go there..."- and it's that same melody he has been singing since the late 80's....

A really good example of this is the 1993 Aug. 28th ZooTV performance of this...the whole performance is great, but for me it features one of the greatest endings to Streets ever

The YNWA > Streets at Sheffield was the best I've heard in my 7 shows. Actually made me teary eyed...

On the other hand I am a Liverpool fan so...

I still think they're missing a great opportunity by not keeping the "Hallelujah" ending to Walk On and having the crowd chant that while the organ plays at the beginning of Streets.

right now the transition in my house for streets is better then the live version . lol. i love the song called "young folks" by a group called Peter, Bjorn & John. I love the song, has a very bittersweet, sad tone. (for me anyways). full of regret and wonder at the same time. it ends with a organ/keyboard outro, and also has a "whistling" refrain that carrys the song throughout. And i listened to it, and then "streets". its a great segue for me. Live, it would flow right into streets. emotionally is moves me. its better then the speech. And honestly, on vertigo tour the human rights>pride segue was great. They need to do it that way. tutu speech>pride would work.

Back
Top Bottom