Interference Random Music Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Popmartijn said:
I'm addicted to buying CDs and it always feels good when I buy one. Though there's also often that nagging feeling that I already have enough CDs.

Bah! There's no such thing as enough CDs, :wink: Though sometimes it's good to purge your collection. I plan to go through mine during the upcoming long weekend.

lazarus said:

You came to the right place, sir. I am a huge Frank Black Francis fan. And I rarely condone buying Best Ofs. I would get either Teenager of the Year (if you want the really zany, genre-bending Frank with like 20 songs) or his 2nd album with the Catholics, Pistolero (for some good ol' rock and roll with funny lyrics). If you want something more current, his recent release Bluefinger is one of the best things he's done in ages, and he just released an EP, Svn fngrs, as well that's quite good.

The guy doesn't really have a bad album, unless you listen to the assholes from Pitchfork.

I loved Bluefinger, if that's any indication of the rest of his output, I'll really be liking him. Thanks for the advice.

Saracene said:

Bah! There's no such thing as enough CDs, :wink: Though sometimes it's good to purge your collection. I plan to go through mine during the upcoming long weekend.

:no:
No purging! I mean, I can't let go of anything in my collection. Not even of the albums that, on closer listen, aren't that good at all.
:shifty:

Popmartijn said:

:no:
No purging! I mean, I can't let go of anything in my collection. Not even of the albums that, on closer listen, aren't that good at all.
:shifty:

Well, I myself am something of a Mother Theresa when it comes to trimming my collection, :) And sometimes letting CDs linger around does pay off - a couple of weeks ago I've randomly played "The Night" by Morphine which I bought eight years ago and didn't like when I first played it. Now I know that eight years ago I simply wouldn't have appreciated music like this.

See! That's the reason you should never, NEVER, purge. :)

(doesn't have any Morphine in his collection :reject: )

even though I prolly do have too many cd's I have been converted to purging by my gf

for me it's good to get rid of some cd's that, even though I do really think they're good, I'm sure I won't feel like playing them the next 75 years
partly so that I don't feel too guilty buying more cd's :D

I have also come to the conclusion this weekend that everyone should own Frank Zappa's Läther

Salome said:
I have also come to the conclusion this weekend that everyone should own Frank Zappa's Läther

I'm totally downloading Hot Rats here in a minute. That's a great album and I want it on a disc.

Salome said:
even though I prolly do have too many cd's I have been converted to purging by my gf

It was a handful of cds like, it was hardly a massive clearout. :lol:

I've been listening to a lot of Mr Neil Young tunes this weekend. :drool:

:lol:
I know I could get rid of more but it was liberating getting rid of the 10-15 I did get rid of

listened loads to Mr. Young myself last Friday :up:

I love going to bars with jukeboxes, which isn't even most of the time as the majority of bars in my town have house DJs playing. But the one at my pool hall of choice just got revamped and it's bloody glorious. Before there were about two Bowie songs and now there's 70+ with heaps more updates like that for loads of other bands and artists.

monkeyskin said:
I love going to bars with jukeboxes, which isn't even most of the time as the majority of bars in my town have house DJs playing. But the one at my pool hall of choice just got revamped and it's bloody glorious. Before there were about two Bowie songs and now there's 70+ with heaps more updates like that for loads of other bands and artists.

The TouchTunes jukeboxes? Those things are amazing.

I hate those things. It used to be exciting seeing which random albums a bar's jukebox has, now they have like 50,000 songs and it takes all the fun out of it.

FitzChivalry said:
I just heard "Pearl Jam" eponymous album for the first time this past weekend and the song "Come Back" :drool: :drool: :drool:

Nice. :up:

I immediately loved Come Back the first time I listened to it (has it really been two whole years since this album leaked? wow.)

Over time I found myself not listening to it nearly as much as some of the other tracks on the album.

Then, about a year ago, I put on the headphones and the song hit me like a ton of bricks. The last minute or so is pretty powerful...Eddie's emotional wailing and McCready's little slices of guitar breaking through. Beautiful song, if you find the right moment to receive it.

lazarus said:

You came to the right place, sir. I am a huge Frank Black Francis fan. And I rarely condone buying Best Ofs. I would get either Teenager of the Year (if you want the really zany, genre-bending Frank with like 20 songs) or his 2nd album with the Catholics, Pistolero (for some good ol' rock and roll with funny lyrics). If you want something more current, his recent release Bluefinger is one of the best things he's done in ages, and he just released an EP, Svn fngrs, as well that's quite good.

The guy doesn't really have a bad album, unless you listen to the assholes from Pitchfork.

I only have the Cult of Ray, and that one's excellent! :up:

Kicked in the Taco :drool:

I actually want to see Grizzly Bear as much as Radiohead on the second leg of their tour. Their performance of the fantastic new song, 'While You Wait For the Others', on Conan last night is a perfect example of why.

video

I'd kill for an mp3 of this. Beautiful.

^ The lead singer looks like a young Paul Simon and sounds like a young Bowie. :giggle:

Actually, the singer reminds me of the singer from British Sea Power (on their first album) sounding like Bowie.

The song is ok, not bad. It's not completely my cup of tea.

2 things:

1. He's not the lead singer
2. If you only think that song is "ok", what do you think is good?

u2popmofo said:
2 things:

1. He's not the lead singer
2. If you only think that song is "ok", what do you think is good?

Just re-read this now and realized I came across as an a-hole with this. I was actually trying to joke and didn't mean to be a jerk, Fitz. Hope you were not deeply hurt and/or offended. If so, I will punch myself as hard as I can in the stomach.

Good point, Laz. Who the hell do these lying SOBs think they are? I hate them now. HAAAAAAAAAAATTTTEEEE

lazarus said:
BTW, the new Portishead leaked.

It leaked some time ago, my friend. I'm going to pick it up for sure. I have their first album but do not think it's as good as many others seem to think.

Also, I'm thrilled to see a Morphine mention or two. Every once in a while I would think to myself "I need to start a Morphine thread," and then would never do it.

I have Yes and Cure For Pain. Cure For Pain is really great.

Really? Wow, that really blows.

My neighborhood old-timey tavern has a digital jukebox. A few years ago, I went in on St. Pat's day and was investigating the jukebox, when the semi-elderly owner came up and said, "Hey, you know how to use that! I can't figure it out." Then he gave me a ten dollar bill and told me to pick some Irish music. So I did.

The end.

corianderstem said:
Every once in a while I would think to myself "I need to start a Morphine thread," and then would never do it

I'm starting to wonder where you've actually been last week.

Remember, it's never too late to ask for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom