Important: If you use Boomspeed PLEASE READ!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tabby

Refugee
This really sucks!! :down: :mad: :sad:

It looks like they are shutting down all accounts that link to forums:( I just saw this and I wanted to warn everybody because they say they will not give your images back. If you have some you don't have stored somewhere else, save them. This could be coming for us all soon. :(

What's Going on at Boomspeed.com?
By admin On Aug-16-2002 06:08

And welcome back for another exciting issue of : "What In The World Is Going On At BoomSpeed?"

As William mentioned in the last news posting, BoomSpeed is starting to enforce the TOS (Terms Of Service).

The enforcement started today, August 16th.

To be as brief as possible, BoomSpeed has been very lenient and inclined to not be harsh or even strict when
it comes to the TOS (Terms Of Service). Over time, the amount of abuse in violation of our rules has just come
to be no longer acceptable. Accounts in violation have started to degrade the speed and very usability of
BoomSpeed, so we are in very simple terms, shutting down all abusing accounts. The result being, that all of
us who are going by the rules (with particular attention to our paid account members) will basically reclaim our
speed and ease of use.

We have been working on this project for some time now, as we could see the need coming.

Thanks to those of you who have had patience while BoomSpeed continues to grow at a frenzied rate.

Rest assured that we are very on top of user needs, aware of current speed issues, and we are most
certainly implementing steps to keep the service as fast and easy to use as people have come to enjoy.

We know you like BoomSpeed and like it that much more when it is as close to perfect as possible.

We LOVE BoomSpeed, and we are working very hard to keep it fun, fast, easy and even excellent!

Greg Deeter
Greg@BoomSpeed.Com

"And some day man will develop, cherish and revere a remarkable shared method of global communication,
and it shall function with complete accuracy, precision and without flaw." -unknown

By william On Aug-16-2002 11:34

As an additional note on the tech side, we have had the unfortunate responsibility of disabling and deleting accounts. As the TOS strictly specifies what is and is not acceptable, reqests from users after your account is deleted stating that you didn't know about the terms and want your images back, can not, unfortunately, be honoured. We hate to have to do this, but as the service is free, we have to start being strict on following the TOS to ensure the longevity of the company to support our paying subscribers as well as the free subscribers. Our priority has always been our paying subscribers as they support the service for the free subscribers as well. Without enforcing the TOS, we risk continous degradation of service for both paying & free accounts and can no longer ignore this.
We are sending emails to every TOS violation account with details on what is being done. We have only deleted those TOS accounts that have measurably impacted our service. The rest are given options in their email on how to return to compliance and keep their accounts. Please follow the instructions in the email, or you will risk your account being deleted.

For those paying subscribers who have stood by BoomSpeed, we thank you and have to apologize to you for letting this go on for so long. Trust me, you are not the only ones frustrated by this and we feel your pain more than you know!

The criteria we are using for free accounts are:
Any NON-HTML file referenced from a BoomSpeed account must have been referenced from an ebay site, a yahoo auction site or from an html file hosted on a BoomSpeed account.

What this means is:
1. If you create an html site on Geocities and use a BoomSpeed free account for your images, your account is in Violation.
2. If you create a chatboard and reference AV's, images, banners, bars, ANYTHING except a webpage/html file from it, your account is in Violation.
3. If you host an image on your free account and use that image ANYWHERE other than eBay, Yahoo auctions or inside an html file that is also on a BoomSpeed account, your account is in violation.

Now, when we say 'eBay' we mean ANYTHING eBay. IE eBay chat boards, eBay 'Me page', eBay Forums, anything referenced from a server owned & operated by eBay is allowed.
For Yahoo though, ONLY Yahoo auction sites are allowed, NOT Yahoo Chat, Yahoo Message Board, Yahoo anything else, ONLY Yahoo auction.

If you receive an email stating your account HAS been deleted for violating the TOS, then the files have already been deleted and cannot be recovered. We have double and triple checked log entries proving the violation and are exempting those that have a minor number of violations, such as listed in a news article or someone else linked to your image a little and stopped, so if you meet that criteria, don't worry about your account being removed.

William Devine, II
BoomSpeed.Com
--
BoomSpeed.Com Support (support@boomspeed.com)

Topic News / Announcements / BoomSpeed.Com News / Latest News - August 16th (50 hits)

I got an email saying my account would be deleted in 7 days- unless I paid for an upgraded account! Does that mean if we pay we can keep them? Did anyone else get that email? What do you think??

Please, I do hope you all are taking this seriously and considering the consequences. If your account is deleted, you will lose all the pics you do not have stored on your hard drive, and everything you have posted here with boomspeed- including your sigs and avatars- will go red x!!!

Please be prepared. My account is due to expire in 4 days, most of you must have gotten an email too. Please watch out! :grumpy:

BTW is anyone considering paying them to keep your account, and would we really get that 100MB storage for pics that would post here, or would they still complain about us using up their bandwidth? Please, I'm really concerned about this so let's discuss it.

I received that e-mail. If you pay for the membership, you're allowed to link to forums/auctions, etc... So I did. 100MB is a lot of space!

Here's part of the e-mail:

"Just by upgrading now, you can just keep using your BoomSpeed.Com account exactly like you are using it right now!"

Last edited:
Does anyone know on Boomspeed if we can create folders? That way we can upload Bono pictures to a "bono" folder, etc.?

thanks for the help!

Last edited:
oliveu2cm said:
Does anyone know on Boomspeed if we can create folders? That way we can upload Bono pictures to a "bono" folder, etc.?

thanks for the help!

I have not been able to figure that out. But I think it's possible. I'll let you know if I have any luck.

flaming june said:

I have not been able to figure that out. But I think it's possible. I'll let you know if I have any luck.

Thanks flaming june! I'm starting to think it's no doable but if you figure it out I'd love to know how! thanks!

:larry::wink:

It would be cool if we could. It would be nice to have thumbnails too so we can see what the pic is and not have to remember all of them by name :sigh:

Look out they're having another crackdown. I got shut down but what makes me mad is I had tried to upgrade and they never answered my order! :mad:

Back
Top Bottom