I'm a very bad U2 fan...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VertigoGal

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I'm actually disappointed that Bono got Time's person of the year, for two reasons.

1- Even though he means well, I don't know if he's actually accomplished anything.
2-My friend gets Time and now she's going to give me shit about Bono and his picture with the sunglasses and dead serious expression and things.

:tsk:

thoughts?

Bono was one of the organizers behind this year's Live 8 concerts in nine cities worldwide. The concerts were aimed at getting the leaders of the world's nations leaders to come to the aid of impoverished Africa. They did so at the G8 summit, agreeing to double aid to Africa to $50 billion by 2010 and cancel the debts of the poorest nations.

"Bono charmed and bullied and morally blackmailed the leaders of the world's richest countries into forgiving $40 billion in debt owed by the poorest," the magazine said.

In addition, Bono is a co-founder of the DATA (Debt, AIDS, Trade, Africa) organization, which fights poverty and HIV in the developing world. From that organization was spawned the ONE Campaign to Make Poverty History.

thats alittle more than nothing in my opinion.

He's a great person with a wonderful vision for this world...I think he deserves this:up:

and too your friend...:madwife:

I'm suprised that you aren't happy about Time's choice....but whatever makes you happy is fine with me.

I'm more suprised about the choice really....I expected J.K. Rowling to be on the cover really cause of that online poll that Time did.....and dare I say this....Mother Nature.

Bono was one of the organizers behind this year's Live 8 concerts...In addition, Bono is a co-founder of the DATA (Debt, AIDS, Trade, Africa) organization

i guess one could ask, what about the others who were behind these great things? don't they also deserve the recognition?

I'm aware he founded those organizations, but I don't know what they've really accomplished...I really don't think awareness is the problem in the first place. Also I'm skeptical of reports that Bono actually convinced the US gov't to contribute 40 BILLION more. It seems like a PR scheme which Bono is, at best, oblivious to or, at worst, complicit in. And I also doubt Live8 changed the outcome of the G8 summit in any way.

but maybe I'm cynical

:wink:

VertigoGal said:
I'm aware he founded those organizations, but I don't know what they've really accomplished...I really don't think awareness is the problem in the first place. Also I'm skeptical of reports that Bono actually convinced the US gov't to contribute 40 BILLION more. It seems like a PR scheme which Bono is, at best, oblivious to or, at worst, complicit in. And I also doubt Live8 changed the outcome of the G8 summit in any way.

but maybe I'm cynical

you are:madwife:

Who knows for sure anyway right. But I like to believe in him, and I do believe he is trying to do the right thing, I have faith in him. He seem so deterimined and caring and when you met him he is so humble and shy...I just believe him and think he's a good person:heart: I could be a giant sucker:wink: but I believe he is a decent human with a huge heart that wants to make the world better...I have to support that:up:

and what i meant was, there are others who worked just as hard at organizing and founding these things. why does bono alone receive the credit? i was just throwing the thought out there for discussion.

other than that, i am proud of him, whether i feel he deserves it or not. i have always been proud of being a fan of a band that has done so much.

Has he accomplished something? Absolutely, without question.

Should others be recognized? Probably. Do they want to be? Who knows.

Well, like I said in my FYM post, for every choice there is always another great choice. I am personally a little annoyed that Vaclav Havel, my favorite statesman, hasn't won the Nobel Peace Prize. This is not to say that the people who have won the Prize in the past haven't deserved it. Bono and Bill and Melinda Gates have accomplished a great deal, in my book. Debt relief and vaccines and other things are tangible accomplishments that they can and should be proud of.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I think he gets recognized because he's the most visible out of all the people working for the cause. At least he's the one with the biggest mouth. :wink:

That said, I think it's great he got the honor and I am proud of him and the rest of the band for working so hard for great causes. :up:

Yea....that's what I'm thinking too....he's is the one who is out there trying to get people to understand about something that is tragic and soo misunderstood.

Yea....I can understand why some people think he's just trying to do this just because he's famous and can do whatever he wants....but I think that he's doing this for the good of humanity and he wants to see that the people of Africa getting the same treatment as let's say America or Europe.

VertigoGal said:

2-My friend gets Time and now she's going to give me shit about Bono and his picture with the sunglasses and dead serious expression and things.

thoughts?
I encounter the similar problem with a friend of mine.Nothing new.............There will always be suspicious and sceptical people............She considers my opinion subjective knowing that I'm a big fan.Polemics could easily turn into a fight,but we are still friends.............I like to hear different opinions...........that's ok ,I'm used to it.

VertigoGal said:
I'm actually disappointed that Bono got Time's person of the year, for two reasons.

1- Even though he means well, I don't know if he's actually accomplished anything.

thoughts?

so, what's with #2?

You're friends giving you shit about Bono?
sounds like she's the bad U2 fan.... maybe she needs to become
"enlightened".

:macdevil: :lol:

VertigoGal said:

but maybe I'm cynical

Is it that you don't know what Bono's accomplished because you really don't know or that you doubt he's accomplished anything? Sometimes it depends on your actual exposure to things to know the degree to which you are aware of Bono's immense influence. Bono workes his ass off when he doesn't have to, and it's not a PR stunt. This man has cared for over 20 years and does use his celebrity currency for a good thing (saving people's lives) versus say Jennifer Aniston who doesn't stand for anything other than maybe Pantene.

While I have doubts about Live8 and how great it was (I think even Geldof has finally admitted it was a massive failure) that doesn't mean all of Bono's pavement pounding hasn't had an influence. All the meetings Bono has taken in Washington, at the World Bank and the research he has done in Africa means alot. He alone is responsible for the high visibility of the ONE Campaign, not Jamie Foxx or Brad Pitt.

To say that billions of dollars in debt relief and/or African aid is perhaps not attributable to Bono is strange. If the man hadn't made a stink, the governments around the world would still not be addressing the African AIDS problem on the table. Because if someone with a really big mouth doesn't make a stink, then how do you know you have to shut them up? It's like the tree falling in the forest thing.

Awareness is a HUGE problem. People don't think about Africa; because at an intrinsic level, I don't think people think about people living out in the fields or in mud huts dying of AIDS as a problem, and that is unfortunate. Bono brought that to the forefront because of his big mouth.

Granted, I'm not a sheep, but I have to give it to Bono. The dude is amazing. Beyond amazing, and there is a reason he was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, considered TIME's Person of the Year and why millions of people fall at his feet.

As amazing as Bono is, all of the activism stuff he does is his side job. He is a rockstar first, and when he has time off from that is when he helps out. And thats great, most rockstars don't do anything productive in their time off, but you have to think there are people who's full time job is helping people out. People who spend all of their time working for their cause. The same can be said about Bill Gates. He is the CEO of Microsoft first, activist second.

But the people who do spend all of their time helping out aren't famous, so they don't get recognized.

Chizip said:
As amazing as Bono is, all of the activism stuff he does is his side job. He is a rockstar first, and when he has time off from that is when he helps out. And thats great, most rockstars don't do anything productive in their time off, but you have to think there are people who's full time job is helping people out. People who spend all of their time working for their cause. The same can be said about Bill Gates. He is the CEO of Microsoft first, activist second.

But the people who do spend all of their time helping out aren't famous, so they don't get recognized.

Spot on, mate. :up:

Give that man a cigar.

TO continue with what you're saying Chizzer, I do think that TIME giving the Person of the Year to celebrities is lame. Bono is great, and he has done alot for many, many people who are in great need, but surely there are other non-famous people who are more deserving.

HelloAngel said:

Is it that you don't know what Bono's accomplished because you really don't know or that you doubt he's accomplished anything? Sometimes it depends on your actual exposure to things to know the degree to which you are aware of Bono's immense influence. Bono workes his ass off when he doesn't have to, and it's not a PR stunt. This man has cared for over 20 years and does use his celebrity currency for a good thing (saving people's lives) versus say Jennifer Aniston who doesn't stand for anything other than maybe Pantene.

While I have doubts about Live8 and how great it was (I think even Geldof has finally admitted it was a massive failure) that doesn't mean all of Bono's pavement pounding hasn't had an influence. All the meetings Bono has taken in Washington, at the World Bank and the research he has done in Africa means alot. He alone is responsible for the high visibility of the ONE Campaign, not Jamie Foxx or Brad Pitt.

To say that billions of dollars in debt relief and/or African aid is perhaps not attributable to Bono is strange. If the man hadn't made a stink, the governments around the world would still not be addressing the African AIDS problem on the table. Because if someone with a really big mouth doesn't make a stink, then how do you know you have to shut them up? It's like the tree falling in the forest thing.

Awareness is a HUGE problem. People don't think about Africa; because at an intrinsic level, I don't think people think about people living out in the fields or in mud huts dying of AIDS as a problem, and that is unfortunate. Bono brought that to the forefront because of his big mouth.

Granted, I'm not a sheep, but I have to give it to Bono. The dude is amazing. Beyond amazing, and there is a reason he was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, considered TIME's Person of the Year and why millions of people fall at his feet.

Maybe you're right...I could be underestimating the pressure he's put on leaders as far as debt relief. I don't know whether that aid package was already planned. I just can't see the gov't parting with 40bil solely due to a rockstar.

When I say awareness, I mean that most people are aware that most Africans live in abject poverty with AIDS, malaria, etc. It's not that they don't know, it's just that people don't particularly care sometimes. And I know that sounds horrible, but what I mean is that it's not something people think about daily. Come election time, it's not anywhere near the top when it comes to priorities. You may join the One campaign (not a hard thing to do) or watch Bono on some CNN special, but chances are you forget about it the next day. I don't know if that's particularly changed, although he has at least put it in the spotlight and you have to give him credit for that, it's something at least.

Anyway, people that spend their whole time doing this are obviously much more of a "hero" and Bono's said that quite a bit...but I guess you wouldn't expect a non-famous person to get "person of the year." It seems like a title given to someone who's been in the spotlight a lot or something.

VertigoGal said:

Maybe you're right...I could be underestimating the pressure he's put on leaders as far as debt relief. I don't know whether that aid package was already planned. I just can't see the gov't parting with 40bil solely due to a rockstar.

Not necessarily because he's a rock star. Because of the ruckus he caused and the people he inspired about the cause in all those meetings in Washington (i.e. Jesse Helms and the like). White, conservative senators don't give a flip about a rock star. They like Toby Keith or someone else less envelope-pushing. They care that they don't look like uncaring jerks who let AIDS-riddled Africans die.

I think the aid package wouldn't have been planned had someone not turned up the heat. Because if something's not in the news as a hot button issue with mass awareness, why put a package in place, you know? Had Katrina not happened, people wouldn't be talking about fortifying levees today, because it wouldn't been in the news as a hot button issue. But, this is probably a chicken or the egg issue we got here, and you're right, it's really hard to know either way. :)

Just because you see certain headlines praising Bono, there is so much more behind the scenes that he's doing. I absolutely praise Bono for everything that he's trying or has accomplished. It's alot of hard work trying to get world leaders to sit with you and talk to you, campaigning for the One program, etc. Just my 2 cents. :shrug:

I'm glad you started this thread, VertigoGal.

I was kind of hoping Bono wouldn't get Time Person of the Year, just like I was kind of hoping he wouldn't get the Nobel Peace Prize. It's not that I don't admire what he's doing - I really do. I just feel like there's tons of other people behind the scenes who are working hard on the same issues Bono and the Gates' are, and at far greater personal/financial sacrifice, who don't get any recognition. I think it's a sad reflection on our society that you have to be a celebrity/multimillionaire to get honored for the good that you do.

I'm also dreading the inevitable backlash. It's not Bono's fault people keep heaping all these humanitarian honors on him, but it just gives more fuel to the haters who say he's only into it because he has a huge ego and wants attention. :rolleyes:

Chizip said:

That's our culture, they're not going to recognize Nurse X in Iraq or Indonesia. The way the media runs things.........if you're not in the media, forget it. I will agree, this is unfortunate.

I think we are missing something here; He is the only one who has come to help these dying nations. Even though it is his side job and he is the first to admit it, He had done more than anyone. He is highly intelligent, well spoken when he wants to be and simply knows his stuff. Leaders of other nations wouldnot take the time to meet with him if he didn't have a plan or an idea on how to correct the issues. Plus as a christian who quotes scripture all the time, he feels it is his mission. He deserves it more than say a childrens book author no matter how good the book is...:eyebrow:

Bono's shades said:

I'm also dreading the inevitable backlash. It's not Bono's fault people keep heaping all these humanitarian honors on him, but it just gives more fuel to the haters who say he's only into it because he has a huge ego and wants attention. :rolleyes:

yeah, that too. :wink:

tre, that really hurt. really. :| :| :| :| :|

:|

you thought that was gonna be a wink at the bottom, didnt ya tre! ha :madspit:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom