I really dislike All Because Of You

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thanksandy

Acrobat
I really don't like Bonbo's vocal parts on this song. I am not criticising the power or strength of his voice, jsut the style of singing, the way he sings the chorus parts make me cringe each time. I played it to some of my friends who like U2 and they agree.

Musically it's sounds good and the end of the song is good, sounds like something from Rattle and Hum era, but I really don't understand why they keep playing this song live and why people have suggested this could be a single, no way!

Possible singles would be Miracle Drug, SYCMIOYN, OFTS, COBL and possibly Yahweh.

Another song nobody else has mentioned is One Step Closer, i think this is superb. It has that Joshua Tree sound to it and with the calm vocals, reminiscent of The First Time, it's become one of my favourites and would be interestign live.

Agreed on all points. I don't think it should be a single too. And One Step Closer is a much stronger song.

Cheers,

J

Idont think All Because of You is awful, but as a single and being played live I would probably pick any of the other songs on the album over this one.

I dont know who's deciding that this should be the next single - they played it on Virgin radio the other day and the DJ said that it probably will be. :huh:

ABOY is one of the best song off HTDAAB and every friend of mine who herad it in my car likes the song (even those who don't like U2 at all)...what's wrong with it? it's simple, direct and raw: a perfect single.

ah, i don't understand all this love for AYGWF: to me it's definitely b-side material, good only for die-hard fans (well actually the initial riff is promising but then the rest of the song is too flat)

'All Because of You" is one of the best songs on the album, a classic rock song that has Edge honoring some of the great guitarists before him. Throughout the whole song, you can hear Pete Townsend influences, this is where Bono refers to the new album as their very own "Who's Next".

For the younger fans out there, take the time to listen through that album by The Who.... "Who's Next", I think you will begin to understand this song a lot better (and hopefully like it a lot more).

Regards to all U2 fans....

- Solaris

This song kicks ass live. I don't care if it will be a single. I wanna hear new LOUD U2 songs when I'll watch them next year, and this is one song I'm looking forward to! Great lyrics BTW!

Not a fan of it myself, but I don't hate it. I just have to be in the right mood to listen to it.
However, judging from last nite's performance, it sounds very good performed live.

Heard ABOY last night on my local rock station (they were doing a sneak preview since the album's been leaked! :applaud: ) & have to say, with one exception, I LOVE IT!! And truth is, the one exception will probably grow on me the more I hear the song.

At first listen, I don't particularly like the vocal in the chorus where he sings "aaa -aalllll because of you" - something about the way the word "all" is stretched out. Doesn't seem to flow really well or something. But knowing me, after I've played the album several times, I'll probably grow to like everything about it - just as I've already done with Vertigo!

Have to say I also got to hear AMAAW last night - it's a sheer f*ckin' genius, chills up and down the spine, instant classic!! I am sooo ready to hear this live in the spring/summer!
:up: :up: :up: :up:

Last edited:
Well, you know what? Maybe I don't like you either! I mean, I don't know what the hell I ever did to you. I've been nice and caring and understanding and you have the gall, the GALL to come on here and say you don’t like…All Because Of You…oh…never mind…I thought it was a personal attack against me…you mean the song…OK….well…I take back what I said…I like you…you’re nice….

Yea, I am really hoping it is NOT a single. A little too safe, predictable, repetitive. SYCMIOYO, MD, COBL, OOTS, AMAW, and even LAPOE would be much better choices. :cool:

i don't hate it, but it sounds just like 1000 other rock songs. same old beat and sound. i don't care for the singing much either. it seems like bono is having a hard time matching the words to the beat. the lyrics are just so- so. i have friends that love it. being older then some of them may have ruined it for me because over the years i've just heard to much just like it. i don't think u2 really needs to go back to the garage to capture vitality. i have two brothers that are both drummers and they can't get enough of the song. isn't this the one larry really likes?

Last edited:
solaris said:
... a classic rock song that has Edge honoring some of the great guitarists before him. Throughout the whole song, you can hear Pete Townsend influences, this is where Bono refers to the new album as their very own "Who's Next".

For the younger fans out there, take the time to listen through that album by The Who.... "Who's Next", I think you will begin to understand this song a lot better (and hopefully like it a lot more).

- Solaris

Good summation of the song, and also why i think its the weakest on the album. u2 trying to be the who. I'm a u2 fan who likes when u2 sounds like u2. Certainly don't think its an age thing, i have several who albums but still don't really like U2 trying to that.

I do think it is a decent song, but is my least favorite from the album. last night's live perfromance sounded much better than the album version to me. I just hope it isn't played every night on the tour (although it probably will be).

At first I didn't like the melody (I think that was the word the first poster was thinking of). However, upon a few listenings, not only does the song roar, but it flows. It'd be a great single and is one of my favorite tracks from the album. :yes:

I love this song now that I've heard the studio version. That bridge/solo is just fun. The lyrics are also fun but still have depth.

It should be the 3rd single.

some people complain that the album doesn't rock, but this song is pure rock .....i think it's great. very underrated.

everyone wanted a "rocking" album, and now they get an album that is far from "rocking," yet they hate the most "rocking" song on the album... :shrug: i don't get it.

i love all because of you... it's my favorite song on the album... the live version they did on the BBC is great. it's catchy... it's fast... it's got great guitars... had a nice roger daltrey like primortal scream in it... it would make a GREAT single.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
everyone wanted a "rocking" album, and now they get an album that is far from "rocking," yet they hate the most "rocking" song on the album... :shrug: i don't get it.

i love all because of you... it's my favorite song on the album... the live version they did on the BBC is great. it's catchy... it's fast... it's got great guitars... had a nice roger daltrey like primortal scream in it... it would make a GREAT single.

I agree 100%

Headache in a Suitcase said:

You are right about that. It is so "Who" and I always thought U2 are WAY better than the Who. After hearing it live last night, I must say it is rocking out big time... For me, I just think as a single, it won't be received by the masses as well. It just doesn't have the depth that MD, OOTS, COBL have. I have previewed the album for several non U2 fans and none of them really dug it...and two of them really liked AYGWF much better.

...listening to it right now...Damn, that live version is killa, though...:dance: :dance: :dance:

I semi-liked this song when I heard the original 30-second leak. The Apple performance made it 75% like. Then, when I heard the album version with Bono on high and low voice, the coin dropped and I was hooked.

The live version from Radio 1 just solidified its staying power and I believe it will be played every night during the tour. I really like how Bono purposely stutters during I'm not b-b-b-broke, but you can see the cracks as well as his waaaahhhhhh right before The Edge takes off on the solo.

best song on the album i think. I think when bono sings the bridge "I'm alive, I've been born, just arrived, im at the door, the place...." is one of his best moments ever. Big statement, but I think the way he screams that is just fuckin rock n roll at its best

sure ABOY is derivative of some older sounds (the who) but it is like nothing u2 has done before. a lot of the album has sounds we have heard from this band before, but it has been a while since they have simply just let it rock like they do on this song.
i love it.
it's gonna be a killer live on the tour.
and yes it will be a single for sure.
(that's what edge's cousin's cousin told me).

I didn't like it at all at first, but now I actually look forward to it when I listen to the album. There are some great moments in it.

The chorus annoys me, also, but a lot less than it used to.

It sounds like pre-Boy U2 (if you hear some of their old, old demos) brought to the 2004 maturity of the band.

I now give it 8/10.

Okay, here's the deal...I'm just gonna' sum up this song with a few points and show everybody how it is:

1) "All Because of You" is a nice, catchy, well-written (musically) song which would probably work VERY well as a simple, stupid (i.e., "Elevation") single. The song has a way of sneaking its way into your head and is instantly hummable; even so, the vocals are delivered quickly enough that it requires a few listens, and this bargain-basement recipe of nine parts fun, one part brain is surefire material for an at least reasonably successful single. Love it or hate it, this is true.

2) Bono's vocals are, indeed, ghastly. The freakish amalgamation of his two registers is disturbing and somewhat inhuman...this sort of shit worked a LOT better on "Even Better Than The Real Thing," you know?

3) His voice sounds, perhaps, worse than ever on that "AAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL" that other posters have addressed--silly, stupid, overblown, and...just ugly...! Nasty...

4) Again much like "Elevation," the lyrics here are just fuckin' terrible. Also like "Elevation," though, the lyrics that make you nauseous are oftentimes surrounded by enough moments of prowess to at least convince that that TRYING to forget the bad stuff might be worth your while. "An intellectual tor-TOISE," you say? Yeah, well I say you're losing your touch, Bono. "I saw you in the curve of the moon," you say? Well...that's not too shabby, now is it? Pretty cool, actually....very cool, maybe. Not bad at all. But that tortoise shit....fuck that, man. It's gotta' go.

5) The song, as MANY have articulate, does sound pretty damn good live. Bono's vocals aren't so over-produced (nor is the rest of the song, for a change) and it just sounds....alive. Not "live," but "Alive." It doesn't sound so manufactured. Then again, though, it SHOULD sound good live--the conclusion of the sound (the guitar freak-out, etc.) was already played live for an entire tour. The tour was PopMart....they used to call the song, "Last Night On Earth."

So there it is. Do I like the song? Yes. Do I love it? God, no. Is it fun? Yes. Would it make a good single? Yes, I think so; not a blockbuster, but certainly a regular spinner. And does it make me sick and elated at the same time? Like most of U2's newer music, yes it does. Rock on, all.

at least in the states, rock songs with depth and layers don't crack the top 40 unless they're in GAP commercials... rock songs that are catchy and have a memorable hook crack the top 40... all because of you would be a great single. remember... being a great single doesn't neccesarily mean its the best song on the CD. just means its the most "radio friendly"

i think it's the perfect compliment to Vertigo, and has excellent placement on the album, separating the big anthemic ballads like SYCMIOYO, COBL, and OOTS.

give a listen to the bbc radio performance from last night... it's growing on me. better live, but then, almost all of their songs are.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom