Handicapped seating??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LaceyM.

The Fly
I was just curious. I tried to purchase handicapped seating for my son who has CP and needs his wheelchair. I was unable to, did manage to get a couple of regular seats however I won't be able to take my son. Did anyone else purchase handicapped seats? I even called the venue and got the run around on whether or not they had even been offered. I was a bit dismayed, I mean you would think that disabled people would be able to attend?!?:(

i don't know what to say, except keep making calls and trying to figure out whats up.. if they don't offer a handicap area thats pretty bullshit..

I know that some venues keep a registry for those who need handicap seats and you have to be on this to receive tickets.

My dad was on this list at the meadowlands back in the days of the ZOO tour and that was how I saw that show...

I think the Americans With Disabilities act requires that all venues offer accessible seating.

There should be an option on the search page for whatever show you are trying to attend. You fill the request out and a ticketmaster representitive will email you back with any available tickets they have in those sections (if they have any left)

You should contact ticketmaster.

Check this story out.

I was at a ticketmaster outlet while my girlfriend had to use the phone. So for the heck of it I asked if they had any U2 tickets for the Dallas show (this was on the onsell Saturday and of course I knew it was sold out). The lady I spoke with that worked at the outlet said it a lady came in around 11:00am, tickets go on sale at 10:00am, in a wheel chair to purchase handicap seating. After the tickmaster lady sold here the handicap tickets the lady in the wheel stood up, folded up the wheel chair and WALKED out. She faked her handicap to get U2 tickets!!!! I've heard of people getting fake handicap stickers to park close to locations but come on now.

Really there is no obligation of proof required to purchase handicap seating besides the person purchasing them needs to be in a wheelchair or otherwise immobilized or purchasing them for someone that is (and that person needs to be there) It is really up to the discretion of the ticket selling agent. TM leaves it up to the venue security to deal with if the person shows up and is not handicapped.

As for purchasing handicap-accessible seating, this is not available on line per obvious exploitation reasons. You will need to go to a TM outlet, and have them call the Ticketmaster OUTLETS Support Center to get their terminal enabled to pull up this type of seating. This is a special department that deals only with TM outlets and not general customers.

You won't be able to purchase them over the phone either, only at an authorized Ticketmaster location. TM customer service can find a location locally for you.

Every arena venue in the United States adheres to the Americans with Disabilites act.

Last edited:
you can purchase them online

most every concert listing has an icon that says "request accessible seating"

I believe the person in the wheelchair is allowed one guest.

Yes, people in the past have used it as a means to avoid the ticket buying hassle.

U2FP

Thanks for the info that everyone has given. I'm just going to keep calling and maybe get something resolved. I already have my tickets, I don't want to rock the boat too much though for fear they would take them away...

I dont think they can take your seats away for trying to find out if their is handicapped seatinga vailable for your son! That would be majorly unethical....

editorinchief said:
you can purchase them online

most every concert listing has an icon that says "request accessible seating"

Technically you don't purchase the tix online, but you give them contact information and circumstances, and a TM rep calls you back.

Semantics, but still a starting point! :wink:

Good Luck!

Techincally you do purchase them online because you dont have to go anywhere or call anyone. If I can purchase tickets without every leaving my computer that, to me, constitutes "buying online"

It has also been this way for years. I bought tickets for a friend in a wheelchair this way for a Pearl Jam show in 01'.

I know it kills you to be wrong about having to go to an outlet and and having to be in a wheelchair but you were wrong.

What you said was incorrect-get over it.

Holds tounge. Not worth it. Leaving for San Diego in a few hours.

The quality of this message board has severely dropped as of late. I was posting a policy, (how it is adhered to varies) and every venue has a different agreement with ticketmaster about the sales of these tickets.

Last edited:
bcrt2000 said:
i don't know what to say, except keep making calls and trying to figure out whats up.. if they don't offer a handicap area thats pretty bullshit..

Hi!

Not to mention......highly illegal. I would call the facility hosting the event and speak with their general management.

carol
wizard2c
:|

Bonochick said:

There is no need to be rude.

There is a need to be rude. I am not the only one on this board who feels his post are nothing but arrogant and obnxious.

He makes two types of posts.

1) Matter of fact statements, like that disabled seating one in the post, that he professes, so he can seem as though he is the authority on everything. Often, like in this instance, they are wrong. Everything he posted was incorrect.

2) He discounts any thread someone tries to start (i.e. The Audio Spotlight). No matter what you say -he has a negative twist on it. Its lame and its pathetic.

If you say you like breathing then he would say breathing is awful because of air pollution. He is like Debbie Downer on SNL.
I, like many, am getting tired of it.

If you read the post again I originally corrected him to show that you could order online and he couldnt leave it alone. He had to respond and try and make some irrational argument. He couldnt accept that he was wrong. He cant except that he doesnt know everything.

The constant pessimism is petty. Sometimes he sounds like he might be fairly intelligent but then he has to let his arrogance take over.

Last edited:
editorinchief said:

There is a need to be rude. I am not the only one on this board who feels his post are nothing but arrogant and obnxious.

There is never a need to be rude. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Bonochick said:

There is never a need to be rude. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Editor,

First off, I am sorry, I wasn't even really replying to you but more in general. Here is what I was trying to explain.

Every venue has different ways that they sell their accessible seating. Some sell through Ticketmaster, some prefer to have Ticketmaster refer their customers directly to the venue box office so that they can be responsible for seating parties in appropriate sections for their needs.

I wasn't trying to dismiss your online comment, but rather point out that there is a small difference in the typical online purchasing. Instead of the normal procedure, the person buying tickets for her son would have to give the information to Ticketmaster and they will call her back.

When they call her back, and the reason that they do this, is because every event and every venue may or may not be different. Ticketmaster might be able to sell them over the phone (which is not preferable for them due to their obligations to the venue), at a outlet, or not at all and refer you to the box office at the physical venue.

I provided some information for the person so that she would know what to say to the usually uniformed ticket agent at the outlet so that she could get the seats that were needed. If she decided to go to an outlet, the people in the Outlet support department will ask her if there is anyone in the party that is visable disabled. They are under obligation with the venue to not sell accessible seating to those that do not require it.

I wasn't trying to debate your comment, but thought that it needed a bit of clarification. No offense, but I didn't think at that point the whole story had gotten out. I didn't see it as being able to buy the tickets online since there was a possibility that it might not be able to be done that way.

In the end, I personally don't care that I am wrong or if I don't know something, what I was trying to do was give the knowledge that I do know. Perhaps your experiences have been different, but that is the policy that TM has. Again, like I said in the first post...how enforced it is is entirely up to the person on the other end of the counter, phone, glass.

I take your point about the rest, will make an effort to be more clear in my posts. I do disagree with your viewpoint. You can be rude all you want, I am fully willing and capable to defend myself here and anywhere. I am sorry again, if you misinterpreted my comments to you as I was very surprised to see you react that way.

Last edited:
I think this argument is getting pointles and it did a long time ago.

The thing is that you still persist that is the policy when it clearly is not the case. If it was Ticketmaster's policy only to sell at outlets then why is EVERY SINGLE EVENT that they sell online have that icon and option. Some select arenas do not operate that way but that is up to that arena. As far as ticketmaster is concerned the less actual contact with customers the better. Any venue willing to sell accessible seating online is allowed to-most do.

The only enforcer of abuse of these tickets is the venue staff. When an accessible seat or companion seat is scanned it makes a different noise than a standard ticket to alert the ticket taker. It is then in their hands and the box office manager whether to admit the patron, remove them or issue them different seats.

Im not going to fight with you about it anymore. I just think you should lighten up. You dont always have to have the last word. I think you should cut people a break when you berate their threads and, ultimately, their ideas.

I am truly sorry I started all this. I was merely trying to determine if anyone else had trouble getting accessible seating. I am still in discussions with the venue and since I already have tickets, albeit not accessible ones, they are working with me. I believe that you are both right, the tickets could be purchased online, however I think they are extremely limited. Sometimes a person may have better luck going to the venue or directly to a ticketmaster location. Again, sorry for the trouble.:huh:

Lacey, it wasn't your fault darlin, best of luck getting the tix you are looking for and enjoy the show.

I am a paraplegic wheelchair user and I have not had any problems getting tickets for this tour. There were phone numbers made available that disabled fans could phone and book their tickets (in the UK). I am also going to 2 shows at MSG and did not have any problems getting tickets.

If you click the disabled icon on the Ticketmaster page for your venue then it will tell you how to go about getting tickets for your show. Maybe your venue has sold out it's wheelchair spaces and now they have the problem of trying to relocate you ?

Last edited:
I really hate to close this thread, since this is a good and informative topic. If people can just be kind to each other and discuss things in a civil manner (which seems to be happening), this thread can stay open.

Boozyuzi said:
I've seen U2 twice before my accident in 1987 and 3 times since and there's no way I would wish to be sitting in my chair inside the egg.

Absolutly. I just "saw" Interpol live and it was all GA. Sat in the front row to the left and almost got crushed by the crowed. AND all I was able to see was the guitar player!
Still enjoyed it though!

U2FanPeter said:
Are Handicap wheelchairs allowed into GA? Are they allowed to "Enter The Egg"?

U2FP

P.S. Is "Enter The Egg" the name of a Wings album?

It was called "Back to the Egg"

I am disabled but not in a chair. In 2001 I had GA'S for one show and I was using a walker. Didn't try for inside but had no problem outside. Since then, I am "Official" as far as the Government is concerned. So I was able to obtain "Limited Mobility" seats for show at MSG and NJ. My only worry is the shows I am attending in Amsterdam. I have GA's for both. I am trying to get in touch with the Arena to see if I can get "Disabled" seating.

Back
Top Bottom