GRRR!! Look what Eric Clapton said about U2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bring on the high horse posts!

highhorse.gif

:lol:

Clapton is alright... he did attempt to branch out with Retail Therapy, so the whole Clapton is stuck in a specific mode of music isn't exactly true. I don't think U2 would necessarily disagree with Clapton's assessments considering their whole "biggest band in the world" comments.

Last edited:
I'm not saying Clapton didn't make those comments or that he doesn't have a negative/ positive opinion of U2 but is this source even reliable considering its a report on another interview and we're not even able to read the actual interview to view the context of the statements. I understand the print media are 100% reliable and don't have a sensationalistic bone but I would love to read the actual interview.

WalkOn21 said:
Well he's right at one point: the public does seem to think their fame's more important than their music. Didn't Bono do a speech at the Democratic Convention while Kerry was running for president? And did he sing anything? No he didn't, he was just there "to be the famous person" backing Kerry.

You conveniently forget that Bono, while liberal in many of his views, remains non-partisan. You conveniently forget that he also appeared at the Republican National Convention. So much for that bogus argument, eh?

Now back to the real topic:

While I find Clapton's statements insulting and downright wrong, he is making more of a dig at Coldplay than at U2. Coldplay does sound and look too much like they are trying to copy U2. Clapton himself sounds like a bitter man that time has passed by that is unwilling to deal with reality.

U2 has shown throughout its career that it openly embraces the roots of rock n roll. The proof is right there in the music itself. Rattle and Hum is proof enough as far as Iam concerned. The fact that U2 strives to stretch the boundaries of their music is a GOOD thing. Maybe if Eric Clpaton had the same attitude, his music wouldn't sound so damn stale and old today.

And guess who the musical conscious of the world is right now? U2, of course. They have shown time and again that they care about people in dire straits. They back up their words with action and millions have benefitted from their efforts. I'd imagine that's millions more than Clapton ever helped.

Utoo said:
by the way, last week Clapton said: "Porcupine Tree suck!"

:lmao:

Clapton just phoned me and said "you know that Utoo guy? I really hate how he thinks he's funny. What a fool! He's worse than Coldplay." :wink:

Clapton is a legend. U2 is a legend. So they're both legendary. And they also both suck now. So what I'm trying to say is...they should tour together.

Flying FuManchu said:
I'm not saying Clapton didn't make those comments or that he doesn't have a negative/ positive opinion of U2 but is this source even reliable considering its a report on another interview and we're not even able to read the actual interview to view the context of the statements. I understand the print media are 100% reliable and don't have a sensationalistic bone but I would love to read the actual interview.

I'd like to see the full article also.. :up:

and this isn't the first time he's singled out U2. But when he's wrong, he's just wrong.
Make's him no less of an incredible guitarist. But he keeps throwing out these dig's at U2 and it looks to me like he thinks his opinion should be fact just because of who he is/used to be.

This reeks of professional jealousy.

Lots of people have made the comments about Coldplay being like U2. The only people insulted by this are those who don't like Coldplay. It is ironic, seeing that they do draw from the same palette (sp?). I can see maybe not liking it as much, but to gush over U2 on one hand and call Coldplay crap with the other doesn't make much sense. It shows a lack of awareness IMO.

They are both playing to the same audience which is precisely what Clapton is talking about. The award show watching pop crowd. Clapton is lamenting the rock an roll which was a rebellion to such events. Is he old and out of touch? Yes, and his comments do seem to reflect this 'not being able to tell Bono and Martin apart' but at the heart of what he says, I see nothing wrong with it. Not that I really agree, I just see his point.

The 'U2' the world knows now is much closer to Coldplay than some people want to let on. They covet awards and accolades outside of the music, U2 are asking for this everytime Bono makes a new hyperbolic proclomation from the old crowd. Even if they are out of touch, they are still rooted in a sense of rebellion. That and there isn't much blues in the music, more pop than blues. If you can't read a criticism of U2 and cast it off then you just need to get real or grow up or both.

Eric Clapton thinks he's right and people should agree with him because he was around during the 60's making music.

I don't give a shit what Eric Clapton thinks.

Clapton is a guitar master...a musician in every sense of the word, but, and I believe this is a big but as far as what he needs to think about, it sounds like he's a bit out of date with where music has taken us. Sorry, Eric, but U2 are very professional, motivated, talented musicians as well, and that statement was not accurate nor cool.

Do we really need a thread of outrage every time somebody says something negative about U2? Honestly, who cares?

namkcuR said:
Do we really need a thread of outrage every time somebody says something negative about U2?

Seems that way. :yawn:

U2DMfan said:
If you can't read a criticism of U2 and cast it off then you just need to get real or grow up or both.

This should be posted at the top of every forum. For god's sake, people, this isn't like Henry Rollins screaming "OMG U2 SUX!" over the radio. It's simply a respectable musician stating his personal view on the current music scene. If you don't agree with it, there's no need to blast the guy by claiming that he's "just jealous" and all sorts of other silly things. Why the hell would Eric Clapton be jealous of U2 anyway? It's Eric Clapton.

And honestly, if you base your respect of artists and their music on whether or not they're kind to U2 in interviews...well, I don't know what to say to you.

Diemen said:
I don't understand why we get so worked up over what other people think of U2. A lot of people out there either don't get what U2 does or just plain don't like it. It is what it is. It doesn't mean those people are assholes. Clapton is a legend, so let's not try and call him a nobody simply because we don't like his opinion on U2. People can think and say things we don't like and still be good people.

Moving on...

NEVER!

Oh, and I like your new avatar picture. ;)

I'm not "worked up" about it. I just find it odd that legends like the late George Harrison or now, Eric Clapton, feel the need to lash out at U2 - and then compare them to some one- or two-album wonders.

Harrison compared U2 to the Spice Girls. Clapton is comparing U2 to "American Idol". Huh? What's up with that?

I would be just as annoyed if in 10 years, U2 are comparing the big established acts of the day (say Coldplay) to some young one-hit wonder artist. U2 have never insulted any artist by name. They have, at times, stated how they do not prefer certain music - and that is fine. If Clapton simply said he's not into U2's music, no problem. I have not like almost any of Clapton's solo music - I find it boring and uninspirational (while his work with Cream was :drool: ). But I won't compare him to the flavors of the year. When Clapton won his Album of the Year Grammy in 1993 (for releases in the Sept. 1991-Sept. 1992 time frame), imagine if we compared him to one of the big grunge acts of the month - not a good group, but clearly a copycat that would be gone within a year! Clapton fans would be screaming! Worse, though, is that it's Clapton himself saying these things. I know I wouldn't accept it if Bono or Edge started saying these types of comments - and I hold Clapton and Harrison to that level of scrutiny as well.

Just as Clapton complains that Bono has pushed some government heads too much (and, uh, exactly what's wrong with that? If we pushed politicians a bit more, maybe we wouldn't have as much war and irresponsible spending as we do now.), what gives Clapton the right to say that? In other words, Clapton is making a political comment by complaining about another political comment! The irony is too rich even for U2! :sexywink:

So ultimately, what annoys me are these cheap shots by legends who are not only failing to acknowledge another legend, but are also being hypocritical. If they aren't into an artist - cool. I don't see why they need to make that public, unless asked specifically, but I don't care about it. We all have our musical tastes. But this seems like Clapton's way of gaining some attention and I'm not sure of his goals here (just as I was confused about Harrison's goals in 1997). In both cases, it makes these legends look petty and envious.

Last edited:
doctorwho said:

Clapton is comparing U2 to "American Idol". Huh?

Maybe he just had a Grammy flashback.

Are the business or sometimes musical approaches of U2 and any other given pop act all that different?

No. Not since they couldn't get out the of the giant lemon.

U2 is the one trying to play ball in their yard.

When Harrison said what he said, he totally missed the irony of what U2 were doing with POPmart and all that nonsense, I think Clapton thinks the band is insincere and he's not alone.
But U2 don't care, so this will continue.

U2 are of course not insincere, they are playing ball in the wrong forum, they have a lot of image problems these days. A lot of it is misguided, I'm just saying, is it all that surprising?

U2Fanatic4ever said:

Eric Clapton hits out at Coldplay and U2
Wednesday, May 17 2006, 14:48 BST - by Fiona Edwards

Eric Clapton disapproves of bands like U2 and Coldplay as they seem
to put their fame before their music.

The 61-year-old guitar legend told The Times: "Right now, the power
of music sits with Simon Cowell and Coldplay and U2, who are really
people who just attend awards shows.

"From just listening I can't tell the difference between Coldplay and
U2. The one in Coldplay even dances like Bono."

Clapton said that he's also worried that modern bands are forgetting
where rock and roll has come from.

He said: "I think what it shows is how incredibly detached all the
current stuff is from its roots. What worries me about what's going
on now is that people don't know where it's all come from, and I
don't suppose they're that interested."

Award shows are a part of the music business, and it's not like U2 suddenly started to take note of them. I see no difference in attending and playing at the award shows - both mean you acknowledge them. If he dislikes the music scene, naming particular bands is irrelevant - he should just say so.

U2 and Coldplay do have a similar sound, yes. That's the problem of today's music - the most popular female/male singer are rip offs of their legendary predecessors from 20 years ago, as is the most popular band.

Well, rock started out what... in 1950s right? All music genres go through changes through time. :shrug:

For the record, I do not hate EC or his music.

Last edited:
Clapton can say what he wants. One mans opinion isn't gonna stop U2 and Coldplay from making music. He is one of the best musicians ever, so he has gotta have a better reason than that for saying what he did.

It's a weird one. :eyebrow:

Bono's shades said:
I think the last remnant of affection I once had for Eric Clapton went out the window.

I don't really care if people criticize U2. I don't think they are above criticism. I just hate cheap shots. I kind of wish U2 wouldn't show up at every awards show kissing everyone's ass too, but it's not like they don't do anything else in the meantime! And as nauseating as it is sometimes I'd rather have U2 kissing everyone's ass than taking cheap shots at other musicians.

Doesn't U2 also perform at these award shows.

Grammy awards--they performed.
Oscar awards-- performed
Golden Globe--okay I didn't see when "hands" won but I thought they performed there too.

It's one thing to show up at every awards show, but to perform at nearly every one, that tells me, maybe they just like performing live for an audience? Sure the awards might be nice, but for them, it's another opportunity to play live.

How many tours have U2 done?

I counted all the songs U2 have played live, off all their studio albums, out of 121 songs, only 18 have not been played live.

About 94% of their back catalogue has been played live, not to mention b-sides that have been played live, 'Party Girl' for example.

/////////////

At times, Chris Martin will kinda sound like Bono, but that, to me, tells me Clapton only seems to focus on the vocals. :shrug:

Last edited:
Eric Clapton is just jealous. He hasn't written a decent song since the 60's. He's a miserable, dour asshole who was never as good as The Edge, let alone Jimi Hendrix!
He's right when he says that Coldplay copy U2, so what? Big news!! Everybody knows that!!
He says that U2 don't know anything about musical history!!! Go listen to rattle and Hum, they turned me on to all kinds of blues and soul when I was a teenager!
U2 appreciate the music of past generations but they don't live in the past! That idiot is still making the same shite lounge lizard blues that he was churning out in the 70's.
Like George Harrison before him, he's an old has-been who's just sour that he can't write decent music anymore!!

doctorwho said:

NEVER!

Oh, and I like your new avatar picture. ;)

I'm not "worked up" about it. I just find it odd that legends like the late George Harrison or now, Eric Clapton, feel the need to lash out at U2 - and then compare them to some one- or two-album wonders.

Harrison compared U2 to the Spice Girls. Clapton is comparing U2 to "American Idol". Huh? What's up with that?

I would be just as annoyed if in 10 years, U2 are comparing the big established acts of the day (say Coldplay) to some young one-hit wonder artist. U2 have never insulted any artist by name. They have, at times, stated how they do not prefer certain music - and that is fine. If Clapton simply said he's not into U2's music, no problem. I have not like almost any of Clapton's solo music - I find it boring and uninspirational (while his work with Cream was :drool: ). But I won't compare him to the flavors of the year. When Clapton won his Album of the Year Grammy in 1993 (for releases in the Sept. 1991-Sept. 1992 time frame), imagine if we compared him to one of the big grunge acts of the month - not a good group, but clearly a copycat that would be gone within a year! Clapton fans would be screaming! Worse, though, is that it's Clapton himself saying these things. I know I wouldn't accept it if Bono or Edge started saying these types of comments - and I hold Clapton and Harrison to that level of scrutiny as well.

Just as Clapton complains that Bono has pushed some government heads too much (and, uh, exactly what's wrong with that? If we pushed politicians a bit more, maybe we wouldn't have as much war and irresponsible spending as we do now.), what gives Clapton the right to say that? In other words, Clapton is making a political comment by complaining about another political comment! The irony is too rich even for U2! :sexywink:

So ultimately, what annoys me are these cheap shots by legends who are not only failing to acknowledge another legend, but are also being hypocritical. If they aren't into an artist - cool. I don't see why they need to make that public, unless asked specifically, but I don't care about it. We all have our musical tastes. But this seems like Clapton's way of gaining some attention and I'm not sure of his goals here (just as I was confused about Harrison's goals in 1997). In both cases, it makes these legends look petty and envious.

Is there a "hitting the nail on the head" smiley?

Ever check out the bands U2 are into?, there are some legends like the Who, Led Zeppelin, but they also like the music of a lot of younger bands too.

U2 are legends, yet they still say, _____ band is something special, keep an eye on_____, ______"make me nervous."

U2 are still very much music fans, as well as being in one of the legends in rock, whereas it seems some legends think no one will ever compare to what they did.

To acknowledge those who came before you is one thing, to acknowledge those who came after you, to encourage a younger band, that's something else.

namkcuR said:
Do we really need a thread of outrage every time somebody says something negative about U2? Honestly, who cares?

Well there isn't a whole hell of a lot going on in U2land right now, so this is as good a thread as any right now. :shrug:

Besides, it allows liberal use of the :corn: smilie. And any thread that does that is worthwile in my book. :up:

:wink:

you know I posted this thread because of who made the comment . I was really surprised to hear a legend like Eric Clapton make such a cheap shot at other artists (legends in their own right, meaning U2). I like Coldplay don't get me wrong. I have seen them live 4 times so far. One thing I have to see in defense of Coldplay is that they have admitted publicly that they are influenced by people like U2. That their style is not original but whose is anyway?

I have seen numerous criticisms of U2 (like Henry Rollins for example) and frankly don't give a s***t about what they have to say about U2. Comes with the territory I guess. This one just struck me as worth posting because of who the comment came from thats all. I don't see the validity in Eric's comment at all.

As I mentioned before where was Eric Clapton when all the musicians (his fellow musicians- blues and jazz) lost their livelihoods. Why isn't he doing anything about it? Funny, The Edge hasn't forgotten where the roots of rock and roll came from did he? He jumped right in there and did something.

Axver said:

Clapton just phoned me and said "you know that Utoo guy? I really hate how he thinks he's funny. What a fool! He's worse than Coldplay." :wink:

He called here and said the same thing. :sad:

Nuts! :wink:

cypress said:

You conveniently forget that Bono, while liberal in many of his views, remains non-partisan. You conveniently forget that he also appeared at the Republican National Convention. So much for that bogus argument, eh?
Good grief, people. Does NO ONE here know anything about logic, argumenting, etc? Because that's not really a counter-argument to my post.

The fact that he also appeared at the Republican Convention only supports my statement. Republican/Democratic/partisan doesn't have anything to do with that. Hell, I might even have said "Bono was in our city hall last week giving a speech", it doesn't matter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom