Grammy Update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shopgirl144

Babyface
Just a heads up....

I just saw on Entertainment Tonight that Bono and Mary J. Blige are scheduled to sing a duet on the Grammy's.

I can't wait!

Nooooooooo! :down:

I suppose we're in for more of Blige wailing like a demented cat over the top of an already bad song.

Cross-genre duets are always happening at the Grammys. I'm relieved he's dueting with someone with actual talent. Just think of the horrible people he could have potentially been paired up with.

Bono's shades said:
Cross-genre duets are always happening at the Grammys. I'm relieved he's dueting with someone with actual talent. Just think of the horrible people he could have potentially been paired up with.

Hmm if he makes a few homophobic comments maybe Elton John will call

:scratch:

JMScoopy said:

well, ive heard this duet before and i dont like her singing. so i make the inference that i won't like the perfomance at the grammys. :madspit:

What is "this duet" mean, have they announced what song yet?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

What is "this duet" mean, have they announced what song yet?

i was talking about the one duets! what else? :banghead:

if mary j whatever her name is sang god part II, i still wouldnt like it.

well, maybe if the rest of U2 was playing along. :wink:

JMScoopy said:

It's okay, don't bang your head over it! ;)

JMScoopy said:

Dude your anger is very telling.

I guess I just never would have considered the "One" performances as a duet in the true sense of the word, that's why I asked.

Personally I loved those performances and think she has an amazing voice.

I'm not really here nor there on the Mary J version of One. It's not something I'd listen to by choice, but that doesn't mean I don't see it's merits. If they sang it like it is on the album, it would be called a duet in the media, even if in most ways it's technicaly not. Don't forget also that the 'leak' may be from the Grammy peeps themselves, and the Bono/Mary J "DUET" is a far better piece of publicity for the event, even if in the end Bono only mumbles the first line.

Anyway, my point of posting was to say that everyone I know who has heard this version, and somehow it has gotten a bit of attention, loves it. So while it may not be everyones cup of tea in here, at least it will probably go down really well with the general public, rather than U2 embarrassing themselves by playing something like Original of the Species and looking like hasbeens. :wink:

Bono's shades said:
yeah...i thikn it was two years ago they had Josh Groban and Beyonce sing Josh Groban's song. it was wierd.

I think there are more important tidbits here.

Often - but not always - a big artist performs when he/she/they are pretty much assured of winning some of the bigger awards. This isn't true at other award ceremonies, but seems a tad more customary at the Grammies.

Now, if the only mention of a "U2 performance" is this Bono/Blige duet, it strongly suggests that the rest of U2 might not be there or might not perform. Hence, I would expect no big victories (if any).

In contrast, if the remaining members of U2 are there and there is a U2 performance and THEN this Bono/Blige duet, it suggests U2 may be in for some of the bigger awards.

The thing with Blige is that her wailing just takes over the song. There's "Bono wailing", which he often does in unison with another, and then there's Blige wailing where she becomes the lead singer regardless of who else is present. She has a good voice and is talented, but I'd argue against her being a good duet partner. Hopefully this Bono/Blige duet is a Blige song or a night where Bono has hints of 1989 and can belt it out along with her.

Lila64 said:
what is Mary Blige nominated for? Perhaps that will give an indication of what will be performed :hmm:

I don't think she's up for anything..........didn't her album come out after the cutoff date?

I agree 100% with doctorwho. The previous "duet" with Mary J. Blige made my skin crawl. I am really hoping that the Grammy performance is different. This time around I'd like to be able to hear Bono.

Good analysis doctorwho. If Bono & Mary J. are to do a duet, won't Edge have to be there, at least, if not the rest of the group.
Just don't think Bono is going to carry it with his guitar & I don't see them using some stage band.

when mary j. blige jumped on stage to help sing one at MSG, she provided a much needed breath of fresh air to a song that had grown very stale over the course of the shows that i went to.

:up: can't wait to see it again... just hope it's not the band's only performance for the night... which i doubt it will be.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
when mary j. blige jumped on stage to help sing one at MSG, she provided a much needed breath of fresh air to a song that had grown very stale over the course of the shows that i went to.

That´s true. Vertigo DVD version of One is of the most unemotional-going-through-the-motions performanc I´ve ever seen U2 do. :down: "One" deserves MUCH better.

Just want to chime in, the best duet I´ve ever seen at the Grammy´s was Steve Vai playing guitar for Nelly Furtado singing "I´m Like a Bird". You can download it on any p2p program. Just beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom