Grammy Noms announced today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes but U2 will have tough competition next year in the Album of the year category from Brian Wilson who you know the grammy commitee would love to give an award to....its going to be tough...I hope they can win it next year. Only 2 artists in history have won 2 album of the year awards though.....Frank Sinatra and Bob Dylan.

bw in dc said:
Patske - hope you are right. That makes me feel a little better.

patske is right.

it is done on purpose to revive the album (sales-wise) with fresh publicity.

unfortunately, they're not gonna win this time.

Yahweh said:
Yes but U2 will have tough competition next year in the Album of the year category from Brian Wilson who you know the grammy commitee would love to give an award to....its going to be tough...I hope they can win it next year.

Brian Wilson's album was actually eligible this year, and is nominated for Best Pop Vocal Album, so it won't be in contention for album next year. He also got one Best Rock Instrumental Perf.

U2 should have a strong chance at winning if Brian Wilson is taken care of this year..thanks for the info.

Since they got robbed on ATYCLB, I hope they win Album of the year.

(Achtung Baby didn't win Album or Rock Album of the year?!?)

U2girl said:
Since they got robbed on ATYCLB, I hope they win Album of the year.

(Achtung Baby didn't win Album or Rock Album of the year?!?)

It won rock album, they just keep changing what they call the categories, but the '92 win was for Achtung Baby, not an individual song.

GRAMMY Winner U2 (Bono, Adam Clayton, Edge, Larry Mullen Jr.),artist.
Genre Rock
GRAMMY Category Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal
Year 1992 - 35th Annual GRAMMY Awards
Title of the Work Achtung Baby
Artist Performing Work U2

U2@NYC said:
Music video???!!!

That has to be a new one for U2. Did they ever win?

No. Yes.
U2 won a Grammy for a Music Video before, in 1988 for Where The Streets Have No Name. Although the name of that category was slightly different, it's basically the same as Vertigo is nominated for this year.

C ya!

Marty

I think it's cool that the band is nominated, I think that they're in for (mostly) tough competition, I think a performance would be fun....and I think that I won't bother watching the Grammys, YET AGAIN. Did you SEE some of the nominations in these categories??? That John Mayer song ("Daughters" or whatever the fuck it's called) is probably one of the 30/40 worst songs that I've ever heard from the era of contemporary recorded music. Jesus...

Let's just remind everybody that even if U2 doesn't win anything, IT DOESN'T MATTER: in 1984, Jethro Tull defeated both Metallica and AC/DC (with Back In Black) for Hard Rock Album of the Year. I personally despise Metallica, but I can tell you this right now....ANY Metallica album is a better "Hard Rock" album than any Tull album. And I'll also tell you this: Back In Black is the greatest Hard Rock album of all time.

Either way....sorry to get off topic a bit. Don't the Grammys make anyone else sick? I mean, I'm glad that U2 will be in the spotlight (even though I thought that the last album was pretty shitty, I still was WICKED PISSED when it lost to a soundtrack) and all that...but man. What a farce. One more time: JOHN MAYER??????

Oh, yeah...the "Vertigo" video is horrendous, too. Isn't it? I know that I hate it, at least--that video's nomination is a sin, especially in a year filled with some pretty fantastic videos. "Nowhere Again" (The Secret Machines), "Take Me Out" (Franz Ferdinand), that one Kanye West video (the POV one...I forget what it's called), and a HOST of others are a few million times better than "Vertigo," as far as I can tell.

Again, I don't mind U2 gettin' a few extra plugs...but I really don't think that "Vertigo" is a deserving video. I remember just laughing and laughing and laughing upon first seeing it, it was just so bad. I mean..."Elevation" was one of the worst videos ever made by ANY post-'85 production team, but at least it TRIED to do something...

I always feel validated somewhat when bands with longevity like U2 and Sting clean up at the Grammys every once in a while. The 'artists' that usually win end up disappearing like a fart in the wind, only to resurface on some tragic VH1 Where Are They Now special.

patske said:

No they never won..
All of u2's grammy's in a row..

What do you mean they never won a Video Grammy? You listed it yourself below:

GRAMMY Winner U2 (Bono, Adam Clayton, Edge, Larry Mullen Jr.),artist. Meiert Avis,video director. Ben Dossett & Michael Hamlyn,video producers.
Genre Music Video
GRAMMY Category Best Performance Music Video
Year 1988 - 31st Annual GRAMMY Awards
Title of the Work Where The Streets Have No Name
Artist Performing Work U2

I like what's going on in this category:

Best Alternative Music Album
(Vocal or Instrumental.)

* Medulla
Björk
[Elektra/Atlantic]

* Franz Ferdinand
Franz Ferdinand
[Domino Recording Co.]

* Uh Huh Her
PJ Harvey
[Island Records]

* Good News For People Who Love Bad News
Modest Mouse
[Epic Records]

* A Ghost Is Born
Wilco

I'm always happy when U2 is nominated, and happier when they win, and ecstatic when they perform.. but ... Vertigo? Worst U2 song ever (ok, let me change that before I get flamed: my least favorite). :reject: On the bright side, maybe that means they'll win. It's the Grammies, after all. :wink:

U2 didn't release the album in time for Grammy consideration this year. It will be eligible next year. I'm surprised an "industry" person didn't know this.

They really do need to change the rules though and make it simpler - if you release an album within a certain calendar year, even if it is in November or December, you should be eligible that year. If they have to move the ceremony to March or whatever to give people time to consider late-in-the-year releases and vote, so be it.

Bono's shades said:
U2 didn't release the album in time for Grammy consideration this year. It will be eligible next year. I'm surprised an "industry" person didn't know this.

:shrug: I dunno...just relaying the info....

As long as they are eligible for the next year, I'm happy.

except for the "U2" categories... I'M, GOING ALL THE WAY WITH GREEN DAY

and sometimes for Ray Charles

and I think we all should

And :heart: WILCO :heart: in the Alt category. I'd love to see them get some mainstream attention just to bring attention to them, not because I give a crap about the Grammies.

Corrections that I know of...

1) Several artist's have won multiple Best Album Grammys. I know Frank Sinatra won twice, Paul Simon has won a couple, as has Stevie Wonder. Bob Dylan only won once from "Time out of Mind"

2) Winning Best Record twice in a row has only been done by Roberta Flack (The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face and Killing Me Softly With His Song), U2 (Beautiful Day, Walk On)

U2 stands a great chance at winning the award. Green Day was honored just to get the nomination, and could possibly get the respect the should have gotten back in 1996. It will be between those two artists.

If U2 performs at the ceremony it will probably ensure they'll win. I can't imagine they'd turn down the oppurtunity to perform unless it interfers with their tour. They did it in 2001, so I can't imagine it would be a problem this time.

Bono's shades said:

Just like how ATYCLB was. "Beautiful Day" was eligible, but ATYCLB had to wait until the next year.

American Idiot is such a crappy song, if you are going to write a political song at least put some substance in it...but thats my opinion.

Yahweh said:
American Idiot is such a crappy song, if you are going to write a political song at least put some substance in it...but thats my opinion.

I don't think you can get much more substance out of a song that musically and lyrically is as forceful as that one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom