Good U2 song to cover?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My old band got back together recently. From about 2001-2009 was our initial run, but we rarely played covers, mostly originals... and never made any money!

Now we're playing again, with some gigs lined up for the new year. We decided that in the interest of getting better gigs, and actually pleasing a crowd, we should be a cover band instead. We're working up a repetoire, and I'd like to do a U2 song. But which one? It has to be at least somewhat recognizable to a bar full of average Joes. Something like Sunday Bloody Sunday won't work, I don't think we have the technical capabilities to pull off something like Streets. Any ideas?

Also, any good suggestions for any songs other than U2 are appreciated!

U2 - All I Want Is You - simple, and has the qualities of an epic bar / pub tune
Other - Spin Doctors - Two princes - great fun

Pride is easy and popular, but if I were to cover a U2 song with a band I'd probably want to play B-sides out of selfish reasons haha.

A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel... I'd give a limb to hear that song live.

If your guitarist has delay then Bad could be a good option as well. Man, I want to play U2 songs live in a band, not just by my lonesome with my guitar! Lucky.

Beautiful Day isn't that hard, Vertigo is piss easy, and recognizable. For older stuff, perhaps New Year's Day or Desire, both aren't too hard.

I think if you're already doing several recognizable songs, a smart band would throw in a few really great songs that not a lot of people have heard. I think U2's Winter has one of the best choruses they've ever written. They absolutely destroyed this gem of a song by being too cautious and timid with it, but a basic garage sound could really breathe life into it.

And of course there's always this:
U2 Glastonbury (Xiren Full Band Cover) - Music Video [HD] - YouTube

One is well known and isn't all that hard to play, if you're looking for more of a ballad.
Angel of Harlem is probably the easiest U2 song to play. 4 chords (C, F, G, Am), yet still fun to strum/sing.
Vertigo is pretty simple like GG says, and all you need is some overdrive and a bit of delay.
Breathe isn't that hard if you don't mind 6/8, but it's not really known.
Out of Control is also a good one.
Mysterious Ways is fun if you could nail the effects, which is tricky.
Lady With the Spinning Head has energy, and is possible to cover well.

My personal favorite U2 song to play is The Fly, because it's not too hard, and it just fucking rocks.

:up: IWF never fails. The rest mentioned in this thread (apart from Streets and SBS) get mixed reactions. Some will get no reaction period in a bar full of average joes as the OP put it. IWF is unmistakable and is the quintessential U2 song for a bar crowd.

One is the U2 song that gets covered by most of the local bands out here in jersey. Especially acoustic sets. 9 times out of 10 when you request a cover act to play U2, one is what's played.

I hear that American Airlines will soon be releasing "One Airline" to commemorate their merger with US Airways.

I cant speak for cover, but I once sang 'beautiful day' at karaoke and it was a hit with that crowd. In fact this girl in the place ran up on stage and exposed herself to me and gave me a kiss when I was done. I didn't know what the hell was going on...she was kinda hot :drool:

I cant speak for cover, but I once sang 'beautiful day' at karaoke and it was a hit with that crowd. In fact this girl in the place ran up on stage and exposed herself to me and gave me a kiss when I was done. I didn't know what the hell was going on...she was kinda hot :drool:

:up:

Jesus, whatever you do don't cover a popular song. You'll sound like a Love Boat band. Christ, people. You want a song with a tinge of familiarity. You want the reaction to be, "ooh I like that. Have I heard it before? I wonder if it's an original."

Unless, of course, you are a love boat band.

Jesus, whatever you do don't cover a popular song. You'll sound like a Love Boat band. Christ, people. You want a song with a tinge of familiarity. You want the reaction to be, "ooh I like that. Have I heard it before? I wonder if it's an original."

Unless, of course, you are a love boat band.

If they're looking to be a 'cover band' and make money, then that's probably not the way to do it (unless, of course, they wanted to be a 'U2 cover band' and had the proper crowd to go with it). In this case, their goal would probably rather be to get the crowd moving and cheering instead of staring the whole time and politely applauding at the end of every song.

Yet again, they could cover Cedars and tell us about the awkward stares and boos that came along with it. That'd almost be worth the story! :D

And for the record, I also vote for IWF.

Back
Top Bottom