global pandemic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s an awkward/poorly done graphic. What is “travel plans” and “restaurants”??

Cancelling travel plans and not going out to restaurants because of the virus. The poll was done before yesterday, when so many states told restaurants to close (other than take out).

I only posted it to point out that there's a partisan divide even on something like this. I'm on another forum where you're not allowed to talk politics. But comments seep in. There are obviously Trump supporters there, and one woman there believes that this has all been exaggerated and concocted to weaponize the virus against the economy and get rid of Trump. Yesterday she said that the steps being taken were akin to martial law, and that when the numbers of infected and deceased people do not live up to what has been predicted, it can be said that these measures prevented that. Rather than admitting that it was all exaggerated/ planned/ hoax from the get go to bring Trump down.

That's how some of his supporters think, I really don't think she's an outlier. So they are not likely to change their plans when it comes to this virus. It's all just a conspiracy to bring down their idol. To the point where they will defy any precaution to prevent the spread of this virus.

This is why we all need a full lock down and a border closure - we simply cannot trust large parts of the US population to do the right thing.

Ironically after Trump wanted his wall to keep everyone else out, turns out we are the ones clamouring for the wall against the deplorables.

Cancelling travel plans and not going out to restaurants because of the virus. The poll was done before yesterday, when so many states told restaurants to close (other than take out).

I only posted it to point out that there's a partisan divide even on something like this. I'm on another forum where you're not allowed to talk politics. But comments seep in. There are obviously Trump supporters there, and one woman there believes that this has all been exaggerated and concocted to weaponize the virus against the economy and get rid of Trump. Yesterday she said that the steps being taken were akin to martial law, and that when the numbers of infected and deceased people do not live up to what has been predicted, it can be said that these measures prevented that. Rather than admitting that it was all exaggerated/ planned/ hoax from the get go to bring Trump down.

That's how some of his supporters think, I really don't think she's an outlier. So they are not likely to change their plans when it comes to this virus. It's all just a conspiracy to bring down their idol. To the point where they will defy any precaution to prevent the spread of this virus.

I don’t get it. Is his administration. Who is making these rules if not the administration?

I’m sure it’s a deeper conspiracy.

I don’t get it. Is his administration. Who is making these rules if not the administration?

I’m sure it’s a deeper conspiracy.

From her comments, in this woman's mind, Trump has the right view on it...with his boneheaded statements and continuing to shake hands etc. He is basically being forced to take it seriously by the CDC. She keeps comparing it to H1N1 and the numbers for that and asking why these measures weren't taken then. The obvious difference to her is, her beloved Trump wasn't President then. Therein lies the conspiracy to get rid of him.

She constantly compares the numbers infected and the deaths from flus and this virus. She even mocks Dr. Fauci for the potential numbers he gives, so maybe he's in on it too. It's obvious from her comments too that she dismisses losses of elderly and those with preexisting conditions. As in those people are the ones dying and who cares.

Last edited:
MA shut down bars and restaurants too. No public gatherings over 25 people. Grocery stores and pharmacies stay open, but I believe all other stores will have to close. Movie theaters have to close, no concerts, and the obvious list goes on and on.

A whole bunch of governors saw the response this weekend and came to the realization that St Patrick's day was Tuesday.

Supposedly the catalyst for the latest restrictions here in MA was Mayor Walsh was driven around Southie Saturday night and saw al the bars packed and with lines to get in and realized folks weren't taking anything seriously. If it had not been St. Patrick's Day weekend, wonder if we'd have taken that next step.

Best of luck Vincent, I hope you can get tested.

The airport scenes are unacceptable and obviously extremely worrisome.

People are stealing toilet paper from public bathrooms in the US. MAGA!

Thanks! My physician's office said they can't do the testing, only provide me with a one week sick leave. I'd have to call the Corona hotline or the local health administration. But no luck in getting through. But I learnt from others that they stopped testing people. At first it was only those who had direct contact with a known case, now they only test if you report with severe symptoms (though a lot of people with in my view pretty severe symptoms also get turned down).

I still don't quite understand why we can't scale up the testing. It would be great to know if you are a carrier or not. But well, for the moment I trust they know what they are doing.

To top it all off, Spring seems to have kickstarted this weekend. After months of grey skies and cold, it's naturally near to impossible for many people to stay in. For those who believe Corona is nature's way to tell us what it thinks of us, in Berlin it certainly drove that message home. I can understand that people want to go out, and if you keep a distance it's also certainly a better idea than staying inside all the time. But that's the thing, people naturally don't observe all the rules. Yet another reason why I think testing should be scaled up. That way at least people know if they are positive and then can stay inside. Not fail safe, but better than no one one knowing at all.

I think what Corona also exposes is, the limitations of the EU as it is set up now. When Turkey opened the borders, the EU was quick to support Greece and Bulgaria to keep those pesky refugees away. In six years the EU hasn't managed to come up with a human rights oriented approach to that whole issue. And now, when several EU member states are in a different form of crisis, there's also no overarching EU effort to be seen. Nothing that seems like solidarity between the member states. No support for Italy, for example, where people are dying just for lack of treatment capacity.

It took until today to hear from the EU administration about any efforts, which are, of course, border closing (which in this case may be justified, but is this really all we are in the EU for?). It would have been a great chance to show to the people why the EU is more than just a bureaucratic entity with iron clad borders for the most vulnerable. Instead, each country for its own.

Ohio is postponing its primary. Seems like all states should follow suit since many polling places will consistently have more than 50 people, especially with the limited number of polling places that were supposed to remain open.

Online only if we can guarentee they can't be hacked.

Mail-in voting. States need to set this up NOW in order to be ready by November.

Could they find a way to do mail-in ballots or something instead?

I wish some of these shoes would have tried to get a little creative to keep production running rather than simply going dark for 2 months

Maybe we'll be lucky and they'll post some kind of video commentary online, even if it's just from their houses :p?

There are obviously Trump supporters there, and one woman there believes that this has all been exaggerated and concocted to weaponize the virus against the economy and get rid of Trump. Yesterday she said that the steps being taken were akin to martial law, and that when the numbers of infected and deceased people do not live up to what has been predicted, it can be said that these measures prevented that. Rather than admitting that it was all exaggerated/ planned/ hoax from the get go to bring Trump down.

:rolleyes: Imagine being this deluded. I love how Trump supporters are so certain that the Democrats/Hillary/the "deep state"/etc. have all this power and these evil mastermind plans to take down their beloved leader...and yet, somehow, despite all of that, we're still not in charge of anything. How exactly does that work?

They need to get it through their thick skulls that Democrats do not need to do shit to make Trump look bad or lose. He's doing a fine enough job of that all on his own. If he loses in November (please, God, please), he will have nobody to blame for his loss but himself.

She keeps comparing it to H1N1 and the numbers for that and asking why these measures weren't taken then. The obvious difference to her is, her beloved Trump wasn't President then. Therein lies the conspiracy to get rid of him.

So by her "logic", it's a conspiracy because the way one president handled one outbreak is different from how Trump is handling this? What?

But yes, back then we actually had a competent, intelligent president who took this kind of stuff seriously from the get-go and staffed his administration with people who were on top of the situation and could take care of it before it got any worse. Hence why we didn't wind up needing to go to such drastic measures in the end.

I mean...this isn't rocket science.

To top it all off, Spring seems to have kickstarted this weekend. After months of grey skies and cold, it's naturally near to impossible for many people to stay in. For those who believe Corona is nature's way to tell us what it thinks of us, in Berlin it certainly drove that message home.

You know, that's another thing about the whole "Oh, the warmer weather will take care of this!" argument...spring hasn't properly arrived in some parts of the country yet. We had one day about a week or so ago where it got into the low 60s, otherwise, it's been on the cool side here (it's currently in the 40s and cloudy today), and we could see more rain/snow throughout the week. And there's still plenty of areas in the mountains that are getting snow as well, and can get snow up through May. Hell, parts of south central Nebraska recently had a winter storm warning. Yes, eventually spring and warm weather will arrive, but it may come sooner for some areas than others.

And then of course there's the fact that the southern hemisphere is going into their fall/winter months right now. So who knows how that'll affect the outbreak down there.

Good post in genera, especially your points about the EU and the issues it's facing in relation to all of this. There's a lot of interesting and concerning ripple effects from this that I don't think people have really even considered yet.

I hope all turns out okay for you with the testing :hug:.

Made it home and it's pretty much the same situation that we're seeing everywhere else.
Island-wide lockdown for residents until March 31st and a 9 PM to 5 AM curfew. Everything canceled.
We're still at 5 confirmed cases but there's still a long way to go.

The Governor of Connecticut still cannot get 200 nurses on quarantine tested. Think about that for a second.

Meanwhile in my wife’s hometown in Brazil - Brazil, a country run by a lunatic - you can dial a public health care number and people will bring a testing kit to your home.

Interesting how independent conservatives have gone quiet now that Trump has declared this thing, ya know, not fake. :lol:

Great initiative by Raul Krauthausen, one of the most prominent German activists for the rights of disabled, and others: https://www.facebook.com/raul.krauthausen/posts/3110065939011597

Translation:

Hi, it's us. The #riskgroup. You thought we'd be chainsmoking morbidly sick or at least old? Not at all. None of us is retired and we like going to clubs, bars and concerts as much as you do. What we don't want is to die. But exactly this is not so unlikely if you don't just stay home over the next couple of weeks and reduce your radius of social interation for a while. Just whatever they health minister proposes.

In Italy it's already too late: Doctors have to make the decision who to ventilate - and who'll die. Why? Well, among other reasons because people kept getting each other infected for too long.

Oh right, we wanted to introduce ourselves. Denis, Amelie and Oli are the #TetraPack: They are paralysed below the cervical spine and can't cough properly - the virus could kill them. Kati suffers from spina bifida and has a lung capacity of half a liter - you can imagine how useful that is in case of a severe infection. Raul and Leonard have the brittle-bone disease - same story. Laura suffers from a muscle condition for which the virus also poses the threat of death - as it is for the lungs of Jan, who is quadriplegic.

But these are all no reasons to die - we think. I hope you too. So please follow the advise and save lives - ours, but also those of many other risk groups. Persons with preconditions, or those with chronic diseases. You are also far from 60 years of age and in a risk group? Put a face to it. Post it, talk about it, and get support. Use the hashtag. Join the band. Because: Dying will have to happen later. Much later. Rock and roll, your #riskgroup.

If any of this is true, what an eye opener. Calling the NFL and Dana White in the midst of this crisis and the stock market crashing . And you know things are truly fucked up if Tucker Carlson is flying to Mar A Lago to try to convince the President to take this seriously. In no world would Don Lemon be trying to convince Hillary Clinton to take this seriously. Jared should have nothing to do with this, go home and quarantine.

Vanity Fair

“There’s No Boogeyman He Can Attack”: Angry at Kushner, Trump Awakens to the COVID-19 Danger
GABRIEL SHERMAN
MARCH 16, 2020 6:07 PM

Last Thursday, as the stock market was on the way to losing nearly 2,400 points—its biggest single-day plunge since the 1987 Black Monday crash—Donald Trump was worrying about the fate of the football season. NFL players aren’t scheduled to report to training camp for months, but according to a source, Trump feared that the league might preemptively announce it was following the NBA and NHL and suspend or delay operations due to the coronavirus. So Trump called NFL owners to see if any action was on the horizon. “Trump begged them not to cancel the season,” a source briefed on the call said.

Trump’s concern for the NFL’s well-being was a stark reversal given that he spent the first two years of his presidency attacking the league and its kneeling players. It reflected Trump’s magical thinking that he could manage the coronavirus pandemic by convincing people life would remain normal and sports would be played. (Last week, Trump also spoke with Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White and advised him not to cancel UFC events.) “Trump thinks this is a media problem,” a Republican close to the White House told me. Treating COVID-19 as a public-relations crisis put Trump at odds with the medical community, including the White House’s chief coronavirus adviser, Dr. Anthony Fauci. During an interview on Meet the Press this weekend, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases urged the United States to move toward a national lockdown similar to the actions taken by Italy and Spain. “I think we should really be overly aggressive and get criticized for overreacting,” Fauci said.

With the markets in free fall despite emergency action by the Fed over the weekend, Trump is waking up to the reality that’s been clear to everyone: Coronavirus poses a once-in-a-hundred-years threat to the country. “In the last 48 hours he has understood the magnitude of what’s going on,” a former West Wing official told me. As Trump processes the stakes facing the country—and his presidency—he’s also lashing out at advisers, whom he blames for the White House’s inept and flat-footed response. Sources say a principal target of his anger is Jared Kushner. “I have never heard so many people inside the White House openly discuss how pissed Trump is at Jared,” the former West Wing official said.

Sources told me Trump is regretting that Kushner swooped into the coronavirus response last week. Kushner, according to sources, encouraged Trump to treat the emergency as a P.R. problem when Fauci and others were calling for aggressive action. “This was Jared saying the world needs me to solve another problem,” a former White House official said. One source briefed on the internal conversations told me that Kushner advised Trump not to call a national emergency during his Oval Office address on March 11 because “it would tank the markets.” The markets cratered anyway, and Trump announced the national emergency on Friday. “They had to clean that up on Friday,” another former West Wing official said. Trump was also said to be angry that Kushner oversold Google’s coronavirus testing website when in fact the tech giant had a fledgling effort. Trump got slammed in the press for promoting the phantom Google product. “Jared told Trump that Google was doing an entire website that would be up in 72 hours and had 1,100 people working on it 24/7. That’s just a lie,” the source briefed on the internal conversations told me.

Reached for comment, a White House official said: “This is just another false story focused on rumors about palace intrigue instead of the actual aggressive measures President Trump has implemented to keep the American people safe and healthy.”

One reason the president’s attitude may be changing is that coronavirus showed up at his doorstep, literally: Mar-a-Lago is now a hot spot. Last weekend, Trump interacted with a Brazilian government official who tested positive for COVID-19. The appearance of coronavirus inside the president’s bubble jolted the president’s inner circle that up until that point treated the virus more like a Democratic plot. With coronavirus lurking on the property, about a hundred guests sipped cocktails by the pool at a 50th birthday party for Donald Trump Jr.’s girlfriend, former Fox News personality Kimberly Guilfoyle. RNC chairwoman Ronna McDaniel announced after attending the party that she was self-quarantining after experiencing flu-like symptoms. Another turning point was an intervention by Guilfoyle’s former colleague Tucker Carlson. A source who attended the party told me Carlson went to Mar-a-Lago to confront Trump directly about his failure to take the virus seriously.

Now that Trump is engaged and the crisis is accelerating—the Dow dropped nearly 3,000 points on Monday—Republicans fear he is operating without a playbook at a time when one is desperately needed. On Sunday night, with no unified message coming from the government, rumors swirled online that Trump would imminently announce a national lockdown (the White House tweeted that the rumor was false). But several former White House officials told me they believed the rumor to be true. “This is not what he likes to do,” a former West Wing official said. “There’s no boogeyman he can attack.” On Monday, Trump reportedly told governors they’re on their own. “Respirators, ventilators, all of the equipment—try getting it yourselves,” Trump said on a conference call, according to the New York Times.

Every hour seems to bring about a future that would have been unimaginable only days ago. Ohio might be postponing Tuesday’s primary. Would Trump try to delay the election? In another news conference on Monday afternoon, he announced federal guidelines banning gatherings of 10 or more people, auguring the rumored national lockdown. Republicans fear a lockdown could compound the crisis if Trump is cooped up in the White House with nothing to watch but the news. “What’s he going to do, watch reruns of the Masters from 2017? He’s just going to watch TV and tweet and it’s going to get worse,” the former official said.

Interesting how independent conservatives have gone quiet now that Trump has declared this thing, ya know, not fake. :lol:

I don't really know what an independent conservative is, but my woman on my other forum isn't one. Her latest theory is that "they" have tried other things (to get rid of Trump) and it hasn't worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom