Global Pandemic Part III: A typical Spring, Just Ask China

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think it’s a combo of

Shutting down before everyone else
More tests now
Relaxed measures or nice weather so people are going out more.

Back in March San Diego weather was just gross (for here) and i think the shock and awe of it all kinda jolted everyone to stay in.

Now weather is warming up and May Grey hasn’t really happened. I see way more foot traffic downtown, more cars on the streets, etc.

Just seems almost normal

All of the above. Honestly, I think the Angeleno approach to lockdown hasn't been all that different from Sweden's in the end, at least not in the past few weeks. Their citizens socially distance even though it hasn't been strictly enforced and their mobility dropped by about 30% as a result. Right now? I would say ours is down maybe 45-50% from what is typical this time of year.

If/when the second wave comes through, it will be interesting to see how major metropolitan areas are impacted compared to rural areas that were not as intensely impacted the first time through. Lately, it barely feels like we've locked down at all. Serological testing should illuminate this issue somewhat in the coming months as we uncover reliable antibody tests, but we're not there yet.

Last edited:
Wisconsin is such a shit show right now. Now that the Supreme Court full of "pro life" Republicans decided that it's everyone's right to go out and public and spread a deadly virus, now individual counties are putting their own Safer At Home orders in place, basically saying "not so fast".

Last night, bars opened and people flooded to them.

And this state also voted Trump in 2016. If it weren't for our sports teams, I'd be getting the F out of here.

If it weren't for our sports teams, I'd be getting the F out of here.

You've got just one more season each of Wroggers and Giannis, before they become a Raider and Warrior respectively, maybe start perusing the Georgia real estate listings to get a jump on things.

Wisconsin is such a shit show right now. Now that the Supreme Court full of "pro life" Republicans decided that it's everyone's right to go out and public and spread a deadly virus, now individual counties are putting their own Safer At Home orders in place, basically saying "not so fast".

Last night, bars opened and people flooded to them.

And this state also voted Trump in 2016. If it weren't for our sports teams, I'd be getting the F out of here.

Since when did Wisconsin become Cold Florida?

Yes, there’s usually a overcast for most of May and into June (June Gloom). Usually burns off by afternoon

So far this year it’s been sunshine galore.

It’s a shame i can find a patio open to have a drink.

Maybe if i brought my bazooka they’d open for me

You've got just one more season each of Wroggers and Giannis, before they become a Raider and Warrior respectively, maybe start perusing the Georgia real estate listings to get a jump on things.

Haha nah. Giannis is staying put, but I think Rodgers gets traded after this season.

Haha nah. Giannis is staying put

masai-ujiri-laughing.jpg

"We're going to have a tremendous year next year." - Trump.

Yes, hopefully one where you've fucked off to jail or otherwise out of our sight.

Every time I see one of these Presidential events where Trump glorifies himself and then a whole parade of people follow, prostrating themselves at his feet in a horribly embarrassing way, I think about how unlike many of us, Americans never lived through the communism of 1945-onward, whether it be in Eastern Europe, China, etc.

Those of us who have know that this is exactly the sort of thing we were forced to watch, the "you are just tremendous, comrade!" bullshit. The difference is, if I think back to the 80s, we all knew it was bullshit and all rolled our eyes fully aware of the absolute incompetence and corruption at the top. We knew that it wasn't normal to have bread lines, we knew that our dilapidated infrastructure was 50 years inferior to that found in the West (at least), we knew that our economy was total shit and that we were being lied to at every turn.

But in the US, you have like 30-40% of the population not even recognizing that much. It's just beyond comprehension given that there isn't a media blackout, there is plenty of information that is not state-owned or directed. Only bad things can come of this and I have grave concerns about where we as a species go from here. If Biden wins, you think these men with their bazookas are going to congratulate him and move on with their lives?

Oh yes, he’s so Soviet. He might as well be talking about “glorious production quotas.”

But I guess people are people. And some of us are willing to believe that a single man alone is capable of redeeming us all. It’s certainly easier that way.

Oh yes, he’s so Soviet. He might as well be talking about “glorious production quotas.”

But I guess people are people. And some of us are willing to believe that a single man alone is capable of redeeming us all. It’s certainly easier that way.

I blame the media's relentless "both-siderism" for a lot of this. We show you both sides, YOU decide!

How about we fucking not and just listen to experts, recognizing that we don't know the knowledge or experience to "decide" what is true or real?

Yes, hopefully one where you've fucked off to jail or otherwise out of our sight.

He's been saying this for a couple weeks now and its an obvious attempt to put it in people's minds that the economy will be great next year as long as he's still in charge.

I really want to punch him every time he throws that bullshit around. Operate warp speed and disappear Donnie. Disappear tremendously.

He can throw anything against the wall and his followers will believe it. They probably believe he'll create a vaccine too.

i think i've changed my mind.

if your response to the quarantine is to bring nooses, axes, bazookas, and semi-automatic weaponry to the state capitol in protest, then, yes, i do hope you get COVID and die. at home. so you're not drawing resources away from actual victims.

and winner of the best headline for 2020 so far:

If Trump had been in charge during World War II, this column would be in German

I’m finding it difficult to take something named “Operarion Warp Speed” seriously.
I was like - wait....... What?! :|
Didn't go to double check.

He's just about the antisisist of what The Federation stands for in it's best actions.

Spoiler for ST: Enterprise
only reason I'm adding this is I happened to watch last night, the 2 parter right near the end of the series where an anti-alien violent group sends major threats against aliens and human supporters if the aliens don't leave the Solar System in 24 hrs.

Oh, HELL, YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom