Global Pandemic Part III: A typical Spring, Just Ask China

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What’s interesting is that the quarantine provided a great opportunity to eradicate many STDs. People should have been encouraged to go get tested and get treated because transmission right now should be almost nonexistent.

Uhh this may have already been posted somewhere (maybe even by yourself, i'm sure I picked the link from a post elsewhere):

Covid-19 crisis raises hopes of end to UK transmission of HIV

But its worth posting even if again!

Last edited:
Soooooo if there isn't a massive spike in hospitalizations in, oh I dunno, a week/week and a half... can we just, ya know, get on with it?

The numbers now still reflect physical distancing in a lot of significant ways (schools and offices closed, no leisure international travel, very depressed regional travel, restrictions of occupancies in public spaces). So if by “get on with it” you mean staying as-is and continuing with a steady infection rate (until the fall, who knows then) that’s probably doable. But if you mean stripping all precautionary measures then I think you’ll be in total lockdown again soon.

The numbers are two weeks behind.

There are massive protests around the nation, and now around the world as well.

I'm not saying just rip off the band-aid - but if these protests don't end in massive spikes in the cities they're taking place in? Yea, we can probably pick up the pace on the phased reopenings.

The numbers are two weeks behind.

There are massive protests around the nation, and now around the world as well.

I'm not saying just rip off the band-aid - but if these protests don't end in massive spikes in the cities they're taking place in? Yea, we can probably pick up the pace on the phased reopenings.

The protests are outside in what has been gorgeous weather on the east coast at least, and virtually everyone is in a mask.

I feel like it could be ok.

I don’t think protests are necessarily as big a driver of increases as people believe. The (scarce) evidence seems to indicate that transmission outdoors is not a huge factor. Plus there seemed to be widespread mask usage in the protests (not amongst the police, though). Of course, use of tear gas and pepper spray gets people coughing and that could be an issue.

Now, getting people back in the closed confines of offices, public transportation and restaurants might be a problem.

LM is right in that the failure was approaching the lockdown as an end, not as a means to get the infrastructure for reopening right. And that goes beyond testing and tracing, though that is key.

Cuomo and de Blasio for example have been unable to put forward a plan for how people will move in NYC in two months - the expansion of bike lanes has been a joke, and they have no idea of the traffic clusterfuck that is about to hit Manhattan.

Yes they are outdoors, but this is obviously different than your normal outdoor activity of walking the dog or riding your bike or jogging and passing someone else quickly every so often.
They are in very close quarters with hundreds or sometimes thousands of others, and for hours at a time.
Most are wearing masks, so that will mitigate things, and the demographics will play a big role as most of the protesters are young and therefore less likely to have a severe case of Covid-19, so hospitalizations shouldn't spike dramatically, but cases could. Question is will they be symptomatic, or symptomatic enough to warrant testing?

https://twitter.com/scottgottliebmd/status/1268127676977623040?s=21

Sweden really gained nothing with their decision. Still has death and economic stress.

I am afraid here in USA we are following the same path as the Spanish flu. We continue to relax more and more and come fall we aren’t prepared.

CNN has a blurb about Fauci saying there’ll be 100 million doses of vaccine by end of year. Of course what he’s saying is that those 100 million could be worthless. They are producing them if vaccine works or not. Which isn’t a bad idea.

My issue is he seems to be the only doctor I’ve read who’s held onto this extreme timeline.

He hasn’t gone full Brix yet but anyone who’s working for Trump at this stage i have doubts.

Throw in Moderna has never been successful, and weren’t there some shady things going on, like someone in the task force was also the head of the company ?

Any who, let’s see how it progresses. But in regards to protests and spikes in cases / hospitalization, we’ll see. A lot of the country is already seeing that (AZ looking bad right now)

I think with the protests being outside in nice weather probably lessens the viral load. Of course if you’re getting gassed and coughing on someone that’s probably nulls the advantage

Yes they are outdoors, but this is obviously different than your normal outdoor activity of walking the dog or riding your bike or jogging and passing someone else quickly every so often.
They are in very close quarters with hundreds or sometimes thousands of others, and for hours at a time.
Most are wearing masks, so that will mitigate things, and the demographics will play a big role as most of the protesters are young and therefore less likely to have a severe case of Covid-19, so hospitalizations shouldn't spike dramatically, but cases could. Question is will they be symptomatic, or symptomatic enough to warrant testing?

I agree that it's not optimal, but if you look at the Honk Kong example, where people were protesting (but with almost 100% mask usage), there wasn't a significant spike in transmissions...

I've been long winded time and time again in this thread, but honestly what it comes down to is that we have no idea what will happen and will just have to wait and see.

Regardless of the risk, one should never sacrifice their soul to protect their body. Countries all over the world are being overtaken by authoritarian regimes under cover of COVID-19 and our people have been getting fucked harder than usual. I applaud the widespread use of masks to minimize the risk of speaking up.

I've been long winded time and time again in this thread, but honestly what it comes down to is that we have no idea what will happen and will just have to wait and see.

Regardless of the risk, one should never sacrifice their soul to protect their body. Countries all over the world are being overtaken by authoritarian regimes under cover of COVID-19 and our people have been getting fucked harder than usual. I applaud the widespread use of masks to minimize the risk of speaking up.
This is the correct answer. Quiz is over.

On a much lighter note, fingers crossed that the NBA is returning. And baseball can pound sand, to be polite. Good job at destroying your sport's popularity even further.

Yep. Who will miss baseball if the NBA and NHL playoffs are happening from August through October?
Take us right into football and baseball will fall behind Nascar, Golf, MLS and tiddliewinks in popularity.

The Major League owners can't get out of the way of their own greed, and have chosen using a pandemic to try to increase their leverage heading into next year's labor dispute. But I guess that makes them like many billionaires who are profiting off of this crisis.

This article seems pertinent to the discussion we were just having:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/06/04/public-health-protests-301534

For months, public health experts have urged Americans to take every precaution to stop the spread of Covid-19—stay at home, steer clear of friends and extended family, and absolutely avoid large gatherings.

Now some of those experts are broadcasting a new message: It’s time to get out of the house and join the mass protests against racism.

“We should always evaluate the risks and benefits of efforts to control the virus,” Jennifer Nuzzo, a Johns Hopkins epidemiologist, tweeted on Tuesday. “In this moment the public health risks of not protesting to demand an end to systemic racism greatly exceed the harms of the virus.”

“The injustice that’s evident to everyone right now needs to be addressed,” Abraar Karan, a Brigham and Women’s Hospital physician who’s*exhorted*coronavirus experts to amplify the protests' anti-racist message, told me. "While I have voiced concerns that protests risk creating more outbreaks, the status quo wasn’t going to stop #covid19 either," he wrote on Twitter this week.

It’s a message echoed by media outlets and some of the most prominent public health experts in America, like former Centers for Disease Control and Prevention director Tom Frieden, who loudly warned against efforts to rush reopening but is now supportive of mass protests. Their claim: If we don’t address racial inequality, it’ll be that much harder to fight Covid-19. There’s also evidence that the virus doesn’t spread easily outdoors, especially if people wear masks.

The experts maintain that their messages are consistent—that they were always flexible on Americans going outside, that they want protesters to take precautions and that they're prioritizing public health by demanding an urgent fix to systemic racism.

Last edited:
The Italians have come to the same conclusion regarding the potency of the virus. It absolutely makes sense - it’s better for a virus to be less deadly.

But it also tracks the rates of prevalence of the seasonal flu so we just have no choice but to wait and see until about late November. Viral loads would be much lower if you catch it outdoors so the weather is helping us.

Let’s hope that it does flame out into a less severe cold / flu because Americans will easily forget (seems like we already have) and then get completely blindsided by the fall.

Man Emerging from 75-Day Silent Retreat Hit with Reality of Pandemic, Protests: 'Hell of a Drug'

Daniel Thorson embarked on the silent retreat in a remote area of Vermont on March 13 and returned on May 23

By Joelle Goldstein
June 04, 2020 05:13 PM

A man who embarked on a nearly three-month-long silent retreat recently returned to reality — and he had one simple question: "Did I miss anything?"

That's what Daniel Thorson asked his Twitter followers after spending 75 days living in a cabin in a remote area of Vermont, according to The New York Times.

When he returned to society in late May, Thorson, 33, found himself overwhelmed with the current realities of the coronavirus pandemic and nationwide protests over policy brutality sparked by the death of George Floyd.

"I feel like an oddity, I feel like a curiosity. I don’t know what they expect me to say," he told the Times. "This whole thing is a hell of a drug. It really, really, really has an impact on my nervous system."

Thorson, who works at the Monastic Academy and hosts the Emerge podcast, is part of a Buddhist monastic community in Vermont, according to the Times.

Over the years, he's been involved in current events, like helping organize the economic inequality protest movement Occupy Wall Street, and has promoted technology as a way to achieve enlightenment with the Buddhist Geeks movement, the outlet reported.

On March 13, he announced on Twitter that he was headed "off into silent retreat (aka voluntary physical and memetic self-quarantine) for the next 75 days or so," inspired by his Buddhist group's teacher, Soryu Forall.

While in isolation, Thorson recalled to the Times how he wondered about everything he would be missing out on and if he would be able to process it when he returned.

"There was a collective traumatic emotional experience that I was not a part of," he said. "To what degree do I have to piece it back together?"

"I was thinking, is it going to be Mad Max out there, like are we the last survivors?" he added. "How is humanity doing?"

On May 23, he finally learned the answer to that question, coming out of isolation and making one of his first stops at a grocery store, where he unknowingly failed to practice social distancing and was confused by other people's reactions when he did so.

"I would turn a corner in the grocery store, and someone would be there, and they would recoil," Thorson recalled to the Times. "I haven’t installed the COVID operating system. At first, I was, like, 'Whoa, what did I do?'"

Daniel Thorson
@dthorson
People at the grocery store seem more anxious than I remember.

3:23 PM - May 25, 2020

From there, Thorson continued to learn more about what unfolded in the past few months from people online.

He said he was shocked to see how there wasn't any news focused on the election or Australian wildfires, and at times became overwhelmed with the intensity of re-engaging with people.

Days later, he restored the color on the screen of his phone, which he kept on grayscale during his retreat. Even that was a shock to his system, as he told the Times that the color hurt his eyes and was a "super-stimulating thing" because it was nothing like colors in real life.

Despite differing opinions from internet users, Thorson said he was able to gather one major takeaway from his time in isolation.

"Everybody has extremely strongly held, very different opinions about everything: how dangerous it is, what the response should have been, how it’s going, whether or not we need to isolate, how to treat it if you get it," he told the Times.

"There is one consensus proposition that, it seems to me, everybody holds. It’s that whatever happened in the last three months is one of the most significant events in modern history," he said.

Last edited:
College football is trying to get off the ground by getting players back to campus for summer camp. To kick things off, Alabama has had five players test positive for COVID. About 50 players worked out together between the time they were tested and when they got the results back.

Yes but they’re kids and only old people die so we better have college football!!!

/every football message board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom