Glastonbury

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeannieco

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
If the moonlight caught you crying on Killiney Bay
Sharing some interesting facts I discovered since I was curious and you may all know this already, but I sure didn't.
Since I had never heard of it I researched what this Glastonbury thing was, and sure enough. St. Joseph performed a miracle there and the soil is considered sacred. So this new song is an instant favorite. Read the lyrics and then read the story of THE MIRACLE OF GLASTONBURY. It’s beautiful! Oh and Bono’s recovery has been nothing short of miraculous ….so he said in the RS article that just came out. No wonder these words spilled from his heart if he did indeed write after the injury! This has touched MY heart and as anyone struggling with health or other issues knows, gratitude induces healing! My favorite line is “MORNING, IT WAS HEAVEN SENT and MUSIC IS A SACRAMENT”

I love love love this song!! :) Share your thoughts...what do you guys think of the lyrics and meaning?

THE MIRACLE OF GLASTONBURY

Thousands of visitors travel each year to Glastonbury, England to experience the miraculous powers of its sacred soil. They come to mend a broken marriage or broken heart. They come to solve their problems, recapture the joys of youth or a dream that has gone astray. They come to repair a shattered relationship or to ask for love, money, happiness.

According to legend, in 63 A.D. Saint Joseph stood before a crowd of disbelievers at Glastonbury praying for a miracle. As he struck his staff into the ground his prayer was answered--the staff immediately shot forth leaves and blossoms.

Since that time, spectacular miracles have occurred at Glastonbury. Today, people take a small sample of dirt from Glastonbury in the belief that it will:

Spark a resurgence in their lives and good fortune.

Bless them with good luck and good fortune.

Bring them a financial windfall.

Jesus at Glastonbury - During the 18 years in which there is no recorded history on the life of Christ, there is a theory that Jesus accompanied St. Joseph on his journey to Glastonbury.

The Holy Grail - After the crucifixion, St. Joseph collected the blood from the body of the crucified Crhist in the Holy Grail (the sacred cup used by Jesus at the Last Supper). When St. Joseph returned to Glastonbury, some say he buried the Holy Grail there.

Connection between Glastonbury, The Great Pyramid, and Stonehenge - The two thousand year old design on the cover of the famous Glastonbury Well forms the Vesica Piscis (the fish sign - symbol of Christ). Even more mysteriously, this symbol is also found at the Great Pyramids and Stonehenge.

don't want to disappoint anyone coming from a "christian" perspective, but Glastonbury the town itself (the music festival is not in Glastonbury itself but in a neighbouring village called Pilton) is more a major "New Age"/wiccan centre these days to be honest... it does have a lot of "christian" history, re. Joseph of Arimathea (sp?), and it is thought the holy grail was taken there and placed in the care of a family there, but walking around the town is kind of a different vibe lol!!!

it's pretty though... lovely climb up the Tor - we used to go "dragon-hunting" there with the kids... gorgeous countryside... i love the place myself...

hi!

i can't claim to be an expert in these areas lol!! and my comments are just based on my many visits to the town and people i've met there over the years, having lived in the area for a while... by New Age i mean, well, New Age in its widest possible definition lol!!! walking thru the town (and back alleys lol) you will see spiritual centres offering seminars and courses on all kinds of "New Age" subjects, benjamin crem (sp??) and a messiah living in Golders Green are a couple of examples that spring to mind lol! (i am a complete cynic but whatever floats anybody's boat is fine lol!) weird and wonderful shops selling crystals, magic potions and formulas, amulets all kinds... by Wiccan i am referring to people who described themselves as such, and offered services there such as "healing" for example... have also met people there who described themselves as "pagans" and "warlocks" as well.... i don't know if all that would come under the umbrella of the "New Age" as well? in its "alternative spiritual beliefs" tradition perhaps... then you have the christian history as well... from my experience, i think pretty much anything goes there, it has a nice vibe of people being able to be themselves, but it can come across pretty freaky i guess... i was pretty taken aback the first time i went there as i'd never been to a place as intense as that, it was all out there, in your face, and all yours for a price lol... funny place!

it is an interesting place to visit as it's so steeped in history, and Arthurian legend as well, and is referred to as the ancient Avalon... there is a lot to see there... i do have very fond memories of that funny place lol!!!

Wow what mix of people! Sounds interesting and strange all at the same time. I would love to check it out if I am ever in England again. I live in the States :)
When I went to Ireland a few years ago we made a side trip up to NewGrange near Slane. That was facinating to me...learned all about the Druids.

Can someone help me figure out the lyrics to Glastonbury? I think I have about everything, except the piece in the pre chorus.

Pale as snow, my flowering rose, for a flowering rose that ........
Came to find, the flowering rose, the flowering rose of glastonbury

What on earth is Bono saying in the first line? I just cannot figure it out! Using Helsinki bootleg btw because it's so clear. But I just cannot figure it out. U2miracle's first guess was "said my name" but that does not sound right at all..

also the bridge part,
"Down at the river where the pilgrims are sleeping, under the flower are ...
something ... keeping, mirage of the dreams again sleeping..."
the rest I just cannot hear clearly enough to make out.

I found on atu2.com that it should be "for a flowering rose I would bend my knee".. that sorta does sound like what he's singing, but I have no clue what it would mean. It sounds kinda strange...

I found on atu2.com that it should be "for a flowering rose I would bend my knee".. that sorta does sound like what he's singing, but I have no clue what it would mean. It sounds kinda strange...

The Flowering Rose of Glastonbury according religious folklore/legend is a miracle performed by St.John... and Bono even referred to "the Miracle of the flowering rose of Glastonbury" in an interview as I described in my initial post. "According to legend, in 63 A.D. Saint Joseph stood before a crowd of disbelievers at Glastonbury praying for a miracle. As he struck his staff into the ground his prayer was answered--the staff immediately shot forth leaves and blossoms.

So to me he is saying he would bend his knee to the Holy Spirit, that Higher power....

I love that!!

yeah i don't think it's about proposing at all. it's about genuflecting ala in catholic church when you genuflect when you pass the tabernacle.

The Flowering Rose of Glastonbury according religious folklore/legend is a miracle performed by St.John... and Bono even referred to "the Miracle of the flowering rose of Glastonbury" in an interview as I described in my initial post. "According to legend, in 63 A.D. Saint Joseph stood before a crowd of disbelievers at Glastonbury praying for a miracle. As he struck his staff into the ground his prayer was answered--the staff immediately shot forth leaves and blossoms.

So to me he is saying he would bend his knee to the Holy Spirit, that Higher power....

I love that!!

can i just say, there is no such thing as the "flowering rose of Glastonbury" - it was, in fact, a middle eastern species of hawthorn... Bono must just be using artist licence to push the facts a bit...

it's just amazing how a random quote by B and song lyrics suddenly become the stuff of myths and legend LOL

it's just amazing how a random quote by B and song lyrics suddenly become the stuff of myths and legend LOL

Well, yes Bono takes poetic license here and calls it a rose, but that myth and legend were not created by Bono himself.
I did some research because I was curious what it meant and I am simply sharing what I found... so interpret as you will.
As an interesting side note (or not :) did you know that every major Cathedral has a common demoninator usually in the gothic tradition, called the Rose Window or Catherine window, named after Saint Catherine and in more recent times they also have come to symbolize the Virgin Mary, especially in Catholic Cathedrals.

I just googled rose window for a better definition if you are interested::D I think they are incredibly beautiful and have always loved them. The picture below is a photo I took at the magnificant National Cathedral in DC when I was there for the inauguration in 09. So gorgeous. I was in awe of that place.

Here is the definition from ask.com:

When rose windows are used in the transept ends, then one of those windows is frequently dedicated to Mary as the Mother of Jesus. In modern Catholic thought, the rose window is often associated with the Virgin Mary because one of her titles, referred to by St Bernard of Clairvaux, is the “Mystical Rose”. However, the specific association of Mary with the rose window is unlikely during the Mediaeval period, because the term "rose window" was not coined until the 17th century, a time when few such windows were being constructed. However, in the 19th and 20th centuries, with the revival of the Gothic style much stained glass installed in rose windows, both in new churches and as restoration in old churches, was dedicated to the Virgin Mary.[20]

WASHDCNatCathZOO003.jpg

Well, yes Bono takes poetic license here and calls it a rose, but that myth and legend were not created by Bono himself.

hi jeannieco!
yes, i am familiar with the legend of Joseph of Arimathea re. his staff taking root and blossoming at Glastonbury, but what i meant was, because Bono called it a "rose" ("flowering rose of Glastonbury") instead of the hawthorn that it actually was, it will now be mistakenly immortalised as a rose among U2 fans lol!! ;)

i love the stained-glassed window you posted - the colours remind me very much of the one at Notre-Dame - one of my faves :)

hi jeannieco!
yes, i am familiar with the legend of Joseph of Arimathea re. his staff taking root and blossoming at Glastonbury, but what i meant was, because Bono called it a "rose" ("flowering rose of Glastonbury") instead of the hawthorn that it actually was, it will now be mistakenly immortalised as a rose among U2 fans lol!! ;)

i love the stained-glassed window you posted - the colours remind me very much of the one at Notre-Dame - one of my faves :)
:wave: Hi ya!
Got it, I see what you are saying.

Yes, that window was emitting some really beautiful light.
In fact when I was in the cathedral it was a sunny day outside...not a cloud in the sky so the light was just incredible. In fact there was an "ultraviolet" hue throughtout the whole place. It was magical! :)

Back
Top Bottom