Get Out of Your Own Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know it's not fashionable in recent years to laud U2's new material with praise, but dear god, this is an absolutely fantastic song and I adore those lyrics. Interesting interpretation as well but I definitely think it refers to himself. As ever with Bono - his best lyrics are the lyrics clothed in self doubt and honesty.

'Is it only me who sees there's something wrong there'. So simple yet it hits home so hard.

I agree and I think this theme will also tie in with the song (The Showman?) where (I’m paraphrasing) he says the audience sings along to make the lie come to life. The vulnerability is appealing - I think it replaces the angst that many of their older songs possess. Reflection vs anticipation?

why do we care so much how u2 go about writing new music, seriously?

i know the simple answer: because there's a general belief that if they said "fuck the hits," we'd get joshua tree part 2 or achtung baby part 2, or the next masterpiece in the vein of Stateless and Ground Beneath Her Feet.

i get that. i really do. but... who cares?

u2 are well past their expiration date. they've been living on borrowed time for awhile. if they want to chase relevance and make pure pop songs, whatever. so be it. if they want to be the Biggest First Bestest Ever Yet 50+ Year Old Rockers to have a hit on the top 100, sure. let them try. they probably won't, but if that's the route they want to go, who am i to say don't do that? they've earned the right to do whatever the hell they want.

i think headache said it in another thread: if you generally dislike post 2000s U2, you're probably not going to like these songs. which makes... perfect sense. there's probably going to be a couple of songs on the album that even the most ardent 2000+ haters like, which will just increase the frustration level i'm sure.

but as many have said: take what you can get out of the band at this point. if you love the music, great. I tend to fall on that side of things. (much like with star wars, if it's even a decent star wars movie, i'll probably like it more than others; same with new u2).

if you don't like the music, that's unfortunate, but i do understand why you'd be frustrated. hopefully you'll find something to really love on the album to make this whole 3-year cycle worth it.

:applaud: well said ! No matter what they bring out, there will always be fans who are unhappy. After all, we are a pretty hard to please bunch :)

Little Things can certainly be interpreted in many different ways, which is U2 at its best. But, I’ve always thought much of the song could be about Trump, in particular these sections:

The night gave you a song
A light had been turned on
You walked out in the world
Like you belong there

As easy as a breeze
Each heart was yours to please
Is it only me who sees
There's something wrong there

It's the little things that give you away
The words you cannot say
Your big mouth in the way
It's the little things that tease and betray

The Big Mouth from The Blackout, where he’s clearly talking about Trump, is referenced again here.

With that said, this entire song could also be about Bono himself.

I first heard Little things through my I phone with no headphones. It was the live version in Vancouver opening night. I'll never forget it- I have a part time job driving limo and was in between rides. I'd stopped at a convenient store out in the suburbs to grab a snack before a ride into Boston for the night. I had a while- almost as an afterthought I said "let me see if the new song made youtube yet." I'm tired and not expecting too much- maybe an acoustic EBW or SFS type performance. I immediately perked up at the intro. This song clearly had some emotional weight. And it built and built. By the end, as the guitar started picking up, I said "this, for me, is easily Kite or All I want is you territory." 4 times seeing it live has only made that impression stronger.

The song of course could have many meanings- that's why so many of us love U2 songs- but the Trump angle immediately hit me. It reminded me instantly and powerfully of a conversation I had with a bartender friend the night Trump was elected. She hadn't followed it much but hit me with a bunch of b.s. talking points and said she didn't vote but she'd rather Trump than Hillary. I was already sick to my stomach. She went on her way home with no care in the world a few minutes after our discussion:

I'm having a real discussion with her and she's repeating lies: "i'm not a ghost now, I see you, you need to see me."

"Walked out in the world like you belonged there."

"Is it only me that sees that something is wrong here?"

"You were talking at me, not to me."

"High above the storm, a hurricane being born, but this freedom, it may cost you your liberty."

More than enough here to go the full political angle, the full personal angle, or a combination of the two.

I first heard Little things through my I phone with no headphones. It was the live version in Vancouver opening night. I'll never forget it- I have a part time job driving limo and was in between rides. I'd stopped at a convenient store out in the suburbs to grab a snack before a ride into Boston for the night. I had a while- almost as an afterthought I said "let me see if the new song made youtube yet." I'm tired and not expecting too much- maybe an acoustic EBW or SFS type performance. I immediately perked up at the intro. This song clearly had some emotional weight. And it built and built. By the end, as the guitar started picking up, I said "this, for me, is easily Kite or All I want is you territory." 4 times seeing it live has only made that impression stronger.

The song of course could have many meanings- that's why so many of us love U2 songs- but the Trump angle immediately hit me. It reminded me instantly and powerfully of a conversation I had with a bartender friend the night Trump was elected. She hadn't followed it much but hit me with a bunch of b.s. talking points and said she didn't vote but she'd rather Trump than Hillary. I was already sick to my stomach. She went on her way home with no care in the world a few minutes after our discussion:

I'm having a real discussion with her and she's repeating lies: "i'm not a ghost now, I see you, you need to see me."

"Walked out in the world like you belonged there."

"Is it only me that sees that something is wrong here?"

"You were talking at me, not to me."

"High above the storm, a hurricane being born, but this freedom, it may cost you your liberty."

More than enough here to go the full political angle, the full personal angle, or a combination of the two.

Glad to hear I’m not alone! Good analysis.

I just can't understand why the hell they don't repeat the "all night all night" post chorus section at the end of the song!

Why, why??? It would certainly make the song more complete and more epic.

The first verse seems to be a letter to his daughters, specifically helping them deal with heartbreak.

Yet the second verse seems like another letter to America. Which is annoying.

Yeah, that's my main issue with this song; I don't think the blend of personal and political works here. The first verse is much stronger and, had the whole song continued in that vein, it could have been a lot better, and probably more relatable for listeners.

Does anyone else think that the song could have used a middle section or breakdown? Or even a third verse?

I like the chorus coming back off of the solo - it keeps the song lean and mean. But I also think this song could have used a "there is no them..." section, a la Invisible, or even a breakdown like Blackout or a subdued third verse before coming back with a huge final chorus.

Does anyone else think that the song could have used a middle section or breakdown? Or even a third verse?

I like the chorus coming back off of the solo - it keeps the song lean and mean. But I also think this song could have used a "there is no them..." section, a la Invisible, or even a breakdown like Blackout or a subdued third verse before coming back with a huge final chorus.

I agree it would have benefitted the song.

That said, I think the last minute or so of the song is really special. You can hear the whole band playing and that magical U2 thing is happening. Someone mentioned this earlier, but it reminds me a lot of the last minute or so of Mercy.

The more I listen to it, the more I'm fine with most of it and the less I'm fine with that second verse.

The "all night/all right" and background "ohh whoa" aren't quite utilized for maximum impact.

Still sounds like Coldplay.

The "all night/all right" and background "ohh whoa" aren't quite utilized for maximum impact.

Then they succeeded because that's exactly who they're trying to sound like. Using BD as a success template and then building on the modern pop sound. While the song has great potential, it comes off rather contrived and neutered. The teaser clips were encouraging because you could hear that great hook and backing vocals, but then the full track leaves you with the tailored radio format, awkward song structure, and overproduction much like Best Thing. It could be so much more with a little room to breathe.

Last edited:
Then they succeeded because that's exactly who they're trying to sound like. Using BD as a success template and then building on the modern pop sound. While the song has great potential, it comes off rather contrived and neutered. The teaser clips were encouraging because you could hear that great hook and backing vocals, but then the full track leaves you with the tailored radio format, awkward song structure, and overproduction much like Best Thing. It could be so much more with a little room to breathe.

Sorry, I'm don't want to be a d**k, but how is this an awkward song structure?
This song is pretty much perfectly laid out, good mix on the sound, really nice layering of vocals on that last chorus section.

I do get the point of giving a song room to breath, and this one does feel packed in a bit. So I'll give you that.

Loving this tune, playing it full blast in the car gives me goosebumps :)

Then that's a neat little recursive trick that U2 is doing, isn't it? Sounding like a band whose sound is primarily based off of U2.

While the second verse is clearly about America/Brexit/etc, I don't necessarily believe that it isn't still a part of Bono's letter to his daughters and not a letter to the people of the west.

They are after all young activists in their own right, especially Jordan.

I'd been thinking about that the last couple days. I thought that it still is advice to his daughters - the world at large changing, protecting your own freedom and liberty - don't be quiet, don't be complacent, don't take it sitting down...

Coldplay sounding like U2 sounding like Coldplay. Circle jerk.

I never ever get the Coldplay comparisons.

U2's sound around the atyclb era was the same sound as get out of your own way. At that time Coldplay hadn't long released their debut record which sounds nothing like u2 and is probably their best record. Proper indie record.

Then as Coldplay progressed they took the u2 sound of the 2000's and put it in their music. Coldplay haven't never hidden their influence of u2.

Now Coldplay sound nothing like that Coldplay, not keen on their new stuff at all. U2 have really gone back to that 2000 sound with this song.

So I don't get how it sounds like Coldplay when Coldplay were influenced by u2 and took their sound. U2 are just going back to the 2000 sound with this single ( not that theve really changed from that sound since 2000)

I never ever get the Coldplay comparisons.

U2's sound around the atyclb era was the same sound as get out of your own way. At that time Coldplay hadn't long released their debut record which sounds nothing like u2 and is probably their best record. Proper indie record.

Then as Coldplay progressed they took the u2 sound of the 2000's and put it in their music. Coldplay haven't never hidden their influence of u2.

Now Coldplay sound nothing like that Coldplay, not keen on their new stuff at all. U2 have really gone back to that 2000 sound with this song.

So I don't get how it sounds like Coldplay when Coldplay were influenced by u2 and took their sound. U2 are just going back to the 2000 sound with this single ( not that theve really changed from that sound since 2000)

I hear quite a bit of U2 influence on Parachutes. Maybe not quite as much as their other albums, but definitely still there.

This is my fave of the 3 recordings, though the others are better songs weirdly! I just prefer the live Blackout and the Sci Fi Best Thing, neither of which are going on the album.

GOOYOW has a feel good vibe going for it... and though I’d give anything to hear some wah wah guitar and curveball melodies, it’s time to accept that the Zoo days are gone and U2 have settled on the post 2000s model for good.

Sorry, I'm don't want to be a d**k, but how is this an awkward song structure?

This song is pretty much perfectly laid out, good mix on the sound, really nice layering of vocals on that last chorus section.

I do get the point of giving a song room to breath, and this one does feel packed in a bit. So I'll give you that.

I agree with you. Song sounds great to me from the vocal delivery and chorus being highlights to the production being solid.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom