From the Sky Down, Davis Guggenheim's Achtung Baby documentary to premiere at TIFF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cant watch at the moment.
Is this remastered? Did they mention?
We clearly aren't now getting a video of them playing EVERYTHING off AB in Hansa 2011. So no new LIB or Acrobat... Oh well. Still a great package IMO....

Oh and ChrisEdge, that is fabulous. :wave:

Cant watch at the moment.
Is this remastered? Did they mention?
We clearly aren't now getting a video of them playing EVERYTHING off AB in Hansa 2011. So no new LIB or Acrobat... Oh well. Still a great package IMO....

Oh and ChrisEdge, that is fabulous. :wave:

No mention whatshowever.

I just saw the video and i think this is a wonderful moment in the evolution of U2.

Wow, that was a surprisingly very candid and sincere moment at the end. Really wonder where the band is going to go next... :hmm:

Loved the press conference. That last moment at the end was, in my opinion, deep. We shall see what will happen, eventually. It just made me feel uncertain, though. :huh:

Loved the press conference. That last moment at the end was, in my opinion, deep. We shall see what will happen, eventually. It just made me feel uncertain, though. :huh:

i just watched entertainment tonight canada and on the red carpet last night bono said pretty much the same thing and whether they can come up with something extraordinary or should they end the band. so my belief at this point is hes just playing it up.

Sheer bloody ego!!!!:doh: How the feck can the guy say they are on the 'edge of irrelevance' when they made some of their best music NOW such as Magnificent, No Line , unknown Caller and Moment of Surrender.

I'm sorry but Bono ROYALLY piusses me off sometimes. He might be an incredible spokesman and campaigner for Africa's and the World's poorest peple but by Christ he doesn't speak for U2 fans!!!!! :rant:

Sheer bloody ego!!!!:doh: How the feck can the guy say they are on the 'edge of irrelevance' when they made some of their best music NOW such as Magnificent, No Line , unknown Caller and Moment of Surrender.

I think sometimes Bono worries to much what the far artistic left say. To hold himself prisoner to something such as 'relevance' is too wide-ranging.

Someone that specializes in "film footage research" contacted me through YouTube and once I knew a bit more about it, and how much they were offering (Not that that really mattered) and I got a contract, I transfered the original tape to a DV file and sent them the footage. Got the check quite quickly.

The person did mention that the "Editor" REALLLY wanted my footage so she was excited that I was willing to sell it. So fingers crossed that it makes it in...and I get in the credits :)

That is so awesome, I hope it makes the cut.

Because he equates success w how many records they sell and if they do get played on the radio. I understand wanting to get played, they want more people to hear the music. But he goes about explaining it in the wrong way. I also agree w you on the ego part.

Who knows if all of the band agree on this. I think to a point, they do agree on being relevant, but maybe they all have different ideas on what they deem relevant?

You hit the nail on the head with 'they want more people to hear the music', they also seek to please the fans they've had/made over the course of every era, on top of an insecurity/perfectionism that's always been there, we're blowing the ego out of proportion here. If he was only coasting on ego he wouldn't be flying the 'edge of irrelevance flag', he'd just go on and on about how they just finished the biggest tour in history, and go on about the massive success of AB.

The reviews I have been reading today all kind of elude that the film feels incomplete. I loved "it might get loud" so that kind of makes me sad.

I'm actually quite concerned by his "edge of irrelevance" remark. Clearly he has taken the perceived failure of NLOTH badly. It makes me think if the next album (studio album number THIRTEEN btw) doesn't sell 9 million and win a few Grammys, that could be IT for U2. If Bono and Edge decides to throw in the towel, there's not much Larry and Adam can do. This is probably just a big over-reaction to a single off-the-cuff comment, I certainly hope so, but there's a feeling of the next record will be their most important since AB.

The reviews I have been reading today all kind of elude that the film feels incomplete. I loved "it might get loud" so that kind of makes me sad.

Goodness. That review is depressing.

On the plus side the last 4 mins of that press conference are the most honest words Bono has spoken since 2004 IMO.
No more punk rock from venus, Edge is on fire bullshit. Just the fucking truth. And it makes me proud of him.

Plus, all the SoA talk etc now makes sense to me. They need to do something properly "new" as a band, as I understand it..

Wow! Bono really is worried about getting on the radio.

He said the R word... :yikes:

but really, that is correct. This is their most important album since ATYCLB. They need a reinvention to get relevance (and it's not about sales or radio at all). I think SOA won't cut it. But Danger Mouse might.

It's a big shame if they really have neglected to talk about the other songs on the album. The Fly is almost as important to Achtung Baby as One.
Oh well, let's wait and see.

Goodness. That review is depressing.

On the plus side the last 4 mins of that press conference are the most honest words Bono has spoken since 2004 IMO.
No more punk rock from venus, Edge is on fire bullshit. Just the fucking truth. And it makes me proud of him.

Plus, all the SoA talk etc now makes sense to me. They need to do something properly "new" as a band, as I understand it..

Agreed. If NLOTH had been more of a hit in their eyes I think we would have seen SoA in some form by now.

Just watched the interview. Good stuff. You can tell that Bono had that last part rehearsed and was trying to find a way to sneak it in before the end.

The takeaway message is that we've proven we can blow people away live, and we make some huge songs once in a while, but now we need to make a record that matches JT or AB- something people will listen to all the way through and feel greatness.

I guess Bono's last comment jives with an older one:

Bono Tells Hot Press: U2 Album "Next Fall"

We want to get it right. I mean, look, why would anyone want another U2 album? Lots of people have them, why would they want another one? It just better be really great, and the reason why we didn't put out Songs of Ascent was that we felt that the next thing people need to hear from U2 is not an art project, that it has a rock 'n' roll heart, even if it's not rock 'n' roll music.

I'm glad Bono feels this way and I agree 100% with him. It think the band feels the vulnerable again and need to make something that out of their comfort zone again.

"After some great footage of the band reworking the Achtung songs for Glastonbury this past summer (including an absolutely stunning solo Edge performance of "Love Is Blindness"), the band completes the backstage embrace that opened the film, and takes the stage with a defiantly triumphant version of "Even Better Than The Real Thing" that soars over the end credits."

I cannot wait to see that version of LIB

Back
Top Bottom