For Cat Lovers Only XIV - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for everyone's good wishes, for anyone that doesn't know Stimpy is being put down on Wednesday. Luckily I could get a house visit out of it, which will make things a lot easier. In any case, he's had pretty much as good a run as a cat could possibly have, so I want to celebrate that instead of getting too miserable about it.

So sorry.:hug: I hate having to do that.

Thanks for everyone's good wishes, for anyone that doesn't know Stimpy is being put down on Wednesday. Luckily I could get a house visit out of it, which will make things a lot easier. In any case, he's had pretty much as good a run as a cat could possibly have, so I want to celebrate that instead of getting too miserable about it.

I'm so sorry. :hug:

Love everyone's pictures! So many cute kitties! :love:

My guys had another nip party Saturday night. They are a lot like people at parties -- Oscar get belligerent and starts spats with everyone; Ricky and LBC (Dude Muffin) get exuberantly happy; Loki gets paranoid and sits next to a wall or in a corner and gives these "don't touch me!" looks to everyone; Alex does a combination of mellow (most of the time) and belligerent (when Oscar starts picking on him or when Ricky or LBC gets to close to him when they are flopping around); and Isidore and Miss Myrrh just lay around with these "hey man, the floor is just amazing!" and "dude, get a load of how the room is changing colours and spinning around...faaaarrr ooouuuttt!!!!"

Then they all pile on my bed and sleep it off the rest of the night. :)

I'm so sorry. :hug:

Love everyone's pictures! So many cute kitties! :love:

My guys had another nip party Saturday night. They are a lot like people at parties -- Oscar get belligerent and starts spats with everyone; Ricky and LBC (Dude Muffin) get exuberantly happy; Loki gets paranoid and sits next to a wall or in a corner and gives these "don't touch me!" looks to everyone; Alex does a combination of mellow (most of the time) and belligerent (when Oscar starts picking on him or when Ricky or LBC gets to close to him when they are flopping around); and Isidore and Miss Myrrh just lay around with these "hey man, the floor is just amazing!" and "dude, get a load of how the room is changing colours and spinning around...faaaarrr ooouuuttt!!!!"

Then they all pile on my bed and sleep it off the rest of the night. :)

this is just so hilarious!!!!!!:lol:

Haha that is pretty funny. I took this one of Saki on the nip the other day. He has crazy nip eyes.

sakinip.jpg

Nothing. I'm starting a new business in my spare time after being a father. My wife is starting a new business while she's not being a mom. The cats only source of real attention is from my 2 year old daughter.

Seems like a bad life.

Let me tell you about a bad life. I'm not trying to preach or anything but It's been so cold this past week that I've been going crazy just to make life a bit more comfortable for a few strays around here.
I've fixed up a small end table outside with the sides blocked from the very cold wind and temps we've had, which is most unusual for the deep south - teens and low 20's. These cats are starving.
I bought a large bag of food for them and just tonight I put out another box with an old blanket for some other cats.
We are suppose to have sleet with possible snow tonight and I haven't seen snow in 7 or 8 years. It's raining now and there are 2 cat's under the table and in the box. When I go to put food out they are shivering.
It's breaking my heart. :sad: I try to catch and take them to a no kill shelter but they are so fast and sometimes mean.
I'll keep trying, I have 4 cats of my own. They have it so good.
Again, I don't judge you, but please try to find another good home for them if you decide not to keep them.:heart:

omg that's so sad :( I dont know if it would help but they sell those disposable hot packs that you just smash and they release heat for like 12 hours. They're just a couple dollars and you can get them at any sporting good store or probably even like a Longs or Rite Aid. You can stick them under the blankets.

Here's a site with a lot of info on how to make shelters as well.
IndyFeral - Outdoor Cat Shelters and Feeding Stations

and another
Outdoor Cat Shelter

Thanks Sicy.
The shelters I've set up are outside the apartment area where my dryer vent puts out and I'm running it on and off. That's warm air and I think if they stay there it will be warm enough with the sheet/blanket/box shelters I've given them.

Are there any cats here that also have weird snow habits?

For some reason Miep is obsessed with eating snow. She hates going outside, hates the cold and always runs back in asap, but when I go outside and make a snowball and put it in a bowl for her she LOVES it. Not just likes it, when I do it after feeding her she completely ignores the food and starts licking the snowball instead! Now if it were ice cream with a flavour, i could understand it. But frozen water? :scratch:

apparantly our big Darcy done something I never witnessed but I wish to fuk I had!

She had gone over to our tree, sniffed and started to play/bite with one of the small light bulbs, and then had the whole thing in her mouth for a few seconds!

sorry, sorry but :lol::lol::lmao:

As dangerous as it was, I wish Id seen her mouth all lit up, this 'glow', from the outside! :D

Let me tell you about a bad life. I'm not trying to preach or anything but It's been so cold this past week that I've been going crazy just to make life a bit more comfortable for a few strays around here.
I've fixed up a small end table outside with the sides blocked from the very cold wind and temps we've had, which is most unusual for the deep south - teens and low 20's. These cats are starving.
I bought a large bag of food for them and just tonight I put out another box with an old blanket for some other cats.
We are suppose to have sleet with possible snow tonight and I haven't seen snow in 7 or 8 years. It's raining now and there are 2 cat's under the table and in the box. When I go to put food out they are shivering.
It's breaking my heart. :sad: I try to catch and take them to a no kill shelter but they are so fast and sometimes mean.
I'll keep trying, I have 4 cats of my own. They have it so good.
Again, I don't judge you, but please try to find another good home for them if you decide not to keep them.:heart:

Bless your heart! :hug:

Halp! Our Fergus has started pooping other places besides the litterbox--like in the bathtub, by the breezeway door, etc. He appears to be feeling okay--eating, good attitude, etc.--just the inappropriate toilet behavior. The only thing we can figure is that I mistakenly got a different variety of litter than what they are accustomed to, as this seemed to begin about the time MrPurrl changed the boxes last week. Do y'all think that may be the problem? I'm going to get "the usual" after work and see if it makes a difference. :sad:

Halp! Our Fergus has started pooping other places besides the litterbox--like in the bathtub, by the breezeway door, etc. He appears to be feeling okay--eating, good attitude, etc.--just the inappropriate toilet behavior. The only thing we can figure is that I mistakenly got a different variety of litter than what they are accustomed to, as this seemed to begin about the time MrPurrl changed the boxes last week. Do y'all think that may be the problem? I'm going to get "the usual" after work and see if it makes a difference. :sad:

I have heard of cats boycotting their litter boxs because they don't like the kitty litter used, so that could very well be it. I do hope that is the case since it would be a very easy fix.

This reminds me I meant to ask. Anyone know why Maurice would take to starting to do this in his BED? He doesn't do it every time, but we have had to throw away more than a couple beds lately. The worst part is, we find him still sleeping in there, with it. :no:
He is getting a bit up there in age, but doesn't show any other signs of being old. He still basically acts like he always has, and looks healthy, etc. I can understand the litterbox thing, but then wouldn't he just go elsewhere, not where he sleeps. Is he getting senile? :(

I can understand the litterbox thing, but then wouldn't he just go elsewhere, not where he sleeps. Is he getting senile? :(

I can't speak for him being senile, but I have a feeling he doesn't have the control he used too. Possibly doesn't even know when it is going to happen, untill it's too late? maybe. He needs to be checked out if his diet hasn't changed recently.

I can't speak for him being senile, but I have a feeling he doesn't have the control he used too. Possibly doesn't even know when it is going to happen, untill it's too late? maybe. He needs to be checked out if his diet hasn't changed recently.

Thanks, that does sound like something it could be. We'll check that out.

Hi All,

I would appreciate some advice on furniture protection from our furry monster Keto.

We are about to get a couple of new sofas. The material is going to be cloth so I know the cat hair will stick to it. I really don't have a problem with that as it can be easily wiped off/vacumed.

What I am worried about is him scratching the sides and/or back of the sofas. He has done this with an older sofa so I know he will do it again.

How do I prevent him from scratching it up?

We do have a scratching pad for him and he uses it regulary but he still manages to scratch up other spots in the house.

I just don't want to turn a brand new sofa set into his $1300 scratching post

Sounds like a bit of kitty trouble. Hope all goes well for them Mspurrl and Comet. :hug:

Miep is starting to show her age. On the kitchen counter(only one part she's allowed on) she usually jumps up to drink from a glass that we fill for her. It's the only place she can drink when she's stuck in the room for the day(she likes to sleep under the table).
Last night, during dinner, she wanted to drink. Sadly, she didn't make the jump up and crashed back on the floor then ran away startled. She didn't attempt to get up again and when I went to her to pick her up she got scared and went away. :sad:
Today she tried again and did make it, but I'd hate to see her fall again. Is there some special diet for old cats that I can give her? To improve her jumping and muscles and such? She's only 11 and has been a very active cat all her life, I don't think she could live the lazy cat's life.

Sounds like a bit of kitty trouble. Hope all goes well for them Mspurrl and Comet. :hug:

Miep is starting to show her age. On the kitchen counter(only one part she's allowed on) she usually jumps up to drink from a glass that we fill for her. It's the only place she can drink when she's stuck in the room for the day(she likes to sleep under the table).
Last night, during dinner, she wanted to drink. Sadly, she didn't make the jump up and crashed back on the floor then ran away startled. She didn't attempt to get up again and when I went to her to pick her up she got scared and went away. :sad:
Today she tried again and did make it, but I'd hate to see her fall again. Is there some special diet for old cats that I can give her? To improve her jumping and muscles and such? She's only 11 and has been a very active cat all her life, I don't think she could live the lazy cat's life.

Poor Miep! We have made stairs for our cats as they get older--to the bed and anywhere else they need to be. They learn to use them fairly quickly. :hug:

Hi All,

I would appreciate some advice on furniture protection from our furry monster Keto.

We are about to get a couple of new sofas. The material is going to be cloth so I know the cat hair will stick to it. I really don't have a problem with that as it can be easily wiped off/vacumed.

What I am worried about is him scratching the sides and/or back of the sofas. He has done this with an older sofa so I know he will do it again.

How do I prevent him from scratching it up?

We do have a scratching pad for him and he uses it regulary but he still manages to scratch up other spots in the house.

I just don't want to turn a brand new sofa set into his $1300 scratching post

Keep their nails trimmed and provide plenty of other places for him to scratch. Buy more than one scratching post.

There are a few things you can do that fall into 2 categories:
1. make the sofa less attractive
2. make things like her scratching post more attractive.

Buy a product called bitter orange from pet stores to spray on the areas she claws. The smell is nice to us but repulsive to cats. She won't want that smell on her paws! Put duct or masking tape on the areas she scratches too (sticky side up), tacking it across with a narrow strip of tape. Much cheaper than the double sided tapes sold to deter cats. Laying aluminium foil down & taping it works too. You might need to do all the diff methods if she LOVES the sofa.

Get more than one scratching place & some that are horizontal too. A few in diff places helps lots. Put one next to the sofa. If you see her start on the sofa, gently take her off, saying "No" firmly & then place her paws on the post & drag them up & down like she'd do if she scratched it. Praise her lots. Adding some catnip to the surfaces often encourages them even more.

Tape works too.
Stop Your Cat from Scratching the Couch in 3 Ways - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

And soft paws.
Nail Caps for Cats

Poor Miep! We have made stairs for our cats as they get older--to the bed and anywhere else they need to be. They learn to use them fairly quickly. :hug:

:hug: Thanks Gg, and yes poor Miep! :( We went through that with Maurice too. His bed and food area have always been in the garage on a counter top. He has to be right next to it before jumping too because there is a car in there and it's cramped quarters. Anyways... he eventually lost the ability to jump up so we moved a clothes hamper there for him to transition, then eventually even that was too high, so now there's one of my kids old toddler chairs there to transition up to the hamper. :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom