For Cat Lovers Only XII - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I THINK one way of doing it is replacing the litter in the box with corn kernels so the urine won't be absorbed. It will just pool in the bottom of the box or tray and you can collect it and dump the kernels.

But will the cat still use the box then? Cause ours is a bit picky. And problem number 2 is that it's an outside cat who ususally goes outside. Ah well, it's getting colder so that means she stays inside more.

Hi guys! :wave:

The kitties are now 8 weeks old so technically able to go out into the world on their own now :sad:
I was originally going to bring them to the local Humane Society but thought I'd try to give them away.I posted an ad on Craigslist - any tips on how to ensure they go to a loving home and not some lab??

Here's a pic from last weekend (I just checked the sex tonight and only the small grey one on the left is the female):

Ignatieff.jpg

How can you bear to part with them? :sad:

I can't, it's going to crush us :sad:

I've already received inquiries from my ad - people seem to be really taken with the dark grey one and rightfully so, he's the cutest and the most rambunctious. Anyone know how to screen people for this?
I don't want them to end up in some lab!

Maybe make them sign a contract of some sort stating that they will get them fixed/shots, etc and not let them outside. You could even visit their home and see if they would be suitable to own a cat.

The kitties are now 8 weeks old so technically able to go out into the world on their own now :sad:
I was originally going to bring them to the local Humane Society but thought I'd try to give them away.I posted an ad on Craigslist - any tips on how to ensure they go to a loving home and not some lab??

Here's a pic from last weekend (I just checked the sex tonight and only the small grey one on the left is the female):

Ignatieff.jpg

:cute: :love: :cute:

But will the cat still use the box then? Cause ours is a bit picky. And problem number 2 is that it's an outside cat who ususally goes outside. Ah well, it's getting colder so that means she stays inside more.

I guess it probably depends on the cat. Ours will always go in the box if the only other choice is the floor. In the past our mostly-outdoor cat would use the litter box when he was too cold to go outside. I have not needed to try the corn kernel trick but I'd imagine they wouldn't mind the feeling of digging through kernels-kitties love pebbly and gritty things. Good luck!

I can't, it's going to crush us :sad:

I've already received inquiries from my ad - people seem to be really taken with the dark grey one and rightfully so, he's the cutest and the most rambunctious. Anyone know how to screen people for this?
I don't want them to end up in some lab!

I would require a vet reference and at least one other reference. Also if they do not own, I would ask for the landlord's contact. Most contracts about spay/neuter, indoor/outdoor, first right of refusal, etc are really not enforceable at all so I don't release cats until they are spayed/neutered and up to date on shots (I don't declaw and ask that people not, but I guess I can't really stop them).

Anyone have tips on having a multi-cat (i.e. more than two) cat household? I currently work for a large humane society, and this year have taken in two litters of sick foster kittens. My first litter (from April) got well quickly, and were adopted out. I took in three more at the end of August. The biggest one was spayed and adopted out in early October. My other two have had problems getting over their upper respiratory issues...and have completely stolen my heart. *sigh* Not too mention the fact that they're extremely bonded to each other and should stay in a home together. No way could I split them up!

Drew and I currently have two dogs, and two five year old brother cats. I still haven't fully decided if we'll adopt my babies...I think we're both battling over whether we should go from four animals to six animals. Plus, Toshi enjoys the kitties, but Takibi cannot stand them. He's very hissy and growly with them. Anyone else have a houseful of animals and kitties? Any tips for keeping the peace? Much appreciated....

I always have lots of critters -- right now I'm down to eight cats (sometimes nine when one of my brother's cats comes over to my place) and one dog. The cats don't always get along perfectly. Some of them don't really like some of the others and there are occasional cat spats, but for the most part all of then deal pretty well with each other.

Your new pair are still kittens, right? My brother's cat -- the one that sometimes hangs out at my place -- was an eight week old kitten when he first arrived, and while a couple of my cats (Ricky and Max) loved him, the others wanted nothing to do with him. They acted towards him very much like your Takibi does towards your kitties. However, once he got close to adulthood, they treated him like all the other cats. I think some cats just don't like the unpredictability of kittens, but once they grow up they get along fine.

A few things I do to help keep the peace:

-- I don't let any of the cats get too pushy with another cat. Oscar doesn't really like LBC (Little Black Cat, my newest addition) and will sometimes bully LBC. He'll stalk LB or just sit near him and stare at him. LB doesn't like this and will growl (he knows I'll come to his rescue when he does that). Now all I have to do is say "Oscar!" in a certain tone, and Oscar will leave LB alone and go somewhere else. At first I did have to shoo Oscar away or put him in another room, but now he knows he's crossed the line and will just leave when I tell him to. (The dog (Zeke) likes to reinforce what I said -- he'll run over to Oscar, bark, and give him a shove with his nose. Drives me nuts sometimes, but he's a heeler and he's decided that keeping the cats in line is his job. :rolleyes: )

-- everyone gets special attention, especially the cats who seem most put out by the new addition. When they get attention from me they don't seem as concerned about the new cat or cats.

-- I also try not to let the new cats infringe too much on the established cats territory. For instance, if there are places your established cats particularly like to sleep, make sure the new cats don't take those spots over completely. You might have to put them in a different room for a few hours each day.

Overall what I have found is, if given enough time, the vast majority of cats will accept new cats into the household. They might not all be best friends, but with several cats, they don't really have to be best buddies with everyone.

Drew and I currently have two dogs, and two five year old brother cats. I still haven't fully decided if we'll adopt my babies...I think we're both battling over whether we should go from four animals to six animals. Plus, Toshi enjoys the kitties, but Takibi cannot stand them. He's very hissy and growly with them. Anyone else have a houseful of animals and kitties? Any tips for keeping the peace? Much appreciated....

I have three cats and three dogs, would be happy with more but that's th zoning limit, lol! Honestly the cats and dogs have never really been an issue. Kenya couldn't care less about cats and they were never afraid of her. Coke chased cats for a while, but we worked with him on that and now I have pictures of him on the couch with cats. Nikon is a work in progress, mainly b/c he's just 12 weeks. He is interested in the cats for play, but has a high prey drive and sharp little teeth, so I am not naive thinking that he can't easily hurt or kill them without intending to.

The main thing for me is that our house has special "safe" zones for the cats. Our front room (dining room) is gated off from the dogs, but the cats can go under or over the gate. They often sleep and play in this room, plus there is a buffet cabinet along the window for them to watch outside. The door between the living room and the basement has a cat door. The dogs are NEVER allowed in the basement and they know it. If I go down to clean the cat boxes and leave the door open, even the puppy does not try to come down the stairs. The entire basement belongs to the cats. The living room has a ledge where the cats can sit if the dogs are pestering. None of the dogs fit under the bed and only Kenya is agile enough to easily leap on/off the bed, so our bed is where the cats sleep.

Anytime a cat approaches a dog and the dog just sniffs or does not react, they get praised. It took a while for everyone to work things out but now we are to the point where Posh rubs her face on Kenya's jaw, Marijke will jump over the dogs if they are lying in the doorway, and Beckham shares dog beds with the dogs.

When Coke went through his rambuntous cat chasing phase we use a squirt bottle and squirt him for looking at cats, putting his head in the cat door, etc.

The nice thing about my cats is that they've learned that they can tell the dogs off. Instead of running they know if they hiss and swat at the dog, the dog will leave them alone. Even though they are different species they seem to speak the same language as far as "I don't want to play, leave me alone."

The cats themselves are all totally different personalities but they've always gotten along.

2982738606_9c993d69b7.jpg

2927197680_30ef4f3cac.jpg

2923241526_b16a596977.jpg

2927196684_ab63f6eefb.jpg

2844786202_227babb52a.jpg

2843950979_035f8805cd.jpg

2844785762_33cae463cb.jpg

2794978090_7a9a5a98d7.jpg

2673266604_033b05b276.jpg

1592351303_ff5518e13d.jpg

1679275257_1ab6b6473f.jpg

Coexist! :)

What cutie pies!

Make sure that they aren't "free to a good home". Ask for a small fee, as that can put off the crazies!

Your new pair are still kittens, right? My brother's cat -- the one that sometimes hangs out at my place -- was an eight week old kitten when he first arrived, and while a couple of my cats (Ricky and Max) loved him, the others wanted nothing to do with him. They acted towards him very much like your Takibi does towards your kitties. However, once he got close to adulthood, they treated him like all the other cats. I think some cats just don't like the unpredictability of kittens, but once they grow up they get along fine.

A few things I do to help keep the peace:

-- I don't let any of the cats get too pushy with another cat. Oscar doesn't really like LBC (Little Black Cat, my newest addition) and will sometimes bully LBC. He'll stalk LB or just sit near him and stare at him. LB doesn't like this and will growl (he knows I'll come to his rescue when he does that). Now all I have to do is say "Oscar!" in a certain tone, and Oscar will leave LB alone and go somewhere else. At first I did have to shoo Oscar away or put him in another room, but now he knows he's crossed the line and will just leave when I tell him to. (The dog (Zeke) likes to reinforce what I said -- he'll run over to Oscar, bark, and give him a shove with his nose. Drives me nuts sometimes, but he's a heeler and he's decided that keeping the cats in line is his job. :rolleyes: )

-- everyone gets special attention, especially the cats who seem most put out by the new addition. When they get attention from me they don't seem as concerned about the new cat or cats.

-- I also try not to let the new cats infringe too much on the established cats territory. For instance, if there are places your established cats particularly like to sleep, make sure the new cats don't take those spots over completely. You might have to put them in a different room for a few hours each day.

Overall what I have found is, if given enough time, the vast majority of cats will accept new cats into the household. They might not all be best friends, but with several cats, they don't really have to be best buddies with everyone.

Yep, my guys are still kittens (around 5-6) months, and I've had them since August 20. They still stay primarily in my office, though they get run time downstairs during the day and evening, so they get interaction time with the dogs and cats. I think that helps Takibi too...he knows they're around, but they aren't always in his face! We do try to keep Sprite and Eno from getting too nosy with him...like I said, he'll hiss and growl if they get too close, although if everyone is playing (i.e. I have a feather toy or something like that), he'll often "forget" that he can't stand them and they'll all chase it together. I've used treats with both the cats too, when they are non-reactive and curious with the kittens.

We're definitely not trying to make a big fuss over the kittens when Toshi and Takibi are around, and we are trying to give everyone equal attention.

I appreciate hearing your advice! :)

I have three cats and three dogs, would be happy with more but that's th zoning limit, lol! Honestly the cats and dogs have never really been an issue. Kenya couldn't care less about cats and they were never afraid of her. Coke chased cats for a while, but we worked with him on that and now I have pictures of him on the couch with cats. Nikon is a work in progress, mainly b/c he's just 12 weeks. He is interested in the cats for play, but has a high prey drive and sharp little teeth, so I am not naive thinking that he can't easily hurt or kill them without intending to.

The main thing for me is that our house has special "safe" zones for the cats. Our front room (dining room) is gated off from the dogs, but the cats can go under or over the gate. They often sleep and play in this room, plus there is a buffet cabinet along the window for them to watch outside. The door between the living room and the basement has a cat door. The dogs are NEVER allowed in the basement and they know it. If I go down to clean the cat boxes and leave the door open, even the puppy does not try to come down the stairs. The entire basement belongs to the cats. The living room has a ledge where the cats can sit if the dogs are pestering. None of the dogs fit under the bed and only Kenya is agile enough to easily leap on/off the bed, so our bed is where the cats sleep.

Anytime a cat approaches a dog and the dog just sniffs or does not react, they get praised. It took a while for everyone to work things out but now we are to the point where Posh rubs her face on Kenya's jaw, Marijke will jump over the dogs if they are lying in the doorway, and Beckham shares dog beds with the dogs.

When Coke went through his rambuntous cat chasing phase we use a squirt bottle and squirt him for looking at cats, putting his head in the cat door, etc.

The nice thing about my cats is that they've learned that they can tell the dogs off. Instead of running they know if they hiss and swat at the dog, the dog will leave them alone. Even though they are different species they seem to speak the same language as far as "I don't want to play, leave me alone."

The cats themselves are all totally different personalities but they've always gotten along.

Coexist! :)

Lies, I knew you had a houseful, I just couldn't remember how many kitties you had! ;)

The kittens are a bit of a challenge with Cosmo, since he does love to chase and of course, kittens love to run and act crazy. We've had that problem with Takibi, because it seems that he enjoys being chased by Cosmo! Toshi does not "provoke" Cos and otherwise ignores him and thus, Cos pays no attention to him. We're working with praising him like you mentioned with Coke, when he is calm around the kittens (and Takibi, though we've been working on that for a while...). Gracie is very patient with them, and will let them climb all over her though we don't let them jump on the couch with her when she's sleeping so as not to startle her.

Someone else at work had mentioned to me about creating safe havens for the cats. Obviously they like to sleep in high areas and windowsills, but I think it would be good if we gated off the laundry room. Their litterbox and food/water bowls are in there, and we cover the washer and dryer with blankets when not in use so the cats enjoy sleeping on them (and blankets also keep litter and dust out of the washer).

I do appreciate everyone's advice, and like I said, I'm still trying to work out whether I should keep them. Sprite is finally healthy enough to be spayed today, and she'll be coming back home with me tonight after work. Her brother is going nuts without her (just as she did when he was neutered a few weeks back and was gone for a day).

Oh yes, must post photos, right? :D

Here is Sprite when I first got her...she was the runt and was such a tiny girl compared to her siblings!
2810155354_5673f61475.jpg

Sprite with big sister Fuzzy who was adopted a month ago
2847410080_47198cc9af.jpg

Sprite two months ago
2847410086_d4f92f335b.jpg

With brother Eno
2925150453_1d6f06b2ff.jpg

Single file on the windowsill
2967088482_975c9d6cdc.jpg

My boy :heart:
3008382696_89ffbb3c6c.jpg

One more...Grace and Sprite
2894053816_11053306a8.jpg

I would require a vet reference and at least one other reference. Also if they do not own, I would ask for the landlord's contact. Most contracts about spay/neuter, indoor/outdoor, first right of refusal, etc are really not enforceable at all so I don't release cats until they are spayed/neutered and up to date on shots (I don't declaw and ask that people not, but I guess I can't really stop them).

So you get the shots, get them fixed and then charge the prospective owner the fees?

So you get the shots, get them fixed and then charge the prospective owner the fees?

I would always advertise a "re-homing fee" to weed out people that aren't serious. Whether or not it is actually charged will depend. If it ends up coming out of my pocket, at least I know it's been done. I adopted out one kitten with nothing done b/c she was less than 5 weeks old (found her in a hollow tree) and I did not have the time to properly ween and litter train her so she was given to someone who specifically wanted to raise and orphaned kitten. But I knew that person had money to burn and wouldn't have a problem getting the right shots and the surgery when the cat was old enough.

:yes: When we got our little kitten months ago, the older cat hated it. They couldn't be in the same room. Garfield (older one, creative name, I know) just hissed and swiped and attacked little Shelley and so they had to always be seperated. Now, they get along ok. They aren't best friends, but little Shelley can walk right up to Garfield, they can be in the same room, same space. Garfield gets a little grumpy, 'specially cos Shelley always wants to play, and they play fight, but when he's grumpy we just put him out.

Oh my, all the kitties are sooooo cute! :cute:

I have pictures of some of my bunch.

Some days you just can't face the world....
kittiesOct2008010.jpg
(Ricky)

kittiesnov08005.jpg

Ricky again. He'll pack himself into almost any box, no matter how small.

kittiesOct2008004.jpg
Isidore. He's just figured out that he can jump up on these and get more attention.

myleg020.jpg

Oscar hanging out on the deck (he's only allowed out when I'm able to keep a close eye on him).

kittiesnov08003.jpg

Miss Myrrh. She's now finally starting to become friendly with some of the other cats. It's only taken her four years.

kittiesOct2008017.jpg

Loki. My little beat up toothless wonder. Scared of most people, but just loves me.

lokirickylbcskcommissionpics018.jpg

LBC (Little Black Cat) lounging.

kittiesnov08011.jpg

I had just finished putting together a small futon/extra bed and within minutes it was covered with cats. Typical. They think I got it just for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom