For Cat Lovers Only XI - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Omg!!! :cute:

*Very* cute kittes, everyone! :)

That's a huge relief! Right now, the biggest bags of kitten food I can get are 4 lb bags. I go through nearly 4 of them per week. At least with switching to adult food, I can buy in bulk, in bigger bags, and it won't be so insanely expensive. :crack:

I'm wondering if limiting the amounts of food for kittens is okay, or if I should allow them to free feed for a bit longer?

:tongue: we need new pics of them kittens!!!!

:crack: 4 bags a week.. that's quite a bit!
We feed our little monster mostly dry food, and when she needs new flea stuff we put that in wet food, finish the can in about 2, 3 days(gets fed twice a day)..she can live a looong time on one bag!
I think you should watch them when they eat, it might occur that one of them eats more than the others, if that's the case, limit that kitten's amount... if they all seem to eat the same amount, not eating like their life depend on it, I don't see any harm in free feeding :)

Omg!!! :cute:
I'm wondering if limiting the amounts of food for kittens is okay, or if I should allow them to free feed for a bit longer?

That's another thing I recommend is to start cutting back on what is left out when you start the adult food, asking for trouble if the dish is always full - I can't remember how old your babies are but in general 6 months is a good time to start the changes.

Lucy, today, tasting the rain:

002-2.jpg

Pavement licker :yuck:

it's a beautiful thing aint it? :D

there's nothing like cleaning up cat vomit (hairball combo) and or stepping in it on the way to the bathroom in the middle of the nite.. :huh:

Or having someone call you while you're on vacation thousands of miles away and telling you that your cat threw up on your laptop - which they had been using and left open while they stepped out of the room for a second, so the cat puke has seeped into the keyboard, damaging the "logic board" or whatever it's called. Oh and "liquid damage" is not covered under the warranty. And your laptop isn't even completely paid for yet. And they can't afford to reimburse you, so it's up to you to shell out the $750 to get the laptop fixed.

Not that that happened to me recently or anything :reject:

:tongue: we need new pics of them kittens!!!!

I would have thought you guys would be tired of my kitten pics by now. :reject: I've been crazy busy lately. If I don't get to take any this week, I'll try to do it on the weekend.

That's another thing I recommend is to start cutting back on what is left out when you start the adult food, asking for trouble if the dish is always full - I can't remember how old your babies are but in general 6 months is a good time to start the changes.

Thanks for the advice! They'll be 6 months on the 26th, so it's almost time. :)

Adorable, beegee! Her colouring, the amount of black vs orange, and the white, is very, very similar to my Abby's.

Or having someone call you while you're on vacation thousands of miles away and telling you that your cat threw up on your laptop - which they had been using and left open while they stepped out of the room for a second, so the cat puke has seeped into the keyboard, damaging the "logic board" or whatever it's called. Oh and "liquid damage" is not covered under the warranty. And your laptop isn't even completely paid for yet. And they can't afford to reimburse you, so it's up to you to shell out the $750 to get the laptop fixed.

oh noes! kelly! really omg! that so does suck!:sad: :hug:

That would be difficult to deal with--and difficult to be nice to the person who was using it. :huh:

Kelly, what a bummer!!!!! I'd be turning back around and going to Ireland!

To cheer you up, here is a picture of Jack (whom we've been calling "Catatouille," since any time I'm cooking, he comes in and sits on the breakfast bar to watch -- I seriously think he wants to cook! :D)

One of his lazier moments:

2008_0806cats08050001.jpg

I stopped the kitten food around 2 months. I don't know if this is the thing to do, but my kittens turned their noses up at it because they had access to not only their mom's food but Lovey's as well. I don't have enough rooms/time or patience to feed everyone separately.
They've all done just fine. Max is skinny in my opinion, but he eats good and Bela, his mom is a voracious eater and she is still not overweight.
Lovey is looking good and Jack the other boy kitten/cat, is almost as big as Lovey, who is a little over a year & 1/2 according to the vet. I feed them all the same cat food, Friskies indoor/hairball control or special blend.
I throw in a can of wet cat food once a day.
It's like a treat for them they get so :hyper:
Great pic everyone. I should have new pics soon.
:wave:

girls, any of you bought in new kittens while having adult cats?

is it impossible to do?

just wonderin.
maybe you got the adults used to it?

My brother and niece got a kitten (Spunky Butt) two years ago and since they live right next door the kitten came over to my place a lot (he still does) to hang out with my cats. Miss Myrrh doesn't like him, but she doesn't really like anyone, so I don't count her.

Everyone else does fine with him. Ricky really likes him and would play with him and clean him when he was here. Ricky has good mothering instincts. :) When Spunky would get too rambunctious the older cats would generally just go somewhere the kitten couldn't reach or they would occasionally tell him off and he would decide he could find someone or something else to play with.

It wasn't a big deal at all.

right, I think we fear one of our cats would attack it. I suppose its important to keep sharing affection equally, so no-one feels left out.

maybe we should have gotten one when they were hitting a 'year old'.

Mine ranged from about 4-5 years old to 18 years when Spunky came. Making sure the current cats get plenty of attention is very important though, especially at first. You spend a lot of time making sure everyone knows they are loved. :yes:

is it impossible to do?

just wonderin.

yea, we got a kitten when our cat was about.. 8 or 9 years old I think... she didn't like the kitten, but didn't attack her or anything.. it was like, kitten in? I'm out, bye! and then returned to eat... she just kept her distance, and did sit on our laps like she always does...
when the kitten was gone(ran over by car) she did change, got more cuddly and such..

I think it all depends on the adult cat, some cats totally love kittens and treat them like their own baby, but others feel like their privacy is invaded.. it's up to you to figure out what kind of cat you have!

is it impossible to do?

just wonderin.

Oh yes. Beckham was basically an adult when I got Posh. Both were adults when we got Maximus. Then a year after that we found the 5 week old kitten in a tree. Later that summer my housemate got Loki when he was 8 weeks old. Then a year after that we got Marijke when she was a kitten.

In my experience, neither dogs nor cats give a kitten or a puppy any leeway just because they are younger (unlike humans, we don't expect a baby not to fuss and be rude simply because it's a baby). Maximus in particular does NOT like kittens (he is my old housemate's cat but we lived together for years).

I introduce a kitten same as any other cat or animal. For the first few weeks, interaction is closely supervised. Usually for the first 2-3 weeks, we do rotations where the existing animals have one part of the house and the new animal has the other, then every few hours they switch spots to get used to each others' smells. Generally it's taken me 2 weeks minimum but sometimes more like a month before I am comfortable leaving the new and old animals together without me being there.

Mine still growl at each other from time to time. :lol: Will isn't above giving someone a little slap when they get a little out of hand too. Some cats are a "cat's cat." Meezer is like this. He really likes hanging out with other cats. That was one of the reasons I adopted him. He's such a great little cat! He likes to hang out with me too. He's my only cat that gives head bonks. :cute:

My mom's cat Sara (the one with FIV) is a people's cat. She'd rather hang out with the humans in the house than the other cats. She's never been fond of the other cats. To be honest, she's not all that fond of me either. She knows whose momma I am. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom