Eve's new movie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No trolling is only when you make rude comments about individual forum members, a bit like what of you did to me a couple of weeks ago, remember? U2 have had worst things said about them over the years but it's also considered a sin to defend yourself or them according to some folks.

Now I've lived in the south west of England most of my life where the accent is known to be farmer's country bumpkin. I don't care is nesquick wants to call me a bumpkin at all, because as I said, I've heard worse said about me on here over the previous weeks

Trolling is only meant to stir up reactions. A good indication on that someone is trolling is no proper response on another commenter's replies. A troll often writes the same comments over and over and throws random insults at other commenters. They never back up their arguments.

I know a middle-aged man that does this, it's truly bizarre. :|

I think he has a mental health problem so there is no point in trying to reason with him. I doubt he even likes U2. He probably does this on a variety of websites.

I'm fine, don't worry, and i love u2, really, i love their music, i love this people and i've met them a few times... I'm a big big big fan...
I've always thought that irish are talking like bumkins, i mean it's funny compared to english or american isn't it? Bono itself said once they came from nowhere an that they were bumkins from Dublin... so come on, don't be so aggressive, it 's pathetic! Enjoy life!

I'm fine, don't worry, and i love u2, really, i love their music, i love this people and i've met them a few times... I'm a big big big fan...
I've always thought that irish are talking like bumkins, i mean it's funny compared to english or american isn't it? Bono itself said once they came from nowhere an that they were bumkins from Dublin... so come on, don't be so aggressive, it 's pathetic! Enjoy life!

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't *mean* this to be offensive, though regardless of intent, you did insult.

So, since subtlety isn't your strong point:

The Irish accent in general would not be considered a 'bumpkin' accent to native English speakers. There are certainly Irish dialects that would fit the bill - look up 'culchie' - in the same way that Americans have 'hillbilly' accents, but there is a very large difference between talking about rural, regional dialects and saying an *entire nation's* accent is bumpkin-esque.

Further, I don't think you actually understand the connotations of 'bumpkin'. It generally describes a rural person who is not particularly intelligent. Small wonder that some people think that's a bit pejorative, especially when you're using it to describe Dubliners. Larry Mullen may have a working class accent, but it's not a 'bumpkin' accent. That simply isn't what the word 'bumpkin' means.

Here: Yokel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe you can use this as an opportunity to further your understanding of the English language. You'll get there eventually!

Do their accents sound something like this to you? :giggle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYdKkzIXTxA&feature=related

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't *mean* this to be offensive, though regardless of intent, you did insult.

So, since subtlety isn't your strong point:

The Irish accent in general would not be considered a 'bumpkin' accent to native English speakers. There are certainly Irish dialects that would fit the bill - look up 'culchie' - in the same way that Americans have 'hillbilly' accents, but there is a very large difference between talking about rural, regional dialects and saying an *entire nation's* accent is bumpkin-esque.

Further, I don't think you actually understand the connotations of 'bumpkin'. It generally describes a rural person who is not particularly intelligent. Small wonder that some people think that's a bit pejorative, especially when you're using it to describe Dubliners. Larry Mullen may have a working class accent, but it's not a 'bumpkin' accent. That simply isn't what the word 'bumpkin' means.

Here: Yokel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe you can use this as an opportunity to further your understanding of the English language. You'll get there eventually!

:up: thank you! my thoughts exactly (but you put it much more eloquently! :D)

the guy insults an entire nation while getting it blissfully wrong in the process... what is it they say about people in glass houses??

@AGirlLikeTheSea That's exactly what i was talking about, it's a great example, very funny!

@kittycat ok thanks, will take a look...

And another thing that I don't get about these trolls that come here voicing their opinion (which we're not interested in knowing in the first place, really we're NOT!) professing they have a right to say anything they want (which they don't, read the bloody rules!) and then they have the nerve to get all bent out of shape if we dare to object to their comments (always amuses me how these trolls always seem so surprised that his/her negative posts about U2/Bono get shot down! I mean, how dumb can you get?!) and start being abusive and accusatory towards us!! Don't we have the same right as "the trolls" to voice our own opinion?! :huh:

He is just down right rude. He insulted me, my accent, my nationality, friends, family etc. He then got smart by telling me to relax as if I was overreacting. If I called him a French arrogant frog I bet he wouldn’t be happy. Irish people are not stupid and we don’t all live on a farm (not that there is anything wrong with living on a farm). Strasbourg is hardly a buzzing metropolis.

May I remind you guys that if you feel insulted by a post you can use the report post button to alert the mods? It's the little exclamation mark with the red triangle in the left bottom corner of someone's post. If he's breaking the rules, that's the way to get the mods to know about it. :)

May I remind you guys that if you feel insulted by a post you can use the report post button to alert the mods? It's the little exclamation mark with the red triangle in the left bottom corner of someone's post. If he's breaking the rules, that's the way to get the mods to know about it. :)

Oh so that's what that red triangle was for. :lol: I thought it was there for when you were feeling queasy so that you can click on it and a doctor would call to your house

Back to Eve. As everyone else (except for me because of exam) she was watching the Grammys.

Eve Hewson @eve_hewson Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
This is the worst song I've ever heard and the worst performance I have ever seen. She really is a #stupidhoe

I don't know enough about her musical taste to know who she meant. :hmm:

Back to Eve. As everyone else (except for me because of exam) she was watching the Grammys.

This is the worst song I've ever heard and the worst performance I have ever seen. She really is a #stupidhoe

nicki minaj! and the song Stupid o

Yeah, that was the weirdest performance I've seen. I wonder if she was trying to one up Lady Gaga in the audience.

It was either her or Katy Perry.....but my bet is on Minaj

He is just down right rude. He insulted me, my accent, my nationality, friends, family etc. He then got smart by telling me to relax as if I was overreacting. If I called him a French arrogant frog I bet he wouldn’t be happy. Irish people are not stupid and we don’t all live on a farm (not that there is anything wrong with living on a farm). Strasbourg is hardly a buzzing metropolis.

I really don't care about you Mrs "6 posts" including 3 of wich you complain... I spoke only of the irish accent, not the people, so stop your baseless accusations now. I find it very insulting. you seem to be very complexed with your nationality, it's not my problem ok? so leave me alone...

i won't listen to it, i trust Eve, lol, i saw this nicki minaj with Madonna last week and that's enough... :doh:
Adele was great and i liked Taylor Swift too, womans got the power!

I really don't care about you Mrs "6 posts" including 3 of wich you complain... I spoke only of the irish accent, not the people, so stop your baseless accusations now. I find it very insulting. you seem to be very complexed with your nationality, it's not my problem ok? so leave me alone...

Since when does a postcount say anything about someone's right to have an opinion?

If we're endorsing such rules, I'm all for it though. So what of it mr 176 posts?

And YOU are the one who started the insults. You insult a complete nationality with your statement, and don't even realise it. Then you claim you are insulted by people falling over your insults? That makes very little sense.

Perhaps look up the word bumpkin in a dictionary. It's not very flattering and quite insulting. When you insult someone's accent, you insult that person. That's the way things are. You might have not intended it, but it is what you did. It would be wise to apologize so we can all move on.

Since when does a postcount say anything about someone's right to have an opinion?

If we're endorsing such rules, I'm all for it though. So what of it mr 176 posts?

And YOU are the one who started the insults. You insult a complete nationality with your statement, and don't even realise it. Then you claim you are insulted by people falling over your insults? That makes very little sense.

Perhaps look up the word bumpkin in a dictionary. It's not very flattering and quite insulting. When you insult someone's accent, you insult that person. That's the way things are. You might have not intended it, but it is what you did. It would be wise to apologize so we can all move on.

Oh no, YOU again??
always there to raise hell don't you?
This is not your business.

Eve twitted that "Really Bon Iver? It's hard is it?"
What did she meant?
Bon Iver's album is a masterpiece.

l like her spontaneity and i like people in general who are saying what they re actually thinking... And i agree that Minaj seems brainless....

Nesquick you’re an ignorant, arrogant prat. I’ve had my say. Over.

Oh, is it? Ew.

I don't actually know any of her songs. Ha.

Thanks for the info. I take back my scolding of Eve! (I'm sure she's so relieved. :wink: )

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom