Every Breaking Wave - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't know how this Interference trend got started of saying the album version of EBW is somehow "neutered" or inferior in same way. To WHAT?!? This version blows away the meandering bore that was played on 360.
I have liked the passion Bono is bringing to the live versions too, but that goes for pretty much every song. It always takes on new life live.

The album version is beautiful, has forward momentum, a soaring chorus, I don't get the hate on this around here

I love both versions of the song but i think Bono goes into his own place on the acoustic version. He makes it a very emotional song!

I really don't know how this Interference trend got started of saying the album version of EBW is somehow "neutered" or inferior in same way. To WHAT?!? This version blows away the meandering bore that was played on 360.
I have liked the passion Bono is bringing to the live versions too, but that goes for pretty much every song. It always takes on new life live.

The album version is beautiful, has forward momentum, a soaring chorus, I don't get the hate on this around here

The full band album version is the definitive one. Period.

That's what I think too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using U2 Interference mobile app

Otherwise, what was the point of the album version? The acoustic sessions are nice but they shouldn't make it seem like, "yeah we messed up .... This is what we really intended with the song"

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I prefer the album version over the acoustic.

The acoustic, while nice, is bland and boring sounding for the most part. Don't get me wrong, it's a good acoustic song, really good but an acoustic song on its best day is like a used Honda, it will get you where you need to go but I'm not going to enjoy the ride like a 2014 Maserati!

Am I alone in thinking the album version is better than the acoustic version AND the U2 360 live version????

No I'm with you. I prefer the album version with the vocal harmony in the chorus and feel that Edge's piano in the verses of the acoustic version is lacking creativity.

Those aside the building dynamics from the bridge in the live performances has made it a surprisingly impressive number.

Sent from down the rabbit hole

This just gets better and better each listen. I am ready to call it a classic in the league of One and With Or Without You. As far as which way I like it...acoustic with the quiet ocean piano or the full with the stormy ocean...it all depends on the day...but every day I LOVE this song each way it hits the beach. Bravo Bono. Bravo U2.

This song is well on its way to being their biggest hit on U.S. radio since the How to Dismantle singles. With zero promotion, it's already at #49 on Hot AC and #18 on Adult AC and is gaining at a very fast pace.

Off topic.

Everytime that I read this combo at the top of this page:

Don't get me wrong, it's a good acoustic song, really good

Am I alone in thinking the album version is better than the acoustic version AND the U2 360 live version????

No, you're not. :wave:

What I read is:

No, you're not. :wave:

:shifty:

I went back and listened to the U2 360 version of this song and the "chorus" is terrible, especially compared to the album version.

For me, this isn't even a discussion anymore as the album version is far superior to the initial incarnation on tour.

And I'm really finding this song to be great!

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

And I'm still curious to the Lanois/Eno version. ...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using U2 Interference mobile app

I heard EBW on the radio other day. It was on an alternative station that also played The Miracle. This is the most new U2 music I've heard on the radio since HTDAAB.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

This song is well on its way to being their biggest hit on U.S. radio since the How to Dismantle singles. With zero promotion, it's already at #49 on Hot AC and #18 on Adult AC and is gaining at a very fast pace.

"Zero promotion"? I know what you mean, but a free (in many cases, automatic) download to over half a billion iTunes subscribers is pretty good promotion for any of the songs on SOI, I'd say! :wink:

I feel they should combine the slowed down tempo of the acoustic version (along with the beautiful, stretched out vocal deliveries) with a full band approach. Even in the acoustic versions, you really feel the song take flight when the drums kick in (which they started doing in the BBC version up until now). It's sort of a 'Running to Stand Still' moment', where you have this organic build up. I just think we are missing the rest of the band a bit, so why not combine the two? Perhaps instead of piano, Edge should use some arpeggios as he did during the Zoo TV version of 'Running to Stand Still'. That would really soar live…. As it is now, unfortunately, the studio version may just become the hidden classic 'Running to Stand Still' was, buried beneath a dense record, yet a standout live….which is both a shame and, yet, exactly what we love about albums like The Joshua Tree and The Unforgettable Fire (classic songs only made classic because of their live performances, ala 'Bad', a song which, incidentally - in retrospect - has become a thing of beauty on the album….

Hrm. I don't know what going on TV and performing the song is called if you consider there has been zero promotion.

Hrm. I don't know what going on TV and performing the song is called if you consider there has been zero promotion.

There has been zero promotion for this song in the U.S. No Americans other than the U2 diehards have seen the European stuff. I'm sure there will be a U.S. promo tour soon but we're still waiting.

This just gets better and better each listen. I am ready to call it a classic in the league of One and With Or Without You. As far as which way I like it...acoustic with the quiet ocean piano or the full with the stormy ocean...it all depends on the day...but every day I LOVE this song each way it hits the beach. Bravo Bono. Bravo U2.

Well said, but as gorgeous as the acoustic is, the full band is other- worldly, which I describe songs like ASOH, Heartland, TUF, PROMENADE, WTSHNN.... These songs take flight in me it brings me to a happier place or some higher ground.

Well said, but as gorgeous as the acoustic is, the full band is other- worldly, which I describe songs like ASOH, Heartland, TUF, WTSHNN.... These songs take flight in me it brings me to a happier place or some higher ground.
:yes: Along with many others.

I too prefer the album version. The first 20 seconds of the acoustic version reminds me of Adele's Someone Like You.

I wish they had changed the lyrics a bit for the acoustic and had both versions in the album as EBW I and EBW II.

Both versions are really different. One sounds "happy", the other "sad". I like them both, but sure, if I had to pick one, it'll be the album version. I'm confident that this'll be the classic song of this album.

Not sure which would perform better on the radio, though. Because popularity, John, is a fickle bch.

I wish Bono hadn't sung so high on the acoustic version! Otherwise I like that warm piano in the acoustic version. But yeah, overall the album version is miles better, IMO.

Oh.. and the acoustic version on first listen reminded me of Radiohead's Last Flowers. :wink:

Last edited:
I wish Bono hadn't sung so high on the acoustic version! Otherwise I like that warm piano in the acoustic version. But yeah, overall the album version is miles better, IMO.

Oh.. and the acoustic version on first listen reminded me of Radiohead's Last Flowers. :wink:

There is a problem in Bono´s singing approach, his daughter was right, he tries too much, it sounds forced and hysterical. I wish he learnt again how to whisper or sing in lower register. (See Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom