Every Breaking Wave - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird mix. And I mean it's bass heavy at a very low frequency. Noticed it whilst driving. Other than that a really solid song. Like the rest of the album, a slow grower.GREAT chorus

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Why did they put this on the album? Its an old song(live, bu still), but a great song indeed...
Much better then the old live version... :)

Edit: Wow, wasnt that bad idea to let it be on the album...

OMG, not again. WHY on earth do these guys stick to this over and over? Didn't we have enough listening to it live? A B-side of Magnificent (worst song in NLOTH imho) that gets A-side treatment 5 years later. Guess they had to get to 11 songs...

This is the best song on the album. Amazing

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I was seriously scared to listen because I loved the stripped down version so much, but I like it, it's really beautiful. I'm glad the verses didn't change much. The chorus is very poppy now. Not so sure about the ending, it's a bit messy towards the end. Still a truly beautiful song with lovely lyrics and a very good vocal delivery.

It's weird--I didn't like what the band did to Mercy on the 360 tour, but even though they sort of gave EBW the same treatment... I'm really likin' it. One of the early highlights for me

I've got a love/hate thing going on at the moment, I'm glad to get a whole version of it now, and some of it sounds wicked cool, but not loving the sped-up breakdown or all of the textures being used. It's hard because for 4 years we've only had a stripped Bono/Edge version that was just beautiful, and this takes it in a very different direction. Too bad we'll never get to hear the Lanois version.

Couldn't agree with you more. This should have been an epic song!! One of the best they've written in decades. I still don't mind the album version but was hoping for a much more beautiful and sad version...and clocking in at 6 plus minutes. Oh well, at least they were smart enough to include it on the album. Maybe if we're lucky they'll include a stripped down version as a b-side or on the next surprise album!?!?

Couldn't agree with you more. This should have been an epic song!! One of the best they've written in decades. I still don't mind the album version but was hoping for a much more beautiful and sad version...and clocking in at 6 plus minutes. Oh well, at least they were smart enough to include it on the album. Maybe if we're lucky they'll include a stripped down version as a b-side or on the next surprise album!?!?

Having said that, it's the closest to a "hit" like "Beautiful Day" that they've come up with in 14 years!!! Hopefully the second single.

Agreed. I like the album version fine, but they did kind of mangle the bridge... guess they had to when they put the more upbeat chorus on it.

And I would bet this is for sure one of the 'acoustic takes' we get with the extra material on the physical release... easily the one I'd be most excited to hear.

It got better upon a second listen, but this one bores me a little. A song U2 could write in their sleep. I'm glad they gave it some attention, since it was hyped for over five years now. The studio version is not a lot better than the "sleepy" 360 live version. We'll see if it continues to grow on me.

Goosebumps are putting it lightly . Love this song. Thank you U2 for giving us a great life, and for the free album . Can't wait to have the physical version in my hands next month.

I've got a love/hate thing going on at the moment, I'm glad to get a whole version of it now, and some of it sounds wicked cool, but not loving the sped-up breakdown or all of the textures being used. It's hard because for 4 years we've only had a stripped Bono/Edge version that was just beautiful, and this takes it in a very different direction. Too bad we'll never get to hear the Lanois version.

Yes I agree. I do love this full band version but I just wish they would have kept the HEY HEY HEY NOW and I Dont Know If Im That Strong parts in this song.

My favorite song on the album, for now. So much better than the live acoustic version. This needs to be a single.

And yes Bono we know you changed "I thought I heard the master's voice" to "captain's voice" I was going to say captain is more on the nose given the sea trappings, but I suppose in another light master is more on the nose.

Also given the Innocence/Experience thing going on it's interesting this one is on the former. Then again maybe they felt they owed it to the fans 5 years later and who knows if they'll actually follow through (again).

not very innovative but undeniably beautiful.
the line "baby every dog on the street knows that we're in love with defeat..." moves me.

At first listen the song sounds like it would be great in a Michael Bay movie or something... like Transformers or something...

The way the song is arranged here, is lacklustre. It is a work in progress, needs to be given new life through live performances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom