Doves/Elbow Chicago show!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawkfire

The Fly
Just got back from the Doves/Elbow show at the Vic here in Chicago. What a show!! No, I don't have any stories of meeting the bands or anything, but I must comment both bands were in fine form and seemed happy with the venue and show.

Unfortunately, I arrived as Elbow were winding down "Red", my favorite tune. They also played Powder Blue, Newborn and closed with the brilliant Scattered Black and Whites (and Guy Garvey wore jeans and a purple shirt...that's for you Meg, hahaha). They have an acoustic free show at Tower Records tomorrow night too that I may have to go to.

Doves for me are on another planet right now, they opened with a power packed 1-2 punch of Pounding and There Goes The Fear, the latter especially brilliant live. I think many of the fans were only familiar with Lost Souls so the Last Broadcast Songs received a lesser welcome then they deserve. The Doves are at HMV in Toronto tomorrow, I wish they had an instore in Chicago, I'm very jealous!!!

Set (not in exact order): Intro/Pounding/There Goes The Fear/Sea Song/Words/Friday's Dust/Rise/NY/Satellites/Catch The Sun/Caught By The River/Cedar Room Encore: Here It Comes/Spaceface [a pre-doves Sub Sub song from the early 90s, very cool]

All in all a great show. "Fear" in particular was awesome, Cedar Room as expected is always great, Spaceface is a fun song, the band was into it.

For anyone considering, absolutely see the last dates on this tour if you can. Both these bands are excellent and it is a smart billing that makes sense.

Guy in purple....:drool:

I really, really hope Doves play "Words" when I see them. I know on the UK tour that was one of the songs that they rotated in and out of the set.

Sounds awesome! I'm so glad you got to see them. So was Spaceface that last dancey song then? I figured it must have been from their pre-Doves days. Was a total riot. :D

*must go buy CDs* :scream:

I can't wait to hear Spaceface live. I have a live version of it from Audiogalaxy, but it'll be so much better in person.

Oh -- Sula, I LOVE the picture of you and Jimi! And the pictures of Jimi in general -- singing bass player :drool:. I'm adding him to my list. ;)

meegannie said:
Oh -- Sula, I LOVE the picture of you and Jimi! And the pictures of Jimi in general -- singing bass player :drool:. I'm adding him to my list. ;)

teehee. that pic makes me laugh. :lol: I almost didn't post it cuz I look like a dork, but what the hell, eh? Singing LEFT-HANDED bass player no less. Yep, I didn't flip the picture, he really is a lefty. :D Oh and I have a few more of Jimi. I was trying to get the Elbow ones up last night for you so I didn't put all the Doves ones up. Didn't know you would want to see him. ;)

Back
Top Bottom