Don't you think Bono's voice can be a little grating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would prefer a unique voice which bono has over 200 bands that sound like Pearl Jam ripoffs myself.

I think Bono's voice is beautiful because it is so expressive. If you were to grade him on puely vocal technicalities, I am sure that you could find better. But at 44 1/2, he's great!

Yep, I do find it grating. That's part of the reason I have to be in the right mood to listen to U2. When I'm not in that mood, I can't stand his voice, but when I am in the right mood, it's fine.

I don't think his voice has gotten worse over the years, it just matured. All men's voices get like that at one point. As much as I miss hearing 80s Bono wailing it out (like in that In a Lifetime song he did w/ Clannad, oh my lord, awesomeness:drool:) His voice now is still as cool, but just different. I prefer his 90s/current voice over all tho.

I think it's the same w/ David Bowie, his voice matured alot like Bono's, altho he wasn't as soulful as Bono, listen to his early 70s songs, and his newer ones, the depth and range is alot different.

I rest my case:wink:

No. I've always liked his voice. He puts so much emotion into what he sings, and that's one thing I've always loved-that just makes the songs even better for me. And I personally think his voice has sounded outstanding as of late :shrug:.

Yeah, Bono's voice has never grated on me.

Angela

It NEVER grates on me and i can't understand how anyone can think that! :huh: :der: :scratch: :tsk: :rolleyes: :shrug:

Some of you think he isn't a good singer?? Wow!

Many people that aren't U2 fans, often mention Bono as one of the greatest. I've also seen that Bono is taken as an example to people that are learning to sing. And Bono is actually known for his incredible voice and the amazing falsetto (that a very few people can to like Bono). Actually it was only a couple of days ago a friend of mine (not a fan) said that Bono have a great voice that is beautiful to listen to.

U2 fans amaze me!

Last edited:
Angela Harlem said:
OMG beli, are you BLIND?????
he's got the greatest voice EVA, here on interference!

seriously, he does sing well at times. but yeah, they got where they are by writing excellent songs, playing excellent music and having an...excellent sound. thankfully his voice is not the driving force of the band.

:laugh: :lmao:

Your comment Angela Harlem reminds me of the "Ghostbusters" line where a character (I believe Dan Aakroyd's) says, "Shhh...smell that?" :D

I've loved Bono's voice because it is different. But it's not great. He'd be no "Ireland Idol" winner. ;) However, what he lacks in technical talent he makes up for in passion - and that is what has made him an outstanding singer. Josh Groban has an outstanding voice, but many times I feel he lacks the "soul" necessary to really make a song come alive. In contrast, while Bono can hit some great notes, he's nowhere near Groban's level - but he surpasses Groban because Bono's all about soul.

Regardless, even Bono has said that while he's a good singer, he's not great. I agree. :yes: And I admit, there are a few times I've disagreed with how he sung a song (too operatic, too scratchy, too Springsteen-ish, too mellow, too screamy), but when I hit those times, I realize it's time for me to take a mini U2 break. :)

ElectricalVoice said:
Many people that aren't U2 fans, often mention Bono as one of the greatest.

:yes:. Anytime I've mentioned him in "great voices" lists, there's somebody out there who will agree with me, and they're not always people who are diehard U2 fans-they might like a few of their songs, but they aren't nearly as into them as I am.

Angela

Forgot to mention, VH1 did a show in the last year or so about the 25 greatest voices of the last 25 years (or something like this title) and Bono was #4 right behind Freddy Mercury, Whitney Houston, and Miriah Carey. Not to shabby!

Actually, I think QUESTIONS LIKE THIS ARE THE MOST GRATING on my nerves!

Leave Bono alone - he's been through enough.

Don't we have anything better to do with our time?:scratch:

If Bono stops smoking then his beautiful voice will shine even brighter

The color of his voice is beautiful, but he needs to clear it a bit, his real voice is just hiding there

And if he does, Bono will see, people will see that he is indeed the greatest singer

The emotion he puts in his singing is beyond words. I dont think there has been a better singer in that sense, in projecting what the song is about.
He really gets inside the SONG, its just unbelievable!!

Again, please stop the smoking B-man, you'll see even better results.

Jamila said:
Actually, I think QUESTIONS LIKE THIS ARE THE MOST GRATING on my nerves!

Leave Bono alone - he's been through enough.

Don't we have anything better to do with our time?:scratch:

Then don't read the post -- the title's very clear.

And we wouldn't be here (any of us) if we did have "anything better to do with our time." ;)

Bad singer? Has anyone ever tried to hit the notes on Yaweh, Beautiful Day, UV, or COBL? Bad singers don't get that done. Bad singers don't even attempt.

Tennis05 said:
Bad singer? Has anyone ever tried to hit the notes on Yaweh, Beautiful Day, UV, or COBL? Bad singers don't get that done. Bad singers don't even attempt.

Haha, so true-I've had the experience before where I'll be singing along to a U2 song, and Bono'll hit a falsetto note, a really high one, and I stop and basically talk to the radio/CD and am like, "Uh, yeah, Bono, me no able to hit that note..." (yes, I talk to my radio and CDs...I'm weird like that :p).

Seriously, though, I honestly don't know how people can hit some of the higher notes that exist out there. I am definitely not a soprano type of singer, not a falsetto person, so I have tons of respect for anyone who can hit those notes. And that includes Bono.

Angela

I think Bono's voice has come such a long way. When the band first started , Bono could barely carry a note. I do love his raw voice much more in the 80's. he used to sing in the back of his throat, you can hear it. I am a vocalist so I know the right techniques on how to sing properly. Doesn't always mean I do all the time. His voice is much stronger on this album than on the others in the last 11 years. i love it when he sings STYCMIOYO, when he riches that siiiiiiiing, you're the reasone I sing. You are the reason whyyy, the opera is in me. When he sings, the best you can do is to fake it, his break is right there. I believe it is because he is so emtional. :wink:

Last edited:
Does anyone recall on the video to Unforgettable Fire, the scene where he was doing vocals on his own? That is grating :wink: A lot of his voice is hidden behind the music, like any singer I spose.

Ok Bono can hit some high notes. But that doesn't mean that he is a good singer. What matters is how he hits them - the way it sounds. Of course many people can hit high notes, but that doesn't mean it's good for our ears.
There are also great singers out there that cannot hit high notes. Sinatra was a great (amazing) singer, but he seldom went for high notes.
What makes Bono a great singer is much more than that! Listen to All I Want Is You on Slane. Listen to the voice when Bono sings Stay with Edge, and compare their voices. And pay attention to Yahweh when he sings Yahweh the last time on goes into a little falsetto. That is voice control. And how he improvises and make a song sound different with small details and variation.

And Bono has some respect - that's for sure. He sang with Sinatra. That performance is probably one of Bonos finest moments. BB King said on "UK Rock & Roll Hall of Fame": "Bonos voice ... hehehe ... noone has a sound like it but him".

I've never had a problem with his voice, unless I hear him struggling during a tour. But that's generally understandable. He's doing a good job with the 'Sometimes...' vocals right now in any case.

To me, it's not as much voice as it is emotion that comes through the voice. I find bono's scratchy voice quite endearing.

Back
Top Bottom