Does Bono put his money where his mouth is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
considering how good previous threads on this topic have been, i have great expectations for this thread :drool:

You rabblerouser! :madspit:

Bono is a god I tell you. A GOD!!! :rant:

:wink:

You can't be rich, a smart business man, and speak for the poor. Don't you know that?:wink:

Unfortunately they can't speak for themselves, so the wheel will keep turning and they will remain poor and sick...

Am I the only person on this forum who just doesn't care about Bono's bank balance, business and tax activity, or monetary donations to charity? The only person whose bank balance, business/tax activity, and charity donations I'm interested in are my own. Worrying about how much money Bono gets and what he does with it strikes me as a waste of energy.

Axver said:
Am I the only person on this forum who just doesn't care about Bono's bank balance, business and tax activity, or monetary donations to charity? The only person whose bank balance, business/tax activity, and charity donations I'm interested in are my own. Worrying about how much money Bono gets and what he does with it strikes me as a waste of energy.

I hate to sound like your clone again, but I fully agree with you :wink:

i agree, this article should have been about whether bono truly believes in his causes instead.

That's word for word the exact same article that appeared in the Chicago Tribune a week and a half ago, which in large part was a rehash of even earlier articles.
It makes its "case" by omitting any facts that get in the way. For example: "While Bono promotes charitable causes, he doesn't disclose whether he personally gives to them and, if so, how much." Yes, he doesn't disclose this for reasons he has stated many, many times, that charity, publicly disclosed, ceases to be charity and becomes bragging. He takes that part of scripture seriously and has made no secret of it. But of course they leave that out so as to imply that he gives nothing.
Another example: "I believe the ultimate charity donation is to pay your taxes in the country where you live," says some concert promoter. Firstly, that's a pretty odd belief. Paying your taxes is not a "charity donation", it's a legal obligation. Secondly, this implies that U2 don't pay taxes in their own country, which is of course completely untrue.
Thirdly, this is getting really boring.

MrBrau1 said:
if paying taxes is just like giving to charity can I write off my tax payments on my tax return?

:lol:

It's not just like giving to charity, it's "the ultimate charity donation".

Honestly, how could someone say that with a straight face, and how could any "journalist" quote that in all seriousness? It's literally laughable.

Axver said:

:up: He walks the talk, his life is all the example I need to justify anything, if anything at all.

indra said:
You rabblerouser! :madspit:

Bono is a god I tell you. A GOD!!! :rant:

:wink:

Hey it's a stinking hot Sunday morning (it's gonna be 40 degrees CELCIUS here today). What else am I gonna do???? :wink:

I reckon it's grossly unfair that U2 themselves only have these tax deals. I reckon every fan should get a similar tax deal with U2's accountant every time we buy a CD. After we are the ones funding their lifestyle.

It's only right. :yes:

Last edited:
blueeyedgirl said:

Hey it's a stinking hot Sunday morning (it's gonna be 40 degrees CELCIUS here today). What else am I gonna do???? :wink:

And we're getting our coldest weather in two years (highs in the single digits, lows in the negative single digits [F]. Not nearly as bad as some places, but we've had really warm winters lately so we aren't used to it :grumpy: ), so I'm pretty much just hanging around the house. :)

Last edited:
Bono shouldn't put his money where his mouth is.

It's dirty and grimy, and who knows how many nasty germs are on it. I don't care if it might be a good source of fiber. It would be gross.

:tsk:

MrBrau1 said:

The big moments are the last 30 seconds of part 3 and the first minute or so of part 4.

This is available material, why wouldn't "The Age" quote this?

As an added bonus, in the first minute of so of part 4, Bono picks his nose and rolls the boogie in his fingers.

I'm being completely serious.

Go watch it.

Would you just hand over 50% of your income to the government just because you're an entertainer? Do you try to get as many tax reductions as possible when you do your taxes? U2 shells out more than enough money in taxes in property they own alone. They've brought millions of dollars to Ireland in tourism alone. The time and effort Bono spends away from his family alone more than pay his way in the world. That is time spent that can't be regained at any costs. It's priceless. Taxes are a much different issue then forgving debt.

SharkGoddess said:
They've brought millions of dollars to Ireland in tourism alone.

They put Ireland in map for millions of people . One day there should be statues of u2 in Dublin , and the sayin "The History of Ireland before and after these heros"

That was a poorly-cobbled-together article. It LOOKS like it was mashed together from half a dozen others. Journalism today... :rolleyes:

"U2 Tower"?! :huh:

I also don't care about the band's finances. I was cornered by a coworker of a friend and had to defend Bono's charity work... he was fixated on the idea that Bono HAS to donate huge gobs of cash to justify talking governments into doing the same. People are stupid.

I also love how Bono, when he's not working on music or charity campaigns, spends the rest of this time on his investments. Wow, lucky he doesn't have a family. Oh wait...

The Age isn't what it used to be. I hope they didn't actually print that monstrosity in the actual paper.

SharkGoddess said:
Do you try to get as many tax reductions as possible when you do your taxes?

I just did in the last few days and yes I will buy some new tires, clothes, pay some bills and donate to the charities I support.
Just like everyone else in the real world, including Bono and U2, do.
There are so many more worthy issues for them to write about, why don't they? :eyebrow:

MrBrau1 said:

The relevant moments are the last 30 seconds of part 3 and the first minute or so of part 4.

This is available material, why wouldn't "The Age" quote this?

Laziness!

Back
Top Bottom