do you want edge to play more long solos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
phillyfan26 said:
Love is Blindness

That song has a real solo? :huh:

No. Edge does not need to play more solos. His guitar playing is perfect right now, and I wouldn't dare touch it. :|

kingofsorrow said:
edge's solo's are not just solo's. they're moments off insight, flashes off brilliance.

Exactly. The problem with the recent album solos is that they aren't moments of insight, but muted commentaries. The sound fine; I don't mean to knock them. But Edge has never, even on his longest solos, come close to a van halen-type wank-off. He could add more and longer solos without running that risk.
The most beautiful guitar solo I have ever heard, bar none, is Edge on The Fly. It's very simple to play. Nothing sophisticated. But it rips my heart out, every time.

More solos, yes!

Achtung Baby was an Edge heaven - the solos in Even Better Than the Real Thing, Until the End of the World, The Fly, Mysterious Ways (live), Acrobat and Love is Blindness (not only it has a real solo, it´s the greatest solo Edge has ever played - I´m talking about the live version here) are fuckin´ amazing.

We want more!

Steve vai is nothing like Van halen. 90% of van halens solos (excluding poundcake) are total wank fests and do not fit in with the song at all. Steve vai is totally different in his playing style, and just watch that youtube clip of tender surrender to see what I'm saying - fucking genius.
As for Edge, I think he's capable of some much more complex blues solos (nothing like vai obviouisly). However, their recent pop music rarely calls for it. Maybe when U2 realise if they want to call themselves a rock and roll band, they better start acting like one and make rock and roll music, then perhaps this will allow some room for Edge to start playing real rock solo's.

I don't want Edge to play solos the way other guitarists do - then he wouldn't be Edge and we wouldn't love his style.

I do want to hear more Edge-style solos, if you can call them that... My favourite songs live tend to be Mysterious Ways and UTEOTW and Bullet and Love is Blindness, at least half because of the incredible parts he plays on them.

I also think they work better live than in the studio, just because there's that whole different atmosphere. I wasn't that fussed with UTEOTW or LIB until I saw them on the ZooTV video... but then... :drool:

And as other people have said, I just want Edge to play more as he does now. :) If he did play more solos, would they be as singular and special?

I was all ready to go Yes! when I saw this thread, but I think that's just me wanting to see more concerts. :)

Yes. I don't believe in guitarists not using their talent. We know Edge has the talent to play excellent solos, and I think he should make better use of that talent and ignore the closed-minded people who are incapable of appreciating guitar brilliance in action.

I would like to see more solos out of Edge, definetly.

AIWIY solo is brilliant and fits the end of the song so perfectly. But ya he should do it more, studio and live.

I didn't get into "Miracle Drug" live because the solo is my favorite part, and Bono howls over it the whole time and should just be quiet and let us listen to the solo.

How many guitar solos did Pop have?

1? 2? 3?

And I'm the only one that heard one of them.

eat the fucking Cheetoe and stuff it.

Last edited:
unless Edge wakes up one day and has become a completely different sort of guitar player I would have to say: no

LemonMelon said:
That song has a real solo? :huh:

Uh, yes. It does. It's not fake. It's real.

My favorite solo he's ever done. It's partially on the album but is drowned out by Bono:

"Do! Do! Do-do! Do Do Do Do! Do Do Do!"

Do you own ZooTV: Sydney? It's on there.

Also multiple versions on YouTube.

Last edited:
if I want to hear guitar solos I'll play Frank Zappas "Shut up'n play yr guitar" (even Jimi Hendrix claimed Zappa was a better guitar player though Zappa disagreed on that one, which is quite a compliment to Hendrix since Zappa didn't suffer from a low self esteem)

if I want to hear The Edge I play U2

so - as I said before - unless Edge completely changes his style of playing I'll get my guitar solos somewhere else

AussieU2fanman said:
Steve vai is nothing like Van halen. 90% of van halens solos (excluding poundcake) are total wank fests and do not fit in with the song at all. Steve vai is totally different in his playing style, and just watch that youtube clip of tender surrender to see what I'm saying - fucking genius.
As for Edge, I think he's capable of some much more complex blues solos (nothing like vai obviouisly). However, their recent pop music rarely calls for it. Maybe when U2 realise if they want to call themselves a rock and roll band, they better start acting like one and make rock and roll music, then perhaps this will allow some room for Edge to start playing real rock solo's.

To anyone, could the Edge play like the 2 above? What I’m trying to ask is the Edge technically gifted that way? I'm not looking for arguments just your honest opinions please cause I do find this
post rather interesting:wink:

I don't think edge has to do play longer solos... That's just not him... Edge plays songs and has an extraordinary way of doing it, nobody ele plays like him. He's unique and his solos are short but great and I shiver when I listen to love is blindness...

I think Edge is not all about solo's. But, I think this one is worth watching: Desire during the Love Town tour. I have several versions where he pulls this trick and I quite like it :)

Since I'm new, I can't post links, so just remove the spaces and it'll work:

www .youtube .com/watch?v=ViFumvOpY-k

Skip to +/- 4:00 and hear and see Edge show off.

u2s strong point is bono(voice of u2) and the reason why i became a u2 fan, his lyrics and vocals.
edge is not a lead guitar player like hendrix, jimmy page,slash, vai or eddie van halen. edge comes from a punk,new wave background.
but i love what he did with 'all i want is you" the ending is great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom