did you ever hear a U2 song before you knew who they were?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
Did you ever hear U2 on the radio and years later find out who they were? A long time ago I heard "One" on some charity commercial...about 10 years later I bought "Achtung Baby" and when I heard it I nearly fell off my chair.

1994 i heard it...and i didn't buy achtung baby until 2004 but i distinctly remembered it

I take a lot of teasing for all of the U2 photos I have pinned up in my cubicle at work. But people do ask questions about them and are impressed with their longevity because I have an "October" group pic positioned right next to a "HTDAAB" group pic.

Anyway, one of the vice presidents of our company stopped me the other day and said he just purchased one of the greatest hits CDs and that he had never really connected U2 with all of those "really good songs" he had heard for years.

I think there are a lot of people walking around like him.

I remember seeing the video for "New Year's Day" and obviously saw the label saying it was U2, but that was my first exposure to them, and before I really knew who they were.

The sweetest thing
Beautiful Day
Elevation

Its strange because when i 1st heard u2 songs it was like i heard em all before.

Sunday Bloody Sunday & NYD...I didn't know who U2 were yet, but it didn't take me long to find out :)

I saw the video for Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me in 1995 and had no idea who the band was. I didn't get into the band until 1998.

Come to think of it, at the time I thought the video was by this strange group that was on MTV a lot called Pearl Jam. :huh: I was only seven at the time.

First I really remember was when i was really young hearing 'Numb' used in a number of things, and Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car while on a long car journey. When I first listened to Zooropa like 10-11 years later and heard those two i was really surprised!

I saw the One video (the one with the buffallo and flowers and stuff) on MTV when I was 7. I clearly remembered the video, but not the song, and I had no idea who the band were. A year later, Numb came out, and I saw it too. By then I knew who U2 were, and my brother had gotten Zooropa on cassette.
About a decade later, after already being familiar with One as a song, and it's other videos, I finally heard about that other One video, and made the connection that that was the video I saw so long ago, and was indeed, a U2 song.

Yeah, I had definitely heard some songs from JT before I knew who played them. My freshman year of college, my roommate asked me if I liked U2. I said I hadn't heard their stuff, but when he put on the CD, I was like, "Oh, those guys."

I heard I Will Follow on the radio a few times and loved it and loved who was ever singing it. I later found out it was U2 and the affair has gone on till today.:wink:

I used to like The Best of 1980-1990 before I really actually even put together, hey this band is U2. I remember liking tracks 1 and 5 as my favorites, which I now know are Pride and SBS.

I used to hear and I'd see the video of New Years Day (but I never bothered looking of who the band were) and I didn't know they were U2 because I never new that Bono ever had long hair until I saw the R&H dvd...

:reject:

For the longest time I thought U2 covered the song One, but I found out it was their own creation. Sunday Bloody Sunday and The Sweetest Thing were songs that were everywhere but I didn't know as U2 right away.

:ohmy: Ahhh my dear friends...you guys always make me feel olllllld!! I wish other members my age would own up lol
I was living in London in 1980 and heard "Out of Control" on a feature...they were just young lads (as I was a young lassie) have grown up with them...I must say though they helped me through some tough times (finding my lst husband murdered in our home) I have always found "my calm" in their music as it has always revived my "hope"!!! Love Susan

I heard Beautiful Day and it made me a fan....

I'm sure there are occasions, i just don't vividly remember them.

I wore out the Best of 1990-2000 before it occurred to me 'Fuck, these guys are big".

Last edited:
either BD or SBS, not sure which came first, i know my friends played SBS over the speakers before our drama productions, and i heard a cover of BD a lot on the radio...

but i distinctly remember hearing about 'Bono' (lol) as a kid watching MTV

Pride back in 1984. My brother gave me the compilation album of various artists 'NOW, That's What I Call Music 4' (anyone else remember that series of albums?!) as a birthday gift and Pride was the 4th track on disc 2. :wink:

I WILL FOLLOW back in 1981 at 7 years old, i was barely conscious but enough to remember that guitar riff.... then i heard 'New years Day' several times on the radio didn't knowing who they were
I borrowed a cassette with several mixed music from my uncle in 1986 and there was a song called "pride" by U2. I heard it and thought it was the greatest piece of music i had ever heard. My uncle was traveling so i asked her to bring me some U2 music and she brought me U2 LIVE "Under a blood red sky' cassette

When i heard again 'I will follow' and 'New years day', i automatically recalled having heard those melodies several years before:wink:

Yeah, I have 2 older sisters..... who were listening to all the 80's rock stuff. I was 5 or 6 when I probably heard U2 for the first time, back in 1982-83..... in 89 I got into them a rediscover a few song that I already knew..... they were somewhere in my brain.... a very cool experience!

i rememeber seeing the Sweetest Thing video back in 1998.
when i became a U2 fan i realised who it was

Back
Top Bottom