Did U2 want it to leak? - Album to stream on My Space - ARTICLES REGARDING THE LEAK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep – and maybe not actually from Universal. Their shop front site could very likely be managed by a third party.

And it’s weird seeing the little disclosure statement at the bottom of that Forbes article. “Oh yeah, and by the way, Bono owns all this shit”.

i know through my job our e-commerce is outsourced... and every now and then somebody is able to enroll in something they shouldn't be allowed to enroll in because some tech guy was testing something and accidently made the test site live, or just wanted to try it out to see if it would work at some obscure time of the day and somebody just ironicly happened to be there at that time.

not really that big a deal for me... global epic fail if you're principle management.

Whoever leaked it (either the band, or a getmusic employee), I want to buy them a beer.

If they leaked it for the sole purpose of trying to find out what single they should release next ..... they may as well just be on this forum. It;s obvious everyone loves Magnificent. :heart::heart:

I wonder if the leaker was someone at Interference???? :D:hmm::flirt:

u2 album = more than enough publicity.

wow, some fans know it leaked. the general public still isn't going to give more or less of a shit.

Yes the die hards like us know it leaked. What about the casual music sampler? Or someone that kinda likes U2.

Doesn't Paul McGuiness talk out of his arse though. Anyone caught file sharing should have the internet connection severed. And sent to bed with no supper as well I suppose!:lol:

preplanned leaks seem to be u2's constant m/o.:sexywink:

now we need bongo to come out and looked all pissed and lmjr to send out another massive emailing.:angry:
:up:

<>

Yes the die hards like us know it leaked. What about the casual music sampler? Or someone that kinda likes U2.

I love all kinds of music U2 is the only band I follow closely...

Was I aware of any other bands leaked albums recently?..no!..I just learned of a few from reading this forum...but if I was a casual fan..or not a fan at all I wouldn't have known and probably wouldn't have really cared...just my 2 cents :)

Music - News - Bono warns against free music - Digital Spy

Bono warns against free music

Thursday, February 19 2009, 6:34am EST

By Mayer Nissim
Bono warns against free music

Bono has said that the pressure on bands to release their music for free could harm up-and-coming acts and songwriters.

The U2 frontman told The Sun that he still gets as nervous about releasing an album now as when the group first started.

Bono said: "The difference now is for new bands. They are under so much pressure to release their material for free.

"It's different for us, we have a loyal fan base who buy our records. We can also make money from touring, thanks again to our fans, who go out and buy tickets.

"The danger in giving music away free is for writers."

He added that classic writers like Cole Porter would not have been able to earn any money in the current climate, as they do not play live shows.

Last year, Bono publicly disagreed with his manager Paul McGuinness's claims that the pay-what-you-like release of Radiohead album In Rainbows had "backfired".

The singer praised the group's imaginative thinking and courage for the experiment, and described Radiohead as a "sacred talent".

Doesn't Paul McGuiness talk out of his arse though. Anyone caught file sharing should have the internet connection severed. And sent to bed with no supper as well I suppose!:lol:

McGuiness comes across like an arrogant turd in interviews

From Allen Cross' Blog
The Music Geek Blog

The U2 Leak: Was It Staged?
Thursday, February 19, 2009

If there's one thing I've come to admire most about U2 it's their business savvy. Having dealt with their entire organization on a variety of professional levels over the years, I'm always impressed with how together the band and their management is.

Paul McGuinness, their chief overseer an Obi-wan went it comes to money, marketing and strategy, is one of the smartest people in music.

So how did No Line on the Horizon come to be leaked 9 days before it was scheduled to go on sale in Ireland and almost two weeks before its on-sale date in North America? Could this have been...premeditated?

Think about it. U2 would have been monitoring the pre-release hype and the semi-tepid reaction to "Get On Your Boots" in certain quarters.

Why not crank everything up a notch by engaging in a little guerilla tactics on the marketplace? Why not arrange for an "accidental" release of the album through what, for most, is an obscure outlet on the Oz side of the planet?

It wouldn't take much. Getmusic
is a legitimate online seller of music. They also just happen to be the official digital portal of the Australian branch of Universal.

And to which label is U2 signed? Universal. And who owns the masters, the publishing and the copyright of all U2 songs? U2 themselves. In other words, it's there music and they do whatever they damn well please with them.

These tracks weren't pirated, either. From what I understand, they were actually purchased from Getmusic. From there, though, they were ripped and torrented about the planet, generating instant global press within four hours of The Event.

Go ahead: Google "U2 album leak" and see how many major media outlets are now following the story. The whole world is talking about No Line on the Horizon now--and that's gotta be good for business.

What's that? Why give away the music? Let's face it: once the album was released in Ireland on the 27th, we'd have seen the same sort of file-trading.

U2's whole modus operandi involves selling physical product, which is why No Line is coming in a variety of flavours and different price points. The real money will come with the world tour that'll start in a few months.

Then again, this could simply be a software error or a screw up by a tired webmaster. But then again, U2 isn't run by stupid people. This could be part of a grand master plan.

I wouldn't be surprised.

Update on the U2 “Leak”

According to those who monitor such things, No Line on the Horizon was downloaded more than 100,000 times in the first ten hours since the album first appearance online sometime yesterday.

There’s a very strong possibility that the album will be released to radio this evening (eastern time in North America).

I’m still sceptical as to whether this was a real leak or a calculated move. Then again, it’s been pointed out that U2—especially manager Paul McGuinness—have always been vociferously anti-piracy.

Like we aren't going to all run out and buy the gazillion dollar super-deluxe-special edition album the second it drops anyway....

Back
Top Bottom