Coverin' 'Em December 3, 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WKMahler

The Fly
Only in America! :)

Ah,

"Merry Christmas To You" by W. K. Mahler
"Best Of Both Worlds" by Van Halen
"Mean Street" by Van Halen
"Something About Tomorrow" (tease) by W. K. Mahler
"A Sort Of Homecoming" by U2
"Bad" by U2
"Badlands" by Bruce Springsteen

"Badlands" was performed A-Capella and I got to tell you, at times I just didn't feel right singing this song only because it does and does not fit me, after all it's Bruce's song. The reality is, I was near a scream, then I'd take it down then back up again. Some light applause, it's quiet over here at The Black Spot Cafe Bar, MySpace.com - The Black Spot - 35 - Female - Massachusetts - www.myspace.com/theblackspotcafe

"Merry Christmas To You" is dedicated to those not going to be home for Christmas but only in spirit may he/she return.

Some of you are probably wondering, "how dare he mix up Van Halen and U2 with Bruce Springsteen"?

It wasn't easy, there was no setlist ahead of time, just ad libbing, understand.

What I do find fascinating about coverin' Bruce is some people in their early 20's, late teens actually know Bruce. "JayDashKay" a one man folk musician was and is in the know, did appreciate it. Could you, would you imagine "Badlands" as a quiet to rousing to quiet to rousing ballad? Bruce did accomplish that with "Backstreets" out of (I hope I got this correct) in North Dakota once, I do have the bootleg, it's a piano ballad of the song during the "Devil's & Dust" tour.

I don't know about your neighborhood but the mix of young and old that come here are well, just like anyplace else I suppose, the difference is, this is where I can make a difference, as you where you are.

If you don't know "Best Of Both Worlds" or "Mean Streets" well, the lyrics as well as "A Sort Of Homecoming" & "Bad" are available via the net. Other than "Merry Christmas To You", "Badlands" was the only song sang all the way through...

Dunno if that'll rouse anyone into discussing my actions, I hope it inspires someone, anyone. Please remember, it was just me, a E & G harmonica(s) and vocals along with a PA, no harmonica microphone.

How about you?

I hope the titles alone speak a story, the titles being the song titles that I performed. If they don't, well, back to the drawing board.

Open microphone night, Wednesdays @ The Black Spot Cafe
10 Ocean Street, Hyannis, MA. USA. Always free, 7 PM till close
The Black Spot Cafe - Hyannis, MA and or MySpace.com - The Black Spot - 35 - Female - Massachusetts - www.myspace.com/theblackspotcafe

Peace,

William K. Mahler
http://www.myspace.com/wkmahler

Back
Top Bottom