Cosmos Thoughts III: U2 "WTF were they thinking" moments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Two off the top of my head:

1) Not including North and South of the River on POP. Gents, what the hell? Song is incredible and could easily replace Miami and Playboy and lead to a much more consistent and solid record.

2) Glastonbury. Just a bad performance, bad night for the band. I was actually watching some yesterday and they were just completely off. Even Streets was bad with the intro being all messed up and out of time. When Streets is bad, the song that can save any set according to Bono then things just aren't going your way.

1. I love Miami and really like Playboy Mansion, but North and South is one of my all time fav U2 songs, so I absolutely agree about the travesty of not including it on the album.
2. Streets at Glastonbury was cringeworthy which is the exact opposite of how I feel about every other version. The whole song feeds off the intro, and they botched it big time. But it was amazing on the rest of 360. Should've led in with hallelujah or amazing grace. However, the show did have some highlights. Bad was incredible as always, Boots and Vertigo were both good. And The Fly was just as good as always. But Streets was a huge disappointment for me. If they put in a Rose Bowl-esque version, it would've blown the roof off the place. It's a shame that it will be the only version many people have seen of it. Because it didn't have the impact is always does.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

1. I love Miami

Bob....I usually agree with you but Miami? Come on, I can see Someone like Kimmy Gibbler liking this song but not you.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Bob....I usually agree with you but Miami? Come on, I can see Someone like Kimmy Gibbler liking this song but not you.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I never listen to it because I fear that it will be horrible if I do. But last time I heard it, it sounded really cool so I'll just leave my memory of Miami at that. And it was pretty sick live.

Worse than RHMT? Nah

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse.

I'll happily watch the Red Hill Mining Town video, but I can barely look at that version of stuck.

The biggest mystery for me with RHMT is that Neil Jordan, one of the greatest directors of his generation was responsible for it.

Let me throw in the odd "Doo da, Doo da, Doo da" towards the end of Original of the Species. That song is ok most of the way but when he breaks out into that Doo da(that's what it sounds like) it kills the song. If that isn't what he is yelling, then he needs to be more clear. Either way it's an embarrassing moment

The Football 'Stuck in a Moment' video

Spot On. Absolutely terrible.

The other one isn´t much better. That one is too sentimental.

In fact every video from that album is pretty bad. U2 trying to be cool for young generation of listeners. Sucked. (The same is valid about the music and mainly PRODUCTION of that album)

Walk On. Mediocre.

Beautiful Day. Couple kissing for half a minute in the middle of a song and we should witness it. WTF?

Elevation with evil U2 on like puppets on strings. Hilarious. I would give my fortune to see and hear Larry during that moment of shooting, though. :lol::lol::lol:

Just a few notes:
Real Thing from Glastonbury - everyone should realize that some asshole in the backstage caused that their computer with the sample track fell down and was not working for most of the song

Streets - the intro with Jerusalem worked much better than cringeworthy high Amazing grace or contest song Hallelujah, the intro was little bit messed up, but then it was the usual highlight, the whole night was very special, cause U2 were trying very hard like in the old days. I wonder how can anyone pick Fly as a highlight of that concert, when Bono compeletely messed up his guitar playing in the solo

Grammy Boots = eye liner was crap, but song´s performance KICKED SOME MAJOR ASS

Btw. the song itself... put out a single its refrain is made in semitones, the subject is Feministic. Well, I was proud of U2 and still I am. That album was in terms of songwriting so far maybe their biggest experiment (certainly bigger than Pop or Achtung Baby), they should get some recognition! :)

Streets - the intro with Jerusalem worked much better than cringeworthy high Amazing grace or contest song Hallelujah, the intro was little bit messed up, but then it was the usual highlight, the whole night was very special, cause U2 were trying very hard like in the old days. I wonder how can anyone pick Fly as a highlight of that concert, when Bono compeletely messed up his guitar playing in the solo

Are you kidding me? That's the worst version of Streets of all time. Amazing Grace and Hallelujah were amazing segues, Jerusalem was god awful.
And that version of The Fly was a highlight of the concert. Bono's guitar playing is barely noticeable and the rest of the band rocked.

If we're talking worst version of Streets, it has to be something from Vertigo. That was a rough tour for Streets.

If we're talking worst version of Streets, it has to be something from Vertigo. That was a rough tour for Streets.

Yeah. I agree it was bad that tour. It didn't fit well on the Vertigo Tour imo. It seemed too forced like, "hey it's streets we gotta throw it in their somewhere". Unlike elevation, 360, ZooTV and PopMart. Where it was perfectly fit for the show.

Streets at Glastonbury was such a disappointment. Everything about it was just wrong. The placement in the set was bad (6th song...REALLY?), the transition was awful, the intro was rushed (I like having that build-up with the lone synth for a while before the guitar kicks in) and poorly executed; I've never heard Edge do Streets as badly as he did in the beginning at Glastonbury. From the moment I realized they were going for it at that point in the set, and then botching the opening so badly, I screamed internally "NO! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!! YOU'RE RUINING EVERYTHING, STOP THIS!!"

Bono's vocals were ok, though I really miss him doing the drawn-out high note "Aaaalll I can do!" that he's been skipping for a while now. The song could've used that little extra sweetness that night.

The rest of the show I thought was fine, though I still feel so agonized thinking about all the missed opportunities and failures. I mean, they screwed up the first song of the set (though that wasn't really all their fault) and Streets. At a U2 concert, for an audience that a lot of them aren't necessarily huge fans, broadcast live on TV...are there any more unsuitable places to make mistakes on than those two particular songs?

They certainly didn´t ruin Streets at all, Jerusalem was the best beginning (Amazing Graze in the pitch Bono could not sing was a TRUE DISASTER and WTF moment) and the crowd response was immense, Edge had difficulties at the start of his arpeggios, then it was great as usually

They certainly didn´t ruin Streets at all, Jerusalem was the best beginning (Amazing Graze in the pitch Bono could not sing was a TRUE DISASTER and WTF moment) and the crowd response was immense, Edge had difficulties at the start of his arpeggios, then it was great as usually

Did we watch the same performance?

Just a few notes:
Real Thing from Glastonbury - everyone should realize that some asshole in the backstage caused that their computer with the sample track fell down and was not working for most of the song

No no no. I was at the gig right down the front and the fly at glastonbury was the best live song ive heard from any band at any gig ever.

Ebttrt was terrible, really really bad. I dont even see the whole computer thing as an excuse,the band were all over the place for this song.

Glastonbury was good and special in a way that ive always dreamed of seeing them there. But it was hit and miss and it should have been loads better.

I didnt notice the botched streets intro there but on tv it does sound poor

No no no. I was at the gig right down the front and the fly at glastonbury was the best live song ive heard from any band at any gig ever.

Ebttrt was terrible, really really bad. I dont even see the whole computer thing as an excuse,the band were all over the place for this song.

Glastonbury was good and special in a way that ive always dreamed of seeing them there. But it was hit and miss and it should have been loads better.

I didnt notice the botched streets intro there but on tv it does sound poor

The fly has compeletely wrong chords by Bono and his rhytm guitar is quite high in the mix.

For The Real Thing listen to the bootleg, you cannot imagine what disdaster happen if the sample track goes wrong, im happy they were able to finish the song

Another WTF moment

At the event at Kmart when they announced putting out their new album playing a song that is not included ont he new album :hyper:

Listen you goofs: Streets on Vertigo was the beginning of better times for the tune, musically. Did you notice they started performing it in album key again? That's actually really tough to do vocally. There is some weird school of thought oft-repeated around here that somehow the African flags instead of the red screens ruined Streets but that my friends is bullshit.

And what's this about Amazing Grace and Hallelujah? Those two intros were simply awesome, and Bono's falsetto crooning was sublime. As was the Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow verse more recently.

I'm going to have to leave this thread Streets does not belong in it. (Altho Glastonbury was a bit off)

Sent from my ass crack

If a song is in original or higher key it doesn´t make the song a 1% better. I personally would tune the majority of U2 songs a step down tmake Bono´s vocals sound little bit less affected.
For example Amazing grace in standard D was impossible for Bono to sing and for me it is unlistenable :doh:, he should perhaps put it an octave down

Back
Top Bottom