Coldplay In the Year 2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IrishDawg said:

hahaha, of course right after you said that 2 people actually found it funny. That's the way it always works for us eh? :wink:

I think that if you started a coldplay bashing thread around 5 months ago, many more would have found it funny.

But seriously, all Coldplay haters need to get out of their "musical" box. Expand your interests. Your really missing out on some great music.

typhoon said:
Gwenyth%20Paltrow%20350.jpg
:drool:

This IS pretty amusing, but I disagree. Coldplay is a great band with a great future. If they want to shoot for the stars, good for them. They act like they're competing with U2 for a good reason. They know where to set their aim.

babyman said:
Get over with all those Coldplay disappreciation threads, they're a cool band, they do good songs. They're inspired by U2, they actually have taken a lot from their style, but they're good. Maybe not a lot have noticed that Coldplay are U2's heirs in 10 years, or the day when U2 will quit..................
In the end, when U2 started out, from how many other bands have they got inspired??
Think about..................
That's how music goes............
In the very end, even Steven Tyler said that Aerosmith were born wanting to become like Led Zeppelin......................look what Aerosmith have done in more than 30 years career....................

all your points are terrifying to say the least. i think you'd have done coldplay a service by leaving aerosmith out of this, considering how pathetic they are.

and u2's heirs?? heirs to WHAT? what are u2 on the thrown of anyway?

wow.

That "U2's heirs" shit is what pisses a lot of people off. I don't think Coldplay are untalented, but I do think they're boring as all hell, and that kind of band is never going to become as big as U2.

They just don't have that kind of fire. I don't know much about Chris Martin's background, but if I had to guess I'd say "comfortable". Bono is a guy who has issues. He had them before and he has them to this day, despite the family, money and fame. Things like his mother's death and troubled relationship with his father are things that have driven his art and the passion with which he delivers his performances. I get NONE of that when listening to Coldplay. Maybe a sad ballad about when one of Martin's kitties had a hairball or something, but that's about it.

What pisses me off is when I tell my friends about U2, and they go, "ewwwww, they did Vertigo, we like Speed of Sound"

and I know for a fact if they listened to Achtung Baby, or Pop, or UF, or any album for that matter, they would love it

Just all that love for these new U2-influenced bands, and a hate for U2 themselves is beyond me

it's like saying "Oh yes, I hate The Ramones, but oh yes, I love the Hives"

Oh dear here we go again. I don't actually think Coldplay are a bad band. I just think they're currently over-rated by the media and by a large section of the music listening public. I could name 10 bands from the UK alone off the top of my head that have made more interesting music in the past decade and I only have a moderate-sized CD collection. So it's not the level of attention
that Coldplay are getting that annoys me, it's the fact that it squeezes out other talents from getting their due. Which is not Coldplay's fault as such.

Chris Martin? Seems like a nice guy, but I prefer rock stars to have a bit more of an edge to them. But that's just me.

Folks, go listen to some early ('92-'94) Suede, the first two Verve albums, the Stone Roses, the Charlatans, the Happy Mondays - I think all of these made better music than Coldplay are doing now.

I will say this for Coldplay - they gave a quality support performance for U2 at Slane in 2001 - not that easy of a thing to pull off for a band at an early stage in their career.

The fact that you're even having this innane conversation proves that both of these bands are overhyped and oversold.

Listen to some independent music once in a while and support bands that actually need your support (i.e. not multi-platinum selling bands).

Zoomerang96 said:

all your points are terrifying to say the least. i think you'd have done coldplay a service by leaving aerosmith out of this, considering how pathetic they are.

and u2's heirs?? heirs to WHAT? what are u2 on the thrown of anyway?

wow.

That Aerosmith are pathetic is your personal opinion, and lets me think about your music knowledge.
Anyway, I don't want to argue, but if all my points are terrifying, then you want include that certain music doesn't inspire other music??
Hmmmmm..................., that's strange.............it's also strange when Bono mentions how much Ramones, Clash or even Sex Pistols were important to them to compose their own music.......
Not talking about all those fake "punk rock bands" which come out like bees from a beehive. How much comparisons have there been done with the classics Punk rock Bands?
So, where's the problem when Coldplay get inspired by U2?
I agree if you say that they sound similar to them, but Bono doesn't sing in falsetto or play the piano in his songs..........

Coldplay are in the moment a good band, not a great band, but good. You, like other ,just bash them because you don't like them, and that's all.
They're heirs (or potential heirs )of U2 in terms of music genre.

Last edited:
lazarus said:

They just don't have that kind of fire. I don't know much about Chris Martin's background, but if I had to guess I'd say "comfortable". Bono is a guy who has issues. He had them before and he has them to this day, despite the family, money and fame. Things like his mother's death and troubled relationship with his father are things that have driven his art and the passion with which he delivers his performances. I get NONE of that when listening to Coldplay. Maybe a sad ballad about when one of Martin's kitties had a hairball or something, but that's about it.

:up: :up:

They are victims of their own hype and nothing more. If X&Y hadn't been blow out of proportion pre-release like it had, I don't think we'd see all this bashing.

babyman said:

That Aerosmith are pathetic is your personal opinion, and lets me think about your music knowledge.
Anyway, I don't want to argue, but if all my points are terrifying, then you want include that certain music doesn't inspire other music??
Hmmmmm..................., that's strange.............it's also strange when Bono mentions how much Ramones, Clash or even Sex Pistols were important to them to compose their own music.......
Not talking about all those fake "punk rock bands" which come out like bees from a beehive. How much comparisons have there been done with the classics Punk rock Bands?
So, where's the problem when Coldplay get inspired by U2?
I agree if you say that they sound similar to them, but Bono doesn't sing in falsetto or play the piano in his songs..........

Coldplay are in the moment a good band, not a great band, but good. You, like other ,just bash them because you don't like them, and that's all.
They're heirs (or potential heirs )of U2 in terms of music genre.

actually, i'm pretty sure i heard in the news that

what's this?

*presses ear piece closer to ear

yes folks, i can officially confirm that my sources have announced aerosmith to be "utter crap".

and no, i don't hate coldplay. they write some nice songs. it's 7ust they haven't progressed at all, in my opinion. x+y was supposed to be this giant step forward.

uh. well, obviously it wasn't. a sidestep? at best.

doesn't mean they're not talented though. and really, these threads are so pathetic already.

do what 'withashout' says, all of you. go listen to indie music.

Beck :up:
Arcade Fire :up:
Ringside :up:
Apollo Sunshine :up:
Phoenix :up:
The Doves :up:
Porcupine Tree :up:
The Futureheads :up:
Coldplay (2000-2003) :up:
Coldplay (circa 2005) :down:

The working title for one of Coldplays songs was citrus fruit:huh:

Ok, ok, don't say anything, ignore this post, walk away now.......................

:sexywink:

Zootlesque said:

OK OK, I meaned in the way Chris Martin does in all his songs!
:wink:

But wanting to be punctilious, Bono did actually ONE song in falsetto.................and it's Lemon (like inmyplace reminded :wink: )
Nowdays when he tries to do falsetto I call it just THIN VOICE........
Falsetto is still a well diaphragm tecnique...................not a throat exertion...................

yertle-the-turtle said:
If U2 had written any one of those Coldplay songs you'd be saying how great it was.

Baa.

This is one of the best and true things I've ever read on Interference...............
Great Yertle..............it's up to a few saying the truth in just once sentence

i hope they soon stop recording bad cover versions of great songs. again i say most overrated band ever. they are a real pain in the ass :down:

Aerosmith is without a doubt the lamest "legendary" band in rock music.

They put out their best work 30 years ago and haven't even come CLOSE since then.

Run DMC should be excommunicated from Music Nirvana simply for helping them make a comeback. They appealed to the MTV generation by making videos with young, scantily clad hotties like Alicia Silverstone, and making the same song OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Remember that Saturday Night Live skit that kept making combinations of the song titles Amazing, Crazy, and Crying, and they all sounded the same? That was more true than you think.

Also, they are guilty of the worst musical crimes by hiring "hitmakers" to write songs for them, like Dianne Warren and Desmond Child. I can't tell you how fucking pathetic that is. These guys are around for 25 years and need help to put out catchy singles? Blasphemy. That's how you get unforgiveable triple like "I Don't Want to Miss A Thing". Steven Tyler seems like a nice guy, but man that dude is like Pathetic Mick Jagger's Even More Pathetic Younger Brother. You're like 55 and you're wearing all those scarves and robes and all the hair and those lines in your face are so deep and it's just sad to look at.

Take Aerosmith's greatest hits (any of the 5 fucking collections they've probably put out) and stack that against any other classic rock band. They are weak, they are repetitive, and clearly not worthy of such adulation.

Go listen to Guns N Roses and tell me honestly that they didn't make the best Aerosmith record of all time with Appetite For Destruction. At least they had the decency to burn out...unless Axl ever releases that 15 years in the making album.

This thread rocks.

The first post was freakin hilarious... (coldplay sucks... nowadays)...

Aerosmith sucks harder....

and I love those Radiohead references! (especially the raindrops one :)

sit down.. stand up...

yertle-the-turtle said:
If U2 had written any one of those Coldplay songs you'd be saying how great it was.

Baa.

If Bono had written Fix You, I probably would've lost respect for all of his current song writing abilities

LemonMacPhisto said:

If Bono had written Fix You, I probably would've lost respect for all of his current song writing abilities

So would I. Even Elevation has better lyrics than Fix You.

:lol: So funny. I obviously not agree about how Coldplay steal ideas (because they're not), but I couldn't resist of laughing :wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom